Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Speaking of Costa and replicating those tropicals with tissue cultures, remember this:

We'll seeee

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ok Comboomer posted:

Costa and a few others have been building up stock of albo and Thai constellation monstera for the last two+ years. The promise was we’d start to see them in 2021 but COVID appears to have slowed that process down and demand for normal type monstera was super high last year, so I think a lot of the real estate that would’ve gone to propagating and growing up more variegated plants went to blasting out a ton of those—but maybe 2022! I saw a YouTube interview with the guy that runs Costa a few months back and he was saying “very very soon”.

So the thing I see people waiting for with Costa is their thai constellations that they were tissue cultivating. Their website now says release some time in 2023, and a self-identified employee said on reddit recently that they were having issues with mass-scale tissue cultivation and that the whole crop may be having issues. For whatever that is worth.

edit ^ yea that

Still, this

quote:

Either way, just know that a few big players in the hobby have been openly saying for years now that they imminently intend to flood the market and pop the monstera bubble, so my advice is to not go plowing thousands of savings into building a plant flipping op if it depends on making insane profits indefinitely.

Is very sound advice and my attempt to get a free plant out of propping what I bought yesterday probably shouldn't be emulated for larger-scale profit-making lol.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Speaking of Costa and replicating those tropicals with tissue cultures, remember this:

We'll seeee

I don’t go on Facebook. Why did they burn all those cordylines? :ohdear:

I’ve heard rumblings that Costa/etc do a lot of market manipulation around these bubbles—delaying mass releases, low-key/under the table selling of cuttings/mothers at inflation prices, feeding Etsy stores/etc, destroying stock to create scarcity, etc. before flooding the market at $15/plant and wiping everyone else out.

And don’t even get me started on them slapping a copyright and a propagation/sale prohibition on Calathea musaica/Goeppertia kegeljanii (which nobody seems to be honoring)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

skylined! posted:

Still, this

Is very sound advice and my attempt to get a free plant out of propping what I bought yesterday probably shouldn't be emulated for larger-scale profit-making lol.

FWIW, if you get good propagates out of your monstera I’d be very happy to buy one.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

i really need to get off my rear end and propagate a bunch of abelia, forsythia, hydrangea and camellias this year

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I recently started work propagating rare tropicals for a small concern here in the US. We have 4 greenhouses and are adding a 5th and are 5 employees large. Since we cannot compete on price/margin my boss semi-regularly flies to Ecuador and Peru to collect rare species (often that have never been for sale before anywhere) from private lands with permission/export licenses/phyto/etc. This allows us to set prices that aren't razor thin and that means we don't have to sell a zillion plants per second just to keep the lights on. Obviously this means our prices are pretty high which I think sucks but you don't absolutely NEED that Begonia darthvaderiana (that one got imported... Thailand don't gently caress around).

Okay so what you’re saying is you can get me cuttings for a goon discount…? :biglips:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i really need to get off my rear end and propagate a bunch of abelia, forsythia, hydrangea and camellias this year

My issue is I don't really like more than two or at most three of the same plant in my garden and so I only ever end up propagating poo poo like groundcover that I want to spread wider and the occasional request from a friend or whatever. Seems like a waste but :shrug:.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wallet posted:

My issue is I don't really like more than two or at most three of the same plant in my garden and so I only ever end up propagating poo poo like groundcover that I want to spread wider and the occasional request from a friend or whatever. Seems like a waste but :shrug:.

I propagate things because I enjoy doing it. Then after they’re rooted and starting to grow I give them away normally. Except the monstera last year, those I put a smaller price on so as to not ruin it for others completely. But for plants like pothos I can’t give them away fast enough. Plants do what they do and sometimes they die, and sometimes they get trimmed. If you don’t enjoy doing another round it’s not a waste. You’re spending time doing something else you enjoy doing instead (hopefully).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i am harry posted:

Okay so what you’re saying is you can get me cuttings for a goon discount…? :biglips:

“Buddy, they won’t even let ME gently caress it…”

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
https://youtu.be/_pDTiFkXgEE

But seriously, good luck! It wouldn’t shock me if some growers were loving with the market, colluding with influencers and other crazy poo poo to be honest.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Does anyone have experience with hydrogen peroxide drenches for houseplant soil pests? The sources I'm seeing suggest drastically different strengths:

https://www.reddit.com/r/houseplants/comments/i7tf1c/truth_no_single_fungus_gnat_control_method/
https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/how-to-control-fungus-gnats-organically
suggests 1:4

https://planethouseplant.com/hydrogen-peroxide-house-plants-faq/
suggests 1:16 or 1:48 (a tablespoon or teaspoon per cup of water)

That's a pretty huge range so I was hoping to get some other feedback. I'm using 3% just like both of these sources

Nosre fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 2, 2022

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

At work we use 3% for eradicating seedborn pathogens, but if there's any kind of radicle we use .6%, or a 1:5 dilution of the 3%. Might apply to a full-grown root structure :shrug:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bi-la kaifa posted:

At work we use 3% for eradicating seedborn pathogens, but if there's any kind of radicle we use .6%, or a 1:5 dilution of the 3%. Might apply to a full-grown root structure :shrug:

When I've used hydrogen peroxide as a soil drench I've just used it at 3%. That might be impractical if you're trying to hit a large pot though.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

You mean straight up 3% doesn't hurt roots? If so, a 1/4th dilution of 3% certainly won't, which is what I'm worried about :)

I've got my other tools of stickies and mosquito bits, this is just a small tactical nuke for a bad pot

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Nosre posted:

You mean straight up 3% doesn't hurt roots? If so, a 1/4th dilution of 3% certainly won't, which is what I'm worried about :)

I've got my other tools of stickies and mosquito bits, this is just a small tactical nuke for a bad pot

I can't guarantee anything for any particular plant, but I didn't have any issues with 3% when I did it.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Of course, some stuff will be more sensitive. That's good to hear, though

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nosre posted:

Of course, some stuff will be more sensitive. That's good to hear, though

if you’re worried about a particular plant, look it up, but I’ve never had a problem with straight 3%

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for the info regarding the houseplant market.

Unrelatedly:

FOR SALE: BOWL FULL OF ROOTED TROPICAL CUTTINGS. HASHTAGE VARIEGATED POTHOS HASTAG MONSTERA
$500. No lowballs. No tire kickers. I know what i got. This monstera is a heritage variety, hand selected from the lobby of an apartment building in North vANCOUVER in 2005

(Mother plant for display purposes only. Not for sale)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oooh, and an idea for what to do with spare grow capacity: Look into the viability of sprouts / microgreens. Quick crop cycles with those.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

That monstera on the wall kicks rear end.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

Oooh, and an idea for what to do with spare grow capacity: Look into the viability of sprouts / microgreens. Quick crop cycles with those.

They’re very easy and I will sometimes just do it on my kitchen counter.

I saw a fully potted pothos that color yesterday for $20. And I’m staring at a monstera with the same leaves. I think we paid $40 for the mother plant, but I need to get this one trained better.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah that looks like a marble queen pothos, and I got mine at a big box store for like $15 and it’s big

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah that looks like a marble queen pothos, and I got mine at a big box store for like $15 and it’s big

Yeah, that’s the cutting I took from it last summer. At some point it’s going to strangle me in the night. I need to take cuttings and repot the original with new soil. I’ll still probably sell two more this spring to fuel the habit. The one behind the monstera in my picture (I think it’s a philodendron of some sort? I didn’t buy it and someone threw the tag away when it was bought), also gives me 2-4 new plants a year. Hardest part is going to buy a bag of potting soil so I can get rid of them. I’m putting up a greenhouse in the autumn too, so next year I’ll have to have a day and just sell various hot pepper starts and plants.

I bought a pickle plant, a waxy Hoya, and some small leafy palm that should fit in a indirect light spot and hopefully only get 2’ tall. The nursery sells these as just rooted cuttings essentially for $5, so I tend to catch myself buying a few.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

I uh... need some suggestions for what to put in this for my wife for Valentine's Day.

Serious suggestions only, people.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

skylined! posted:

I uh... need some suggestions for what to put in this for my wife for Valentine's Day.

Serious suggestions only, people.

Obviously Amorphophallus—Plant Delights has a bunch of cool ones.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Fig pruning! I have a very well established fig tree that I need to get pruned. This is sadly one that was not well maintained. It was hitting about 15' high when we first moved in, last year I think it topped out at about 10' high. I'm trying to pull it down some more, but I'm no expert, and all the guides show these cute little tiny fig trees. This is neither.

I took this at the worst possible angle, but this shows kind of what I'm working with. There are 2 other 'trunks' directly behind the one shown here, and one of them has 3 large branches that will probably have to be removed. I'll get some better pictures later. However, should I be taking those large trunks further down? Should I take them completely down and work off of the smaller shoots? I'm getting rid of all the crossing branches, going to clean the center out some for better sunlight, but I need to know if I need to shorten those huge branches too.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Fig pruning!

There's a couple of good pruning primers from Purdue linked in the third post of the thread, but it can be really hard trying to fix a tree that's already been poorly maintained for a long time. I would probably just focus on cleaning up crossing branches and weak splits and let it do its thing. If you really want to pull it significantly lower you're probably going to have to take huge chunks of it off.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Wallet posted:

There's a couple of good pruning primers from Purdue linked in the third post of the thread, but it can be really hard trying to fix a tree that's already been poorly maintained for a long time. I would probably just focus on cleaning up crossing branches and weak splits and let it do its thing. If you really want to pull it significantly lower you're probably going to have to take huge chunks of it off.

Getting it lower is mostly to get to the fruit. I'll just clean up what is there and trim the smaller branches back 1/3 like most other guides say and go from there, and remove most of the completely vertical branches.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Are these what we were talking about?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

B33rChiller posted:

(Mother plant for display purposes only. Not for sale)

This owns. I took partial inspiration and rescued a philo my wife was killing and it seems to like growing along the wall.

Also put up a couple planter hangers in my office. What should I put next to Ms. Pothos? e: Nevermind, just moved my spider plant there from our west-facing kitchen windowsill.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 7, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

i am harry posted:

Are these what we were talking about?

These are monstera deliciosa, yea. A plant this size will go for $15 - $50 depending on where you are at, and are carried by Lowes and Home Depot almost year-round now. Wal Mart usually has them most places.

The below is a variegated juvenile example ('aurea' form, pretty rare) of the same plant that someone was selling on Facebook recently for $650 per cut node. The variegation distinguishes the rarity of these plants. Albo is a common variegation, others you can google include mint, aurea, Thai constellation, green on green, and I am sure there are others that I am missing.

Baby plant that sold for $750. At least this is rooted.

And a monstera deliciosa 'albo' variation someone was selling for $870

This will really gently caress you up, lol. This is a variegated black cardinal philodendron I watched go for $1650 on a Facebook auction over the course of an hour. Someone opened the bidding at $200. It went from $900 to $1500 in one jump. I've seen other private sellers list the same plant at $2500 on websites.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 7, 2022

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ah right so mutations in the leaves are what do it. I understand

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

i am harry posted:

Ah right so mutations in the leaves are what do it. I understand

yep

same thing happens with crested and monstrose form succulents. When you see a fully monstrose form like Opuntia “Gumby” or Ming Thing it’s usually a propagate from a mutant branch/nodule off of an originator parent plant.

That’s also how you get certain dwarf conifers in cultivation, like the “Dino” varietal of cedar of Lebanon. The genetic origin of the line was a witch’s broom that was air layered off of a mature full size cedar somewhere in Scandinavia, IIRC.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also variegated/crested/monstrose plants can often revert back to the phenotype of the parent plant that produced the original mutant shoot.

Example: this Philodendron triplet includes two variegated “Birkin” on the left and a Congo Red (the progenitor strain, of which a mutant shoot was clipped and propagated to produce Birkin) on the right.

These three plants were almost certainly cultured together, so the reversion happened de novo at some point before I bought them. I think they look rad :3:.

yes, I know my floors are disgusting, I need to mop there’s a ton of dirt from outside on them

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

That Birkin looks great.

So I got some IKEA cabinets for indoor 'greenhouses' and there is a whole little niche community on Facebook/Reddit dedicated to transforming these things into vivariums. Got one set up last night and some plants in it - I have some fans and other stuff on the way still, but so far it's pretty neat. I had to make a little instagram photo set (I don't actually use instagram).

d o g

skylined! fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 9, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

skylined! posted:

So I got some IKEA cabinets for indoor 'greenhouses' and there is a whole little niche community on Facebook/Reddit dedicated to transforming these things into vivariums. Got one set up last night and some plants in it - I have some fans and other stuff on the way still, but so far it's pretty neat. I had to make a little instagram photo set (I don't actually use instagram).

Looks nice!

Corner dog is the best dog.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wallet posted:

Looks nice!

Corner dog is the best dog.

Thanks. It's going to evolve and will be a fun project.

Corner dog is Roadie. We found him on the side of the road. Center dog is Window, because we got her after she was thrown out of a car window. We are a clever people.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

skylined! posted:

That Birkin looks great.

d o g

So jealous!! I’m waiting for them to come back into stock at the ikea near me so I can get one to set up for my orchids.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Bonus pic of my newest Cattleya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

So jealous!! I’m waiting for them to come back into stock at the ikea near me so I can get one to set up for my orchids.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck. I waited for months and finally got the in-stock notification, drove 2 hours to Atlanta, reserved in-store (couldn't do click and collect because they only showed 4 in stock and they need 5 to offer it), paid, went 50 feet to the warehouse door to pick up and they were out of stock. lol. I had to get a refund and plead my case to a customer service rep for them to agree to put it aside for me the next time it was in stock - they got a shipment the next day. So I got the notification again, called, and thankfully they honored their promise and it was there when I went to pick up. IKEA's logistics are a mess right now, for good and understandable reasons, but they aren't making it any better for themselves with their wonky stock tracking. I would have gone another direction if there was anything comparable and inexpensive or I found something similar locally. Anyways that's my story and your Cattleya is pretty.