Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What is a good social credit score? What is the scale of the system? Is it 1-100? Is 100 the best score you can get while 0 is the worst? Does anyone have an idea as to what the average social credit score is?

Is there any evidence that any numerical "score" exists anywhere in China today? All I can find reference to are a series of whitelist/blacklist measures. Maybe for businesses and local governments? For how many Beijingologists there are out there, it's really frustrating how hard it is to find information on China in English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol, I guess I wasnt clear enough. I was referring to sesame credit. luckily, wikipedia has an article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhima_Credit). this is like a credit score by a private company I guess, but it's like 1/100th as important as any credit score in america. I have signed leases, and opened bank accounts without any reference to this.

what the thread is discussing is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System. This does not exist for 99.99% of people in china. nobody thinks about it or knows anything about it. I dont doubt that the chinese govt has like, a list of fugitives who arent allowed to buy train tickets. like a no fly list. I doubt there's any country in the world that doesn't have something like that. but this system does not exist for 99.99% of people. maybe in the future a system will be developed, but for the last 6 years they havent done anything.

if they wanted to track everyone and enforce behaviors, they have the perfect opportunity with the health kit app covid that you need to access almost every business. however, they don't use it in this way, and nobody really cares. in fact, you can still go into businesses without using it if you just write your name on a piece of paper. I know people want to believe that china is some surveillance state hell, but I feel that I was surveilled just as much/more in america than I am here.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

China Law Translate has done some excellent translations and tracing of the actual legal documentation around the "social credit" system, and as mentioned it is more like a blacklist / whitelist system and less like a credit score system, focusing on legal violations.

https://jamestown.org/program/far-from-a-panopticon-social-credit-focuses-on-legal-violations/
https://www.chinalawtranslate.com/en/social-credit-documents/

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Not So Fast posted:

China Law Translate has done some excellent translations and tracing of the actual legal documentation around the "social credit" system, and as mentioned it is more like a blacklist / whitelist system and less like a credit score system, focusing on legal violations.

https://jamestown.org/program/far-from-a-panopticon-social-credit-focuses-on-legal-violations/

That is a cool source, thank you

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

Thanks a bunch for this citation! Social credit as a sort of probationary hold on select individuals is much more comprehendible than any sort of score

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

Thanks a bunch for this citation! Social credit as a sort of probationary hold on select individuals is much more comprehendible than any sort of score

Kinda. If you read through the various articles on the sources linked, essentially the blacklist system was completed years ago as a component of the national social credit system project while the (more complicated) social credit system itself is still in a trial stage with multiple different ongoing regional trials, but no unified national system. The stated intent is absolutely to have a national social credit system and those regional systems are absolutely intended as a step in developing it.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 5, 2022

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I've found this, it explains some of the apps used as pilots for social credit systems.

https://ub.triviumchina.com/2019/10/long-read-the-apps-of-chinas-social-credit-system/

Basic stuff, but hard to argue it doesn't exist.

That said if I had an app that I could use to report bad behavior on public transit I'd definitely use it to report everyone trying to get on the train before people get off ffs.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Not So Fast posted:

Thank you for this.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why do you believe this system exists so much? Why does people telling you it doesn’t not change your opinions on if it does?

I asked you directly whether you live in China or not and whether you have had any personal dealings with the social credit system. Instead of answering you just sit there and continue to poo poo up the thread. So I will ask again, do you live in China? If so what is your personal experience with it? I'll add this question too now - if you don't live in China can you give us some sources that non-mainlanders like us would rely on that categorically reject the existence of a social credit system?

Mirello posted:

social credit doesn't exist in any meaningful way. I've lived in china for the last 6 years. the closest interaction I had to a system similar to it, is that my gf 5 years ago had a sesame credit score through alipay, and it was at a certain level so we didn't need to pay a deposit for an apt we were renting.

I really want to emphasize this to everyone reading the thread who doesnt have first hand experience in china: if you read any comments online involving china, people always say that stupid "+100 social credit joke". there is a widespread belief outside of china that everyone has a social credit score that governs their lives. I (and everyone else who has first hand experience with china) have told you that this does not exist. think about what other things you believe about china just because you read about them online. please ask yourselves if the sources you've used to create your beliefs about this society are actually credible, and if they are lying, what might their motivations be?

Thank you for your personal anecdote which seems to line up with what credible foreign sources that I already posted indicated (a western one no less) - that the system is fragmentory at best. The entire addon past the your personal anecdote was totally unnecessary and sadly, Horatius Bonar feel for the bait. We all know your personal experience is just that - your personal experience. If you wanted to make the assertion that Foreign Policy article was wrong and that the social credit system wasn't even as deep as fp.com indicated, then at least post sources, especially since you live on the mainland and have more awareness of publications than those of us outside the mainland. This is how the thread always gets poo poo up with two dozen useless posts of arguing with no sources. Always devolves into 'I am right' - 'no you are not' bullshit with no links. The only person recently who tried to make the claim the social credit system was an all-consuming cancer was CommieGR and I, the most anti-CCP person in the thread, already put that take to rest immediately. There probably wasn't any need to come charging in with that 2nd paragraph.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Horatius Bonar posted:

I've found this, it explains some of the apps used as pilots for social credit systems.

https://ub.triviumchina.com/2019/10/long-read-the-apps-of-chinas-social-credit-system/

Basic stuff, but hard to argue it doesn't exist.

That said if I had an app that I could use to report bad behavior on public transit I'd definitely use it to report everyone trying to get on the train before people get off ffs.

“ One of the most pervasive myths about the social credit system is that China’s central government is issuing social credit scores to every individual. The typical story goes something like this: every Chinese citizen will receive a social credit score from the central government based on their behavior. Those with low scores will be socially ostracized, and those with high scores will be the new upper class.

The problem with this story is that it’s simply not true. As of September 2019, the central government has not issued a social credit score to any Chinese citizen.”

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ballsy of the PRC to have a Uighur light the Olympic torch.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Ballsy of the PRC to have a Uighur light the Olympic torch.

Other countries use a torch.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

“ One of the most pervasive myths about the social credit system is that China’s central government is issuing social credit scores to every individual. The typical story goes something like this: every Chinese citizen will receive a social credit score from the central government based on their behavior. Those with low scores will be socially ostracized, and those with high scores will be the new upper class.

The problem with this story is that it’s simply not true. As of September 2019, the central government has not issued a social credit score to any Chinese citizen.”

Oh what about local government? Is local government being encouraged by the central government to develop their own scoring systems for local residents?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

:chloe:

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Rust Martialis posted:

Epic

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

karthun posted:

Oh what about local government? Is local government being encouraged by the central government to develop their own scoring systems for local residents?

You could click the links people post and see? The last link posted talks about how social credit for individuals isn’t really a thing and isn’t planned to be.

“ As we’ve harped on elsewhere, although western commenters are mostly focused on social credit as it relates to citizens, the primary purpose of SCS data collection is to regulate the behavior of businesses in the market, and force corporations to comply with existing operational rules.”

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Dude, read the entire article before quoting it. Right after the section you quoted is

"These city-based scoring systems give residents a (usually) numerical credit score based not only on financial factors, like their debt repayment history, but on social factors, like whether or not they’ve received awards for good citizenship, whether or not they’ve engaged in fraud or plagiarism, and whether or not they’ve defaulted on child support payments, donated blood or volunteered for charity.

But before the “Black Mirror” references start rolling, it bears pointing out that cities are developing these scoring systems independently. Though this may change, there’s currently no nationally-mandated standard for individual social credit scoring, so every city scores its residents on a different scale. In Suzhou, social credit scores can range from 0-200. In Hangzhou, from 0-1000. And even in cities where the actual scoring ranges are the same, the algorithmic models used to determine those scores differ.."

"That’s not to say scoring doesn’t play a role in the app: the My Nanjing app does include a point system (not tied to social credit) which gamifies environmental protection. “Green points” are assigned to users based on their public transportation choices, with points earned for walking, biking, taking the bus or riding the subway. Citizens can earn double points for not driving on heavily-polluted days."

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

MikeC posted:

Dude, read the entire article before quoting it. Right after the section you quoted is

"These city-based scoring systems give residents a (usually) numerical credit score based not only on financial factors, like their debt repayment history, but on social factors, like whether or not they’ve received awards for good citizenship, whether or not they’ve engaged in fraud or plagiarism, and whether or not they’ve defaulted on child support payments, donated blood or volunteered for charity.

But before the “Black Mirror” references start rolling, it bears pointing out that cities are developing these scoring systems independently. Though this may change, there’s currently no nationally-mandated standard for individual social credit scoring, so every city scores its residents on a different scale. In Suzhou, social credit scores can range from 0-200. In Hangzhou, from 0-1000. And even in cities where the actual scoring ranges are the same, the algorithmic models used to determine those scores differ.."

"That’s not to say scoring doesn’t play a role in the app: the My Nanjing app does include a point system (not tied to social credit) which gamifies environmental protection. “Green points” are assigned to users based on their public transportation choices, with points earned for walking, biking, taking the bus or riding the subway. Citizens can earn double points for not driving on heavily-polluted days."

Does the article tell you what a good credit score is? Or what the scale is? Is 100 a good or bad score? Average?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

karthun posted:

Yes, several regional systems exist. The idea is to run a bunch of parallel trials regionally to work out a system that can eventually be used on the national level.

Nobody is given a social credit score by the national government. Depending on where you live you might get a social credit score from a regional government - or at least through a company running a social credit system on their behalf, with their support. On the national level the blacklists developed for the national social credit system do exist and have been used to penalize people for various things - but not for a score in a national social credit system because that doesn't exist yet.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MikeC posted:

Literally no one would call a “green points” system where you can bus to work and trade points for a small gift “social credit” if it was any city on earth except one in China.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

MikeC posted:

So, experimenting with it on an actual numerical system that resembles western financial credit? This is explicitly what I will continue to hope they NOT pioneer, and I will continue to hope that this dies in the loving crib of localized city or regional experimentation.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Kavros posted:

So, experimenting with it on an actual numerical system that resembles western financial credit? This is explicitly what I will continue to hope they NOT pioneer, and I will continue to hope that this dies in the loving crib of localized city or regional experimentation.

If you read the translation of the senior CCP official a couple of posts I made above, you can see that the intention of these scores *should be* to encourage good behaviour and never to be used to deny individuals basic rights and services regardless of how trash their score is. I actually believe them (the central government) on that. But much like their COVID Zero enforcements which is handled largely by local officials and governments, the social credit system is similarly being developed largely at the initiative of local governments (as numerous articles/sources posted recently confirm). I can just imagine similar "overreach" or "overzealous" enforcement of the system just like COVID Zero enforcement leading to some awful outcomes for certain individuals.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

MikeC posted:

If you read the translation of the senior CCP official a couple of posts I made above, you can see that the intention of these scores *should be* to encourage good behaviour and never to be used to deny individuals basic rights and services regardless of how trash their score is. I actually believe them (the central government) on that. But much like their COVID Zero enforcements which is handled largely by local officials and governments, the social credit system is similarly being developed largely at the initiative of local governments (as numerous articles/sources posted recently confirm). I can just imagine similar "overreach" or "overzealous" enforcement of the system just like COVID Zero enforcement leading to some awful outcomes for certain individuals.

glad we have your imagination on the case, inspector ruff

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fuligin posted:

glad we have your imagination on the case, inspector ruff

I'm not sure it takes that much imagination, since that's how a lot of Chinese government policies seem to work; there's a vague directive from the central government, and the most extreme implementation is by some local governments, often in rural areas. It's a systematic problem with the way the Chinese government is organized. I think there was a great post in this thread a few years ago about this process, but I can't find it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Well it looks like some sources say there is a numerical score but cannot tell anyone what that score is. Others say that it is a series of black and white censorship but cannot explain who or why certain sources are censored. Yet here itt are people who live in the PRC telling us neither of those things exist at all.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Silver2195 posted:

I'm not sure it takes that much imagination, since that's how a lot of Chinese government policies seem to work; there's a vague directive from the central government, and the most extreme implementation is by some local governments, often in rural areas. It's a systematic problem with the way the Chinese government is organized. I think there was a great post in this thread a few years ago about this process, but I can't find it.

Local experimentation before transferring and scaling things nationally is how almost all policy innovation in China has happened since 1978. It can also originate from the bottom up, where a provincial or local government does something (or even local non-government actors who are just like gently caress it) and it takes off.

Detour on financial credit scoring...

Some posts seem to be conflating a social credit system with personal financial credit scores. Financial credit scores in the US emerged from local stores offering credit to customers, which turned into amassing, standardizing, and optimizing the data. It wasn't a state-led effort, though has since been regulated, and now only utilizes financial variables, not data that can be used to redline. I'm not sure how they're abused or used beyond access to finance these days, but without them getting financing would be an even bigger pain in the rear end. You'd have to pay much higher interest to offset the risk of borrowing as an unknown customer and/or you'd have to provide a bunch of evidence for underwriters every time you borrowed more money or went to a new creditor. I'd venture that fixing the problems with credit rating is better than doing away with them.

(Financial) credit rating in other countries is super interesting. The US had 100 years for its system to grow organically. Developing countries (or the financial sectors within them) don't want to wait that long to get their citizens banked. But unbanked people almost by definition do not have the data needed for financial credit scores. This has led to tons of 'alternative data' solutions for credit scoring, and in my experience they have all been unintentionally reinventing redlining. I never followed the Chinese fintech scene, but it's safe to assume many of them are/were underwriting products with data that caused outcomes they did not intend. (I used to invest in financial inclusion startups in the rest of the world, and it was a universal feature.)

Given how horribly wrong financial credit scoring can go, I would be incredibly skeptical of any social scoring system, even if it's taken at face value as functioning for purposes I agree with.

Finally, I've seen posts on the last few pages just outright self-identifying as pro-China or anti-China. We all have biases, and it's good to be self-aware of our biases. But, uh, you don't have to embrace your bias and lean into it, especially when it's something as broad in meaning as China.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Well it looks like some sources say there is a numerical score but cannot tell anyone what that score is. Others say that it is a series of black and white censorship but cannot explain who or why certain sources are censored. Yet here itt are people who live in the PRC telling us neither of those things exist at all.

What's the significance of it being a numerical score or not? You could use the exact same data to produce an arbitrary number (1-10 or 0-800) or an arbitrary category (Good-Bad, Red-Green, A-F grades). Even FICO scores have both quantitative and qualitative presentations (say, 700+ is "Excellent" and colored in green, etc.) and generally binary outcomes (you get approved or not). I don't think that observation is strong evidence for anything.

And we've got a sample size of like 10 people who live in PRC or have extensive experience living there. I don't dismiss their (our) experience. I think it's at least as valuable as a lot of the other evidence sources we rely on. But it's also far from conclusive. To me the collective lived experiences of goons indicate that there is currently no widespread, in-your-face social credit system, but I wouldn't extrapolate further than that.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Smeef posted:

What's the significance of it being a numerical score or not? You could use the exact same data to produce an arbitrary number (1-10 or 0-800) or an arbitrary category (Good-Bad, Red-Green, A-F grades). Even FICO scores have both quantitative and qualitative presentations (say, 700+ is "Excellent" and colored in green, etc.) and generally binary outcomes (you get approved or not). I don't think that observation is strong evidence for anything.

And we've got a sample size of like 10 people who live in PRC or have extensive experience living there. I don't dismiss their (our) experience. I think it's at least as valuable as a lot of the other evidence sources we rely on. But it's also far from conclusive. To me the collective lived experiences of goons indicate that there is currently no widespread, in-your-face social credit system, but I wouldn't extrapolate further than that.

That's kind of my point. Multiple posters have claimed there is some sort of overbearing credit system and yet none of them can provide exactly what it is. All the details are ominous, frightening, and hazy as poo poo. Some claim it's a number. Ok, what's the number? Some claim it's a censorship apparatus. Ok, what are they using the credit system to censor? Meanwhile, actual real posters are reporting that nothing of the sort is happening and for some strange reason we are supposed to believe think pieces by some idiot who doesn't even speak the language and has never lived in the PRC. Nothing of substance has ever been provided for the existence of a social credit system at all, just some spitballing by a party official.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That's kind of my point. Multiple posters have claimed there is some sort of overbearing credit system and yet none of them can provide exactly what it is. All the details are ominous, frightening, and hazy as poo poo. Some claim it's a number. Ok, what's the number? Some claim it's a censorship apparatus. Ok, what are they using the credit system to censor? Meanwhile, actual real posters are reporting that nothing of the sort is happening and for some strange reason we are supposed to believe think pieces by some idiot who doesn't even speak the language and has never lived in the PRC. Nothing of substance has ever been provided for the existence of a social credit system at all, just some spitballing by a party official.

When has any sort of "credit system" ever been a good thing? Even the credit scores used for financial decisions is a massively crappy and rigged system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnlTCTwwWmc

Why would a social credit system ever be a good thing? Ever? Even assuming its poorly done, its a system designed to promote specific ideals and get people to fit them. And are you claiming here that the PRC does no censorship? At all?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

Why would a social credit system ever be a good thing? Ever?

It could be used as an alternative to market mechanisms for allocating scarce resources. Instead of money (and therefore price) being the way scarce commodities are distributed, a social credit system could take other factors into account, such as the type of labor performed or other social signals. I only make an abstract reply because you asked an abstract question.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

When has any sort of "credit system" ever been a good thing? Even the credit scores used for financial decisions is a massively crappy and rigged system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnlTCTwwWmc

Why would a social credit system ever be a good thing? Ever? Even assuming its poorly done, its a system designed to promote specific ideals and get people to fit them. And are you claiming here that the PRC does no censorship? At all?

I'm not sure what this has to do with my post.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
I don't think I saw any posts arguing in support of a social credit system. It all seemed to be about (1) if a widespread, overbearing system existed or (2) if a social credit system existed in more of a pilot-like form somewhere.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

It could be used as an alternative to market mechanisms for allocating scarce resources. Instead of money (and therefore price) being the way scarce commodities are distributed, a social credit system could take other factors into account, such as the type of labor performed or other social signals. I only make an abstract reply because you asked an abstract question.

I seem to recall the Soviets tried this, and it usually resulted in people starving.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Smeef posted:

The significance is that if it's a real thing a basic question like this should be answerable very trivially.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reporting on China has to be the easiest thing in the world, you can just make poo poo up and everyone will believe you, even if it totally contradicts what you said last week.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reporting on China has to be the easiest thing in the world, you can just make poo poo up and everyone will believe you, even if it totally contradicts what you said last week.

Agreed, CCTV-9 is hard to watch sometimes because of this.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The significance is that if it's a real thing a basic question like this should be answerable very trivially.

I'm one of the posters who shared my experience with seeing no signs of the social credit system, so I'm of the view that it certainly is not widespread and overt. I wouldn't go so far as to say the whole idea is fake news, though, because it could be in a small-scale and low-key pilot, or maybe it was tested and scrapped. Regardless, for a number of reasons (many mundane), the system could still exist without public information on really specific elements of the system, like if it scores on a 1-10 scale or 0-800 or whatever.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
It exists, it's just neither universal nor something very committed to yet. The system being talked about has the appearances of something that is being sort of a/b tested regionally as the ccp looks for ways to structure systems of social control. They're not necessarily going to go forward with it, nor is it the creepiest thing they do as a government by far.

I would prefer it remain a curiosity that didn't go anywhere and stops being talked about.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Xiamen in Fujian is one city running a pilot program.

Good news everyone, it's clear you get a numerical score (0-1000, start with 500, 650+ is considered a good score) AND a rating of bad, average, good, excellent, and excellent. Yes. Other pilot cities have their own metrics, it's not a uniform system.

http://www.wenming.cn/jwmsxf_294/cxjszdh/202108/t20210810_6138284.shtml

And then there's public reporting of untrustworthy individuals, you get named and, presumably, shamed. To what effect I have no idea. Maybe this one puts you on the no-fly/no-train list. There's also one for business, for things like not paying migrant workers, or for your business not being able to be contacted at the listed address/phone number which seems to be the majority from the ones I looked through.

https://www.creditchina.gov.cn/gere...%9F%A5%E8%AF%A2

And then there's the non-governmental systems, you can have numbers for those.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't understand why the bolded part is such a problem. After all, we have plenty of idiots on these very forums who don't even speak the language or have ever lived in the PRC, and yet they absolutely worship both the country and its dear leader. They come into threads like this just asking questions whenever someone brings up something even remotely objectionable that China does. ;)

To answer the question though, "social credit" is part of Xi's vision that describes how various government entities across all levels should share data when it comes to implementing and enforcing laws and policies. The current implementations are quite limited, as well as severely fragmented.

There are two reasons why you haven't heard any specifics, and why no one appears able to provide any when asked. First, it's a fairly new Thing, and there is no central unified framework (at least not yet) and thus there are substantial differences in how various regional governments have gone about trying to implement what are basically very rough pre-alpha versions. This is something the CCP is aware of, and they have reportedly started working on a "Social Credit Law" to act as a guide, but that's probably at least some years away (see second link below). Second, unlike the various credit scores in the West, social credit — at least its current various implementations — remains not very digitized. According to a friend who travels to China and back frequently, there are no websites where you can check your social credit score or anything like that. A lot of its elements rely heavily on manual activities that can have subjective and non-standard outcomes, such as police investigations.

This fairly recent article, which can be run through a translator, sheds light on some of the challenges: Ten key research directions for the construction of the social credit system in 2020.

Here is a translated "Draft for Solicitation of Public Comments" about the social credit system: Guiding Opinions on Further Regulating the Scope of Inclusions in Public Credit Information, Punishments for Untrustworthiness, and Credit Restoration to Build Long-term and Effective Mechanisms for Establishing Creditworthiness. The intro paragraph covers the scope:

quote:

The Party Central Committee and the State Council place great importance on efforts to establish a social credit system. Each region and department is to follow the decisions and arrangements of the Party Central Commission and State Council to firmly promote the establishment of the social credit system, giving play to its active role in strengthening social awareness of creditworthiness, supporting the reform of 'streamlining administration and improving services' and optimizing the business environment. The following Opinions are put forward so as to thoroughly implement the requirements of the fourth plenum of the 19th Party Congress to "improve long-term effective mechanisms for the establishment of creditworthiness", to earnestly implement the "Regulations on Optimizing the Business Environment", to further clarify the scope of credit information, to carry out credit punishments in accordance with laws and regulations, to improve credit restoration mechanisms for untrustworthy entities, and to increase the level of legality and regulation in the establishment of the social credit system.

The document has repeated mentions of "trustworthiness". I don't know if it's an accurate translation and I'm not certain if there's a cultural subtext, but it seems that social credit is meant to be a measure of how trustworthy someone is. How one goes about determining that objectively and fairly within the context of a credit system is anyone's guess (because, as CommieGIR noted, the West's various financial credit systems are collectively an absolute mess, and rife with all kinds of injustices and abuses), but that itself appears to be a major area of focus for the current Five-Year Plan. I think it's fair to say that nobody knows what the end result will be like, or even how many different end results will be. That said, considering China's obsession with... let's just call it "social control", potential applications are quite worrisome, if not outright scary. Here's South China Morning Post, known to have become closely affiliated with the Chinese government since its purchase by Alibaba in 2016, reporting on it — I'm linking it for the "straight out of the horse's mouth, or at least as close to one can get to it" effect:

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3096090/what-chinas-social-credit-system-and-why-it-controversial

quote:

Explainer | What is China’s social credit system and why is it controversial?

• China’s social credit system is a set of databases and initiatives that monitor and assess the trustworthiness of individuals, companies and government entities
  • A good rating could offer priority health care or deposit-free renting of public housing, while a negative rating could see individuals banned from flights and trains

China’s social credit system, by its wide definition, is a set of databases and initiatives that monitor and assess the trustworthiness of individuals, companies and government entities. Each entry is given a social credit score, with reward for those who have a high rating and punishments for those with low scores.

The databases are managed by China’s economic planner, the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), the People’s Bank of China (PBOC) and the country’s court system.

Most of the data is gathered from traditional sources such as financial, criminal and governmental records, as well as existing data from registry offices along with third-party sources such as online credit platforms. The Chinese government is also experimenting with collecting data via video surveillance and real-time data transfers, such as monitoring emission data from factories, although these are not considered primary sources.

The State Council first outlined the plan in 2014 covering individuals, businesses, social interactions and judicial administration, with the system expected to be rolled out by the end of 2020.

And while it is similar to the credit ratings provided for individuals and corporations in other countries, the Chinese version is also capable of expanding from personal credit to other aspects of life to include bill payments and criminal convictions.
Business entities, including foreign businesses in China, are subject to a corporate credit system, tracking information such as tax payments, bank loan repayments and employment disputes.

“Those who lose credibility will find it hard to make a tiny step in society,” Premier Li Keqiang said in a speech in 2018.

How does China’s social credit system work?

The social credit system compiles a score for both individuals and companies after collecting, aggregating and analysing data from different sources.

For businesses, in addition to its own operations, companies are asked to submit information on their partners and suppliers to local and national authorities. Bad behaviour, low trustworthiness and ratings from suppliers and customers will also influence a company’s own credit score.

A good rating will lead to rewards, while a poor rating could see an individual or a company punished or sanctioned.

Individuals who are deemed untrustworthy could face a number of restrictions affecting areas including loans, travelling by air and rail as well as education.

In a bid to encourage good behaviour, some local governments have offered incentives such as prioritising health care provision and waiving deposits to rent public housing.

According to a report on the corporate social credit system published by the European Chamber of Commerce in China in 2019, the reward mechanism is not as developed as the sanctioning element.

The report found that sanctions are not limited to fines or court orders, and companies that have been blacklisted could face higher inspection rates and targeted audits, restrictions in government approvals of land-use rights and investment permits.

They may also be excluded from preferential policies, such as subsidies and tax rebates, as well as face restrictions on public procurement. Individuals and companies deemed untrustworthy will also be publicly named and shamed.

Local governments are also required to submit information, including their finances, to the centralised system. According to Chinese court rules, local governments are deemed untrustworthy if they have failed to pay contractors on time or have fabricated data.

Government officials in such cases are then prevented from buying tickets above economy class on flights, trains and ferries. They are also prohibited from racking up large bills at high-end hotels, night clubs and golf courses, as well as from buying or renovating property.

Individuals or firms who have been blacklisted over minor offences can apply to have their status restored when they have repaid their debts and have maintained a good credit record for a certain period of time.

“When we discuss restoring credit, it's mainly aimed at minor or regular offences. Those who have committed serious offences or violations will not be taken off the blacklist ... their untrustworthy record will be kept for a long time, according to law," said Lian Weiliang, deputy director of the NDRC in July 2019.

[...]

What is the progress of China’s social credit system?

For now, the system is still under development and relatively fragmented when it comes to data-sharing between different databases.

According to data from the People’s Bank of China (PBOC), the nation’s central bank, the social credit system already covered 1.02 billion individuals and 28.34 million companies and organisations by the end of 2019. Many of these had already been rated, and some had even been blacklisted.

The NDRC said in July 2019 that 2.56 million people had been restricted from taking flights, 90,000 people had been prevented from using high-speed rail services and 300,000 people had been deemed untrustworthy by Chinese courts.

Hundreds of companies and local governments have also been named and shamed over offences such as not paying workers and contractors on time, or for illegal fundraising.

Some foreign firms, though, are witnessing rising costs to comply with data disclosures. The European Union Chamber in China report also said that while the databases have a large amount of data, the system is still far from being fully implemented.
The execution of the sanctioning mechanisms and data sharing among different parts of the system is also still incomplete – something that China will improve in the coming years, the report added.

[...]

So yes, the system does exist, and already covers a billion people to varying extents. And the Chinese government across all levels appears to be aware that they have only scratched the surface in terms of its potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ok, if the system already covers a billion people then you should be able to provide a social credit score for an individual or business or at the very least an idea of what a good score should be. 10? 100? 10000000?