Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Julias posted:

You saw this with Persona 4 the animation, where the anime adaptation decided to make the player character really snarky and goofy, and everyone loved the anime version of him more than the boring stoic character you often see them depicted as.

I'll admit it's been a very long time since I've thought about the Persona 4 anime, but my recollection was that the fun thing they did with the protagonist was that he was still the super stoic character, they just threw him into all sorts of zany antics and his poker face became the joke. My recollection is also that every single time that anime got to screw around with the cast and characters and setting it was at its best, and it was at its most tired when it was just reenacting sequences straight from the game.

As for Shenmue, with some hindsight I think my last post was a little bit more dismissive than it should have been. I think I came across as being a little bit dismissive towards the fans of the game, but my point remains that it is getting an anime because it does demonstrably have a proven fanbase of people who are committed to it. Putting aside how good the games are or are not, the wildfire success of the kickstarter show that even a decade and a half later people still have a lot of passion for the game. Back when they announced they were going to make an anime out of it my position was and still is that it's probably the best remaining choice left for the developers if they want to reach whatever conclusion the story was heading towards. Yeah, it's not going to get across the feeling and texture and style of the game in the gameplay, but thank goodness they're still making Yakuza games, eh?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but after Shenmue 3 there isn't going to be a Shenmue 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thank god, Yakuza's got the same vibe and is better.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Captain Baal posted:

The lordeth speaks the truth!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think shenmue and yakuza are as comparable as they seem because for one, yakuza is designed like a video game

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Shenmue has always been about the immersive experience where you can blow all your allowance on capsule toys and waste a day playing Space Harrier instead of asking everyone in earshot where you can find some sailors.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Captain Baal posted:

I would argue if an adaptation builds upon a character and makes them more likeable than their original counterpart that's an example of really good adaptation. Not that I'm saying shenmue is incredible, but saying "It's not really him then" when adaptation always puts its own spin on something is kind of the point of adaptation. You are supposed to suit the character for what you're doing with said work and putting them to different mediums.

Also, the wooden, awkward Ryo we know in the west is really a product of the game's subpar localization and voice acting, so the anime's dub could be argued as getting the creator's intent for the character across better than the actual game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also if you're looking for modern successors to Shenmue, it's less Yakuza and more Deadly Premonition

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

I only watched like half of the first episode, but didn’t the boss have a chat with the evil monster developers telling them they need to use their vacation days and to not overwork themselves?

The character in that screenshot is from a rival evil organisation that actually is a black company.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Catching up on vanitas. It’s pretty good? But boy some of the scene pacing and editing is rushed as gently caress. At least one spot in a episode with cut error in it and quite a few inconsistencies between shots in certain scenes.

Still enjoying it though its pretty wild and characters keep just appearing out of thin air to save the day

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I'm not a fan of the comedy in Vanitas but it can be pretty good at the action/drama side of things when it wants to be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Baal posted:

They don't have the same vibe at all. Yakuza games have more fights in the first hour than in all the Shenmue games. Well 1&2, at least, since 3 makes you do a bunch of awful fights lol

I believe in Shenmue 4....

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Back when they announced they were going to make an anime out of it my position was and still is that it's probably the best remaining choice left for the developers if they want to reach whatever conclusion the story was heading towards.

If that's the plan I hope they're hoping for multiple seasons because they're not going to make it past Shenmue 2 at the rate they're going. Especially if they keep cutting away to Shenhua to have her repeat the "Coming across the sea, from a distant land, he shall appear" prophecy twice an episode.

"Do you know anybody who knows Chinese?"

To be fair this was just a few seconds of silent animation over each guy, but still, they're doing the thing

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Bakeneko posted:

I'm not a fan of the comedy in Vanitas but it can be pretty good at the action/drama side of things when it wants to be.

It’s hit or miss for me, I like some of the super deformed? I don’t know the term for it I guess comedy bits can be funny, the art in general is great and sometimes the comedy lands but it does the thing so many other shows do and injects these ridiculous and sometimes tedious bits in the middle of dramatic tension moments and it’s honestly baffling that it’s such a popular technique.

It’s like they think (or maybe know, poo poo idk) that a viewer couldn’t possibly stand another moment of dramatic suspense or tension or they’ll lose their loving minds and stop reading/watching unless someone makes a dumb goof right in the middle of it

/rant

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i dont think shenmue and yakuza are as comparable as they seem because for one, yakuza is designed like a video game

Actually, that might be a good description of the similarities and differences. Yakuza is like if you made Shenmue an actual videogame.

It's got the same wandering around, the same assortment of arcade games (some of the exact same ones in 0 and Shenmue 1, in fact), a comically deadpan protagonist, and a reasonably in-depth combat system. The difference is that Yakuza goes full videogame on top of that. You get XP, clear side quests, a plot with actual progression, frequent fights, and the ability to duck out of most of the dull stuff. In other words, the most infamously Shenmue parts of Shenmue are gone, even if there's common ground.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tabletops posted:

It’s hit or miss for me, I like some of the super deformed? I don’t know the term for it I guess comedy bits can be funny, the art in general is great and sometimes the comedy lands but it does the thing so many other shows do and injects these ridiculous and sometimes tedious bits in the middle of dramatic tension moments and it’s honestly baffling that it’s such a popular technique.

It’s like they think (or maybe know, poo poo idk) that a viewer couldn’t possibly stand another moment of dramatic suspense or tension or they’ll lose their loving minds and stop reading/watching unless someone makes a dumb goof right in the middle of it

/rant

chibi?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think it works better for Vanitas than for other shows that do it because (a) it's such a cheerfully campy, indulgent show that the overwrought drama is just part of the fun, and (b) it feels appropriate to the protagonists being absolutely ridiculous people who can't manage consistent gravitas to save their lives, and who can make even the most serious situations sillier by their very presence. They're a himbo and a gremlin who have a reality-distortion field on par with Monkey D. Luffy himself.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Polsy posted:

If that's the plan I hope they're hoping for multiple seasons because they're not going to make it past Shenmue 2 at the rate they're going. Especially if they keep cutting away to Shenhua to have her repeat the "Coming across the sea, from a distant land, he shall appear" prophecy twice an episode.

At the same time, hoping for another season of the anime is still a more feasible path toward a conclusion then assuming Shenmue is going to get the two or three more games necessary to limp across the finish line. Like, people who I actually know who like Shenmue so far seem quite happy with the anime and if it continues to be a success maybe it will even get another cour or two.

On one hand, I don't have any skin in the game, I have never had any interest at all ever in Shenmue. On the other hand, I have been a fan of things that petered off or never got resolved or just died out long before they should have, and from that perspective I really do wish fans of this property the best.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I gotta say, I respect the developers of Shenmue 3. It was exactly the same as the previous games. It's like they deliberately shut themselves away all the time since the last game to never gaze at a video game in fear of having any inspiration other than that. It takes a certain skill to do that. Like a musician who manages to keeps producing the same drivel, but has no influence by any other song ever and manages to play notes in a construction nobody else does.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They are very specifically only doing the first two games this season, since there are no characters from 3 in the promo art, OP, or cast list, and the cold open of episode 1 is a flash forward to the end of 2.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

They don't have the same vibe at all. Yakuza games have more fights in the first hour than in all the Shenmue games. Well 1&2, at least, since 3 makes you do a bunch of awful fights lol

I believe in Shenmue 4....

they have the same vibe because they are games where you play as a man in a realistic depiction of Japan where there's all kinds of horseshit to do around the city and both have SEGA on them and there is fighting

They are not the same in the mood, themes, and tones they are entirely different but I'm being very reductive in this comparison because I want to bring up Yakuza and say it owns.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hope they keep letting the guy make shenmue games

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it works better for Vanitas than for other shows that do it because (a) it's such a cheerfully campy, indulgent show that the overwrought drama is just part of the fun, and (b) it feels appropriate to the protagonists being absolutely ridiculous people who can't manage consistent gravitas to save their lives, and who can make even the most serious situations sillier by their very presence. They're a himbo and a gremlin who have a reality-distortion field on par with Monkey D. Luffy himself.

i wouldn't disagree with you that it fits better with vanitas. I ended up kinda just railing on the uhh technique? trope? I don't know what to call it. I'm sure japan's tvtropes.com if that exists has a name for it. It's just gotten a bit long in the tooth for me, sometimes I just wanna enjoy the drama without a rude interruption

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hirano is quite bad at them, at least judging from Drifters

agree that i have not really minded them in Vanitas specifically since Vanitas and Noe are both the sort of disarming idiots who are always bringing one thing or another to a screeching halt. my issue with this season is more it's just spinning a lot of plates that don't involve Vanitas/Noe and you end up with a lot of scattered bits that don't mesh elegantly. a very apparent example in the most recent eps was them setting Astolfo up for a rematch that is immediately dropped lol. but i haven't had much issue getting into the Chloe storyline so it hasn't impacted the meat of things.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Yeah I’d agree my main issue with this season is the pacing, even just the scene to scene stuff not necessarily the overarching pacing since I don’t know the source material.

Anyway still enjoying it, I think my biggest complaint is that the ending isn’t nearly as good as the last cours.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Really enjoying Bisque Doll so far, it's pervy but quite wholesome.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Remembered that Yamato 2205 was a thing. Anyone else care at all?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I’ve only heard bad things about the sequel series from my Yamato superfan friend dav so I’ve not touched them

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The redemption arc in 2202 for the guy who was Actually, Literally Space Hitler in 2199 didn't exactly land so well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dessler redeemed himself in the original too, its hardly the main problem with 2202 (and yamato as a whole is a series about redemption anyway)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1493574314326511619?t=67vhHxGlkH1TqUdtRmqyGA&s=19

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

dessler redeemed himself in the original too, its hardly the main problem with 2202 (and yamato as a whole is a series about redemption anyway)

Again, though, 2199 really pushed the Hitler comparisons. He had a secret police chief named Heydom Gimleh, for Christ's sake.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first season (movies?) for Yamato did a really good job developing the characters, and of making the ship feel like a place that people lived and worked in. The second season basically completely dropped that for a war plot that I didn't find very interesting.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

liking this atmosphere

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's definitely 2199's fault (and the general path of reimagining the original series/sequels while still following its general direction) that Dessler was all Hitlerish and poo poo. There's ways of depicting dictators and poo poo without going full Hitler and they went pretty Hitler with him. This is fine if Yamato 2199 is a one-off and they just wanted quick and easy characterization that the bad guy is a bad guy. I don't know if they knew they would be making more Yamato later but big lol if they knew and still did that.

The first series' mechanical details were superb and 2202 playing around too loosely and messily with stuff felt really dumb. I think the war stuff in 2202 ultimately paid off narratively but it wasn't executed nearly as well as it could. It didn't help that all the smaller background details (like the mechanics for one) were basically ignored so they could put more ship models on screen for big fleet shots! This leads to some really epic!!! (in scale only) boring fleet battles because there's nothing interesting going on. This is further hurt by the weird mechanical details (deja vu) like the new gatlantean ship varying in size between its first appearance and later, and the writers having no sense of scale by having millions of them in formation so they can combine their power and fry themselves to shoot the sun. Someone thought they were being clever and impressive but adding too many 0s to inflate numbers just makes the whole thing look idiotic. I ultimately enjoyed 2202 but oh boy it is not worthy of a rewatch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

marumaru posted:

liking this atmosphere

It's a very different mood and story from the author's previous work, Dagashi Kashi, but it's still very good.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Watching sabikui bisco and it is fantastically weird and I’m loving it

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

marumaru posted:

liking this atmosphere
Do your legs get all hosed up when you become a vampire?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

http://vengeance-scar.jp/

Curious to see if this ends up being anything significant. A darker take on the story centered on Scar might be good (and hopefully full of hot poo poo action, considering all he does is kill State Alchemists prior to his "Maybe I could be doing something more productive" moment) or maybe a movie where he has to go John Wick after even more bullshit happens to the surviving Ishvalans.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
a darker take than the mass genocide that already happens in the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Is this not just a sequel to the live action movie?