Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
We're definitely gonna slow down because there's not too much left we want, and I don't want to set foot into the secondary market for modulars that look cool.

The Saturn V may be a cool build though. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doji Sekushi posted:

Hi goons, after stumbling into the flower bouquet at Target, my wife and I have gone down the rabbit hole.

It started simple: "hey, let's get the roses and tulips, also I want the AT-ST and the snowtrooper battle pack."

This past week I picked up the modular police station and bookstore. Then my wife ordered Assembly Square, the Razor Quest, and the Globe (along with assorted star wars sets). I found a Boutique hotel down the road that I'm picking up on Tuesday.

We have like 5 taxis now.

Is this how it is?

At least your wife is in on it. :v:

I’d say that’s often how it’s starts but once the initial novelty wears off it’s easier to cherry pick what you want and buy stuff at a reasonable pace.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Doji Sekushi posted:

Is this how it is?

Yes, pretty much. Sometimes they don’t put out stuff you’d want in a given wave and you think “man my bank account will be happy about this,” but then after it’s been a while since you built a new set your skin will start to itch and you’ll be looking at sets you thought weren’t interested in just to soothe that feeling.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Doji Sekushi posted:

the Razor Quest

drat, now I have the Saw movies in my head and the desire to build little death traps for my minifigs…

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

HootTheOwl is my friend from another thread where he tells the worst poster in that thread to shut the gently caress up, and now Hoot is cracking good jokes in this thread and I just wanted to acknowledge that both of those things are very good.

:3:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

tuo posted:

drat, now I have the Saw movies in my head and the desire to build little death traps for my minifigs…

Like LaserQuest, but with razors.

...that would have been a significantly worse birthday party for me

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I saw Home Alone was available and added it to my cart. Looks like the Taxi is sold out. Never seen that happen with such a mundane set. Especially one that is so out of whack with the value vs the cost threshold to qualify.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Speaking of value vs. cost, I picked up 60lbs of Lego off Craigslist this morning. It's gonna take me months to sift through all this, figuring out what sets he owned and trying to rebuild them from lovely color-incorrect online instructions, but that's sort of become my thing lately. I can tell he had Jabba's Barge but there's definitely no Jabba or sails, but I for sure found Lando's head and Han's torso (but no arms, wtf kind of monster pulls arms off minifigs) so that's a start! The collection is all over the place theme-wise. Desert, Western, Dragon Knights, Star Wars, Bionicle, and tons of fire and police vehicles.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I built the Boutique Hotel earlier this week and just now realized that the sculpture in the art gallery is the Creator Expert logo. Just happened to look at my Mustang box for a moment and it clicked.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m still having a loving blast with the Lego Mario line and it has compelled me to start replaying old Mario videogames and buy a Nintendo Switch. I don’t know if buying Nintendo products was an intended side effect of the Lego Mario line but it probably was.

I started out with “oh I’ll just get Mario and a couple sets that look cool” and it’s spiraled out of control into me buying most of the sets for a pretty good discount on eBay except for a few that just don’t look as fun or I don’t really care for. I’ve got 4 sets coming in the mail right now and then I think I’m “done” and can finally start working on the Lego NES.

The whole line is just so charming and clever, it makes me a little sad that they evidently front-loaded all the Mario sets for 2022 into January.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Looks like the Taxi is sold out. Never seen that happen with such a mundane set. Especially one that is so out of whack with the value vs the cost threshold to qualify.

The taxi really is super boring idg why anyone cares about it. Especially after the last high threshold GWP was the awesome sailboat.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The Mario sets seem cute, I just wish the sets were more like actual sets and not just “little set pieces connected together”. Like if all the Luigi’s mansions sets were actual rooms that you could combine into a giant mansion. I get that it’s in service of the play feature, but I can’t help but want some bigger builds. It’s probably why the flying ship is the one set that appeals to me the most, it’s the one that can stand on its own like that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I am pulling my hair out building a knock-off block set for the Battleship Yamato from Star Blazers. The design and directions are terrible and I can’t put one part together without the whole thing collapsing with any amount of sustained force/pressure. You don’t appreciate the engineering involved in a LEGO set until you deal with other building blocks. This is what the set looks like finished so yeah, RIP my sanity. The bastard doesn’t even come with a proper base.

The solution is gluing a significant amount of this together. Any suggestions on a glue that’s strong enough to bind the pieces, but weak enough to use a heat gun on in case I accidentally glue together something I need to take apart later? I’m afraid superglue might be too much and Elmer’s too little. Maybe Gorilla Glue? I’ve never had to do this to a set before.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The Mario sets seem cute, I just wish the sets were more like actual sets and not just “little set pieces connected together”. Like if all the Luigi’s mansions sets were actual rooms that you could combine into a giant mansion. I get that it’s in service of the play feature, but I can’t help but want some bigger builds. It’s probably why the flying ship is the one set that appeals to me the most, it’s the one that can stand on its own like that.
I can understand that, I think much of the appeal of the Mario line is whether you “buy into” the play pattern. It does an admirable job of recreating old-school gameplay mechanics from the games with sound effects and music, and guides you towards playing in a certain way if you want a “high score”. Like sure you can speed run a “course” and go straight from the start tile to the end tile and skip everything else, but then you end up with zero points. But if you dawdle and try to farm points, you won’t make it to the end in time and you lose. Mario rewards points for actually making him walk and jump through the course and interact with the play features in appropriate ways, and plays music and talks and does appropriate sound effects along the way to keep you immersed in it. If Mario falls off a platform or spends too much time on red (fire) or purple (poison) tiles, he gets stunned for several seconds and that’s time wasted that you’re not getting points though there are clever ways around it, like literally shaking Mario to get poison off him, or putting him on a blue tile (water) to put a fire out, or having a super mushroom which negates the effects of a fall. If you get Luigi in on the action, you get extra points for performing actions together and some of the sets are designed to encourage two people working together.

If anything the timers are a little short and even 90 seconds is barely enough to clear some of the big sets by themselves, let alone if you incorporate them into a larger course. There’s one start tile that times how fast you can collect 50 coins so that helps negate that a bit and lets you string together a ton of stuff.

I agree that a lot of the sets are very modular or lean heavily on their play gimmicks and that’s by design, but I’m okay with that.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, a few years ago I bought a €5 knock-off Lego set for my dad that was basically the player bus for his favourite football team. It was a really lazy design, just a hollow bus-shaped shell on four wheels, and for whatever reason the instructions expected you to basically build the whole thing upside down, starting by laying down some ground plates for the roof and working your way up. I can only imagine what that level of engineering and instructions would do for a complicated set like that.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

I can understand that, I think much of the appeal of the Mario line is whether you “buy into” the play pattern. It does an admirable job of recreating old-school gameplay mechanics from the games with sound effects and music, and guides you towards playing in a certain way if you want a “high score”. Like sure you can speed run a “course” and go straight from the start tile to the end tile and skip everything else, but then you end up with zero points. But if you dawdle and try to farm points, you won’t make it to the end in time and you lose. Mario rewards points for actually making him walk and jump through the course and interact with the play features in appropriate ways, and plays music and talks and does appropriate sound effects along the way to keep you immersed in it. If Mario falls off a platform or spends too much time on red (fire) or purple (poison) tiles, he gets stunned for several seconds and that’s time wasted that you’re not getting points though there are clever ways around it, like literally shaking Mario to get poison off him, or putting him on a blue tile (water) to put a fire out, or having a super mushroom which negates the effects of a fall. If you get Luigi in on the action, you get extra points for performing actions together and some of the sets are designed to encourage two people working together.

If anything the timers are a little short and even 90 seconds is barely enough to clear some of the big sets by themselves, let alone if you incorporate them into a larger course. There’s one start tile that times how fast you can collect 50 coins so that helps negate that a bit and lets you string together a ton of stuff.

I agree that a lot of the sets are very modular or lean heavily on their play gimmicks and that’s by design, but I’m okay with that.

That's actually pretty dope. Shame I'm not spending $200+ on BUPs though, the barrier to enter is too high.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

I am pulling my hair out building a knock-off block set for the Battleship Yamato from Star Blazers. The design and directions are terrible and I can’t put one part together without the whole thing collapsing with any amount of sustained force/pressure. You don’t appreciate the engineering involved in a LEGO set until you deal with other building blocks. This is what the set looks like finished so yeah, RIP my sanity. The bastard doesn’t even come with a proper base.

The solution is gluing a significant amount of this together. Any suggestions on a glue that’s strong enough to bind the pieces, but weak enough to use a heat gun on in case I accidentally glue together something I need to take apart later? I’m afraid superglue might be too much and Elmer’s too little. Maybe Gorilla Glue? I’ve never had to do this to a set before.

I've used Elmers white glue, just soak the pieces in water and scrub and it should come off. The Gorilla is for stuff you don't want coming apart.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mameluke posted:

That's actually pretty dope. Shame I'm not spending $200+ on BUPs though, the barrier to enter is too high.

What are BUPs?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

'Big useless pieces', probably talking about Mario's Outfits

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mmm that poo poo's swooshable tho

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zefiel posted:

'Big useless pieces', probably talking about Mario's Outfits

I only got a couple outfits on sale, I got the Fire Mario one because it’s one of my favorite OG Mario looks (and the way it replicates shooting fireballs and dealing bonus damage to enemies is pretty novel), Cat Mario because I like cats, and Penguin Mario because he looks cute and he was on clearance at Walmart and I have a problem.

Also popping off Mario’s pants and having him say “Mama Mia!” is funny to me.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Xenomrph posted:

I only got a couple outfits on sale, I got the Fire Mario one because it’s one of my favorite OG Mario looks (and the way it replicates shooting fireballs and dealing bonus damage to enemies is pretty novel), Cat Mario because I like cats, and Penguin Mario because he looks cute and he was on clearance at Walmart and I have a problem.

Also popping off Mario’s pants and having him say “Mama Mia!” is funny to me.

I was kind of joking, maybe BUP means something different! And I don't know how many other big and 'useless' pieces are there in the sets proper. I don't like calling big molded pieces like that 'useless' from the get go, I think they just demand (a lot) more creativity. As an Alien fan I assume you've seen the buildable Alien Queen Mega Construx made? The head is mostly shaped using a big, moulded piece they created before, a hardlight shield from Halo 4. So pieces that seem could have no other use might have one, just looking harder. Granted the shield while unwieldy and big compared with other pieces is still not as big as one of Mario's outfits, but it we pressed Carbs to make something incorporating the outfits I bet he could. Just my cents. (and requisite shilling for Mega :v: )

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Found all structural pieces of my old Lego Town hospital…and there’s more than a little yellowing of the bricks. What’s the safest way to restore the original color to these? And is it safe to use on things like torsos with printed shirts, or only on bricks?

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 7, 2022

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Hmm. Upon closer inspection of this pic I need to get one of my less-colorblind-than-me kids to help me choose the yellow studs for the lights.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

why are there car seats just sitting in the grass in front of a hospital

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

davebo posted:

but I for sure found Lando's head and Han's torso (but no arms, wtf kind of monster pulls arms off minifigs)

Probably a pissed off Lego Wookie minifig.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Zefiel posted:

I was kind of joking, maybe BUP means something different! And I don't know how many other big and 'useless' pieces are there in the sets proper. I don't like calling big molded pieces like that 'useless' from the get go, I think they just demand (a lot) more creativity. As an Alien fan I assume you've seen the buildable Alien Queen Mega Construx made? The head is mostly shaped using a big, moulded piece they created before, a hardlight shield from Halo 4. So pieces that seem could have no other use might have one, just looking harder. Granted the shield while unwieldy and big compared with other pieces is still not as big as one of Mario's outfits, but it we pressed Carbs to make something incorporating the outfits I bet he could. Just my cents. (and requisite shilling for Mega :v: )

Well, there are rock panels commonly called LURPs (little ugly rock pieces) and BURPs (big ugly rock pieces), and more recently the MURP, so maybe that's where that comes from?

I agree though, IMO there's no such thing as a 'useless' Lego part, just ones that require more creativity to use well. Like this robot that uses the rubber strap from a Vidiyo Beatbox

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bird with big dick posted:

That's the waiting room.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Well, there are rock panels commonly called LURPs (little ugly rock pieces) and BURPs (big ugly rock pieces), and more recently the MURP, so maybe that's where that comes from?

I agree though, IMO there's no such thing as a 'useless' Lego part, just ones that require more creativity to use well. Like this robot that uses the rubber strap from a Vidiyo Beatbox

That robot is amazing! What is the part that makes the yellow "sandal" on the foot?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Looks like Batman's utility belt

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Ratatozsk posted:

Found all structural pieces of my old Lego Town hospital…and there’s more than a little yellowing of the bricks. What’s the safest way to restore the original color to these? And is it safe to use on things like torsos with printed shirts, or only on bricks?

The easiest way is Hydrogen Peroxide and sunlight, how long it will take depends on where you live. I would start with whatever they have at your supermarket (its $1 for 32 ounce of 3% at my Wegmans), put the all white pieces in a tupperwear and leave on a window sill that gets a lot of sun (assuming you're in the middle of winter right now). Give it a mix about once a day and check after a few days, you can keep the pieces in there forever until they turn back.

For the printed pieces its safe but you have to check much more often, I tend to do those separate to avoid other parts scraping the printed areas (when doing it with higher temperatures like direct sunlight in the middle of summer its more risky the colors can run or scrape off).

There are also methods using things like UV lights to help speed up while doing it indoors, and methods with heat from a sous vide machine as well. I've tried them and they all work, but usually I'm not in a rush so I usually just use the peroxide and window sill or outside.

You can also use this on non-white bricks as well, just check on them more often like you would do with the printed pieces. Its helpful to keep a control piece nearby to compare the color to so you know when you want to stop. Sometimes blue parts get a chalky appearance but that can be fixed with a quick rub of plastic polish.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if the science is entirely understood on it, but I've heard that the yellowing is caused by a chemical in the plastic reaching the surface and yellowing it. You can bleach it out, but it might re-yellow again later on as more of the chemical makes it to the surface.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MarxCarl posted:

I've used Elmers white glue, just soak the pieces in water and scrub and it should come off. The Gorilla is for stuff you don't want coming apart.

Elmer’s it is then. I don’t really know how much extra structural integrity I need, but it’s definitely more than what this set has naturally.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

DrChu posted:

The easiest way is Hydrogen Peroxide and sunlight

Isn't some of the yellowing itself caused by sunlight? :crossarms:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Futanari Damacy posted:

Isn't some of the yellowing itself caused by sunlight? :crossarms:

That depends. If it’s the really grungy looking orange discoloration then yeah, possibly. Peroxide + sunlight is a good fix for the lighter yellowing and “greying” you see on old plastics. I’ve got a mason jar that I fill with 3% peroxide to de-yellow old Kenner Stormtroopers and it’s worked like a charm for years. It can take a while (I’ve had a few troopers in the jar for over a month) but it does work and it’s far less damaging for the plastic than bleach.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Building this set certainly makes me appreciate the wider range of little bits we have nowadays and the creative things they can do to mimic familiar office stuff. Inside this thing is sparse.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Big Mean Jerk posted:

(I’ve had a few troopers in the jar for over a month)

Brave of you to dox yourself like this.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ratatozsk posted:

Building this set certainly makes me appreciate the wider range of little bits we have nowadays and the creative things they can do to mimic familiar office stuff. Inside this thing is sparse.

Looking back, I’m amazed they had those rolling garage doors in some of the very old sets. Those were pretty modern levels of complexity. And very awesome.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I've put together some 90s sets recently and some modern creator stuff in the modular style like the beech hut. Its really interesting how different they are. The ability to print more complex instructions feels like a big factor, the 90s sets feel very spaced out.

Its also kinda wild getting to the alternate builds at the end and discovering theres just a picture, work it out yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

smackfu posted:

Looking back, I’m amazed they had those rolling garage doors in some of the very old sets. Those were pretty modern levels of complexity. And very awesome.

I also just did an old Town Fire Station, and while it's roughly the same era it feels like it's ages ahead. Inside space (albeit much smaller than the hospital) is much smaller and all the vehicles have more bells and whistles. Sadly missing half the garage track for the door on the right at the moment, but figure it's just a matter of time before I find it hidden in some other set.