Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
PracGuide interludes have been on point lately (better than the mains)

Also RIP to Witch and all the others dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prac guide: big rip to everyone but especially the witch who was a badass until the end

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
And now for something entirely different: the characters from TUTBAD advertising the first book of Worth the Candle - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MIplgncTMMw7mYmbJHScvkPOI2WlPSb2CEy2jDDv3kc/edit

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's barely even worth mentioning anymore. You could tell me pirateaba wrote any number of words in half a week and I'd believe you. What's that, an entire three volume series written in 4 days? Yeah, sure, sounds like pirateaba.

Pirate finished writing this Tuesday's TWI chapter in 2 days and it clocks in at 30k words. My hands really hurt thinking about that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Virtuous Sons Patreon: I was fully expecting Selene to stowaway, but I'll I admit for a second there I was starting to worry we'd exchanged the entire supporting cast for loving Scythas.

Maybe Anastasia will show up next :toot:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tithin posted:

Prac guide: big rip to everyone but especially the witch who was a badass until the end

F. I hope all the minor Named I care about live.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cicero posted:

And now for something entirely different: the characters from TUTBAD advertising the first book of Worth the Candle - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MIplgncTMMw7mYmbJHScvkPOI2WlPSb2CEy2jDDv3kc/edit

This was mildly amusing.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

asur posted:

Her being traumatized is a cop out. She lives in a brutal society and her entire life's path is based on accidentally killing someone and then vowing that it won't happen again. That's barely a step away from allowing an entire city of innocent people to die. It's not against her oath, but it sure seems out of character.

There's also next to no acknowledgement of her leaving everyone to die. It's not like she really debates it, she just runs away. She runs away because she's tired after going a murder streak, meets up with the elves who specifically ask her to stay and try to save the hosts because they can only kill everyone which they're going to do, and then she says no without a second thought and leaves. It's a pretty stunning back track for a character who is constantly diving into situations to heal people.

The slaves in Remus aren't even remotely comparable on a scale of suffering and she's from Earth. I seem to remember her outright rejecting slavery while acknowledging that she doesn't have the power to change Remus. That isn't true here, she has the power to change the life of every host in that city and free them.

Maybe I'm over emphazing the Earth viewpoint, but I really can't see anyone from what appears to be a western country accepting shimagu slavery as remotely acceptable and I think most people would view it as worse than death as it appears that they never let you go.

Just to be clear, I actually thought the storyline was interesting up until the part that she bails. The shimagu potentially not being evil was an interesting twist as it applied it her Oath and she evolves her beliefs and Oath based on what she find, though shimagu being entirely evil is a bit of a downer.

The last driving part you're missing is Elaine's a Sentinel, after having spent years as a Ranger. They're the ones that STOP people doing this sort of thing. She actively fought against Hesoid in the plague arc, who was busy killing off an entire city.

And that's exactly what Elaine was doing. Wholesale slaughter of civilians, nevermind that they're evil body snatchers. (I should've added in a few "kid shimagu" to drive the point home... she's not killing the warriors, and the worst of the slavers, she's killing off every single shimgu in a city, and a quarter of the elvenoid population is dying in the chaos/elves/high level shimagu fighting crossfire)

I tried to make it clear that she was of two mindsets - There's the "Sentinel Dawn", who insists on going back into the city, and finishing the job, like you say. Then there's "Healer Elaine", who holds life to be sacred.

I was slowly building the dissonance between the two mindsets, only for Elaine to get utterly trapped between them. She's damned if she does, and damned if she doesn't.

And... she runs away. She finds a way to somewhat, awkwardly, reconcile the two mindsets, by GTFOing, and reporting it all back.

But yes - a few people have mentioned that it's a little out of character for her, and I'll grant you it's a bit weird.

But I posit that any choice made is out of character, given the options. I try to make my stories "real" in a sense, and finding herself in a situation with no good answers or choices is life IMO.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Kickstarter up for Mother of Learning Arc 1 physical edition: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wraithmarked/motheroflearningarc1

One of the tiers is for a bust of Quatach-Ichl, going for a mere thousand dollars.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cicero posted:

Kickstarter up for Mother of Learning Arc 1 physical edition: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wraithmarked/motheroflearningarc1

One of the tiers is for a bust of Quatach-Ichl, going for a mere thousand dollars.

4 people have already signed up at that tier. I was going to say any art of him is doomed to fall short of the menacing image conjured in my imagination, but, whelp.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

For some reason I imagine him to look exactly like Xykon from oots

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Xun posted:

For some reason I imagine him to look exactly like Xykon from oots

That's my brain canon

(But that was a sweet mini)

Affi fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 16, 2022

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

Oh hey, I placed pretty highly here! I'd probably feel better about it if it weren't for HPMOR at number 2 though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He put loving Sylver Seeker and Full Murderhobo on the same level as Ar'kendrythist so I'm sorry but the reddit guy must be put in jail.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ranking PracGuide below Worm is very strange. I consider PracGuide to basically be the pinnacle of "normal" web serials.

Speaking of Cradle (which was also in that list for some reason despite being actual books), I just finished the most recent one. I actually really liked the Eithan plot twist, though it's not clear to me how the veil thing works. Does it just perfectly disguise him as another person or something? Did Tiberian (the previous Arelius Monarch) know who he was? Was he actually reborn a child?

In general, I like Eithan a lot and feel like he helped to give the series a different feel from other similar stories. Also, I like the Kelsa and Jai Long pairing; Kelsa is cool. Saddest moment in the entire story is still Akura Grace dying from Wintersteel.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

PoorWeather posted:

Oh hey, I placed pretty highly here! I'd probably feel better about it if it weren't for HPMOR at number 2 though.

HPMOR is the the best piece of fiction ever written, FYI.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New TWI Patreon good

Finally started reading mother of learning, also good.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
twi public: big fan of new kevin and the shellys, and also 🐀🐁

anyway, back to reading the chapter. i hope everyone is ok.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Starting to get a bit concerned with the direction the Antinium plot is going in TWI, feels like bad times ahead.

Inventing hell and then subsequently making it real? Boy, the dead-ish gods must be going crazy about the concept right now.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Rage of Dragons is also a real book and not ever a web serial afaik. I guess it's on that list because it's a weak protagonist exploiting a loophole to become super strong.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Starting to get a bit concerned with the direction the Antinium plot is going in TWI, feels like bad times ahead.

Inventing hell and then subsequently making it real? Boy, the dead-ish gods must be going crazy about the concept right now.

I think it's likely that this actually solves the current dead god problem. The Antinium have huge numbers and belief which should mean whatever god they dream up is drastically more powerful than the other gods.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
reading an already finished story The Fifth Defiance which is about a post-apocalyptic earth in which the world was torn apart by the discovery of superheros, specifically because the strongest superhero alive, Prevailer, happens to be an insane psychopath who only values violence.

the premise for Haunter's powerset is super interesting, give it a try!

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

asur posted:

I think it's likely that this actually solves the current dead god problem. The Antinium have huge numbers and belief which should mean whatever god they dream up is drastically more powerful than the other gods.

Erin Solstice.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A big flaming stink posted:

reading an already finished story The Fifth Defiance which is about a post-apocalyptic earth in which the world was torn apart by the discovery of superheros, specifically because the strongest superhero alive, Prevailer, happens to be an insane psychopath who only values violence.

the premise for Haunter's powerset is super interesting, give it a try!

I ended up not finishing this one but it's loving nuts. Even the concept behind why super powers exist is wacky, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Binged mother of learning over the last few days, a+

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
TUTBAD: lmao at the last authors note.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Alf getting catty is kind of adorable

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dikkfor posted:

TUTBAD: lmao at the last authors note.

Lmfao

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

There was no way to avoid it any longer--he'd have to discuss the hogs oats.

(Except this author has the self-awareness to not put the rant in the main story)

mossyfisk posted:

It really is. And I can't even fault him for it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I ended up not finishing this one but it's loving nuts. Even the concept behind why super powers exist is wacky, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

holy gently caress i didnt know the half of it. Did you get far enough to find out (Condemner 6:1) Ultra gifts become awakened entities unto themselves?

how many layers of wilding is this story under???

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A big flaming stink posted:

holy gently caress i didnt know the half of it. Did you get far enough to find out (Condemner 6:1) Ultra gifts become awakened entities unto themselves?

how many layers of wilding is this story under???

I read a couple thousand pages. The whole idea that consciousness can't exist at all in our universe, and arises because of extra dimensional entities 'living' in the energy pattern created by the structure of a brain. this is conclusively proven by the android who is totally mechanical and just emulates a human shape but still has a consciousness because it looks the same to the entities.

And people said Worm was kind of cosmic horror-y. They don't know poo poo lol. The Fifth Defiance is legitimately so depressing I couldn't finish it. The whole reason the apocalypse happened is nuts, too- I don't remember how far that side story is, but Jesus.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
5th Defiance Condemner 7:2: holy poo poo the loving grabbies

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

tithin posted:

Binged mother of learning over the last few days, a+

It really is. Do you have a favorite part? Zach trying to show off how awesome he is were pretty entertaining I thought.

mossyfisk posted:

Alfric probably doesn't even think of it as being catty. He's just giving an accurate assessment based on past behavior. Lol.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I enjoy that even Alfric's parents think they probably went a bit overboard with him when he was growing up

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LLSix posted:

Alfric probably doesn't even think of it as being catty. He's just giving an accurate assessment based on past behavior. Lol.

That's 100% what it is and part of why it's so funny.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Prac Guide That was expectedly unexpected. Get hosed Yara.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God she really does have to ruin everything doesn't she.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Well, I sort of foresaw what happened in the latest prac guide, I just didn't foresee the declaration that happened. In hindsight, I should have.

LLSix posted:

It really is. Do you have a favorite part? Zach trying to show off how awesome he is were pretty entertaining I thought.

There was a lot about the setting I found fascinating, the eventual identity of red robe was ... interesting? disappointing? both? and makes sense in retrospect considering the activities during the timeloop itself.

I feel that the angels and demons were extremely underdeveloped and unfortunately felt like a deus ex machina in some respects, why would demons - presumably a faction opposing the angels - align themselves with a primordial - presumably a titan analogue as opposed to a very big demon?

On a related note, I feel that Zorian's relationship with his middle brother was woefully underdeveloped, and it feels like something's missing there.

My favourite part was at the end, with the Grey Hunter, but even laying that aside...?

Just seeing Zorian grow through the loops, to the point where he mostly mends his family's relations, probably why the middle brother connection feels underdeveloped to me personally

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The whole last act of the book very extremely obviously feels like the author suddenly realized just how much there was left to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

IMO Zach is a big part of why I was able to enjoy Mother of Learning, since the existence of a character like him was pretty unusual for that sort of story. Also my name is Zach, so I appreciated the existence of a character not only named Zach, but Zach spelled correctly with an h.

My main gripes with the series are related to the latter parts of it, where I feel like Zorian became a bit too "powerful/aloof." I remember liking many of the earlier parts where he learns more about his various acquaintances and stops being an rear end in a top hat, but it felt like this kind of fell by the wayside later as he became more powerful. But overall I still think it was quite good.