Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
The Riddle of the Rosetta by Jed Buchwald and Diane Josefowicz was published last year and is probably the most up to date book on the topic you can find. I don't think it covers much past the initial decipherment process though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Currently reading:
A Vietcong Memoir by Truong Nhu Tang

It is highly readable and such a breath of fresh air. Even Ken Burns' Vietnam is laden with Western propaganda. Any other recommendations up this alley? I want to read more history from the people who lived it, without the imperialist lean.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'm looking for a book my father mentioned, he must have read it somewhere around 2000-2005 so published before then. It was about military history, possibly about Basil Liddle-Hart and his ideas about warfare in the 30's. The only detail I can remember him talking about was that allied command, or the people who did their heavy thinking for them, had realized that German weapons and equipment were far superior to anything they could give a British soldier by the time the war was likely to happen. They decided that the only counter they had was volume - individually an allied soldier might not be able to fire as fast as a German, but he should never run out of bullets, so allied solders always had far more weapons and equipment than they might really have needed, if you see what I mean. I might be mis-remembering quite a lot of this.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

escape artist posted:

Currently reading:

It is highly readable and such a breath of fresh air. Even Ken Burns' Vietnam is laden with Western propaganda. Any other recommendations up this alley? I want to read more history from the people who lived it, without the imperialist lean.

Don't have any other recommendations but that's a great book and my go-to whenever someone wants a view of the Vietnam War from the other side.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

escape artist posted:

Currently reading:

It’s not a biography but The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen won a Pulitzer Prize. I have not read it yet, but it’s gotten rave reviews from people I know who’ve read it and it’s always great to get points of view about the war, from the north and the south, by Vietnamese themselves.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It’s not a biography but The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen won a Pulitzer Prize. I have not read it yet, but it’s gotten rave reviews from people I know who’ve read it and it’s always great to get points of view about the war, from the north and the south, by Vietnamese themselves.
This is a phenomenal book, and anyone in this thread would probably enjoy it, but it's not really about the war per se. The war is more the canvas the story is created on.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
You might want to read Perfect Spy, about Pham Xuan An, a reporter with the International Herald Tribune and Life Magazine and a Viet Cong spy.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

As a Vietnam War books guy, a lot of good choices mentioned already. The Perfect Spy and The Sympathizer are a lot of fun.

Some others which I liked were The Red Earth: A Vietnamese Memoir of Life on a Colonial Rubber Plantation by Tran Tu Binh, which was part of a North Vietnamese oral history project in the early 60s to record the successes of the old comrades against the French, as part of ramping up support for the next war against the Americans.

Hanoi's War by Lien-Hang T. Nguyen is based on recent work in Vietnamese archives, and follows General Secretary Le Duan and his primary deputy Le Duc Tho as the two leaders of the Communist effort. It's serious academic history, so a little dry, but it shows how North Vietnam never lost sight of its primary objective of a unified Communist Vietnam, and how its strategy adapted to circumstances.

And finally, Last Night I Dreamed of Peace by Dang Thuy Tram is the diary of a North Vietnamese doctor who was killed in action during the war, which was plucked from the mass of intelligence analysis and became a best-seller in contemporary Vietnam. It's a picture of a smart, dedicated, sentimental young woman fighting for what she believes in.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
What are the best books currently available in English about the Allied invasion of Sicily?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Gripweed posted:

What are the best books currently available in English about the Allied invasion of Sicily?

Rick Atkinson covers it in detail in the day of battle however his whole Liberation trilogy, which also covers the North African and Western Europe campaigns, is excellent.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Biffmotron posted:

And finally, Last Night I Dreamed of Peace by Dang Thuy Tram is the diary of a North Vietnamese doctor who was killed in action during the war, which was plucked from the mass of intelligence analysis and became a best-seller in contemporary Vietnam. It's a picture of a smart, dedicated, sentimental young woman fighting for what she believes in.

This sounds so good that I'm going to buy it and read it right now.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I finished a book about Gordievsky which I liked, The Spy and the Traitor. Hit me with some more non-fiction cold war spy stuff.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Best book on the first Vietnam War in English or French? I'd prefer an academic account, preferably with a good bibliography.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

wukkar posted:

I finished a book about Gordievsky which I liked, The Spy and the Traitor. Hit me with some more non-fiction cold war spy stuff.

Christopher Andrew's two books written with Vasilii Mitrokhin are both worth reading, they're histories of the KGB in the Cold War based on documents Mitrokhin (a former KGB archivist) smuggled out of the KGB archive. There's been some controversy over Andrew's own close ties with MI5 outside his work with Mitrokhin, but I think the books themselves are still good since they're primarily about what the KGB was doing based on KGB documents.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

When I was in grad school I read Ghosts of War in Vietnam by Heonik Kwon, about how the perception of ghosts plays into various forms of Vietnamese memories of the war. It was really interesting.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Boatswain posted:

Best book on the first Vietnam War in English or French? I'd prefer an academic account, preferably with a good bibliography.

What you want is Embers of War by Fredrik Logevall which is a Pulitzer Prize winning book about the French-Indochina war.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

What you want is Embers of War by Fredrik Logevall which is a Pulitzer Prize winning book about the French-Indochina war.

Looks dope, thanks!

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
What are some recommended books about the history of Vietnam before WWII? Searching for Vietnamese history always leads to the wars against France and the US but that's not all that defines the country or its history and I'd love to know more about the colonial and pre-colonial past instead of just looking for various perspectives on the last half of the twentieth century.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Christopher Goscha's book is a general survey of Vietnamese history that was recommended to me by a historian specializing in SE Asia.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Minenfeld! posted:

Christopher Goscha's book is a general survey of Vietnamese history that was recommended to me by a historian specializing in SE Asia.

Can co-sign this

https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-New-...aps%2C80&sr=8-6

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It's a family memoir, and not entirely about the pre-WWII period, but Duong van Mai Elliott's "The Sacred Willow: Four Generations in the Life of a Vietnamese Family" is pretty good. Her great-grandfather was an official under the last Emperor, her grandfather was a civil servant under the French, her father governor of Haiphong and later a South Vietnamese official, her sister a member of the Viet Minh, and she was a researcher with the RAND corporation who came to the US after the fall of Saigon. It's a good look at the history of a Vietnamese upper middle class family over the generations, the challenges they faced and the choices they made.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

stereobreadsticks posted:

What are some recommended books about the history of Vietnam before WWII? Searching for Vietnamese history always leads to the wars against France and the US but that's not all that defines the country or its history and I'd love to know more about the colonial and pre-colonial past instead of just looking for various perspectives on the last half of the twentieth century.

The Penguin History of Modern Vietnam by Christopher Goscha is supposed to be very good, but it does not extend very far back.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm interested in reading The Story of Civilization but am worried that the historiography will be way too outdated. Should I put it off until I'm familiar with more modern research on the periods covered?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Maybe not a good fit for this specific thread but on the topic of Vietnam, are there any recs for overviews of postwar Vietnam to now, or 1980s-2010s Southeast Asia in general?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

FPyat posted:

I'm interested in reading The Story of Civilization but am worried that the historiography will be way too outdated. Should I put it off until I'm familiar with more modern research on the periods covered?

I think with Will Durant you read it for the prose and for the man's philosophical musings, more than anything. You can probably skip volume 1, which condenses all the Asian history he knew into a single book.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It's just like reading Gibbon: you read it because it's well written and a literary high point.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Boatswain posted:

Looks dope, thanks!

Just wanna double-down on this recco; Embers of War was a fantastic, illuminating read.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Minenfeld! posted:

It's just like reading Gibbon: you read it because it's well written and a literary high point.

Books like this are also a fine starting point if you have very little detailed information about the topic and understand you're not seeing the latest thought on the subject. It can also be really helpful in understanding later works and why more modern historians are taking the tack they do.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

City of Dreams: The 400-Year Epic History of Immigrant New York by Tyler Anbinder is an excellent and readable history of New York City immigration. I learned a lot about the waves of Irish and German migrants and how the most popular countries of origin changed so much over the decades because of laws and policies. Very readable and keeps the narrative moving.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Biffmotron posted:

As a Vietnam War books guy, a lot of good choices mentioned already. The Perfect Spy and The Sympathizer are a lot of fun.

Some others which I liked were The Red Earth: A Vietnamese Memoir of Life on a Colonial Rubber Plantation by Tran Tu Binh, which was part of a North Vietnamese oral history project in the early 60s to record the successes of the old comrades against the French, as part of ramping up support for the next war against the Americans.

Hanoi's War by Lien-Hang T. Nguyen is based on recent work in Vietnamese archives, and follows General Secretary Le Duan and his primary deputy Le Duc Tho as the two leaders of the Communist effort. It's serious academic history, so a little dry, but it shows how North Vietnam never lost sight of its primary objective of a unified Communist Vietnam, and how its strategy adapted to circumstances.

I want to add one more to this list.

I haven't read it yet, but a few weeks ago I was listening to an interview with Pierre Asselin, author of Hanoi's Road to the Vietnam War, 1954-1965

Podcast interview link here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/pierre-asselin-vietnams-american-war-history-cambridge/id425214664?i=1000457102262

Granted, Pierre is not Vietnamese (he is from Quebec) but he is one of the first westerners to get access to the state archives back in the 1990s, and this book is the culmination of that research. It dives into the Vietnam Communist Party's struggles to consolidate power after their victory over the French, the side-lining of Ho Chi Minh by Le Duan, and the decision to support the Southern Communists (Viet Cong) and the road to war with the US to reunify the South.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What should I read to get up to speed on the Punic wars?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

What should I read to get up to speed on the Punic wars?

Adrian Goldsworthy has a book on them.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Adrian Goldsworthy has a book on them.

Seconding this recommendation, its called The Fall of Carthage, and it's a great book.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm curious about the perspective of the minor German states towards German unification 1848-1871. What diplomatic maneuvers were made? How did attitudes and political motivations shift? What were the leaders thinking as they finally decided to join Prussia? How much reluctance was there?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

Christopher Andrew's two books written with Vasilii Mitrokhin are both worth reading, they're histories of the KGB in the Cold War based on documents Mitrokhin (a former KGB archivist) smuggled out of the KGB archive. There's been some controversy over Andrew's own close ties with MI5 outside his work with Mitrokhin, but I think the books themselves are still good since they're primarily about what the KGB was doing based on KGB documents.

I missed this but A Legacy Of Ashes about what gently caress ups the CIA are is a great read.

It's apparently biased because it doesn't talk about all the great successes the CIA had [citation needed] and only focuses on them failing.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I am reading through some of his own writing, and I would very much like to read a biography of John Muir. Any recommendations?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
whats some good books on Antietam? been reading the sears book and its great but i am curious about others.

also maybe some interesting books about that period. like i love This Republic of Suffering, so something like that maybe. i have been on a civil war kick since i started played war of rights.

EDIT.

also any good books about lincolns lawyer years/ court cases.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 16, 2022

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats some good books on Antietam? been reading the sears book and its great but i am curious about others.

also maybe some interesting books about that period. like i love This Republic of Suffering, so something like that maybe. i have been on a civil war kick since i started played war of rights.

EDIT.

also any good books about lincolns lawyer years/ court cases.

Bruce Catton's account of the battle in Mr Lincoln's Army is extremely good, it dominates the rest of the book.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I know I'm looking for a unicorn here, but is there any single volume work on Russia as it evolved from Tsarist regime to WW1 to Lenin to Stalin to WW2 to Cold War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You must be a virgin, because you just found Suny's The Soviet Experiment.