Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

just like online shopping pushed cryptography very far into becoming more and more secure. it is possible the underlying tech for all this crap right now will eventually benefit people's lives rather than enrich a bunch of already rich people.

But the "underlying tech" as it actually exists today is all dependent on proof-of-work algorithms, which are inherently wasteful and create perverse incentives that have led to nothing but ecological disaster. The entire cryptocurrency ecosystem as it exists today is predicated on a fatally-flawed approach, and doesn't that make anything derived from it a dead end for any socially-positive goals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

VRChat has had this for ages, as well as various options to mute users, hide their avatars or just straight up block them.

How did they not see this coming, seriously.

:thunk:

I work in the "make computery stuff" space and missing anti-harassment features like that is a classic example of what happens when you have a product team that excludes and/or doesn't actually listen to people who would want or need features like that

Listen to your heart to find out why

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ymgve posted:

do those laws also apply to backups? because I can see a lot of issues with demanding that deleting data must also be done on all backups retroactively

Yep.

One of the reasons why companies were so incredibly grumpy about GDPR is that the regulation required companies to actually keep track of what was stored on which backup and where those backups were so they could ensure that all personal data was deleted when a user demanded it.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

ryde posted:

For me? Not really. Mostly it comes at the end of an exasperated conversation where I'm emphasizing the need to incorporate the regulations into the design and getting pushback because they don't wanna think about it. I suppose someone more masochistic might get enjoyment out of crushing the hopes and dreams of software developers though.

I'm pretty sure getting enjoyment out of crushing the hopes and dreams of software developers was a Turing test checkbox

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

have none of these 'ah but this is a new thing, even if it's useless garbage now it will naturally become the basis of a new industrial revolution tomorrow, because New' people ever seen a Skymall catalogue

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

have none of these 'ah but this is a new thing, even if it's useless garbage now it will naturally become the basis of a new industrial revolution tomorrow, because New' people ever seen a Skymall catalogue
*nervously closing a door* ........no?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Shifty Pony posted:

Yep.

One of the reasons why companies were so incredibly grumpy about GDPR is that the regulation required companies to actually keep track of what was stored on which backup and where those backups were so they could ensure that all personal data was deleted when a user demanded it.

Plus having to have processes to "hard delete" instead of soft delete. Most deletes like to be implemented as a flag that a record is deleted instead of removing the record, because it makes it easy to propagate that delete to downstream systems like your Data Warehouse. Having to actually delete the record can be a huge pita.

Also things like having to write processes that can scan your terabytes of log-formatted data stored on S3 to find the 3 records that someone wanted remove.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God, I didn't even think about metaverse speedruns; Half Life Alyx is down to 15 minutes, I can't wait for someone to do something really funny like clipping some businessman out of bounds or causing an overflow that causes everyone's clothing to vanish.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
you assume there's anything interesting under the clothes instead of just barbie doll blank plastic or just nothing so we get Rayman floating heads and limbs.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

How does one get raped in the metaverse? Did the zuck contract out a studio of Filipino games artists to create rape animations or is a meta rape a bunch of avatars standing inside of another avatar

One of the problems they had was creeps getting right up on female avatars and whispering creepy sex poo poo in their ears. Wearing a VR headset that sounds like it’s literally being whispered in your ear and is creepy as gently caress.

That and the usual gross stuff with touching other peoples avs.

It might not be physical rape but it’s gross harassment poo poo.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Your brain internalizes even simplified VR avatars weirdly fast so even if you are a bunch of Playmobil dolls sliding around a featureless plane, someone waving their doll hands at your chest and crotch can be incredibly disturbing.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I just got a Quest 2 and had my wife try it on with the Bigscreen app open while I was still holding the controllers. My disembodied floating white hands coming towards her torso when I was trying to hand her the controllers made her scream and recoil on the couch. The visceral reactions you have in VR are pretty loving wild.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

you assume there's anything interesting under the clothes instead of just barbie doll blank plastic or just nothing so we get Rayman floating heads and limbs.

even more perverted that they'd base the models on Zuckerberg's body scans tbqh

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1490813544941690880

holy moly lmaooooo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, hope to be fooled by you for the third time.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Everyone was shocked when Rugpullers Global NFTs turned out to be a scam.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

it's cryptography magic that allows you to do math on numbers and everyone can verify the math is correct but only the recipient can see the actual numbers

and bulletproofs are faster and smaller in size than other implementations

it's used by monero, the number one way to launder your ill gotten crypto gains

asymmetric key encryption is just about 40 years old

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Paladinus posted:

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, hope to be fooled by you for the third time.

https://twitter.com/paulg/status/1490406747051286539

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
NFTs are incredibly useful

for me to poop on!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i hate how bitcoin's trickling upwards again, i was really hoping the big crash had finally come

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i hate how bitcoin's trickling upwards again, i was really hoping the big crash had finally come

what is dead and gay can never die and gay

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Cowcaster posted:

There will be others.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

DrPossum posted:

torrent community is going strong

torrents are an awesome counter-example to butts. DHT is a decentralised web of trust. trackers can operate without regard to everything else happening in bittorrentland. there are no weird financial incentives. it's as efficient as it could possibly be for all parties – a social gift economy rather than hypercapitalism, and generates immense wealth from that efficiency. it has tons of mainstream legitimate applications for distributing commercial software and media. the precept of torrents is 'how can you help everyone', not 'how can you avoid trusting anyone'.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

Tether printer go brrrr.

Or whatever the "stablecoin" du jour is.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
I mean, the more big bag holders there are, the more likely short-term speculators will suffer the losses. The obscenely rich get richer and the cryptobros get poorer. The first part of that equation is bad, but its par for the course at this point. The latter part is good, though, so I'm conflicted.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

tehinternet posted:

I had no idea what wordcel and shape rotator meant and I loving hate that I know them now. 4chan is a blight, the internet was a mistake

If there is a universal truth, it’s that people who brand themselves as intelligent or compare the intelligence of others to their own are always incredibly stupid.

Say what you will about Lowtax, but his decision to amputate the gangrenous forums that would eventually fester into 4chan was the right one.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Viscous Soda posted:

Say what you will about Lowtax, but his decision to amputate the gangrenous forums that would eventually fester into 4chan was the right one.

ADTRW still here tho :thunk:

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Tether printer go brrrr.

Or whatever the "stablecoin" du jour is.

Tether's been quiet since the end of 2021, USDCoin and Binance USD seem to be picking up the slack and conveniently finding hundreds of millions of dollars lying around every day or two

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Sorry but code is law

https://youtu.be/2aaubVlhNK4

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Viscous Soda posted:

All the issues he had aside, this and the internet making you stupid were the two things he definitely got right.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/Ru_Marxi/status/1490543135906226180

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Eric Andre getting super into in NFTs as a bit, but also not as a bit, is entirely in keeping with his whole schtick and I for one am still somehow disappointed

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I'm crossing my fingers that this is the setup for an elaborate bit that ends in him getting hilariously and publicly scammed.

goat manilla
Nov 13, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good luck getting anyone to give you $6000 for one Bitcoin though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I hate the fact I am cheering for the RIAA going after that Hitpiece NFT scam.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/eamonnforde/2022/02/07/greatest-hit-riaa-targets-hitpiece-over-nft-infringements/?sh=4030ce0a4275

The article is okay up until the end, when the author just can't stop themselves from fapping about the bright future of music NFTs.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
I just upset myself by thinking about how awful the inevitable crypto superbowl commercials are going to be.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Fish Appreciator posted:

I just upset myself by thinking about how awful the inevitable crypto superbowl commercials are going to be.

Wonder if Matt Damon can gently caress up another phrase this year — but loving up is super entirely on brand for crypto

It’s fortune favors the bold, dipshit

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

tehinternet posted:

Wonder if Matt Damon can gently caress up another phrase this year — but loving up is super entirely on brand for crypto

It’s fortune favors the bold, dipshit

i mean.. seems like a phrase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_favours_the_bold

quote:

"Fortune favours the bold", "Fortune favours the brave" and "Fortune favours the strong" are common translations of a Latin proverb. The slogan has been used historically by people in the military in the Anglosphere, and it is used up to the present on the coats of arms of individual families and clans.

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

what is dead and gay can never die and gay

Which is amazing news for this forum which I care very much about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

The Flour Moth posted:

Which is amazing news for this forum which I care very much about.

and gay?