Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Sanford posted:

I first read Mort in 1988, at the age of seven. I am currently sitting beneath a shelf bearing a full collection of hardback Pratchett originals, some of them sought out at great expense and effort. I have read all the books at least three times, and some up to a dozen.

Today is the first time I got the justice/just us wordplay.

Oh my god it only took me a couple decades, multiple rereads and a post explicitly explaining it :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

quote:

“He’s been murdered. Where were you when he was killed?”
IN THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE.
“How do you know?”
Dorfl hesitated a moment. Then the next words were written very slowly, as if they had come from a long way away after a great deal of thought.
BECAUSE IT IS SOMETHING THAT MUST HAVE HAPPENED NOT LONG AGO, BECAUSE YOU ARE EXCITED. FOR THE LAST THREE DAYS I HAVE BEEN WORKING HERE.
“All the time?”
YES.
“Twenty-four hours a day?”
YES. MEN AND TROLLS HERE ON EVERY SHIFT, THEY WILL TELL YOU. DURING THE DAY I MUST SLAUGHTER, DRESS, QUARTER, JOINT AND BONE, AND AT NIGHT WITHOUT REST I MUST MAKE SAUSAGES AND BOIL UP THE LIVERS, HEARTS, TRIPES, KIDNEYS AND CHITTERLING.
“That’s awful,” said Cheery.
The pencil blurred briefly.
CLOSE.”

Ffs

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

In other somewhat related news:

https://twitter.com/bootstrapcook/status/1484605738781655040?s=21

Jack Monroe rose to prominence as a campaigner and blogger on food poverty, and in a shocking indictment of how hosed things are, they’re still campaigning on it.

The VBPI has the endorsement of Rhianna, and is going to work to try and more accurately model inflation and price elasticity in essential foodstuffs, as inflation drives basics prices through the roof.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Well, gently caress me sideways.

25 years and I never realised that was a play on "offal".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chloe Jessica posted:

what's yalls favorite Pratchett pun ever and why is it "felonious monk"

Not a funny pun(e), but still a play on words

Lords And Ladies posted:

[...] the Queen attacked again, exploding into her uncertainty like a nova.

She was nothing. She was insignificant. She was so worthless and unimportant that even something completely worthless and exhaustively unimportant would consider her beneath contempt. In laying hands upon the Queen she truly deserved an eternity of pain. She had no control of her body. She did not deserve any. She did not deserve a thing.

The disdain sleeted over her, tearing the planetary body of Magrat Garlick to pieces.

She'd never be any good. She'd never be beautiful, or intelligent, or strong. She'd never be anything at all. Self-confidence? Confidence in what?

The eyes of the Queen were all she could see. All she wanted to do was lose herself in them, and the ablation of Magrat Garlick roared on, tearing at the strata of her soul... exposing the core.

She bunched up a fist and hit the Queen between the eyes.

They live on a disc. Why the planet metaphor all of a sudden?

The core of a planet is made from solid, white-hot, iron.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Phy posted:

They live on a disc. Why the planet metaphor all of a sudden?

Ah gently caress, now it's my turn to say I never caught that one. Goddamn, Pratchett was too loving clever.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
My favorite Pratchett pun? "Ars Enixa Est Candelam."

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sometimes you don't get a pun until you're staring at it and trying to figure it out.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I got Djelibeybi right away, but it took me twenty years to get Hersheba.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Gambrinus posted:

...OH.

Okay, got it now, thank you!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Phy posted:

Now that's deep !

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I also love every time Magrat is compared to something small and squeaky and fuzzy but when the chips are down that little critter is a mongoose

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
christ those three puns in a row that i never got until now

i love discworld, man

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Inspired of course by my recent Wordle failure: a top tier pun to which he draws no attention is when the Watch's witness to an attempted assassination is a grassy gnoll.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/1486277179424096258

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Had to sound that one out with the clue in hand. Some of these puns are bit unfair to non native speakers.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jables88 posted:

Inspired of course by my recent Wordle failure: a top tier pun to which he draws no attention is when the Watch's witness to an attempted assassination is a grassy gnoll.

goddammit, alzheimer's hitting pterry seems particularly cruel after reading all of these puns i never noticed

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In other news, it looks like you can finally buy the new Hogfather audiobook in the USA.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
...and apparently there's also a full-cast audiobook of Good Omens now read by the entire TV show cast?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rand Brittain posted:

...and apparently there's also a full-cast audiobook of Good Omens now read by the entire TV show cast?

It’s got Sheen and Tennant, but everyone else is different.

quote:

the new audiobook will feature Rebecca Front as the book’s narrator, and will see the return of Tennant and Sheen as their characters. Other cast members include Katherine Kingsley (Anathema Device), Arthur Darvill (Newton Pulsifer), Peter Forbes (Shadwell), Gabrielle Glaister (Madame Tracy and Agnes Nutter), Louis Davison (Adam), Pixie Davis (Pepper), Chris Nelson (Wensleydale), Ferdinand Frisby Williams (Brian), and Adjoa Andoh, Allan Corduner, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, Josh Hopkins, Lorelei King, Matt Reeves, and Lemn Sissay as various other voices. Neil Gaiman will also make an appearance, as himself. Katherine Kingsley (Anathema Device), Arthur Darvill (Newton Pulsifer), Peter Forbes (Shadwell), Gabrielle Glaister (Madame Tracy and Agnes Nutter), Louis Davison (Adam), Pixie Davis (Pepper), Chris Nelson (Wensleydale), Ferdinand Frisby Williams (Brian), and Adjoa Andoh, Allan Corduner, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, Josh Hopkins, Lorelei King, Matt Reeves, and Lemn Sissay as various other voices. Neil Gaiman will also make an appearance, as himself.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 27, 2022

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

There's a BBC radio drama of Good Omens from 2014 that's really good too.
The vinyl comes with some extra info from Neil Gaiman explaining how Terry really wanted to be in it but by that point his alzheimer's meant he counld read the script so he had to have someone read his lines for him and then they recorded him repeating them back (you can't tell this is the case in the final product)

Reminds me a bit of how Douglas Adams really wanted to be in Life, The Universe and Everything but died before it was made so Dirk Maggs (who also directed the Good Omens adaptation) took Agrajag's lines from the audio book version read by Douglas Adams and worked it into the radio version.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chloe Jessica posted:

what's yalls favorite Pratchett pun ever and why is it "felonious monk"

The Selachi and Venturi families of Ankh as old rival families.

The Sharks and the Jets... it's a couple of steps for each one

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gambrinus posted:

My dad would take a Pratchett book with him on every business trip, and when he came home tell us a new pun or reference he'd spotted. They're so full of them I never get tired of re-reading.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm looking for the particular quote that involves two big nations deciding to have a war/battle/conflict/fight and them explaining to a smaller neighbour that it had to actually take place in the smaller country. This is very convincing to the person from the smaller country but it gets harder and harder to remember the argument by the time to get home.

Or something along those lines anyway. At this point I have a full text search of all of the Discworld novels so if people want to suggest more relevant keywords that'll work too. I've looked through all the usual suspect quote sites. Can anybody remember what I'm thinking of or what book it might be from? I would have said Jingo, Fifth Elephant, or Monstrous Regiment but I can't help but suspect that it's just a wildcard anecdote in a completely unrelated one instead.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 11, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

gonadic io posted:

I'm looking for the particular quote that involves two big nations deciding to have a war/battle/conflict/fight and them explaining to a smaller neighbour that the it had to actually take place in the smaller country. This is very convincing to the person from the smaller country but it gets harder and harder to remember the argument by the time to get home.

Or something along those lines anyway. At this point I have a full text search of all of the Discworld novels so if people want to suggest more relevant keywords that'll work too. I've looked through all the usual suspect quote sites. Can anybody remember what I'm thinking of or what book it might be from? I would have said Jingo, Fifth Elephant, or Monstrous Regiment but I can't help but suspect that it's just a wildcard anecdote in a completely unrelated one instead.

I have very recently read Jingo, and I don't recall it being in there, and I finished a reread of Fifth Elephant last night and I don't recall it there either.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

gonadic io posted:

I'm looking for the particular quote that involves two big nations deciding to have a war/battle/conflict/fight and them explaining to a smaller neighbour that the it had to actually take place in the smaller country. This is very convincing to the person from the smaller country but it gets harder and harder to remember the argument by the time to get home.

I think that was from one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The_Other posted:

I think that was from one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books.

If this is true I'm going to be so mad at my brain but I'll look there, thanks for the suggestion.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
God dammit, hitchhiker book 3.

It's actually much longer than I remembered so I put it in a pastebin: https://pastebin.com/raw/iiBh5Rpc

Thanks for the help.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bruceski posted:

jesus christ

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Bruceski posted:

oh my god

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

^ One of the thing you can learn from the annotated Pratchett file. Which is why I'm still bitter it was abandoned, even decades later.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

^ One of the thing you can learn from the annotated Pratchett file. Which is why I'm still bitter it was abandoned, even decades later.

GNUoon Project

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
See, he does all this incredible three layers poo poo, and then he also goes ahead and repeats the 'beautiful like a forest fire' or 'they got on like a house on fire' joke in 3 books in a row.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’m going to go ahead and reply to the Pratchett argument I missed in the Schadenfreude thread. In Monstrous Regiment, I though Vlad was meant to be trans (he’s a man, not pretending to be a man) as in transgender but also Transylvania. Because he’s a vampire. It’s a few years since I read it - am I making up my own content?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sanford posted:

I’m going to go ahead and reply to the Pratchett argument I missed in the Schadenfreude thread. In Monstrous Regiment, I though Vlad was meant to be trans (he’s a man, not pretending to be a man) as in transgender but also Transylvania. Because he’s a vampire. It’s a few years since I read it - am I making up my own content?

I think you are but also I'm pretty sure Terry would get a kick out of that so it's canon now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And speaking of digging up mouldering arguments about Terry Pratchett, I'm half way through The Truth right now. What's amazing to me is how the watch looks entirely different from the outside in. Not so much "copaganda," especially when read back-to-back with The Fifth Elephant.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I preferred Going Postal for this viewpoint

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

gonadic io posted:

I preferred Going Postal for this viewpoint

Haven't read it yet but now I look forward to it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
He said that the whole reason he started it was to come up with a character that would have the least possible interactions with the Watch in order to avoid it ultimately becoming a Watch story (but still set in AM). Even the Wizards ended up on good terms with Vimes.

E: but yes, it's very good. Probably my 2nd favourite of his books tbh. The show is okay too.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

CommonShore posted:

And speaking of digging up mouldering arguments about Terry Pratchett, I'm half way through The Truth right now. What's amazing to me is how the watch looks entirely different from the outside in. Not so much "copaganda," especially when read back-to-back with The Fifth Elephant.

And remembering that The Truth came out after The Fifth Elephant. makes the "She's your..." "Friend." exchange between Vimes, Carrot, and Angua hit different. They're on a bit of a break post Fifth Elephant., I think, even if Pterry never spells it out.