Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Did all the other Pixel Remasters take this long to announce the release in the same month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barreft posted:

Did all the other Pixel Remasters take this long to announce the release in the same month?

Usually there wasn't a release month announced before the actual release date so there's not really a comparison.

The release dates for the 4 and 5 pixel remasters were announced about two weeks before they released, I think.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1490091597362614278

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Baykin posted:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/916/

I have this cached for an upcoming FFT replay that I have planned in the future, but I keep hoping there will be an updated port/remaster announced soon.

Can recommend this hack. Or well, QoL mod really. It's the best way to play FFT until a full remaster or some sort hits.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is the tweet that made me want to revisit FFT, lmao

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vikar Jerome posted:

Would have been so much better than the dull boring poo poo of that raid we ended up with but oh well.

Also reminder that ff tactics remaster is in the 100% proven true geforce now leak and its out in like april unless they changed dates, which they may well have done, cos they clearly did with chrono cross remaster

Commander Keene posted:

Until a game is in my hands being played on a console I own I take reports of its existence with a grain of salt. Before it's even officially announced I take its existence with a handful of salt, no matter how trustworthy the leaker is, how likely the games are to exist in some form, or how often they've been right. It's cool to think of remasters for FFT and Chrono Cross, but I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for them. There's a lot going on right now that can affect a game's release schedule or even cause cancellations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Dorter sucked the first time I played it but I beat it on my second try just by rushing the people high up above me and staying out of range of the enemies on the ground across the way. Once you take the high ground the rest is free.

One of the very first things you need to learn in that game is how to see what the movement and attack/spell ranges of the enemies are. Once you do that you can always stay one square out of their range and make them come to you. Stocking up on potions and bringing a white mage helps too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elephant Ambush posted:

Dorter sucked the first time I played it but I beat it on my second try just by rushing the people high up above me and staying out of range of the enemies on the ground across the way. Once you take the high ground the rest is free.

One of the very first things you need to learn in that game is how to see what the movement and attack/spell ranges of the enemies are. Once you do that you can always stay one square out of their range and make them come to you. Stocking up on potions and bringing a white mage helps too.
Dorter Trade City is a Guard Scorpion sort of encounter for a strategy RPG. It's very much there to say "hey stupid this is the basic flow of the battlefield" because you're there to beat it with just realization of the basic mechanical affinities about range and movement instead of pure leveling.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Chocobo encounter was always a pain in the rear end for me. Max movement and constant adjacent healing with multiple enemies right at the start of the game. At least you have options during the Monk rush encounter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Chocobos are just bizarrely nasty in FFT for being a mascot character, iirc they’re like right behind the big bruisers like dragons/hydras/behemoths.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
chocobos are cassowarys and you wouldnt gently caress with a cassowary

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

this battle fooled me into thinking Archers were good

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I rented it once over a long weekend, printed out a bunch of gamefaqs stuff at the library and binged it over 1 weekend

man I would kill for a Lufia 2 Pixel Remake

e: I even made it to the bottom of the Ancient Cave :smuggo:

I love how a random JRPG from the 90s had a better rougelite dungeon diver than most games that focus on being a rogue like/lite do, on top of a real good soundtrack.

...shame that it was the last good Lufia game.

Making this and not making a new Tactics game immediately afterwards should've been considered a crime.

At least we're getting Triangle Strategy soon. :dance:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
When my uncle bought my FFT he literally told me that there was a stage called 'Dorter Trade City' and its a pita.

I was 12 or whatever so I was grinding constantly in preparation for it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Making this and not making a new Tactics game immediately afterwards should've been considered a crime.

the problem is that video is payment enough to avoid being charged with a crime. indeed, some might call it..the perfect crime

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Remake FFT but with voice acting. I want to read someone read out "The ditch that your baseborn father fell upon your mother"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda want that just for Gaffgarion, he’s not around a lot but he has some good burns too iirc.

“We only need to make them rout, why are you killing them?!”
“I find dead men rout more easily”

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Have both the PS1 and PSP scripts voiced, with a toggle to flip between them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leal posted:

Remake FFT but with voice acting. I want to read someone read out "The ditch that your baseborn father fell upon your mother"

This is only acceptable if the cast is entirely out-of-work English theater actors who are just really desperate to get cast by the Royal Shakespeare Company but failing.

I don't want a single person in that script under-playing their lines. Every single person should feel like Steven Toast.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bring back this guy

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1290122111470538752

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

BisbyWorl posted:

Have both the PS1 and PSP scripts voiced, with a toggle to flip between them.

Only if the PS1 voice acting has the quality of a a 90s anime dub.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Leal posted:

I feel like any serious attempt to remake Tactics nowadays will involve full VA, just as a basic matter of course.

If they're just planning on throwing WotL on Steam/consoles with minimal effort, maybe upscaled textures and removing the slowdown or whatever, that's another thing, but if they did a serious :effortless: remaster or remake in TYOOL 2022 they're going to have to spring for a voice track.

Cleretic posted:

This is only acceptable if the cast is entirely out-of-work English theater actors who are just really desperate to get cast by the Royal Shakespeare Company but failing.

I don't want a single person in that script under-playing their lines. Every single person should feel like Steven Toast.
I feel like whichever script they use, having the VAs totally hamming it up can only benefit the VA.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Give me Shakespearean Tim Curry as Draclau or Elmdore and I'll be content.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I remember back before SuMo were released, there was a leak that talked about how there were no gyms in Alola, there were regional forms of Pokemon that were different from the old ones, and that Ultra Beasts were from another dimension. All of those were true, but that leak also talked about how there was a new water type Growlite/Arcanine.

So as a Pokemon fan, "100% proven true leak" means absolutely nothing to me.

Thats abit different from whats going tho. One is a dev subsystem thing with dates on that was accidently leaked and has had stuff that wasnt announced before hand get released on steam with the correct dates and your thing is source of a source of a source with stuff getting added on each step (or coulda been canned before release!)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Frickin insane how good that remaster looks. I gotta get round to picking it up

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Frickin insane how good that remaster looks. I gotta get round to picking it up

It's really fuckin' good. And it goes on sale a lot!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I want the ultimate ham VA cast, that guy in the tweet, Gaius Van Baelsar's VA, Caius's VA I want them all in the same scene just progressively chewing the scenery until there's nothing left.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
It’s not FF but I’ve owned Octopath Traveler for a couple years but never put more than an hour into it. If I loved FFIV/VI would it be up my alley? The art style is lovely I’ve just heard so much bad crap that it kinda soured me on giving it a shot.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Disappointing Pie posted:

It’s not FF but I’ve owned Octopath Traveler for a couple years but never put more than an hour into it. If I loved FFIV/VI would it be up my alley? The art style is lovely I’ve just heard so much bad crap that it kinda soured me on giving it a shot.

I think the biggest complaint is that the 8 stories don’t really intersect which was never really advertised but people were hoping for. Even the characters interacting with each other is limited. Otherwise the battle system is great (more like FF V with job classes/skills if you enjoyed that), the music absolutely slaps, and you already know how lovely the art is. I had a blast from start to finish but I can understand how it isn’t for everyone.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I enjoyed Octopath well enough. It actually develops a decent job system a quarter of the way through which helps diversify gameplay. The biggest complaint is that none of the characters actually interact with each other beyond occasional and specific skits, and once you beat the first loop of character stories it’s… do it again. Then a super boss I guess, I never got that far.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

That's some good villaining.

I really wish Triangle Strategy had a similar voice acting strategy but nope.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Octopath shines as a mix and match class development game with a reasonably engaged combat system. If you want a popcorn munching, narratively driven story its not going to be it because the way leveling works you're doing 8 different stories, one chapter at a time, alternately, for most of the game. Some of the stories are popcorn munchers at times, but you're generally interrupted between chapters.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Levantine posted:

That's some good villaining.

I really wish Triangle Strategy had a similar voice acting strategy but nope.

Part of what makes FFXII's English dub so memorable is that the voice director deliberately sought out stage actors with no experience in voiceover work to play the majority of the main cast, which helps to lend it a dramatic, Shakespearean air that a lot of other games lack, even with similar scripts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vermain posted:

Part of what makes FFXII's English dub so memorable is that the voice director deliberately sought out stage actors with no experience in voiceover work to play the majority of the main cast, which helps to lend it a dramatic, Shakespearean air that a lot of other games lack, even with similar scripts.

And it loving rules. The writing, too, is very theatrical

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Yeah it's good. Play it. Enjoy the fun combat. Use magic. Change jobs. Enjoy the amazing soundtrack.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I recall someone here a while ago posting a link to a bunch of patches and fixes for the PC versions of either Final Fantasy XIII or XIII-2 (or both?). Would anyone be able to share that link again?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

I recall someone here a while ago posting a link to a bunch of patches and fixes for the PC versions of either Final Fantasy XIII or XIII-2 (or both?). Would anyone be able to share that link again?

XIII PC runs fine, it's XIII-2 PC which needs patches to run at all and I'm pretty sure I'm the person you're thinking of.
https://mega.nz/file/rV82hBLK#hJI4GmgNaU8ni0jkTbMoTNlSIvuOL0Ifoc2zVMa9EmA

I still had freezes at points but at least with these patches you should be able to get out of the opening and play most of the game without issue. I couldn't without them.

Have you played XIII-2 before? I recall there was one 100% guaranteed freeze/crash/something in Academia 400AF when you approach the optional big monster near the end. My memory is that this only happens on full screen and if you are in windowed mode it won't happen...

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Octopath is a good game people are down about because it could have been a really great game.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Another fun little pixel animation from FF14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPaI3YV4GeA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

NikkolasKing posted:

XIII PC runs fine, it's XIII-2 PC which needs patches to run at all and I'm pretty sure I'm the person you're thinking of.
https://mega.nz/file/rV82hBLK#hJI4GmgNaU8ni0jkTbMoTNlSIvuOL0Ifoc2zVMa9EmA

I still had freezes at points but at least with these patches you should be able to get out of the opening and play most of the game without issue. I couldn't without them.

Have you played XIII-2 before? I recall there was one 100% guaranteed freeze/crash/something in Academia 400AF when you approach the optional big monster near the end. My memory is that this only happens on full screen and if you are in windowed mode it won't happen...

Thank you so much! Good to know about that crash. I'll keep an eye out.