Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I moved from a job that was a 5 minute walk to another job because I didn't want to go back into the office, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Basic Linux training?

I personally have some minor issues* with this one I'm recommending but I've heard good things from a couple junior admins we had go through it to get some basic Linux experience. Linux Journey. YMMV.

* I started just answering the questions without reading the training bits to see how it was, and for a handful, it didn't accept my perfectly good solution because it wasn't the specific solution it wanted, and in some cases mine was arguably a better solution. That said, that's slightly pedantic, and their solutions were fine for what they're trying to accomplish. It's not designed around "Senior Linux Admin with ~24 years of professional Linux experience" and honestly that's fine for its target audience. None of the stuff was WRONG exactly. [Edit: they also don't say bad things about emacs when they really should]

ssb fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 2, 2022

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Hughmoris posted:

Just lol at that. When I WFH, if my day starts at 0800 that means I'm rolling out of bed at 0757.

This has caused a wee bit of tension in my house as the wife still has to go to her office. So she gets up at 6:45 and I just roll over and snooze until 8, as she sighs heavily

Arquinsiel posted:

I am fully remote now and it turns out that the company culture of "start whenever" and fun projects has resulted in me regularly doing an extra hour or two of work. It helps that it's the kind of place that the boss emails around at 1PM on a Friday and goes "we have no client work on, everyone start your weekend early" though.

We're like that now. Stand ups don't start until 10am and if you don't make it no big deal, you can just enter it in Slack later. You schedule customer meetings as you see fit so that you can also work some internal projects. Kid got sick and kept you up all night? No problem, just log in later if you want and push any meetings you had. You want to go for a walk? Sure, take an hour. Same for food shopping or if you have to take your cat to the vet.

I meet with my boss monthly for one on ones, or see him at a few other meetings. He will email or send Slack messages really early in the morning (he's got young kids) but will always tell you that his working time is not your working time and there is no need to reply right away.

We block off Friday afternoons and you're free to do what you want. Usually get caught up on email or even just having a team "bitch session" on Discord.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 2, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Log into the laptop at 8, run awake.ps1 so teams doesn’t tattle on me, then take the dog for a walk until 9ish during morning standups. Oops we went too far on the trail now we’re home at 930 and work can actually begin.

Hour+ lunch that is blocked off for everyone by the cio, then go meet my daughter at the bus stop at 350, come back, then set away and shut down the laptop at 4pm to cook dinner.

Mysteriously work still gets done!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shortspecialbus posted:

Basic Linux training?

I personally have some minor issues* with this one I'm recommending but I've heard good things from a couple junior admins we had go through it to get some basic Linux experience. Linux Journey. YMMV.

This guys channel is decent

https://youtube.com/c/LearnLinuxtv

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seriously, this kind of thing is so much better. I got what would have taken me two weeks wrapped up, reported, and delivered to the client in under two days this week. I wasn't even pushing myself. That's me done until Friday, when I knock off at ~1PM to go do an exam that makes me get even more money for this much work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’d happily work somewhere that respects “give and take” as a two way street. Sometimes I’ll work later to get something done rather than nickel and dime the company for a couple hours OT, but I don’t expect people to be monitoring the time I’m sat at my laptop in exchange for that.

A lot of this WFH backlash seems to be from middle management who have made entire careers from assessing people based on vibes and presence now having to actually look at what people are contributing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thanks Ants posted:

I’d happily work somewhere that respects “give and take” as a two way street. Sometimes I’ll work later to get something done rather than nickel and dime the company for a couple hours OT, but I don’t expect people to be monitoring the time I’m sat at my laptop in exchange for that.

A lot of this WFH backlash seems to be from middle management who have made entire careers from assessing people based on vibes and presence now having to actually look at what people are contributing.

All of this is true.

My team lead is happy with the work I do. And if something needs a bump in priority, he's always very clear about if I should shift that way. It's rare that I have nothing pressing to do, but being remote makes it easier to start new tasks because I don't have to contend with traffic.

We still have some management that's very butts-in-seats focused and I can't wrap my head around this mentality, especially for younger people at a supposedly modern company.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I just want to brag about my on call

I've been doing rotations for a year and a half and got called a single time. When I got logged on the guy said, nevermind I don't need help.

Free moneyyyyyyyyyyyy

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

Pull up, thread!

Work commute chat: My last job had a commute of 45 minutes to the office (2 times a week). poo poo sucked. At my new job, I made it a priority to live as close as reasonably possible to work. Now I have a 6 minute commute door-to-door and that change is worth its weight in gold.

I mapped it out and it's about a 2.5 mile walk. I'm thinking that's doable a few times a week, and I'm sure that walk would be great for my mental health after sitting all day.

Also an excellent distance to ride a bike, e-bike, or e-scooter!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Renegret posted:

I've been doing rotations for a year and a half and got called a single time. When I got logged on the guy said, nevermind I don't need help.

Free moneyyyyyyyyyyyy

Those are the best.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

Free moneyyyyyyyyyyyy

We just had our now yearly "So, what do all of you think about on call" meeting. They tried to sneak it in differently this year, this time just wanted someone who was available to answer questions about who the help desk should contact.
Which doesn't make sense, as pretty much anyone in our 2 groups can answer any question in their group. But can't do much for the other, so we'd have 2 people having to do this. What wasn't answered is if the person who is on call can't fix the problem, then what? Do they call someone else? But if that person isn't on call, what insures they are around to do anything about it?
Also, they didn't really mention how it would work with hours people have. Most people in our group are morning people, so they are in at 7am. But the rest come in at 8. So do we adjust hours to cover this window? Because coming in at 7 and potentially working 12 hours sucks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlexDeGruven posted:

All of this is true.

My team lead is happy with the work I do. And if something needs a bump in priority, he's always very clear about if I should shift that way. It's rare that I have nothing pressing to do, but being remote makes it easier to start new tasks because I don't have to contend with traffic.

We still have some management that's very butts-in-seats focused and I can't wrap my head around this mentality, especially for younger people at a supposedly modern company.

I can't control you if I can't see you, and as manager it's my job to control you while you're at work so nobody notices MY slacking!! :pseudo:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CitizenKain posted:

We just had our now yearly "So, what do all of you think about on call" meeting. They tried to sneak it in differently this year, this time just wanted someone who was available to answer questions about who the help desk should contact.
Which doesn't make sense, as pretty much anyone in our 2 groups can answer any question in their group. But can't do much for the other, so we'd have 2 people having to do this. What wasn't answered is if the person who is on call can't fix the problem, then what? Do they call someone else? But if that person isn't on call, what insures they are around to do anything about it?
Also, they didn't really mention how it would work with hours people have. Most people in our group are morning people, so they are in at 7am. But the rest come in at 8. So do we adjust hours to cover this window? Because coming in at 7 and potentially working 12 hours sucks.
That sounds like you need to formalise an escalations path and hand the document to helpdesk TBH.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arquinsiel posted:

I am fully remote now and it turns out that the company culture of "start whenever" and fun projects has resulted in me regularly doing an extra hour or two of work. It helps that it's the kind of place that the boss emails around at 1PM on a Friday and goes "we have no client work on, everyone start your weekend early" though.

My new gig is also fully remote and we have rough hour expectations (I'm 9-5 local, which is so much nicer than the 7-4 I had at $JOB-1) but it's also crazy flexible if need be. I recently had to put my cat down and everyone actively told me to get my rear end off my work laptop and be with my partner and grieve.

It feels nice for my team to value me as me and not just a cog to the company machine. :unsmith:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

My new gig is also fully remote and we have rough hour expectations (I'm 9-5 local, which is so much nicer than the 7-4 I had at $JOB-1) but it's also crazy flexible if need be. I recently had to put my cat down and everyone actively told me to get my rear end off my work laptop and be with my partner and grieve.

It feels nice for my team to value me as me and not just a cog to the company machine. :unsmith:

Yeah. A lot of "if I can't see my people they're not working" management got their methods completely invalidated with the pandemic. We had a record year in 2019, sent everyone home in March of 2020, and then doubled 2019's record.

But there are still leaders who insisted on going back to the office as quickly as possible and "strongly encouraged" their people to do so as well, even though their actual productivity showed better performance being remote.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I'm full remote due to a TBI sustained back in early December; management still wants everyone, including service desk, in the office. Got a job offer from the job fair thread, had to put it on hold during my treatments. They said they'd hold it for me, I hope that holds true as recovery is taking longer than anticipated.

My job counts the minutes I put in tickets. I've had appointments every day this week; Monday was occupational therapy, Tuesday was acupuncture, Wednesday was speech therapy, today is optometry, tomorrow is med management, Saturday is an MRI. I get to make up the minutes those appointments cut out of the workday until I hit 40 hours.

I am very very jealous of those 9-5 "just get your work done" jobs; my last position as a printer tech was like that. I put in 11.5 billable hours yesterday around speech therapy just to make up for what I couldn't finish after occupational therapy. If short term disability were an option I'd be on it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah. A lot of "if I can't see my people they're not working" management got their methods completely invalidated with the pandemic. We had a record year in 2019, sent everyone home in March of 2020, and then doubled 2019's record.

But there are still leaders who insisted on going back to the office as quickly as possible and "strongly encouraged" their people to do so as well, even though their actual productivity showed better performance being remote.

Thats what killed me about my last job. The whole reason I quit is because they wouldnt let us work remotely despite having a record breaking year for profits all while working from home!

I talked to the internal recruiter that hired me for that position a few weeks ago, since I know her casually through some other friends, and she said they're struggling now to fill positions of tech people that left for full time remote jobs.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thats what killed me about my last job. The whole reason I quit is because they wouldnt let us work remotely despite having a record breaking year for profits all while working from home!

I talked to the internal recruiter that hired me for that position a few weeks ago, since I know her casually through some other friends, and she said they're struggling now to fill positions of tech people that left for full time remote jobs.

Yup. Adapt or die. I still see posts go by for "Remote during the pandemic". Sorry, my dudes, I'm definitely not relocating, especially to a much more expensive area.

Literally the only job I would relocate for would be IBM Lab Services, and that would be to Austin. But even then, I probably wouldn't go anywhere near Texas until the political climate in this country changes dramatically.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Just want to mention that I had an absolutely excellent Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/mrbellek/status/1488826156325511168

(Hopefully that also shows the first tweet)

Two hours after this, I had my yearly performance review. It went very well. Been walking on sunshine for the entire day.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Two hours after this, I had my yearly performance review. It went very well. Been walking on sunshine for the entire day.

Nice! Receiving praise for your hard work is always a great feeling, and is why I always try to publicly applaud others' efforts. It costs me nothing and it usually makes their day.

Side note: I love a good optimization story. What's the gist of your refactor?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That’s awesome, it’s always nice to get recognition when you put in some good work.

Sadly doesn’t happen often enough in a lot of places.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

At $JOB-1 I had an Outlook folder specifically for things just like that.

It was my smallest folder by multiple orders of magnitude but it was the most impactful in terms of job satisfaction and burnout reduction. :unsmith:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

My management realizes we are terminally underpaid and tries to make up for it with a constant stream of recognition. It's pretty nice, but I'd rather have the money

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

I negotiated full remote, it went suspiciously easy until I got a message asking why I wasn’t in the office. “You’re full remote except for the days I want you to come in”

:yotj:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xsf421 posted:

I negotiated full remote, it went suspiciously easy until I got a message asking why I wasn’t in the office. “You’re full remote except for the days I want you to come in”

Lmao :killing:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

lol WTF.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

xsf421 posted:

I mean, did this person ask you to come in and you ignored it? Did this person expect mind reading?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xsf421 posted:

The benefit of living a few thousand miles away from how is that they can’t pull this poo poo on me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Be like IBM and tell 1,000 people they have to be on site in Missouri by end of year. This happened right before covid.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xsf421 posted:

That's an interesting way to tell you to start looking for a job while you wait for them to find themselves a breach of contract lawsuit.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

xsf421 posted:

You know what to do... :sever: :yotj:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

If my WFH time starts at 8am, I roll out of bed at 8:30am. Sometimes 9am. Unless someone has me scheduled for an early meeting or pings me earlier on Slack.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Hughmoris posted:

Side note: I love a good optimization story. What's the gist of your refactor?

It was a semi-unattended import of 68 csv files into a few databases that consisted of a huge mess of shell scripts, php files, perl scripts and filter lists that all piped stuff to each other, generated even more PHP on the fly, written by an old (ex-)sysadmin. There really wasn't any way to go but up when I rewrote the whole thing. It went from 8 hours to run to about 25 minutes.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

It was a semi-unattended import of 68 csv files into a few databases that consisted of a huge mess of shell scripts, php files, perl scripts and filter lists that all piped stuff to each other, generated even more PHP on the fly, written by an old (ex-)sysadmin. There really wasn't any way to go but up when I rewrote the whole thing. It went from 8 hours to run to about 25 minutes.

KISS, motherfucker, KISS

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Comprehending that level of poo poo is an achievement TBH.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PHP that generated other PHP :gonk:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chin up everything sucks posted:

If my WFH time starts at 8am, I roll out of bed at 8:30am. Sometimes 9am. Unless someone has me scheduled for an early meeting or pings me earlier on Slack.

I would do this too but my overbearing coworker starts asking where anyone is even its a minute after the hour.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
we have daily WFH check-in meetings at 8:15 which is weird because it disrupts me from getting into any real work I were to start at 8:00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

cage-free egghead posted:

I would do this too but my overbearing coworker starts asking where anyone is even its a minute after the hour.

Coworker, not manager?

<30 minutes later> "Sorry I was busy with some tasks". Offer no other explanation if pressed on it. Repeat until they give up. gently caress that noise.