Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rjmccall posted:

ncis has quite a few multi-episode story arcs, unfortunately

actually i was watching both ncis and criminal minds recently and somehow synched up the points where gibbs goes into a coma and gideon quits, and now i need to find something else dumb to watch, because all of the good shows i’m watching range from “a bit of a downer” to “ozark”

i watched some of criminal minds for the first time just last year. it seemed insanely dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im watching “nirvana in fire” now and it’s pretty good. took me a couple episodes to get into it, and it’s a bit long at 50 something episodes, but it’s very clearly a single story working toward a defined end and both the protagonist and villains are smart people making logical choices and everyone has a distinct personality and clear motivations. seems like basic stuff but it’s kind of refreshing in 2022 lol.

plus it has some fun and campy wuxia fight scenes and a very tense and cool scene where the personal army of a prince is taking slow steps toward the front door of an insane noble’s house and the tension is works because your not sure if the noble is so far gone that he’s gonna actually murder the prince. idk that doesn’t sound cool when i write it out but it’s nice to see a scene like that in a tv show like this where the excitement isn’t just some guys punching each other

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

If it's better than the final 2 seasons i'll be happy. It always felt like a series that could be revived whenever

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m annoyed because the last episode was actually a decent send off and makes rewatching the show canon

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
the last episode was pretty decent, yeah

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Fool posted:

I’m annoyed because the last episode was actually a decent send off and makes rewatching the show canon

it has become a really important life skill (well, as important as things can be in media consumption anyway) to not watch or care about bad bits of good things.

think i primarily learned that skill from the simpsons, which has no less warm a place in my heart in 2022 than it did in 2002.

e: partially its a simple "let people enjoy things" kind of thing.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it has become a really important life skill (well, as important as things can be in media consumption anyway) to not watch or care about bad bits of good things.

think i primarily learned that skill from the simpsons, which has no less warm a place in my heart in 2022 than it did in 2002.

e: partially its a simple "let people enjoy things" kind of thing.
related: it's ok to let things go when you find you no longer like them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Improbable Lobster posted:

If it's better than the final 2 seasons i'll be happy. It always felt like a series that could be revived whenever

i think it's unlikely that it will be and i really wish they would just let it lie and go on to making something new instead of banking on nostalgia for a show that was good 20 years ago.

of course if disenchantment is what happens when they go on to make something new, well, you can see why i'd rather they leave futurama as it was.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 10, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
fair! i would also rather see a good new thing but lol that doesn't happen anymore

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

i watched some of criminal minds for the first time just last year. it seemed insanely dumb

i liked most of the first two seasons. it’s not perfect, but it works. then mandy patinkin left and (especially) they brought in that dude from law and order to replace him and frankly that one episode was so bad and such a shift from the previous feel that i gave the series up immediately

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

maybe its because im the age i am but no tv comedies have really hit me the way nbc used to loving crush poo poo in 2007 with 30 rock, parks and rec, the office, and community back to back. like all those shows had good and bad season but they all also hold up pretty ok adjusting for the lib succ zone poo poo.

there hasn't really been a comedy tv show in the last decade that hit like mid season community. brooklyn 99 is funny but again, the copaganda. blackish is ok but too fuckin cheesy. what we do in the shadows is funny but not "tune in every week" funny. i'm going to ignore all the netflix/hulu poo poo because none of that poo poo holds up. unbreakable kimmy schmidt and emily in paris are garbage tier shows.

about the only two things that have really hit for me in the past 10 years is fresh off the boat and the good place. and i guess for "dramedy" you're the worst, and the league are both pretty funny but nothing had made me lose it in the way community season 2 and 3 just had me dying every episode.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

One of the biggest mistakes that show did was getting rid of Gideon.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

the new TOR 'Best of' anthology is now up as a free legit download

UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B09Q1Z1Z96

USA https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B09Q1Z1Z96

Other links apart from Amazon on the TOR page

https://www.tor.com/2022/02/08/some-of-the-best-from-tor-com-2021-is-out-now/

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 10, 2022

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Casual Encountess posted:

maybe its because im the age i am but no tv comedies have really hit me the way nbc used to loving crush poo poo in 2007 with 30 rock, parks and rec, the office, and community back to back. like all those shows had good and bad season but they all also hold up pretty ok adjusting for the lib succ zone poo poo.

there hasn't really been a comedy tv show in the last decade that hit like mid season community. brooklyn 99 is funny but again, the copaganda. blackish is ok but too fuckin cheesy. what we do in the shadows is funny but not "tune in every week" funny. i'm going to ignore all the netflix/hulu poo poo because none of that poo poo holds up. unbreakable kimmy schmidt and emily in paris are garbage tier shows.

about the only two things that have really hit for me in the past 10 years is fresh off the boat and the good place. and i guess for "dramedy" you're the worst, and the league are both pretty funny but nothing had made me lose it in the way community season 2 and 3 just had me dying every episode.
when network comedies are funny it's usually unintended. but, yeah, same. good place is the last recent one that comes to mind

in terms of non-network am finding peacemaker to be a pretty funny show all things considered. and of course righteous gemstones

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i recently drunk watched the first two episodes of "how i met your father" and jesus loving christ

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i will defend himym in that it relaunched nph's career, but the last few seasons of that show were Pretty Fuckin Bad too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

indigi posted:

Brooklyn 99 is worth watching solely for Stephanie Beatriz. I’d leave my wife and child on Christmas morning for her

i wouldn't because i am happily married to santiago

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

i will defend himym in that it relaunched nph's career, but the last few seasons of that show were Pretty Fuckin Bad too.

it was actually harold and kumar that relaunched his career.

that movie owns.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

harold and kumar will always be one of my favorite movies because it was the first time i saw an asian man get the girl AND kiss her. and honestly one of the first times i saw a western movie where asian people were just people and not just racial stereotypes/comic relief sidekicks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the league is a dramedy now??

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

"harold and kumar escape from guantanamo bay" is not a very good movie but it might have the best title of any movie in history

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

there hasn't really been a comedy tv show in the last decade that hit like mid season community.

Detroiters, Veep

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Endless Mike posted:

the league is a dramedy now??

dang u right

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will never really get cringe comedy like 30 rock, the office, veep, curb, etc. I mean I guess people like it but it is so not my jam just watching people be super uncomfortable for minutes at a time, or the emperors new clothes bit when someone is doing something that sucks and everyone knows it but them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don’t think 30 Rock belongs in that category at all

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you want comedy just go rewatch frasier i guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

indigi posted:

I don’t think 30 Rock belongs in that category at all

yeah that really jumped out too. 30 rock is absurdist comedy. there are occasional cringey moments on it played for laughs but that's definitely not its main thing.

my ranking of what qirex posted by cringe factor would be something like

> scott's tots
> veep
> mean british version of the office
> early american seasons of the office
> curb
> later american seasons of the office
> cretaceous era sediment
> 30 rock

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

I will never really get cringe comedy like 30 rock, the office, veep, curb, etc. I mean I guess people like it but it is so not my jam just watching people be super uncomfortable for minutes at a time, or the emperors new clothes bit when someone is doing something that sucks and everyone knows it but them

You may hate Schitt's Creek but it's real good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think British Office is solidly above Veep at least in terms of proportion, almost all the jokes in British Office are uncomfortable or cringey but Veep is mostly over the plate jokes, there’s like 3 FDOTUS/this is an elementary school/Will-bo Faggins bits for every Patton Oswalt molesting Jonah situation

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i guess there's a further distinction between "cringe because this is really awkward, but not mean" and "cringe because this is just people being being cruel to each other."

daniwah is the former. david brent is the latter

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tk posted:

You may hate Schitt's Creek but it's real good.

yeah I recognize when stuff isn't for me, which includes schitts creek. I'm also totally over thinking rich white people who ruin their own lives is the funniest poo poo ever

maybe I'm misclassifying 30 rock since I haven't watched it in forever but it wasn't my jam

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh yeah, Veep is just abhorrently mean

https://youtu.be/eETuZBeSxuA

I wonder how many takes it took them to get through this, I bet the reverses don’t even have someone reading the list off screen. “the cloud botherer” is loving genius

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i dont like how mean always sunny is. i appreciate its funny but its not my style of humor. the league is dangerously close to that line for me but for ~*reasons*~ it feels less bad to me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

indigi posted:

I wonder how many takes it took them to get through this, I bet the reverses don’t even have someone reading the list off screen. “the cloud botherer” is loving genius

amy's face is absolutely perfect. i don't know why she never won an emmy just for her expressions

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

anyway imo the show about the stupid vampires who live on staten island is the best comedy currently running

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

i dont like how mean always sunny is. i appreciate its funny but its not my style of humor. the league is dangerously close to that line for me but for ~*reasons*~ it feels less bad to me

shiva blast

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

if you want comedy just go rewatch frasier i guess
frasier is evergreen

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

indigi posted:

between veep and avenue 5 im glad neelix is now part of ianucchis acting stable

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I saw John DiMaggio posting about not being cast as Bender in the Futurama re-re-boot and realized that he is literally King Zøg.

https://twitter.com/TheJohnDiMaggio/status/1491599944876269568?s=20&t=q5dT_ESKbYR1fbhKoR0TBg

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

somehow it slipped my notice that he wasn’t coming back for the rerevival. that’s horseshit