Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

idk if this was funnier in my head or not but I'm feeling it.

They don't work without filters, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

idk if this was funnier in my head or not but I'm feeling it.

Please do not doxx me like that.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

Insurance bros reported on average 40% increase in deaths among 18-60 year age group in the working population a year out from their infection with covid. It bears the data out.

reminds of that episode of TNG with Crusher thinking she’s losing it as more and more people on the Enterprise just keep disappearing and everyone acts like those people never existed and Crusher is crazy for being concerned. Kinda been resonating with me lately lmao.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

lol "this is so dystopian and hosed up"

little kid: "hi robot! :3:"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Crazyweasel posted:

it’s already here

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1488988097014636546?s=20&t=DM-ENWxPJuW9H8YASkspgw

but also lol

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1489397947599048704?s=20&t=DM-ENWxPJuW9H8YASkspgw

between Pete’s car deaths and NY gun deaths I don’t know how we will survive as a nation

Didn't someone say that something like one COVID death in America every 36 seconds?
About as many people die of COVID in an hour, then, as die of guns in a day.

Lol.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

not_superiority posted:

is filterbuy.com a reputable filter vendor?

Iron Crowned posted:

I assume so, that's where I bought the MERV filters for my apartment, and even if there are better manufacturers out there, they're definitely a step up from the free garbage my apartment installs.

unfortunately it seems the FilterBuy filters are not good

https://twitter.com/hughchurchill/status/1428008929011900419

https://twitter.com/JimRosenthal4/status/1413923455188275203

e: oops this was posted on reply to them already

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 4, 2022

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

According to Worldometer the current number of active cases of covid in the US is around 29 million: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

So yeah, there's going to be a shitload of people laid up in bed

Literally ten percent of the population.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MMania posted:

Covid deaths skew 75% over age 65, so I'm wondering what can logically explain cops teaching schools, 18 year olds volunteering as EMTs, etc. Is this people cherry-picking bad stories or is the actual cause of our problems just people laid up in bed for a week multiplied by millions of cases? Even if 100% of the non-confirmed-Covid excess deaths over the last two years were all young teachers/truck drivers/etc, that's only 250k in a country of 360M which, while tragic for their families, isn't enough to really change much. Maybe long covid afflicting 10% of all cases times 80M confirmed, so 8M Americans having trouble remembering things and going up stairs, decreasing productivity in an uncountable way depending on way too many factors to consider at a population level.

It's most likely a combination of long COVID and uncounted deaths among younger people who die of complications after resolving their COVID infections. There was a life insurance company claiming a 40% increase in mortality among the working-age population, and that's probably reasonably significant. If that's true, it would mean a lot of the excess deaths above and beyond the official COVID statistics are probably younger people since older people are dying directly during the acute stage of infection and getting counted in official statistics.

You're also not considering that the US economy really does run on a razor's edge. A million people dropping out of the workforce due to a combination of death, disability, or caring for family members wrecked by COVID would have a huge impact. That's going to create a ton of pressure on employers at the lowest end of the wage scale, and local small business economies run on borderline slave labor.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Strep Vote posted:

Literally ten percent of the population.

are you against 10% of the population getting quick and effective natural immunity??

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Also, you're getting stories about teacher shortages because teacher shortages have always existed and educators are fleeing the school system in droves since everyone is making it abundantly clear that their lives don't matter. We took a job that was already pretty lovely even if you loved doing it, and spiced it up with "also parents now expect you to die at your desk if that's what's necessary to keep their kids in class." That's really a unique situation compared to other labor issues.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Well poo poo. Sucks that my apartment apparently uses some weird rear end filter size

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

According to Worldometer the current number of active cases of covid in the US is around 29 million: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

So yeah, there's going to be a shitload of people laid up in bed

Lazy loving people. GET BACK TO WORK :commisar:

BUBBA GUMP SHRIMP CO NEEDS CUSTOMERS

Lastgirl posted:

may? it did

sig snipe

ed balls

Kellyanne could have said "I'm not the using Conway on Twitty". It was right there!

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Iron Crowned posted:

They don't work without filters, hth
Curses! Thanks. I'll just say that they were hard to find back then and not that I'm too lazy to fix it

Skrode
May 9, 2018

Lawlicaust posted:

I know we’ve joked about it for months but this is actually the end of “covid.” Yes, SARS COV-2 is still going to spread, mutate, and reap people around the world, possibly for the rest of our lives. But the seriousness of how society approaches and addresses covid is done.

Omicron was the perfect test of consent manufacturing by downplaying the threat and then just not talking about it. There’s no massive public outcry, the Chicago teachers Union backed down, etc. There’s absolutely no reason for most people to take the threat seriously beyond a strictly personal level.

We’ve reached the same point as the Trump thread, the climate change thread, and the economics thread. Nothing will change, nothing will improve. We can all yell into the void forever but mass infection and covid death is just baked in.

Protect yourself. Protect your family. Prepare for some dark years ahead.

Dad's a liberal physician, was saying "open her up" to me last night; we never closed dad! Godspeed goons.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

For real

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

Grab this data now if you want anything to work back accurately with.

They are absolutely going to move Covid-19 into the influenza and pneumonia category, backdate the changes to 2020, and find some way to inflate the pre-2020 numbers to make the increase look less insane. All of the official data will be revised going back as far as they can.

So what you're saying is that me having downloaded every HHS hospitalization report since July 2020 may end up being useful?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Paradoxish posted:

Also, you're getting stories about teacher shortages because teacher shortages have always existed and educators are fleeing the school system in droves since everyone is making it abundantly clear that their lives don't matter. We took a job that was already pretty lovely even if you loved doing it, and spiced it up with "also parents now expect you to die at your desk if that's what's necessary to keep their kids in class." That's really a unique situation compared to other labor issues.

really hope there's a unified teacher strike across the nation coming soon.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Louisgod posted:

lol, lmao

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

what’s the CSPAM preferred vaporizer for smoking REEFER?

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Labor has caved at every given opportunity for a while now.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Zisky posted:

lol, lmao

yeah yeah, hope in one hand and poo poo in the other and see which one fills up first

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Louisgod posted:

i can envision this across cities across the nation but rural teachers tend to be chuds

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paradoxish posted:

They're expected to control their classes with absolutely no authority to punish anyone and are rapidly approaching the responsibility/authority levels of a Walmart cashier. 3 lesson plans for the 3 different permutations of school that might be going on, in person, remote, both.

Wonder when they're just going to give up and make public school explicitly just a parking lot for your kids.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Louisgod posted:

yeah yeah, hope in one hand and poo poo in the other and see which one fills up first

I admire that you still have a shred of hope left. I just don't see how anything changes (for the better) at this point.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what's this about gandhi loving off

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
did anyone else get an irs letter saying they got a $1400 payment under the American rescue plan? I thought all the trumpbux were in 2020

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

We keep in contact with our kid's former NYC public school teachers and it sounds so miserable. I don't know why they do it. Often they're effectively having to run remote and in person classes at the same time due to the number of kids that are out for isolation or quarantine. All the posturing from the NYC admin that there would be no remote option and it happened anyway, just in a haphazard and unplanned manner that's inferior to last year's online school implementation.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Worth noting

Adult Hospitalizations are dropping faster than Child Hospitalizations. Adults have dropped 25% in the past 10 days and kids have only dropped 15.

And 20k people a day are still being admitted

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Arizer Solo II is probably the best dry herb vape, the Planet of the Vapes ONE is pretty good too

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

skooma512 posted:

They're expected to control their classes with absolutely no authority to punish anyone and are rapidly approaching the responsibility/authority levels of a Walmart cashier. 3 lesson plans for the 3 different permutations of school that might be going on, in person, remote, both.

Wonder when they're just going to give up and make public school explicitly just a parking lot for your kids.

The solution to overwhelmed hospitals and burnt-out nurses is to pay ungodly massive amounts of money to traveling nurse agencies.

The solution to overwhelmed schools and burnt-out teachers is to crush teachers' unions, demand teachers return to classrooms, double their workloads with hybrid classes, and publicly berate them for wanting a safer work environment.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Labor is dead, if grampa announcing mandatory death and maiming for workers and children didn't result in wildcat strikes nothing will

A literal ghoul pulled straight out of a children's book told Chicago to die and they were like :hmmyes:

We're hosed accelerationists were right just put the pedal down harder

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Evil_Greven posted:

um mr president, that would be over 38k homicides a year but it's around half that
also covid does this in 10 days lately

This number probably includes suicides

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Too Many Birds posted:

hospitals were no longer required to report any numbers starting feb 1st IIRC

Pretty sure that turned out to not be right and the number they stopped collecting was never used for the aggregates because it was bad, even for American data. Clearly they did it to fake out the paranoids in advance of the real fuckery.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's a classic reduction to absurdity. There is either fully open all the time with no restrictions whatsoever or everyone gets locked into a basement oubliette for the rest of their lives, and nothing in between, because that sort of paradigm is the only way you can justify what's happening.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ericgeller/status/1487123315290374145

I'm telling you, it's a matter of time before the CIA is airdropping COVID+ people into China.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
teachers cant go on strike because they are poor as poo poo and theres no strike fund heres to hoping tho

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

https://www.planetofthevapes.com/products/arizer-v-tower-vaporizer

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Arizer Extreme Q

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

SURPRISE TWIST

I hope Rat-Covid kills all of us

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

teachers cant go on strike because they are poor as poo poo and theres no strike fund heres to hoping tho

Some areas actually pay their teachers pretty well and even those teachers are quitting in huge numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Like someone else said, they should copy-paste AP or NYT or the official press release and change a couple words around. Plus I’m sure the editors would have something to say if you went off script.

Plus it’s not like intelligence agencies haven’t been caught with their hands in that cookie jar before :nsa:. And inevitably they all answer to a billionaire.

No one will complain if you change a few words from the NYT story. Content done, over to the ad boys. If you want to write a story with any original content it's a lot more work for you and your editor. Hope you hit those deadlines.