Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

I always wondered why there weren't more sharp ki attacks. The kienzan punches all the way up from Krillin's level to god tier it's literally all I would use.

They seem to require you to have a very thin beam in order to make it work which makes it much easier to dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Black August posted:

I find it amazing that it’s Krillin who develops the instant-kill move and not like Tien

thats because tien is stupid

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Black August posted:

I find it amazing that it’s Krillin who develops the instant-kill move and not like Tien

The Crane School specializes in instant-kill (self) moves, not instant-kill (enemy) moves.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

TheHan posted:

I always wondered why there weren't more sharp ki attacks. The kienzan punches all the way up from Krillin's level to god tier it's literally all I would use.

I think it's just really really hard to do

Look at how long Piccolo has to charge to use a piercing attack. He can blow people up in half a dozen different ways in three seconds or less, but if he wants to poke a hole in something he's gotta hold his fingers to his forehead for like half an episode

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Krillin is a ki genius worthy of punching way above his level, but I think his first and especially second death just kind of ended something in him that would let him become that

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Black August posted:

I thought the Dodon Ray is specifially a piercing beam for killing?

And yeah Krillin initially was better at manipulating Ki than Goku, hence the Kienzan or his Spread Kamehameha. He just couldn't keep up with the Goku power ups, though why the gently caress Goku wouldn't teach him or any other humans/ hell even Piccolo Kiaoken is just stupid.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 7, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vizuyos posted:

I think it's just really really hard to do

Look at how long Piccolo has to charge to use a piercing attack. He can blow people up in half a dozen different ways in three seconds or less, but if he wants to poke a hole in something he's gotta hold his fingers to his forehead for like half an episode

Piccolo uses Piercing attacks much faster later on. He can just charge it more to give it more piercing power. Like in the Raditz fight he planned for the technique to use two hands to charge faster, and even then he had it charged enough to kill Raditz pretty fast, the issue was that he could only fire it once, and he needed Raditz not to be able to move cause if he just shot it at him Raditz would dodge.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Piccolo could and should have learned kaioken on King Kai's planet but instead just sat around meditating

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Siegkrow posted:

The Big Bang attack and the Genki Dama and- uh... I don't have a third attack- They are explosive attacks.

https://i.imgur.com/lOeAqQ7.mp4

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Do the other universes follow the same rules of ki manipulation? Jiren and his mates seemingly just hit things really hard (the Bunny guy moves really fast while hitting, I remember Toppo using Ki and then Hakai though) as opposed to fancy techniques or energy blasts

Does Jiren have like a signature move besides being really loving boring? At least Universe 6 and the others had wierdos with wierd powers

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 7, 2022

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yes, he gets a glint in his eye and then his opponent loses for unspecified reasons.

Remember when Hit dislodged him in time and he walked it off?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Do the other universes follow the same rules of ki manipulation? Jiren and his mates seemingly just hit things really hard, as opposed to fancy techniques or energy blasts

Does Jiren have like a signature move besides being really loving boring? At least Universe 6 and the others had wierdos with wierd powers

Toppo's primary move in the ToP was finger machine gun ki blasts, a couple of them had weird gimmicks(Kahseral made weapons out of ki to fight with, Cocotte could make energy domes to isolate people, that one dude had the finger nets that he could use as land mines or something, etc), and Jiren himself loved using big red fire-looking energy balls.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hit and Toppo were like 15x more interesting than Jiren (loving also Ribrianne was) and The Tournament of Power should have had a Hit vs Goku rematch, because that poo poo was awesome :colbert:

Such a cool ending to the Tourney for such a.. bland nothing guy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Piccolo could and should have learned kaioken on King Kai's planet but instead just sat around meditating

Do remember that Piccolo was only there for 5 days.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Bet a powerful Namekian could probably push kaioken pretty far due to their regeneration.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

And yeah Krillin initially was better at manipulating Ki than Goku, hence the Kienzan or his Spread Kamehameha. He just couldn't keep up with the Goku power ups, though why the gently caress Goku wouldn't teach him or any other humans/ hell even Piccolo Kiaoken is just stupid.

Goku is scared King Kai has some copyright on it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Do remember that Piccolo was only there for 5 days.

Next you'll tell me Yamcha didn't actually wreck Recoome

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

TulliusCicero posted:

I bet he was worried what they'd do to their bodies with kaioken. Piccolo could probably take it, Tien would try to x10 with the first 5 minutes of learning and shred his muscles into mulch. Saiyans are made of tougher stuff.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I call BS on inherent Saiyan supremacy vs humans thing once you remove the oozaru and other possibility of racial transformations like Super Saiyan. The real edge they all have on everyone else is they and Beerus/Whis are the only people depicted eating nearly enough to cultivate mass and we all know more mass is more power. That’s just physics.

Force feed krilllin goku portions starting back in DB and he’d probably be on par with Android 18 when they met.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Goku is a bad teacher he’d just kill anyone he taught the Kaioken to

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For 'sharp' Ki attacks you have Zamasu/Goku Black with the hand blade thingy.

CharlestonJew posted:

Goku is a bad teacher he’d just kill anyone he taught the Kaioken to
This might actually be it, Goku may be a good student and sparring partner but he's never been shown to be a particularly good teacher. And he probably knows it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the kaioken is cooler than super saiyan imo

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sextro posted:

Force feed krilllin goku portions starting back in DB and he’d probably be on par with Android 18 when they met.

IIRC Krillin was a big eater the first time we see him actually train hard under Roshi (and maybe after the first tournament too?).

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

agreed

funny thing I just realized: since Freiza's 4th form is actually his base form, that means we go backwards with the 3rd being his first attempt to power down, followed by the 2nd and then the 1st

which makes some visual sense, since the 3rd form is a horrible monster that clearly looks like someone's first try to transform to a lesser form, and then the 2nd is way better but still gigantic, and finally his 1st form looks like his 4th, just opened up and unarmored

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought Form 1 was his “normal” self and everything after that was something he designed. His dad looks like form 1 and after getting regenerated in ROF he defaults to that, and also iirc the Broly movie has kid Frieza looking the most like form 1.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Black August posted:

agreed

funny thing I just realized: since Freiza's 4th form is actually his base form, that means we go backwards with the 3rd being his first attempt to power down, followed by the 2nd and then the 1st

which makes some visual sense, since the 3rd form is a horrible monster that clearly looks like someone's first try to transform to a lesser form, and then the 2nd is way better but still gigantic, and finally his 1st form looks like his 4th, just opened up and unarmored

I like how Frieza's actually had character development in Super Broly where he

A: sits in his base form at all times because he's found a comfort level with himself being a powerful mutant of his species, and doesn't feel the need to power-down anymore

B. Actively trains to get stronger and revels in the thrill of a fight now, even if some of his old sadistic impulses come out.

C. No longer seeks immortality at all because that would make his hate/ rivalry with Goku boring, just wants to be taller and a little more imposing

Also it's funny how Frieza evolved past the need for underwear

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

dude is just loving naked 24/7 and nobody is going to call this Emperor on having no clothes

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

I thought Form 1 was his “normal” self and everything after that was something he designed. His dad looks like form 1 and after getting regenerated in ROF he defaults to that, and also iirc the Broly movie has kid Frieza looking the most like form 1.

Nah, he stated that all his other forms were just containing what he typically looks like now. Plus when he told his minions he wanted to wish to be taller, they told him to just change forms, and he said he wanted it in his original form.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

He even stopped calling Goku "Monkey" as much and refers to him by name directly. I think that's the closest Frieza has ever gotten to respect for someone else.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Black August posted:

dude is just loving naked 24/7 and nobody is going to call this Emperor on having no clothes

every week some guy gets exploded since he thinks freeza will respect him for calling out that he’s naked.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

He even stopped calling Goku "Monkey" as much and refers to him by name directly. I think that's the closest Frieza has ever gotten to respect for someone else.

he's madly in fightlove and it's going to irradiate him worse as time goes on, it's why when he wishes to replace the Zens he won't just erase Goku, he'll want him to become insanely powerful going through all the Destroyers and Angels and then finally he'll get to recreate Namek with him fighting brutal and cosmic peak

everything about Freiza is informed by him wanting to chase the semiliteral dragons of that Namek high

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

What if you combined the two?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the anime combining the kaioken with super saiyan blue is why the anime is the superior version of super imo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it just makes sense

it also makes MUI even more of a sell because you can imagine a x20 on top of a mastered Blue is insane enough to push him towards that limit break, and it feels like a callback to OG Super Saiyan, which I always thought was meant to have happened because Goku was so insistent about pushing the Kaioken way the hell beyond its original intentions

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

It sure is. Super Saiyan is just a big giant powerup with no drawbacks to speak of besides a nebulous "it takes a lot of stamina" constraint, whereas Kaioken is consistently depicted as being this horribly dangerous devil's bargain that powers you the gently caress up right now but at a devastating cost so there's always some kind of tension when it's being used.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the anime combining the kaioken with super saiyan blue is why the anime is the superior version of super imo

SSB Kaioken is cool as gently caress, I think even cooler than UI, and one of my favorite scenes in the show is during the U6 vs U7 tournament when he goes apeshit with it for the first time against Hit and then his entire body basically explodes after the fact like "ha ha, wow, I really should not have loving done that"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

A less gag Dragon Ball could have kept following up on the whole idea of deep horrible rage when Super Saiyan, like Goku and Gohan showed all of once. It doesn't have to be a psycho form, but it could have stood to be a slightly more marked personality change. Chi Chi might have been entirely validated in feeling freaked out if Goku and Gohan in Super Saiyan 24/7 was like being around uncomfortable alt versions of your husband and son.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kanos posted:

It sure is. Super Saiyan is just a big giant powerup with no drawbacks to speak of besides a nebulous "it takes a lot of stamina" constraint, whereas Kaioken is consistently depicted as being this horribly dangerous devil's bargain that powers you the gently caress up right now but at a devastating cost so there's always some kind of tension when it's being used.

SSB Kaioken is cool as gently caress, I think even cooler than UI, and one of my favorite scenes in the show is during the U6 vs U7 tournament when he goes apeshit with it for the first time against Hit and then his entire body basically explodes after the fact like "ha ha, wow, I really should not have loving done that"

i agree with all of this

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Black August posted:

Yea, 3rd form is like something he made when he was 12 - trying to create something cool and sweet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edV7GojXMPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think it he did that with normal SSJ he'd explode into meaty chunks. He can do it in SSB because of the ki control that form already demands.