Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Everyone, please stop making me more hype for SoP. I don’t think my heart can take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Vermain posted:

Runic is a conceptually interesting idea that's used exactly once and can then never be used again due to the vagaries of the ATB system and the lack of any kind of visual racetrack/turn order to let you know when it's actually a good time to use it versus completely blowing all your ATB on doing jack poo poo (or, worse, sabotaging your own party).

I would use it for some specific areas (e.g. Slam Dancers in Zozo). I'd just set it on and skip over her when her gauge was up. Once Runic triggered I'd set it immediately again effectively locking out anyone from doing magic more than once, which has value especially before you get a lot of espers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

Everyone, please stop making me more hype for SoP. I don’t think my heart can take it.

The final fight will be scored by the Sinatra song.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The final fight will be scored by the Sinatra song.

And when the boss’s phase change happens, it’ll transition into the Limp Bizkit song.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Saint Freak posted:

Final Fantasy already contains the three pillars of music: Frank Sinatra, Ariana Grande, and Limp Bizkit.

So is Florence and the Machine a forbidden fourth technique?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They should have put this in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez9S8PS2E3I

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So how much do we know about the game's mechanics? I hear it has New game+ right? Is it justified by having the game have a time loop?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So how much do we know about the game's mechanics? I hear it has New game+ right? Is it justified by having the game have a time loop?

There have been two demos. It's basically level based with missions ala Nioh and there is almost certainly going to be a NG+, it just depends on if its plot or mechanics only,.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the plot is about an angry man

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Calaveron posted:

New Game + is justified by making the gameplay fun.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
New game: i want to kill chaos
New game +: i killed chaos

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the plot is about an angry man

He has a softer side going by the Sinatra.

Softly killing chaos.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean, is it a spoiler to say why a time loop new game + justification makes perfect sense?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Straight up after listening to it enough I can say categorically..

It’s an F. A miss. Can’t recommend it this holiday season.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sia also sucks pretty bad as a person so the faster that gets memory-holed the better IMO

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Should have just used the Bayonetta version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV6E13xODyA

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the sinatra is there to lure chaos into a false sense of security actually

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 12, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I mean, is it a spoiler to say why a time loop new game + justification makes perfect sense?

No. It's a sorta-retelling of the original Final Fantasy where the main character is named Jack Garland. They ain't fuckin' hiding it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
garland is actually a very common last name... nothing unusual about it at all

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jack is gonna tell a group he's gonna knock them all down and I'm gonna lose my poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jokes posted:

Straight up after listening to it enough I can say categorically..

It’s an F. A miss. Can’t recommend it this holiday season.

Yeah no kidding. Probably one of the most covered songs ever, and this is just... nothing special.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wonder if the CC remaster is going to make the battle music be not terrible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

They said it'll have remixed music so... maybe?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I went ahead and bought Voice of Cards 2 since I loved the first one so much, and the second one looks like it's almost certainly going to be even more interesting with all the different factions and such.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

The simple inclusion of a non-awful normal battle theme is enough to justify the remaster. They know Gale sucks too, it's never in any of these CC medleys or concerts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The cutscenes playing while you go down the stairs with Seifer was really neat, not so much when they had to immediately cut to an actual one when they realized the race scene wasn't going to work, but still nice job cool to see them push forward with utilizing the medium. Gotta say anchoring the story in the defeat the party suffered, and the whole getting the gang back together has done wonders for the plot, that plus the interesting way they're telling the story is a lot more compelling.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gaius Marius posted:

The cutscenes playing while you go down the stairs with Seifer was really neat, not so much when they had to immediately cut to an actual one when they realized the race scene wasn't going to work, but still nice job cool to see them push forward with utilizing the medium. Gotta say anchoring the story in the defeat the party suffered, and the whole getting the gang back together has done wonders for the plot, that plus the interesting way they're telling the story is a lot more compelling.

Setzer. Seifer is a... very different person in an equally dumb coat.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Setzer. Seifer is a... very different person in an equally dumb coat.

They've hosed up names multiple times thus far. I wouldn't expect them to get it right now.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
I don't mind the wordy WotL translation too much, but removing spell quotes in the port was unforgivable. What they did with them in the FF14 Ivalice raid showed that they could've been amazing.

Not translation related, but another problem that WotL has that isn't mentioned much is that the sound emulation is awful. The music is fine, but the sfx for spells and other attacks sounds like early snes emulation before they implemented noise effects. I remember reading somewhere that it actually is emulating the PSX sound chip (poorly).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That scene with Setzer reminded me of CT and confronting Magus. Not because the actual content of the scenes were at all similar but because both games blew me away with the storytelling. I played both CT and FFVI well into the PS4 era but the visuals and audio they used in these games and in these scenes are just timeless.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Calaveron posted:

No I just think it's a bit funny to ask if NG+ is justified.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The party reaching the Falcon and "Searching for Friends" playing for the first time as the airship flies out of the ocean still gives me goosebumps.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There is a 95 % chance I will comb every map for treasure, and find stuff that was under my nose for 20 years, and still not get the effing achievement.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There were some treasure chests that had different items in them after some time passes. Looking forward to NG+ having you open a couple chests in two different points of time for that 100%.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
if you had difficulty following the plot in psx fft you might have brain problems

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

There were some treasure chests that had different items in them after some time passes. Looking forward to NG+ having you open a couple chests in two different points of time for that 100%.

I think the completion achievement is based on the number of chests in the area, so I imagine in this case as long as you open them at either point in time will count.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Relin posted:

if you had difficulty following the plot in psx fft you might have brain problems

the translation is mush, especially as you go on. yeah you get it enough with the visuals and what you can get from the words but it's not good

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Relin posted:

Eh, I dunno. The war plot was ok, but I don't think I had any idea what was going on with the lore behind st ajora. The germonick scriptures are a mess.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/FudgeX02/status/1492233831742586881

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does FF7R Tifa still have Limits where she lifts enemies?