Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

This is good.

https://twitter.com/freedoughnut/status/1490009906732310528?s=20&t=Bf4vradQmdzE9MJez-bwVA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The first time I read it I tried hard not to spoiler myself or look up too much explanatory stuff or fandom memes, but this time through I’m taking my time about it so I can be sure I don’t miss anything important.

And, lol the “Darkfriend Social”

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think she was, and wasn't she present at Elaida kicking down Siuan's door?

She was. In fact, the Wheel Takes lady hates Danelle because she was smirking the whole time, so that reveal should be fun

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Well of course she was smirking. She's going how loving stupid are you people I didn't even have to do anything

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I appreciate that I'm in the same category as the character I use for my avatar. How do the rest of you people not eat 'em one stick at a time? Barbarians, I tell you. :colbert:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Well of course she was smirking. She's going how loving stupid are you people I didn't even have to do anything

:colbert: Which is why I believe she's the most competent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

She has a cool avatar, too. Though Semirhage's fire-lady is p good

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Thing is, Mesaana doesn't really DO anything. She lets Alviarin meddle a little, but mostly just keeps her head down and lets Elaida do all the real damage all by herself. Semirhage, on the other hand, gets her hands dirty killing the entire royal family of Seanchan (save Tuon), which takes an entire continent of armies and enslaved channelers off the board. The Seanchan in Westlands ain't getting reinforcements ever, not even once they learn Travelling and could go back home in an instant if they wanted to. The Seanchan Empire is hosed, and that was all Semirhage. Secondly, her sadism in using Rand to try to kill Min gets him to tap the True Power through his link with Moridin. That corruption, along with the psychological scars, push him into becoming Darth Rand for most of TGS, and if Rand's powers hadn't faltered at the exact moment he tried to Balefire-Nuke Ebou Dar, she would have turned him to the Dark and won the whole thing for the Dark One once and for all.

By comparison, Mesaana twiddling her thumbs in the Tower, sipping tea, and watching the Aes Sedai tear themselves apart has negligible impact, especially since Egwene reverses all her progress in the span of an afternoon. Even if Rand managed to de-Darth himself, the Seanchan Empire is still hosed at the end of the series, after all.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I always wondered how crossing balefire streams managed to link Rand and Moridin. It seems like touching balefire streams would create a time paradox but beyond that idk

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

goethe.cx posted:

I always wondered how crossing balefire streams managed to link Rand and Moridin. It seems like touching balefire streams would create a time paradox but beyond that idk

*Loial voice* Ta’veren!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think she was, and wasn't she present at Elaida kicking down Siuan's door?

She was present for that yeah, just didn't think she was a sitter.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Hexel posted:

That reminds me: why the hell did Lan’s bond pass to Myrelle if Moiraine did not die? Was it because she went “off world”?

When the redstone gateway broke, there were no channels or connections between the westlands and the lands of the aelfinn, so the connection broke

Is, i believe, roughly the offical answer. Might be wrong

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Looks like we’ve got more evidence for a season 3

https://twitter.com/janyasedai/status/1490054983080759296?s=21

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

imo Forsaken should be considered on how much they're in and add to the story whether they suck or not.

So in my scientific analysis Moghedien is one of the best Chosen bar none.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 6, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Democratic Pirate posted:

*Loial voice* Ta’veren!

Wasn't Moridin's true power balefire? been awhile so maybe wrong. just a random question not about ta'veren

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 6, 2022

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Moggy definitely gets more page time than anyone else which makes her feel a little more fleshed out and less of a caricature.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Thing is, Mesaana doesn't really DO anything.

This still makes her one of the most effective of the forsaken, and also one of the smartest. Never interfere with your enemies when they're in the process of destroying themselves. She interferes only as much as needed to keep the ball rolling.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

A lot of the male forsaken took over nations and states drawing mad attention to themselves and got destroyed with a quickness. Just lol at Be’lal

The clever ones who stayed in the shadows lived longer and were more effective imo

Need less resurrections too :laugh:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Thing is, Mesaana doesn't really DO anything. She lets Alviarin meddle a little, but mostly just keeps her head down and lets Elaida do all the real damage all by herself. Semirhage, on the other hand, gets her hands dirty killing the entire royal family of Seanchan (save Tuon), which takes an entire continent of armies and enslaved channelers off the board. The Seanchan in Westlands ain't getting reinforcements ever, not even once they learn Travelling and could go back home in an instant if they wanted to. The Seanchan Empire is hosed, and that was all Semirhage. Secondly, her sadism in using Rand to try to kill Min gets him to tap the True Power through his link with Moridin. That corruption, along with the psychological scars, push him into becoming Darth Rand for most of TGS, and if Rand's powers hadn't faltered at the exact moment he tried to Balefire-Nuke Ebou Dar, she would have turned him to the Dark and won the whole thing for the Dark One once and for all.

By comparison, Mesaana twiddling her thumbs in the Tower, sipping tea, and watching the Aes Sedai tear themselves apart has negligible impact, especially since Egwene reverses all her progress in the span of an afternoon. Even if Rand managed to de-Darth himself, the Seanchan Empire is still hosed at the end of the series, after all.

But Mat and Tuon are going to go put the Empire back together.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hexel posted:

A lot of the male forsaken took over nations and states drawing mad attention to themselves and got destroyed with a quickness. Just lol at Be’lal

The clever ones who stayed in the shadows lived longer and were more effective imo

Need less resurrections too :laugh:

I so wish we had the outriggers, cause you know Moggy would somehow escape Seanchan. That's my headcanon.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

AnEdgelord posted:

Edit: honestly the bigger shock to me is that Suroth says that darkfriend Sul'dam are an extreme rarity

I think that's a way of saying people who enslave others don't have to be satan worshippers, humans who make other chattel can simply come from the horrors of human society.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yeah I actually had it wrong: Mesaana was the one who spearheaded the tower split, although it’s impossible to figure that out until the very end of the series, which is why I forgot.

When Elaida kicks in the door to arrest her, Suian is musing over the fact that Danelle (Mesaana), being an absent minded brown, had hired too many stonemasons for a certain repair job. This turned out to be cover for sneaking a small army of mercenaries into the city to seize the bridges.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

I think that's a way of saying people who enslave others don't have to be satan worshippers, humans who make other chattel can simply come from the horrors of human society.

I think the other issue is that all it takes is your Damane mentioning the wrong thing to the wrong person to expose you

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Thing is, Mesaana doesn't really DO anything.

It's political judo. In fact, "don't touch anything when it's all coming up milhouse" is really hard to do for a lot of people.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I had forgotten about Fedwin Morr. Rand just put him down :stonk:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Barreft posted:

Wasn't Moridin's true power balefire? been awhile so maybe wrong. just a random question not about ta'veren

It doesn’t say, but Moridin uses the true power almost exclusively, so it’s a solid guess

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

goethe.cx posted:

It doesn’t say, but Moridin uses the true power almost exclusively, so it’s a solid guess

I'm reasonably sure that Rand notes that he didn't feel saidin from him, nor see the weaves, which pretty much confirms it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hexel posted:

That scene is so hard to read. What was the line? "Min's eyes stung."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hexel posted:

oh god you just pinged my brain. that was so drat sad.

e:
“The Wisdom in my village could cure anything,” Rand said as he knelt beside Fedwin. Somehow, he managed to smile at the boy without taking his eyes from Taim. Fedwin smiled back happily and tried to take the cup, but Rand held it for him to drink. “She knows more about herbs than anybody I’ve ever met. I learned a little from her, which are safe, which not.” Fedwin sighed as Rand took the cup away and held the boy to his chest. “Sleep, Fedwin,” Rand murmured.

It did seem that the boy was going to sleep. His eyes closed. His chest rose and fell more slowly. Slower. Until it stopped. The smile never left his lips.

“A little something in the wine,” Rand said softly as he laid Fedwin down. Min’s eyes burned, but she would not cry. She would not!

“You are harder than I thought,” Taim muttered.

Rand smiled at him, a hard feral smile. “Add Corlan Dashiva to your list of deserters, Taim. Next time I visit the Black Tower, I expect to see his head on your Traitor’s Tree.”

“Dashiva?” Taim snarled, his eyes widening in surprise. “It will be as you say. When next you visit the Black Tower.” That quickly, he recovered himself, all polished stone and poise once more. How she wished she could read her viewings of him.

“Return to the Black Tower, and don’t come here again.” Standing, Rand faced the other man over Fedwin’s body. “I may be moving about for a while.”

Taim’s bow was minuscule. “As you command.”

As the door closed behind him, Min let out a long breath.

“No point wasting time, and no time to waste,” Rand muttered. Kneeling in front of her, he took the crown and slipped it into the scrip with the other things. “Min, I thought I was the whole pack of hounds, chasing down one wolf after another, but it seems I’m the wolf.”

“Burn you,” she breathed. Tangling both hands in his hair, she stared in his eyes. Now blue, now gray, a morning sky just at sunrise. And dry. “You can cry, Rand al’Thor. You won’t melt if you cry!”

“I don’t have time for tears, either, Min,” he said gently. “Sometimes, the hounds catch the wolf and wish they hadn’t. Sometimes, he turns on them, or waits in ambush. But first, the wolf has to run.”

“When do we go?” she asked. She did not let go of his hair. She was never going to let go of him. Never.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 6, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ah, you left out how proud he was of protecting Min!

Rand sat cross-legged on the bare stone floor, still covered in dust and scratches, his coat torn. His face might have been carved. He seemed to watch Fedwin without blinking. The boy was sitting on the floor, too, his legs sprawled out. Tongue caught between his teeth, Fedwin was concentrating on making a tower out of blocks of wood. Min swallowed hard.

She could still remember the horror when she realized the boy “guarding” her now had the mind of a small child. The sadness remained, too—Light, he was only a boy! it was not right!—but she hoped Rand still had him shielded. It had not been easy, talking Fedwin into playing with those wooden blocks instead of pulling stones out of the walls with the Power to make a “big tower to keep you safe in.” And then she had sat guarding him until Rand came. Oh, Light, she wanted to cry. For Rand even more than Fedwin.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Barreft posted:

oh god you just pinged my brain. that was so drat sad.

Ironically the Wisdom of his village ended up being able to cure that madness

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

Ironically the Wisdom of his village ended up being able to cure that madness

Yeah you're right. drat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jng2058 posted:

It's probably the nicest thing Semiraghe ever did

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm part way through Tower of midnight and had forgotten just how incredibly horny Galad and Baerlain are the moment they see each other

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

wtf I just had a vivid dream of watching the open to season 2 and it's Pura being led to Suroth on a leash

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I believe the S2 cold open will be the Gitara Moroso prophecy which was chopped from the original S1 script or the EOTW prologue.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

He sure did, but not until the igloo.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Ah yeah Aviendha popped his cherry didn't she :dong: no wonder he wanted to get married

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

silvergoose posted:

This is the horniest book thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

rocketrobot posted:

This is the horniest book thread

drat straight

Anyway back to the ishy vs mesaana black ajah discussion, this is the eotw passage though it is him talking and who knows if he's telling the truth:

“Is that what they told you? Two thousand years ago I took my Trollocs across the world, and even among Aes Sedai I found those who knew despair, who knew the world could not stand before Shai’tan. For two thousand years the Black Ajah has dwelt among the others, unseen in the shadows. Perhaps even those who claim to help you.”