Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Angle aluminum will be straighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I don't know what you're complaining about. Straight 2x4s are in the next aisle over from the unicorn saddles.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
I don't think it was this expensive when I bought it, but I just clamp this to whatever I've cutting and works great.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Swanson-Tool-Company-Straight-Edges-6-ft-Metal-Ruler/50438214

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bob Mundon posted:

I don't think it was this expensive when I bought it, but I just clamp this to whatever I've cutting and works great.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Swanson-Tool-Company-Straight-Edges-6-ft-Metal-Ruler/50438214
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Johnson-Level-48-In-Aluminum-Drywall-T-Square/5001502189

I use the t square version of these guys on occasion too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I bought a two-piece 8 foot aluminium guide rail from Home Depot and it's great. It has about 1/2 inch of positive registration surface to run the saw against and it works much better than something low and flat like a ruler.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I just use the factory edge of decent plywood and if I feel fancy I use a second piece of 1/4" under it to prevent tear out on the "good" side.

I'm thinking of going full fancy and building a plywood track so both edges have minimal tearout, but that takes effort and I'd have to store it.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 2, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have seen straight 2x4s, even 16’ers. They just aren’t at Lowe’s Depot and they aren’t #2. If you have a real lumberyard that stocks #1 grade 2x they are much nicer and not usually a ton more expensive.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
DeWalt job site table saw is really good. Absolutely loving the fence and how quickly the blade stops when you shut it off.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Motronic posted:

I'm trying to imagine finding a straight 2x4. And my imagination isn't powerful enough.

Yea but it fuckin kills at large radius arcs

more falafel please posted:

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Eraser-Stick-Abrasive-Sanding/dp/B000H69U7G

It's basically a pencil eraser for sandpaper. It won't fix the grit dulling or flaking off, but if it's just packed with dust, it will remove the dust in no time. One of those sticks will last a looooong time.

I cant believe how well this works cheers mate! Brand new 36grit

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 3, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Deviant posted:

i just clamp a 2x4 to my work piece

Motronic posted:

I'm trying to imagine finding a straight 2x4. And my imagination isn't powerful enough.

tater_salad posted:

my thoguhts exactly.

Deviant posted:

it's good enough for government work.

i do need to find some angle iron though.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Anyone bought one of those knock off flashlights that work with Dewalt batteries? I can’t justify retail pricing on the Dewalt lights. I keep my 20v max batteries charged, checking the battery status and location of flashlights in my house is a pita.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Calidus posted:

Anyone bought one of those knock off flashlights that work with Dewalt batteries? I can’t justify retail pricing on the Dewalt lights. I keep my 20v max batteries charged, checking the battery status and location of flashlights in my house is a pita.

I got this one https://smile.amazon.com/Wokyy-Cord...ols%2C41&sr=1-2

I got the similar actual Dewalt branded one and sent it back immediately because it showed that it had a red-light mode and the one I got didn't have it. Going out in the backyard at night to check on the coop / etc its quite nice to have the red light option.

This one was great until 2 weeks ago I noticed it would fully discharge any battery connected to it over time. So, I still use it and it works great, but if you leave the battery plugged in its going to drain it which is obviously annoying.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

we take you now live to my house

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bondematt posted:

Whelp, in for either a cancellation or screaming deal.

The cosmic coin flip apparently landed on the edge instead of heads or tails.

I got a cancellation email 2 days ago and the charge was taken off of my credit card, but the tools were delivered today.

:wtc:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tyro posted:

I got a cancellation email 2 days ago and the charge was taken off of my credit card, but the tools were delivered today.

gently caress. Yes.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I swear Home Depot is hilarious incompetent when it comes to online orders. I have an angle grinder because my wife ordered $40 worth of Christmas lights.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

Pics of your haul?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Mederlock posted:

Pics of your haul?

I just ordered one. Shipped in a plain brown box that was oversized and had a few holes punched in it by the journey.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tyro posted:

:worship:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

I just ordered one. Shipped in a plain brown box that was oversized and had a few holes punched in it by the journey.

:sun:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
best beware when the Home Depot Repo guys show up to regulate

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Very handy. Problem is they're riveted together and go out of square so easily. So ya dink one end on the floor until it's good again....

Tyro posted:

Please say you bought a lottery ticket that day too......:prayer:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Calidus posted:

I swear Home Depot is hilarious incompetent when it comes to online orders. I have an angle grinder because my wife ordered $40 worth of Christmas lights.
Yeah I've been watching the original slickdeals thread and hearing from other goons how this is going down. Like a LOT of people who got cancellation emails (and charges dropped off their card) are getting their tools in the mail. Even if they didn't even receive tracking in the first place.

It's like a train starts going and Home Depot can't stop it. I wouldn't be surprised if they do an audit later and re-charge people with cancelled orders, received them, and who had charges drop off (since theoretically they delivered the product that was originally agreed upon), but even still the fact people are still getting their price mistake deliveries is great. Now if only OnTrac would finally deliver mine today. :parrot:

Edit: DeWalt tools finally delivered. Too late in day for a picture :toot:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 4, 2022

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Ordered and received 3 of the DeWalt kits, one for me, one for dad, one to sell to dads friend to pay for all 3

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've been following the slick deals thread and it's funny because a few of us got our packages shipped right away. My 3 are with FedEx, made it from Georgia to Kentucky, still a long way from Washington but it's progress. We all thought that was success.

The real successors were the ones who got cancellation emails, had their charges refunded, and still got these delivered. One person on slick deals ordered 12 kits, most if not all, delivered. $1,300 spent for about $13,000 worth of really good tools.

Assuming my stuff actually gets here, at this point I assume it will, this is the single biggest "deal" I've ever found in my 20+ years on the Internet. I remember the days of the SA Freebies and deals thread. I got free nalgene bottles, magazine subscriptions, gift cards etc but never anything worth real money.

Verman fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 4, 2022

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Verman posted:

Assuming my stuff actually gets here, at this point I assume it will, this is the single biggest "deal" I've ever found in my 20+ years on the Internet. I remember the days of the SA Freebies and deals thread. I got free nalgene bottles, magazine subscriptions, gift cards etc but never anything worth real money.
Congrats :toot:

My best was the Sony Camera price mistake from some previous Prime Day. I ended up getting the bad draw and I didn't get a tv from the Samsung TV price mistake (also from Amazon), which may have been my largest if I got it.

They're few and far between... though late Sunday into Monday seems to breed the most successful price mistakes on account of shipping going out that day but people mostly being asleep at the wheel on Sundays.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My best “mistaken price” deal was getting a physical copy of Adobe CS5 direct from Adobe for, like, $50 or $100 or maybe $150? I can’t remember. It might’ve been more like $200 or $250. It was a sum of money that I could afford as a full-time undergraduate with no job.

But this was back in the pre-CC, pre-subscriptions, pre-SaaS days when buying a complete copy of CS was like $2,500, so it was still a screaming deal regardless.

Anyway it was all thanks to this place, the Pig Balls Website.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Verman posted:

I've been following the slick deals thread and it's funny because a few of us got our packages shipped right away. My 3 are with FedEx, made it from Georgia to Kentucky, still a long way from Washington but it's progress. We all thought that was success.

The real successors were the ones who got cancellation emails, had their charges refunded, and still got these delivered. One person on slick deals ordered 12 kits, most if not all, delivered. $1,300 spent for about $13,000 worth of really good tools.

See I hate these assoles.. it's one thing to grab 1-5 for you and your friends but when you start ordering 10+ you're a dick.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Wanna link the slick deals thread, if you could? :hampants:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

Wanna link the slick deals thread, if you could? :hampants:
https://slickdeals.net/f/15596476-7-tool-dewalt-20-volt-max-cordless-combo-kit-with-toughsystem-case-99-free-shipping

tater_salad posted:

See I hate these assoles.. it's one thing to grab 1-5 for you and your friends but when you start ordering 10+ you're a dick.
Yeah... I generally agree, and much of Slickdeals agrees afaik. I'm not so much concerned with the profitability of the shareholders of Home Depot, more than I am that orders like that get flagged and likely reduces the available stock to other would-be deal getters. I have mixed feelings on buying to resell, but that's a longer discussion.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 4, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15596476-7-tool-dewalt-20-volt-max-cordless-combo-kit-with-toughsystem-case-99-free-shipping

Yeah... I generally agree, and much of Slickdeals agrees afaik. I'm not so much concerned with the profitability of the shareholders of Home Depot, more than I am that orders like that get flagged and likely reduces the available stock to other would-be deal getters. I have mixed feelings on buying to resell, but that's a longer discussion.

Oh, I thought it was a thread here on SA, haha. Thank you, though!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BeAuMaN posted:

:agreed:

That and dumbasses calling the store in TYOOL 2022 is wild to see. A manager will just immediately flag that to corporate and cancel on the spot.

I'm cool with fleecing HD for all they're worth, but being a dick and potentialy ruining it for everyone is still being a dick.

I got my box o tools and the only downside is now I need some Dewalt Batteries, a bin to go in the box over the tools, and a top case for my limited Ryobi stuff that I'll keep.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Anyone have experience with EANOSIC router bits? This is a real cheap price for a carbide spiral bit with 2" cutting depth nevermind that it's 3 flutes, but always skeptical of Amazon stuff with this few reviews. Have had good luck with the Spetool 1/2" bit for mortising (until I dropped it), but this is even cheaper than that.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S3GG97K/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_PF89B5ZGB3GAP55P4259?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Personally I would spend more and get a Whiteside bit.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

deimos posted:

Personally I would spend more and get a Whiteside bit.

Quite literally double the price at $73, but what would it have going for it vs say the Spetool bit for $42? Worked pretty well when I used it. I do have the Whiteside 1/4" bit with the 1/2" shank and it's pretty awesome, but jumping between that and the Spetool 1/2" I wouldn't have even noticed the brand difference.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I've recently been fortunate to move into a house and am no longer renting, so I was thinking of getting some tools for building and making stuff. I've heard good reviews of this table saw:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-10-in-Table-Saw-with-Folding-Stand-R4518/309413142

On the other hand, I have some other Ryobi stuff I inherited from family (band saw and miter saw) and I've been pretty happy with the quality and saw this slightly cheaper but otherwise seemingly comparable Ryobi:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-15-Amp-10-in-Expanded-Capacity-Table-Saw-With-Rolling-Stand-RTS23/309412848

Is there any particularly important distinction between them? Is there something about the Rigid that makes it worth dropping the extra $50? Both have the clamp style fence and reviews say it wiggles a bit being put into place which I figured, but I don't think that's a problem I can get around without spending more money.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 8, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Buy tools when you need them for specific projects. Don't just buy tools to have tools.

Table saws are a contentious topic, but the general consensus is that cheap saws are, well, cheap. Frustrating and (even more) dangerous to use. A circular saw and a big pad of foam to stick your workpiece on is probably going to be a better choice than a cheap jobsite saw. It may take more setup to do many tasks, but if you do that setup, it will do those tasks more safely.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JerikTelorian posted:

I've recently been fortunate to move into a house and am no longer renting, so I was thinking of getting some tools for building and making stuff. I've heard good reviews of this table saw:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-10-in-Table-Saw-with-Folding-Stand-R4518/309413142

On the other hand, I have some other Ryobi stuff I inherited from family (band saw and miter saw) and I've been pretty happy with the quality and saw this slightly cheaper but otherwise seemingly comparable Ryobi:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-15-Amp-10-in-Expanded-Capacity-Table-Saw-With-Rolling-Stand-RTS23/309412848

Is there any particularly important distinction between them? Is there something about the Rigid that makes it worth dropping the extra $50? Both have the clamp style fence and reviews say it wiggles a bit being put into place which I figured, but I don't think that's a problem I can get around without spending more money.

I've been casually shopping for a table saw for a while, and I'm a cheap rear end, and I passed on that Rigid saw at a deep discount. I wouldn't even consider a Ryobi one. The fence is what matters if you're buying a table saw. If you're like "I don't care about the fence being precise" ask yourself why you're buying a table saw.

But the point of find the project and then buy the tool is the right approach. What are you wanting to do with the table saw? If you're not concerned about the fence, you might be better off putting that money into a miter saw or a circ saw.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Man home depot is such a mess it's incredible. Congrats to the folks who scooped that tool deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Buy tools when you need them for specific projects. Don't just buy tools to have tools.

Table saws are a contentious topic, but the general consensus is that cheap saws are, well, cheap. Frustrating and (even more) dangerous to use. A circular saw and a big pad of foam to stick your workpiece on is probably going to be a better choice than a cheap jobsite saw. It may take more setup to do many tasks, but if you do that setup, it will do those tasks more safely.

Yes for a table saw to be worth it you need to be able to make accurate repeatable cuts. going cheap you might as well sink that money into the savings account and use a circular saw and a good track for them. i'd say the dewalt with the rack n pinion fence, or the 15 amp delta are kind of the minimum requirement for getting "repeatable accurate cuts"