Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Shenmue anime is cutting down several hours of the actual game, but since it's not cutting any of the actual plot, it doesn't feel rushed.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thats not the real shenmue

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I feel like the real Shenmue experience would be something like "here's your third episode, in which the protagonist just walks for 20 minutes, because that's how long it would take him to walk to the convenience store. we've sadly been forced to abridge some of the walking for the next eps, but you can find it all in the OVAs, along with all the door-opening, bed-making and shoe-removing animations our editor forced us to remove from the original 1,472 hour long cut of the anime"

e: also yeah Sono Bisque does kinda have a problem with its secondary cast, in that nobody really sticks around beyond their own little arcs. The manga has about 3 seasons worth of chapters at this point, and only *now* are we seeing other characters show up regularly. It's mostly just the main couple, Gojo's gramps, and whoever's around for the current outfit arc. This leaves the heavy pulling to Gojo and Marin, who generally have good chemistry but it might not be enough to keep some viewers interested.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 13, 2022

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
New seasons announced for Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer
https://twitter.com/kimetsu_off/status/1492876465851056135?s=20&t=-hj66m5YjJVaSk7nwD9Mqg
https://twitter.com/animejujutsu/status/1492434543193718786?s=20&t=nEuYS3U_WoyMVAwLSGNmpw

Also announced was an anime adaption for Helck
https://twitter.com/sho_MangaOne/status/1492876832903163904

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Real disappointed they didn't go for incredibly long ears Anne and small face Helck

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As much as I don't care about Shenmue I'm gonna have to ask people temper themselves on posting spoilers for this 20+ year old game series. Not that anyone's done it as far as I have seen, but be mindful.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did Ryo find the sailors yet

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakurazuka posted:

Did Ryo find the sailors yet

Yes

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Captain Baal posted:

As much as I don't care about Shenmue I'm gonna have to ask people temper themselves on posting spoilers for this 20+ year old game series. Not that anyone's done it as far as I have seen, but be mindful.

I'm not sure Shenmue really even has anything to spoil. The plot moves so slowly that there isn't really anything that can be spoiled.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't personally care about it, but someone reported one of the Shenmue posts for it and I thought I'd just mention it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That person is a coward who should just play the 20 year old games

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I played the first one for 40 minutes and hated it so I can't say I agree

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

no one should have to play shenmue if they aren't being paid for it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how can you spoil a story where nothing happens?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, sorry. nothing loving happens in shenmue.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, sorry. nothing loving happens in shenmue.
:yeah:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Exia posted:

Also announced was an anime adaption for Helck
https://twitter.com/sho_MangaOne/status/1492876832903163904
I like this trend of mining old adtrw darlings for anime content

Now, please be actually good, I predict some 3dcg montrosities in our future from a heck adaptation tho

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Some people are jsut too brain poisoned when they work for lovely companies.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why is there a Shenmue Anime. That sounds like the most boring story I could think to adapt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why is there a Shenmue Anime. That sounds like the most boring story I could think to adapt.
because its a marketing exercise, not an attempt to tell a compelling story.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Because Shenmue III set literal world records in crowdfunding.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Because Shenmue was a hugely influential game that people have fond memories of, despite its flaws. That both means people who want to make it, and people who want to watch it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
People are so hostile towards Shenmue and its mundanity...personally, I liked it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well when it's limping along as an anime because of this:

Endorph posted:

because its a marketing exercise, not an attempt to tell a compelling story.

it's only natural there's some hostility. as something pushed by CR/AS it also gets to sit in that nicely developing niche of western commercialization pushes in anime.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't really understand the claim that it's "limping along," it's aired two episodes and both of them were decent. I really don't care about Shenmue as a property outside of weird memes and the show is fine so far.

Also the medium of Japanimation is full of marketing exercises, this isn't a particularly egregious example. It's not even promoting anything relevant.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

Some people are jsut too brain poisoned when they work for lovely companies.

Well, they ARE supposed to be an evil organization. They're probably founded by Jeff Bezos.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I don't really like the games at all but I've been having a good time with the anime. Ryo actually has a personality and is a character, who would have thought?

E: Also yeah, Shenmue 3 came out like two years ago and there's no sign of a Shenmue 4, so this is really less of an active marketing ploy than almost any manga or light novel adaptation

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Arist posted:

I don't really understand the claim that it's "limping along," it's aired two episodes and both of them were decent. I really don't care about Shenmue as a property outside of weird memes and the show is fine so far.

Also the medium of Japanimation is full of marketing exercises, this isn't a particularly egregious example. It's not even promoting anything relevant.

i'm not married to the word choice, but it's a franchise where the long-awaited sequel landed weakly and they didn't confirm a follow up. like it took a beating there and the anime is just kind of a weird thing to have crop up. it feels like the growing thing of Western companies taking some IP they believe can be pumped and spinning it into anime for that growing market. CR/AS have previously done this with Blade Runner, Netflix did Altered Carbon and Bright while inflating Super Crooks' episode count, and Amazon is doing the same with their LotR push. not having an accompanying product to push isn't really the point, the brand is the brand and the content boosts the platform(s) commissioning it. idk how weird of a pull Shenmue is from that angle, but i won't pretend CR is smart in their selections (see their past originals lineup).

don't really care about the Japanese examples, obviously i dislike the Kadokawa 40 or ongoing isekai boom in the same vein. this is just part of a slightly more recent and annoying trend.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I don't really like the games at all but I've been having a good time with the anime. Ryo actually has a personality and is a character, who would have thought?

It's not really Ryo then, right? If you do the opposite of the source material, I don't know why you'd call it the same. Other than as a cash grab, of course.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would argue if an adaptation builds upon a character and makes them more likeable than their original counterpart that's an example of really good adaptation. Not that I'm saying shenmue is incredible, but saying "It's not really him then" when adaptation always puts its own spin on something is kind of the point of adaptation. You are supposed to suit the character for what you're doing with said work and putting them to different mediums.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Doodles posted:

Well, they ARE supposed to be an evil organization. They're probably founded by Jeff Bezos.

The character is talking to someone in a different, smaller, evil org that lets gives people a half day on the last friday every month and is ethically run (for a Japanese company) as opposed to one that has people doing overtime punch out at their normal hours so as not to actually have it on the books and require people to leave through a hidden exit so as not to embarrass the company

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

#notmyryo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i feel like it is a bit goofy to argue the shenmue anime is fixing the problem of the game by not focusing on all the wandering around cause like. shenmue's not an amazing game but the wandering around is like, the gameplay. half of shenmue's gameplay is wandery like that by design, which i can get not really being huge on cause the games are pretty subjective in how you'll enjoy them in a lot of ways just. doing a more focused animated version is just kinda doing it different, it's not something like tales of zestiria where the anime literally is a rewrite of the game from the ground up just because the game didn't make sense

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Baal posted:

I would argue if an adaptation builds upon a character and makes them more likeable than their original counterpart that's an example of really good adaptation. Not that I'm saying shenmue is incredible, but saying "It's not really him then" when adaptation always puts its own spin on something is kind of the point of adaptation. You are supposed to suit the character for what you're doing with said work and putting them to different mediums.

You saw this with Persona 4 the animation, where the anime adaptation decided to make the player character really snarky and goofy, and everyone loved the anime version of him more than the boring stoic character you often see them depicted as.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I did not like the P4 animation protagonist

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Doodles posted:

I only watched like half of the first episode, but didn’t the boss have a chat with the evil monster developers telling them they need to use their vacation days and to not overwork themselves?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

You saw this with Persona 4 the animation, where the anime adaptation decided to make the player character really snarky and goofy, and everyone loved the anime version of him more than the boring stoic character you often see them depicted as.

You see this in the Devil survivor 2 anime where they did the opposite

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nitrousoxide posted:

I only watched like half of the first episode, but didn’t the boss have a chat with the evil monster developers telling them they need to use their vacation days and to not overwork themselves?

Even funnier that wasn't the Rita Repulsa big boss equivalent of this evil monster organsiation, that was the Goldar-equivalent second in command

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Even funnier that wasn't the Rita Repulsa big boss equivalent of this evil monster organsiation, that was the Goldar-equivalent second in command

The boss doesn't give a gently caress. She's powerful but she lets the managers do the managing and they do it well enough. Even if the org char is poo poo.