Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Burger with a sword thru it like a fancy toothpick.

Nona just holding that as if it makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/libraryofec/status/1486384465102327808?s=20

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Muscular woman sadly attempts to eat burger through skull-painted gasmask.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Rand Brittain posted:

Muscular woman sadly attempts to eat burger through skull-painted gasmask.

That's just Gideon's Google search history

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

https://twitter.com/lambells/status/1486391316309233671

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
New Saga today...Nona cover tomorrow

Nice :fyadride:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/tordotcompub/status/1486716251363704834?s=21

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

edit: late, but burger. also dog. cover good.

edit2: There's an interview, too!

https://www.vox.com/culture/22901210/nona-the-ninth-cover-reveal-tamsyn-muir-interview-locked-tomb-series

Oenis fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 27, 2022

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Gas mask + (t-shirt graphic of a ) burger confirmed!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

quote:

Nona is about a friend you know getting super, super drunk at the club, and you’re sitting with him in the local McDonald’s at midnight as he tells you a bunch of incredibly intimate details about something you always wondered about, and you’re torn between wishing you were not in this McDonald’s and egging him on, because you know he’s really, really going to regret telling you all this when he’s sober.

Now we know.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Well. It's not the burger I wanted, but I can still appreciate the burger we got.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm disappointed that the Ninth isn't actually crossed out on the cover.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Lots of great bits in that interview.

quote:

Nona sprang from the planned first act of Alecto. I always intended to let her have the entire first act — it felt appropriate — but then there came a point where my editor was asking me how Alecto was going, and I admitted that I thought it was going to be a long book. My editor asked me how long. I said, well, the first act is 140k [words], and there are like four acts and I’m still only in Act II.

After my editor got up from his lie-down, he said that he thought that it maybe wasn’t “physically possible” to publish a 300k+ book. He kept saying cowardly poo poo like “it gets impossible to print and read.” He made me turn over Act I and was like, “You dope. This is a whole book. Let’s just publish this.” I resisted very strongly for a while because I felt like it was part of Alecto and shouldn’t be separated, but obviously, he won and was right to win.

Spoiler: You still get to meet Alecto, briefly.

You can tell Tamsyn is a fanfic writer at heart:

quote:

I did end up writing a total divergence when I was writing Nona, back in 2020, because I wanted to make sure my clockwork made sense — I wanted to make sure that if you wound up Gideon and Harrow and put them on a slightly different route the laws of the universe would still flow accordingly. (I stopped writing because when your editor asks how you’re doing and you’re like “I stopped to write 30k to prove a timeline” he’s legally allowed to shoot you with a crossbow.)

Dog confirmed safe!

quote:

Nona is the only girl on any of these covers who is having anything approaching a good time. I’ve seen all these covers. Ranked by who’s apparently having the best time: Nona, Gideon, Alecto, Harrow. What I love about the cover (apart from everything) is that it displays to you neatly that Nona is residing in a different genre to the rest of the book. Nona lives in a genre where the back blurb is, “How do you deal with the world’s most embarrassing family — AND school?! How do you cope when the biggest jerk in the universe … turns out to be your secret crush’s out-of-town cousin?!?!”

Everyone else in the book is living in a docudrama where you get a message at the beginning saying, “Caution: Disturbing scenes will follow.”

I do want to note that there’s a beautiful dog on the cover, and that dog is the most important dog in the universe. I realize saying this compromises my artistic integrity because an unsaid central question in the book is, “Will anything go wrong for this dog?” But I lost my dog back in December, and I just want to say, nothing goes fundamentally wrong for the dog.

Ianthe gonna Ianthe:

quote:

Last time we talked, all you would say about Alecto was, “Ianthe will be awful. Ianthe will reach new heights of being absolutely goddamn dreadful.” Is that still going to be the case in Nona? If not, where may I direct my official complaint?

When I said that I was thinking about one specific magnificently lovely thing Ianthe does in Alecto, just, the dumbest and pettiest thing I am setting her up to do, and although she is still bad in Nona — spoiler: you do get to spend some time with Ianthe in Nona — I would say her badness, although grim, is within expected parameters of Ianthe.

Actually now I think about it she is the direct cause of quite a lot of nonsense, but she’s hanging out with someone who’s really bad for her, and she has problems. If you do not feel she is bad enough in Nona I give you permission to imagine her punting the dog.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Man, it's rare for me to feel hype about things these days. The sole exception is this book, because holy hell am I hype for it.
I needed it yesterday at the least.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Am I seeing things or does this dog have more than the canine average number of limbs?

e:
https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1486726060674670606?s=20

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Oh my god I am so excited :allears:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Noodle the Ninth

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Entropic posted:

Noodle the Ninth

Noodle the Sixth!!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i feel the climax of the series should be someone stuffing Ianthe into a locker

however, i vary on who the someone should be

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've been feeling a bit like a grumpy goon lately because all of Tordotcom's marketing and publicity leaves me incredibly cold, but man the second Tamsyn Muir opens her mouth to say literally anything about her books I'm 1,000% back on board.

I love Nona already, and I love Noodle.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The cover artist is selling a limited run of first edition Nona cover prints and second edition Gideon and Harrow cover prints if you're into that sort of thing:
https://www.tommyarnoldart.com/purchase

Also, if you happened to purchase the first edition Gideon and Harrow prints and want matching serial numbers on your Nona print, he asks that you reply to your receipt with the number you had on your previous prints:
https://twitter.com/TommyArnoldArt/status/1486747800838807552

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Apropos of nothing, it looks as though Nona's hair is a different color from Gideon or Harrowhark.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The fan art machine is gearing up

https://twitter.com/favouritefi/status/1486792236109111299?s=21

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

After reading that interview I'm a little sad that she doesn't post on social media more. She just has a very unique voice and I'd love to hear more from her

That said, I totally don't blame her for not being on social media at all.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Nothing good comes of being on social media.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Happy Landfill posted:

After reading that interview I'm a little sad that she doesn't post on social media more. She just has a very unique voice and I'd love to hear more from her

That said, I totally don't blame her for not being on social media at all.

Completely agree, on both points

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Quinton posted:

The cover artist is selling a limited run of first edition Nona cover prints and second edition Gideon and Harrow cover prints if you're into that sort of thing:
https://www.tommyarnoldart.com/purchase

For clarity's sake, if you order the set, all three will be marked as second edition. You can only get a first run Nona by buying it individually.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alopex posted:

Nothing good comes of being on social media.

Yeah the odds of destroying your career/life with a stray post increase to 100% the more interesting your voice is

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Especially with book twitter's more recent habit of brow-beating and harassing authors in to disclosing all their trauma/sexuality/etc so they can judge whether or not you are truly qualified to write about said trauma/sexuality/etc

Yeah, just stay off Twitter .

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm always glad when an auhor is smart enough to stay off Twitter. It's "engagement" but it's also a time-sink full of landmines and brain worms.
Writers should have like, a wordpress blog, where they talk only about their work and don't feel the need to weigh in on every current event.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

So, we now know....
- Nona is the child in the epilogue of Harrow (per Tamsyn in the Vox interview)
- Nona is featured on the cover of Nona the Ninth
- Nona's hair is black and eyes are bright gold (per the cover artist)
- The six legged dog's name is Noodle (per Tamsyn's editor and Tor twitter)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
-Noodle is a good boy and will come out of this alright

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

quote:

Nona lives in a genre where the back blurb is, “How do you deal with the world’s most embarrassing family — AND school?! How do you cope when the biggest jerk in the universe … turns out to be your secret crush’s out-of-town cousin?!?!”
Choosing to believe this is a 100% accurate synopsis of the book.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

rohan posted:

Choosing to believe this is a 100% accurate synopsis of the book.

Whatever happens, I'm sure Muir will throw us a few bones...

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/constancegrady/status/1486726560438632458?s=20&t=vr2rnnSVBTFeujYYyMze3A

Previous joke-y summaries for reference
https://chillyweirdoinacoffin.tumblr.com/post/674922483794788352/cut-commentary-from-tamsyns-recent-vox

Edit: God, sorry, but "*TAKES A HUGE NECROBONG HIT*" still makes me lose it

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 1, 2022

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Finally managed to finish both Gideon and Harrow!

Notahippie posted:

It took me forever to pick it up because the cover blurb "teenage lesbian necromancers in space!" made it sound so incredibly puerile or exploitative. It took until I was bored and the library had a copy before I tried it.

Oenis posted:

Yeah I think exactly this is what makes her hesitant too. I already tried to explain to her that the lesbian necromancer romance (which she cares little about, she's more into hard sci-fi) is not exactly at the forefront of this and it's more like a whodunnit in an incredibly interesting setting with, uh, ... ⁿᵉᶜʳᵒᵐᵃⁿᶜʸ ᵗʰʳᵒᵘᵍʰ ˢᶜⁱᵉⁿᶜᵉ.

100% agreed with this. I get what the marketing department were going for with "lesbian necromancers in space" but it seriously put me off because it only conveyed the setting and nothing about the story. Also I had heard a lot about things being meme-y. If it had been pitched to me as locked room murder mystery with necromantic science, I would have read it a lot sooner.

I did find all the meme-y references pretty jarring but once I got past that as a thing, I was on board. The second person narration pay-off was the absolute highlight, and the pacing of the clues was just perfect; I was able to figure out what was going on a few pages before each reveal and it was GREAT.

Re: Harrow:

Smiling Knight posted:

Ianthe continues to suck. Gideon's narration was right, how can you choose the power-hoarding lying despot over your mentor?

Honestly I thought Ianthe picked the Emperor simply because she didn't want Coronabeth to die, rather than any more complicated motives (which sure, all can be plausibly attributed to her) but I think when push came to shove, Coronabeth decided the issue. Unless Ianthe somehow also knows that Coronabeth isn't in the system anymore, but I don't recall Harrow and Ianthe having that conversation about the shuttle that found Harrow, let alone the fact Coronabeth was on it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I 100% expect the ending to be Jod in the tomb, tbh

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Leng posted:

100% agreed with this. I get what the marketing department were going for with "lesbian necromancers in space" but it seriously put me off because it only conveyed the setting and nothing about the story. Also I had heard a lot about things being meme-y. If it had been pitched to me as locked room murder mystery with necromantic science, I would have read it a lot sooner.

I will confess to the Lesbian Space Necromancers pitch totally working on me. I was in the mood for something that didn't take itself too seriously while also taking itself totally seriously, if that makes sense, and was rewarded amply. Plus I am a sucker for necromancy in specific and space fantasy in general, so your suggested pitch also would've worked really well on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tbf it was a blurb quote rather than marketing line, but I guess they did lead with that