Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to hold off for now. If I really, really need a table saw for something I can get in touch with a friend that has one, otherwise I'll try to expand my skillset with what I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A pretty decent deal on three DeWalt 20v batteries for us yellow tool gang.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...346-3/313596376

$156 for a 6 AH, 4 AH, and 2 AH.

Alternately if you want to get into the new mysterious :science:POWERSTACK BATTERIES:science:, you can get two for $179 and choose a bare tool from the linked list, mostly the usual suspects.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/promo-deal/?offerID=5634

All I can read about the Powerstack stuff seems that it's a silhouette slightly larger than the standard 2 AH 20v, slightly lower amp hours, a bit more peak output, and double the theoretical charge cycles. I don't see the appeal for a hobbyist if they already own 2 or 3 batteries in the system :shrug:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

canyoneer posted:

A pretty decent deal on three DeWalt 20v batteries for us yellow tool gang.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...346-3/313596376

$156 for a 6 AH, 4 AH, and 2 AH.

Alternately if you want to get into the new mysterious :science:POWERSTACK BATTERIES:science:, you can get two for $179 and choose a bare tool from the linked list, mostly the usual suspects.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/promo-deal/?offerID=5634

All I can read about the Powerstack stuff seems that it's a silhouette slightly larger than the standard 2 AH 20v, slightly lower amp hours, a bit more peak output, and double the theoretical charge cycles. I don't see the appeal for a hobbyist if they already own 2 or 3 batteries in the system :shrug:

Some decent testing of the Powerstack batteries here, comparing them to a 2AH and 5AH battery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTKRK1RInFw

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

JerikTelorian posted:

I've recently been fortunate to move into a house and am no longer renting, so I was thinking of getting some tools for building and making stuff. I've heard good reviews of this table saw:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-10-in-Table-Saw-with-Folding-Stand-R4518/309413142

On the other hand, I have some other Ryobi stuff I inherited from family (band saw and miter saw) and I've been pretty happy with the quality and saw this slightly cheaper but otherwise seemingly comparable Ryobi:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-15-Amp-10-in-Expanded-Capacity-Table-Saw-With-Rolling-Stand-RTS23/309412848

Is there any particularly important distinction between them? Is there something about the Rigid that makes it worth dropping the extra $50? Both have the clamp style fence and reviews say it wiggles a bit being put into place which I figured, but I don't think that's a problem I can get around without spending more money.

I have a bunch of Ryobi stuff I'm happy with, but there is literally nothing good about that table saw. The fence is terrible, it's very difficult to align, there's no dust collection, the table is too small to feel safe on long rips or wide crosscuts, it's much harder to make a sled for, it's loud, and it feels like someone rigged up a motor and a real saw blade to a child's toy.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

My mother and her husband are moving sometime this year. He's not taking all his shop tools with him. He asked if I want his table saw. It's a 3hp Powermatic that he got back in 1976. I said I didn't want it because

* I don't see myself doing any fine woodworking in the future- I'm more going to be doing metal fabrication.
* My most precise saw is a 12" miter on a stand, it's worked for what I need it
* I don't have space. Like, I could fit the table saw in my house, but I wouldn't have clearance around it unless I got rid of other tools
* I can probably find someone to do sawing if I really need it.
* I like having all my fingers

Am I making the right decision here? It's a nice piece of equipment, but I just don't see myself using or needing the capabilities of it. And it's big. It's not really something I want to grab just to have it, especially given it would instead go to someone who plans on putting it to use frequently.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sous Videodrome posted:

My mother and her husband are moving sometime this year. He's not taking all his shop tools with him. He asked if I want his table saw. It's a 3hp Powermatic that he got back in 1976. I said I didn't want it because

* I don't see myself doing any fine woodworking in the future- I'm more going to be doing metal fabrication.
* I don't have space. Like, I could fit the table saw in my house, but I wouldn't have clearance around it unless I got rid of other tools

Am I making the right decision here? It's a nice piece of equipment, but I just don't see myself using or needing the capabilities of it. And it's big. It's not really something I want to grab just to have it, especially given it would instead go to someone who plans on putting it to use frequently.

sounds like you should give it to JerikTelorian

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sous Videodrome posted:

If that's a Powermatic 66, that's a really great table saw, but if you don't need or want a table saw, then don't take it. It's probably pretty big and heavy and hard to move around much. If you think you might want a table saw in the future, it might be worth putting a table top over to use as a work surface until you find you need the saw. Some of the big cast iron table is probably removable-it will probably break down to be 30"-ish square or smaller in footprint. Assuming it has been well maintained, that's about as nice a tablesaw as exists for nice woodworking.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sous Videodrome posted:

Take it and flip it for something you can use. Those saws are classics.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Take it and flip it for something you can use. Those saws are classics.

This x1000.

To me that saw sounds like a great way to finance *insert awesome tool I really really want here*.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

JerikTelorian posted:

I've recently been fortunate to move into a house and am no longer renting, so I was thinking of getting some tools for building and making stuff. I've heard good reviews of this table saw:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-10-in-Table-Saw-with-Folding-Stand-R4518/309413142

On the other hand, I have some other Ryobi stuff I inherited from family (band saw and miter saw) and I've been pretty happy with the quality and saw this slightly cheaper but otherwise seemingly comparable Ryobi:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-15-Amp-10-in-Expanded-Capacity-Table-Saw-With-Rolling-Stand-RTS23/309412848

Is there any particularly important distinction between them? Is there something about the Rigid that makes it worth dropping the extra $50? Both have the clamp style fence and reviews say it wiggles a bit being put into place which I figured, but I don't think that's a problem I can get around without spending more money.

I had an old Craftsman saw with a really lovely fence. A bad fence isn't just about "how accurate your cuts are", if the fence isn't or won't stay square enough to the blade its actively dangerous to use. If the fence and blade aren't parallel your workpiece can bind and kickback. Kickback means high chances of losing fingers/hands or worse.

Echoing the other posters, either buy a good table saw with a proper fence or don't buy a table saw at all. This isn't necessarily the case with all tools, table saws are the only example I know where a cheap or badly adjusted one is so dangerous.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

sounds like you should give it to JerikTelorian

I'm trying to cut my fingers-off not hand-outs :freep:

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 9, 2022

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
After a decent bday gift card this is the week I finally get my sawstop saw. Excited to not be crawling on the ground with a circ saw anymore

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

I had an old Craftsman saw with a really lovely fence. A bad fence isn't just about "how accurate your cuts are", if the fence isn't or won't stay square enough to the blade its actively dangerous to use. If the fence and blade aren't parallel your workpiece can bind and kickback. Kickback means high chances of losing fingers/hands or worse.

Echoing the other posters, either buy a good table saw with a proper fence or don't buy a table saw at all. This isn't necessarily the case with all tools, table saws are the only example I know where a cheap or badly adjusted one is so dangerous.

OMG this 100%.. My grandpa gave me his old mastershop whatever poo poo saw he bought because he was cheap which I thought was good when I was like 10. I set it up and used it one time, turned it off and put it in the trash. It was underpowered, bad fence, no guards

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I wish I had a photo but my DeWalt tools arrived yesterday (three massive boxes) while I'm away at a work conference in California. My wife texted me when they got there and didn't even send me a photo. She has no idea how rewarding it is to score a deal like that.

"Honey, I just scored $2000 worth of great tools for $300! That's like striking gold as far as Internet deals go ... I'll live the rest of my life chasing this high."

"Neat, but you already have tools, why do you need more, or three duplicate sets?"

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Ok that's great can you fix the door now or

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Verman posted:

I wish I had a photo but my DeWalt tools arrived yesterday (three massive boxes) while I'm away at a work conference in California. My wife texted me when they got there and didn't even send me a photo. She has no idea how rewarding it is to score a deal like that.

"Honey, I just scored $2000 worth of great tools for $300! That's like striking gold as far as Internet deals go ... I'll live the rest of my life chasing this high."

"Neat, but you already have tools, why do you need more, or three duplicate sets?"

:rackem:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Anyone use these 4" wet/dry handheld tile saws? https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWC860W-4-3-8-Inch-Masonry/dp/B003BVW5NU?th=1

I've got some cutting for my showers to do and the tiles we ordered are 24x48. No way will that work with my table wet saw.

I figured using a straight edge with a handheld should do the trick but thought I'd see if anyone here has done something similar.

Edit: I can get this one locally but not sure on Menards house brand: https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...85170536&ipos=3

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 9, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

wandler20 posted:

Anyone use these 4" wet/dry handheld tile saws? https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWC860W-4-3-8-Inch-Masonry/dp/B003BVW5NU?th=1

I've got some cutting for my showers to do and the tiles we ordered are 24x48. No way will that work with my table wet saw.

I figured using a straight edge with a handheld should do the trick but thought I'd see if anyone here has done something similar.

Edit: I can get this one locally but not sure on Menards house brand: https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...85170536&ipos=3

Masterforce is complete garbage, but I reckon it's about the perfect choice for the one time in your life you're gonna be using 24x48 tiles (because I promise you'll never do that poo poo to yourself again after this project). It's like how everyone is fine with the harbor freight grinders - Some tools are simplistic enough (make disc spin fast) that the expensive ones don't do a lot more than the cheap ones other than survive a bit longer.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

wandler20 posted:

Plan your cuts ahead of time and rent a wet rail saw, it's $87/day at my home depot

I'm sure either of those would work but without an integrated water collection system, seems like it would be very messy. Unless you're ok with cutting it outside.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Unfortunately I have no Home Depot nearby or a place to rent a larger saw. Kind of stuck in that sense. I don't mind the mess, I normally throw a tarp down and go nuts when I tile anyway and that seems to work well.

I'll probably give the lovely Menards one a try since I can't find anything else locally and I'd like to start without waiting a week for something to ship here.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Some Menard’s locations do tool rentals too. It wouldn’t hurt to check at least.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I've used my father in laws 10+ year old lovely Menards special tile saw for half a dozen tile projects over the years, and he's given a beating on his own too.

Probably should have bought a better saw years ago, but it's always gotten the job done

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Magnetic combination square vs traditional combination square?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Calidus posted:

Magnetic combination square vs traditional combination square?

If you are going to be using it to draw on ferrous metal dear god get the magnetic one. Makes life so SO much easier.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

wandler20 posted:

Unfortunately I have no Home Depot nearby or a place to rent a larger saw. Kind of stuck in that sense. I don't mind the mess, I normally throw a tarp down and go nuts when I tile anyway and that seems to work well.

I'll probably give the lovely Menards one a try since I can't find anything else locally and I'd like to start without waiting a week for something to ship here.

ahh bummer. yeah in that case give it a whirl, i've had good results cutting subway tile with a speed square and one of these:

either the menards or the dewalt looks to be the same just a little bigger and with water hose, it ought to work fine

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wandler20 posted:

Those are some bigass tiles. Believe it or not, this harbor fright saw is a gem. It's apparently nearly doubled in price since I got mine, and looks like they're discontinuing it. I'm reading that the HF equivalent in Canada is Princess Auto?

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/power-saws/tile-masonry-saws/10-in-wet-tile-saw-with-sliding-table-69275.html

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Mr. Mambold posted:

Those are some bigass tiles. Believe it or not, this harbor fright saw is a gem. It's apparently nearly doubled in price since I got mine, and looks like they're discontinuing it. I'm reading that the HF equivalent in Canada is Princess Auto?

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/power-saws/tile-masonry-saws/10-in-wet-tile-saw-with-sliding-table-69275.html

For sure. 71lbs per tile. It's going to be a project. Thinking about making a table with pink foam to cut it on.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wandler20 posted:

For sure. 71lbs per tile. It's going to be a project. Thinking about making a table with pink foam to cut it on.

That's one way of doing it, but that foam will make a stinking mess. Well, maybe not if it's a wet saw. All straight cuts, then, nothing fancy-shmancy?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's one way of doing it, but that foam will make a stinking mess. Well, maybe not if it's a wet saw. All straight cuts, then, nothing fancy-shmancy?

Pretty much all straight. I have a couple squares to cut out but have some diamond hole saws that'll hopefully make those easier to get started.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mr. Mambold posted:

I'm reading that the HF equivalent in Canada is Princess Auto?

Yeah, and in spite of the name, Princess Auto has a much more manly house brand called POWER FIST

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, and in spite of the name, Princess Auto has a much more manly house brand called POWER FIST

Nutting butt the breast for the Princess

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm looking for a reasonably portable compressor for inflating things and some light nailing (not automotive or heavy duty construction, I don't have any air tools yet). A few caught my eye that come with a hose + nailer, these are all 6 gal, 2.6 cfm compressors:

Mastercraft $249
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-6-gallon-pancake-compressor-brad-nailer-3996296p.html

RIDGID $268
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-6-gallon-pancake-compressor-and-2-1-8-inch-brad-nailer-kit/1001382695

Porter Cable $319
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/porter-cable-6-gal-150-psi-portable-electric-air-compressor-and-18-gauge-brad-nailer-combo-kit/1000171105

Any brands to avoid in the compressor space?

Also, is this a screaming deal? It's a 10 gal (4 cfm) for $269.99, or is this a 'get what you pay for' scenario
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-10-gallon-shop-air-compressor-0581390p.html

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've used that Porter-Cable pancake compressor, and it works fine. It's pretty noisy, but I doubt that the other two you linked are going to beat it on that front :v:

About all I remember about compressors, otherwise, is that California Air Tools makes the nice ones. :shrug:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone and their grandma has that Porter cable. Never dies and noisy as hell is a pretty good summary.

Newer compressors are so quiet, I wouldn't bother with a loud rattling compressor anymore. I've been using the 3 gallon Makita for solo framing & trim and really love it. The 2 gallon is around $200 and ought to cover your needs. Figure another $40 for a quality air hose and $50 for a refurbished brad nailer.

E:oops this is the 1.5 gal but you get the idea

If you plan on using lots of air tools, you may need something with more capacity .. Impact wrenches and especially air grinders are very air hungry. But my 3 gallon keeps up w my nailguns just fine.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Have a Porter Cable pancake and I find myself not using it because I don't want to blow out my eardrums. If you're already wearing hearing protection it's not a big deal, but it's that kind of loud in a closed garage (I think 85 decibels)? Also walks across the floor as it runs.

I got a good deal on it so such is life, but if I'm paying full price California Air Tool 8 gallon with a 62 decibel rating is barely over $200, makes it an easy call for me. Just sad I missed the deal for the Goodyear 8 gallon at Walmart for $40 a couple weeks ago, bad time to be quarantined.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Everyone and their grandma has that Porter cable. Never dies and noisy as hell is a pretty good summary.
Ehhhh. I killed two of them. One had its pressure switch die so I just compresses till the safety valve pops, and the other one seized up.

Replaced it with a 20 gallon California and never looked back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Ehhhh. I killed two of them. One had its pressure switch die so I just compresses till the safety valve pops,

And, at least when I was looking, there were no parts available to do anything about that. It's a pretty common failure mode from what I've seen around.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I've had my Porter pancake compressor for about 8 years now without any issues. Never use it indoors without hearing protection, though.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I have Bostitch labeled version of that Portal Cable compressor. It’s loud as poo poo but it works. Having a air compressor just for a nailer is annoying in my garage. Pneumatic tools are awesome if have a nice setup with drops and/or retractable hoses. I kinda wish I just overpaid for an electric nailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

wandler20 posted:

It should be pretty straightforward, set the blade to the right depth and wear a mask and eye pro. Also on most tile saws you can flip the tile and cut the off side on those large format tiles. What kind of tile is it? Run ya thinset or whatever perpendicular to gravity on those big pieces, build off a ledger if you're having slumping issues