Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

workingdogv1 posted:

Didn't think I had any more cracks to ping but Open Biden 2: Die Harder is really doing my head in, just feels great to not only be abandoned but have them rub it In. Rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

McCracAttack posted:

Feel free to prove me wrong.

I got the coffee in and thought about it more and realized... I'm a dumbass! Lol

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Nocturtle posted:

This is the main problem I can see. House prices around NYC are going way up and don't see it getting better. The rats are fleeing the ship, and what's worse is I'm one of the pokier rats! Some maladjusted part of me hopes the current drive for normalcy pushes prices back down a bit, so the reactionary homeowner mindset is already setting in.

You're right about the respirator, exposure isn't a serious problem for house buying. However you might consider a lot of people in the public haven't been trained for proper respirator usage. Expecting normal people to get a reliable seal every time for the rest of their lives when there's little margin for error isn't realistic, and given that the risk isn't essentially zero.

Absolutely, if you can't afford a house, that sucks. And in his reply he did state that he cannot afford a house. But in the original post he made it sound like the reason he wasn't buying a house was the danger, not the expense.

Elastomeric respirators are really hard to mess up as long as you don't try to wear them over a full beard. The margin of error on them is very high, much higher than for a disposable mask, even a good one like an Aura. If you have something like a 3M 7500 series or a SecureClick, getting a reliable seal is incredibly easy.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

Relevant Tangent posted:

this is all just cope wrt not accepting that the people who run the world are all dumber than dog poo poo

That's my take.

They remind me of the eejits running things in June 1914.

Except that they're even less effectively intelligent. Since they seem to think they merely pronounce their opinions as natural law.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Louisgod posted:

going to be extremely funny and predictable when another insane variant hits exactly 1 month after mask mandates are lifted

It'll be even funnier when society does nothing about it.

gently caress it, if people want to snort rails of covid off a bartop then let them

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

maybe COVID will just go away like Spanish flu did or become a common cold like the thing with the bunnies - did anyone think of that?

:nsa:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

workingdogv1 posted:

Didn't think I had any more cracks to ping but Open Biden 2: Die Harder is really doing my head in, just feels great to not only be abandoned but have them rub it In. Rules.

They're doing victory laps on 1m+ corpses.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Immediately, a top-rated post on my college's subreddit proposing we drop the mask mandate, quoting Fauci in the FT. lmao. lockstep

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

DickParasite posted:

There's no model that could accurately forecast deaths because all models are dependent on Reff which is only measurable post hoc.

It's always and inevitably worse than that.

You're examining a system (namely, a pandemic) where you cannot even hope to capture all the forces at play, within the relatively small system of nonlinear DEs that constitutes your model.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Kylaer posted:

Elastomeric respirators are really hard to mess up as long as you don't try to wear them over a full beard. The margin of error on them is very high, much higher than for a disposable mask, even a good one like an Aura. If you have something like a 3M 7500 series or a SecureClick, getting a reliable seal is incredibly easy.

While we're on the topic, I just want to double check - do you need to get a full breath without leakage to pass the positive check? Or does it just need to fill the space for a portion of the breath and then eventually leak out (since there's nowhere for the air to go), as opposed to coming out immediately?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
How long until masking is illegal

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Paradoxish posted:

They're doing victory laps on 1m+ corpses.

hey on the plus side, looks like we can get a ton of free 3M Auras from stores that'll likely sit there for weeks.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

CPU Abuser posted:

They certainly do not.

Covid does not permit long term planning because it's future evolution cannot be predicted.

We're looking at a pathogen which is using random mutation combined with natural selection to explore a "fitness landscape" we are utterly ignorant about.

With Covid as your major operational asset, you can't make a plan that you can confidently expect to be worth a leaping poo poo in even 6 month's time, let alone 1-2 years.

that's right.

myco is up too late channeling the communist control program model and forgot the difference between predictability and controllability. :3:

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

goth smoking cloves posted:

This is exactly what we are talking about, in the short term it makes sense to steal money this way but right now these materials are in short supply and likely worth more in the long run than the money they are being traded for.

All they know is grift

That's why their future is almost as bleak as ours.

They'll buy themselves a bit of extra time with the money they've stolen. But they've already displayed the fact that they don't know how to use that time, so it really does them no good.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CPU Abuser posted:

It's always and inevitably worse than that.

You're examining a system (namely, a pandemic) where you cannot even hope to capture all the forces at play, within the relatively small system of nonlinear DEs that constitutes your model.

I mean...

Close enough works. Any and all statistical modeling is 'close enough.' But all the statistical models in the world won't help you if the public doesn't buy in. COVID is a marketing problem, not a planning problem. And currently all the marketing is OPEN BIDEN.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

theyre all dying of suicide from the stress and depression caused by lockdown fatigue and mask mandates

seems like suicides are a statistic that is very easy to report and track though.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

If they were competent and evil, they would be using the f35 material to make drones to force everyone into work.

Instead the entire government and business sector is an endless well of fail children giving each other reach a rounds.

YES.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I commented during a listening session for a new climate change plan in my state, and one of my arguments was that we (Michigan) need to "rebrand car culture for the 21st century" because LOL if I'm going to realistically get Americans to give up personal automobiles but there's a chance I can make an electric vehicle a mark of prestige through social pressure.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

No one in this thread is saying the vaccine is bad or that you shouldn't get it.

What they are saying is it's loving ludicrous to assume it will always offer the same protection from severe disease in future when we already have witnessed waning protection 3-6 months out from the last dos and a partial immune escape varient.

what we’re saying is that there is no Covid immunity.

IMMUNITY TO COVID DOESNT EXIST IN ANY FORM

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

workingdogv1 posted:

It rules that libs have completely poisoned the well of reasoning with anyone using studies, etc because they put assholes like Fauci on Meet the Press every other week saying something totally different and smugly attributing it to science.

Every mask argument devolves to "oh so you believe the science like FAUCI?"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!

CPU Abuser posted:

That's why their future is almost as bleak as ours.

They'll buy themselves a bit of extra time with the money they've stolen. But they've already displayed the fact that they don't know how to use that time, so it really does them no good.

lol remembering that CEO doom prepper luncheon where they all had the same question: how do i prevent my security force from overthrowing me after the poo poo has actually gone down? could we fix them with some kind of loyalty collar?

nearly all of them have been born into the positions they're in and have kept them by listening to what the people around them say and replying "okay, sounds good." as soon as any of them actually have to lead in a moment where readymade solutions aren't handed to them, they're either gonna go full psycho warlord or (more likely) get domed by the closest full psycho warlord waiting for the chance to step up.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Glumwheels posted:

I’m done voting if this is what both parties decide.

Republicans want a theocracy, presumably you don't?

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

Warmachine posted:

I mean...

Close enough works. Any and all statistical modeling is 'close enough.' But all the statistical models in the world won't help you if the public doesn't buy in. COVID is a marketing problem, not a planning problem. And currently all the marketing is OPEN BIDEN.

NO.

I don't think you've seen even the best bits of mathematical modeling exposed to serious testing, only to watch them crumble like they were made out of moldy paper mâché.

I have. I used to do this sort of thing for a living.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i am harry posted:

give yourself willingly to the virus

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Relevant Tangent posted:

democrats will enact a theocracy in everything but name, just to appease people who will never vote for them

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

CPU Abuser posted:

They remind me of the eejits running things in June 1914.

Exactly how old are you, again :thunk:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i am harry posted:

mask 😡

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!

Relevant Tangent posted:

lmao oh noooo not the republicans!!!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CPU Abuser posted:

NO.

I don't think you've seen even the best bits of mathematical modeling exposed to serious testing, only to watch them crumble like they were made out of moldy paper mâché.

I have. I used to do this sort of thing for a living.

Then I don't know what to tell you. What were you modeling? Because there are some things that are way more resilient and produce way more confident statistical metrics (physics, biochem, 'hard' sciences) than others (social sciences writ large). I studied economics, and frankly moldy paper mache was a good day and a reason to get beers.

And that doesn't change my thesis: you have a marketing problem where the public thinks this is no big deal because either 1) the message they're getting is inconsistent and so they're defaulting back to 'normal' or 2) the powers-that-be are actively marketing the death cult, AKA Open Biden.

The general public thinks statistics is all fake anyway. Source: my anecdotal conversations with random people where I tell them my interests and they say that to my face.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Why Am I So Tired posted:

While we're on the topic, I just want to double check - do you need to get a full breath without leakage to pass the positive check?

No. It's physically impossible for you to fully exhale into the mask without breaking the seal, your lung volume is far too large. Just puff out a little bit of air and see if there's an immediate leak. Anything more than slight pressure will, by physical necessity, force air out under the seal. The positive pressure check is also way, way less important than the negative pressure check. It's mostly for making sure your inspiratory valves (between the filters and the inside of the mask) are functioning properly and that you aren't exhaling into your filters.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

our office just dropped mask requirements lol

That sucks rear end and I'm sorry. The mask requirement is the only reason I'm comfortable coming in to my office and I'm Hitting Da Bricks as best as I can if they drop it anytime soon.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
White House is about to announce that Covid is officially over.
https://youtu.be/A5HPATPKxoc

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i mean it's true the chuds want all leftists (including, in their eyes, every member of the Democratic party) dead and are working hard to make that a reality but also the Democrats are a very ineffective political party so it's hard to say who would be better to run the country

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

our office just dropped mask requirements lol

That's a big ol' lmao. But were they effective mask requirements or was it like, "Put on your cloth mask when you walk into the break room for coffee."

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I got the coffee in and thought about it more and realized... I'm a dumbass! Lol

Well then we've got that in common.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Enjoy. Go hog wild.

/r/coronavirus

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BoldFace posted:

White House is about to announce that Covid is officially over.
https://youtu.be/A5HPATPKxoc

I ain't clicking that. Did they put a flight jacket on Biden?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they might say the quiet parts loud and accidentally help people with populism

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Who could have possibly imagined that this might happen?

Realize these survival probability vs time plots are EXTREMELY dire considered in their entirety, but honestly this one is kind of reassuring to anyone recently infected:

If you make it out to roughly one month then the probability of death is not significantly higher than for the non-infected controls, esp with a "non-severe" case. This is interpreting the plots as using cumulative mortality to calculate probability of death vs time, which the paper text itself suggests. It would be quite a different matter if for example the slope of the green "COVID" curve was systematically higher than the blue control curve over the entire time period, but the excess probability of death is dominated by the rise in mortality in that first month and afterwards the slopes are consistent. Still very dire, but slim pickings for good news at present.

Of course the timescale for "long COVID" impacts to appear is 2-8 weeks at least, so infected people aren't out of the woods at 1 month. And as this thread has noted who knows what this plot looks like out to 10 years, with some reinfections mixed in.

Kylaer posted:

For sure, the 7500 series is my daily mask and it's close to idiot proof, assuming the idiot remembers to shave.

Sadly lots of people use disposable respirators that aren't as easy to check the seal even in principle, unless you have access to fit testing equipment, and haven't even been trained to do so. These people then get into crowded subway cars and classrooms. I just don't see the risk as essentially zero in this case, esp as errors will happen and they can be hard to catch with disposables, esp if you don't know what to look for. They're definitely much better than wearing a cloth mask though, that CDC guidance likely killed a lot of people.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I ain't clicking that. Did they put a flight jacket on Biden?

There's someone wearing a flight jacket but they didn't put a name badge on the front of the jacket so who knows who it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

McCracAttack posted:

That's a big ol' lmao. But were they effective mask requirements or was it like, "Put on your cloth mask when you walk into the break room for coffee."

Well then we've got that in common.

While not everyone was going full KN95 mask use here was pretty much 100% which was honestly real loving surprising (this is ohio). Most people have their own office so they didnt wear one by themsevles by in any common area or when talking to someone everyone was masked up.

I've now had at least 5 people tell me I don't have to keep masking up when they see me still wearing a mask lmao