Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
And FFVIII finished.

That leaves FFXI, FFXIII, and FFXV as the only mainline titles I have not beaten.

I'm going to tackle FFXIII and it's sequels next. FFXI as a MMO will be hundreds of hours and I'd like a better GPU before restarting FFXV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did you see the special GF scene in Lunatic Pandora

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did you see the special GF scene in Lunatic Pandora

The scene where Seifer cuts Odin in half and then Gilgamesh turns up, apparently straight from FFV, and blows Seifer away?

Yeah I saw that. It was cool. Doubly so since I finished FFV the week before.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's funny to see people still refer to the 3rd Act of DQXI as the post game. It's the True Ending and no amount of misplaced wishful thinking is going to change that.

e: The fact that he looks like Trunks crossed with Android 17 just makes it more hilarious.

garthoneeye posted:

Sketch on the same ripper frogs I believe could cause all sorts of poo poo including bricking your game.

Sketch can break in a bunch of ways, the easiest is to have her try to Sketch and hit her with confuse before the Sketch command goes off.

My copy of FF6 also has a bug where if you hit 40 hours of playtime while in combat the game would corrupt in various ways. The first time it happened it dropped tons of stacks of random items in my inventory, most notably a dozen or so stacks of hundreds of dirks that I sold for millions of gold. Other times it did stuff like replace characters with others (including Kefka/Leo/Bannon) for the rest of the fight.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gaius Marius posted:

Not sure what the Green Cherry was supposed to do though, I threw it at Gogo but he just chilled.

Green Cherries don't do anything not labeled on the tin.

Umaro uses one in his combat script to get buff, but using it on him as a party member doesn't do anything.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I've put a couple of hours into the FFIII pixel remaster and it's not quite hitting for me yet. Hopefully it compels me more to keep going. I couldn't put FFI down and finished it in two sittings.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Green Cherries don't do anything not labeled on the tin.

Umaro uses one in his combat script to get buff, but using it on him as a party member doesn't do anything.

You’d really think for how hard FFVI goes in on the most dubious stuff possible that they’d have implemented that green cherry buff thing as a party member. Like, he already sucks cause he’s a berserker without defense piercing like the FFV one’s got…

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

bi crimes posted:

I've put a couple of hours into the FFIII pixel remaster and it's not quite hitting for me yet. Hopefully it compels me more to keep going. I couldn't put FFI down and finished it in two sittings.

FF3 is narratively boring, for all the flack FF2 gets it at least keeps doing things

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

You’d really think for how hard FFVI goes in on the most dubious stuff possible that they’d have implemented that green cherry buff thing as a party member. Like, he already sucks cause he’s a berserker without defense piercing like the FFV one’s got…

Would anyone use him anyways? By the time you get him you've probably already gotten best every party member back. Why they didn't just let you get him in balance is beyond me. Mog as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You definitely get Mog in the World of Balance, at least. If you didn't why would I have spent so long as a kid walking around the world to get him his water dance because the only place in WoB where you can get that is the waterfall from the Veldt :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Harrow posted:

You definitely get Mog in the World of Balance, at least. If you didn't why would I have spent so long as a kid walking around the world to get him his water dance because the only place in WoB where you can get that is the waterfall from the Veldt :v:

Serpent Trench!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh right it's the Serpent Trench after the waterfall. God it's been a while.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh wait you can, why did I think the mines of Narshe were blocked off

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Eight-Six posted:

FF3 is narratively boring, for all the flack FF2 gets it at least keeps doing things

Yeah, even though these are NES games with pretty shallow stories, there was a hook in FF1 that made me want to see it through and get through some of the sloggier areas. FF3 feels like it has even less there.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't respect Act 3 of DQ11 because it's too long and I didn't like where the story was going

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its p good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Oh wait you can, why did I think the mines of Narshe were blocked off

You don't get him the same way. You have to choose to rescue hin when Lone Wolf takes him hostage

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Who the gently caress is lone wolf

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The gamebook series?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

bi crimes posted:

Which part are you stuck on? The games much simpler than II, and every problem is just a key and lock thing.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

bi crimes posted:

Yeah, even though these are NES games with pretty shallow stories, there was a hook in FF1 that made me want to see it through and get through some of the sloggier areas. FF3 feels like it has even less there.

It's a bit of a one two punch since the game doesn't really deliver on being able to customize your party as much as you'd think, either. It has a boring narrative, last minute antagonists, not especially engaging gameplay, and in PR form the technical achievements aren't there to appreciate either. I really liked 3 when I was younger but I think that was from the novelty of getting to play a fan translated final fantasy game that we never got, but I found myself bouncing off the PR edition quickly

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
FF3 DS was my first experience with the FF series, so I've got a lot of nostalgia for it and its versions of the protagonists.

Though I admit that it's definitely not as good as my rose-colored glasses are telling me.

Also, FFXIV has made me like the antagonists a lot by association as well.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Who the gently caress is lone wolf

Lone wolf is a cameo from FFV. He steals some treasure in Narshe in WoB.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

Oh right it's the Serpent Trench after the waterfall. God it's been a while.

I think you can also het it in the raft area. Not sure cause I always used Trench.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gaius Marius posted:

Would anyone use him anyways? By the time you get him you've probably already gotten best every party member back. Why they didn't just let you get him in balance is beyond me. Mog as well.

:lmao:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I usually try changing things up for the sake of variety, but also Mog is more or less my first WoR party member after the ship cause I needs me my Molulu’s/Moogle Charm and Umaro is basically right after him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
umaro owns actually

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wish I enjoyed DQ11 and didn't find it dreadfully boring. :(

There was some good potential there, but it just never got its hooks in me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I want to go back and finish Act 3 sometime but the barrier for me was the apparent massive difficulty spike, because I am bad at JRPGs. Also when JRPGs come off rails and give you a more open world is when I usually check out. It took me 15 years to actually beat FF6 for this reason.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

FF7 Remake and Intergrade completed, and I really enjoyed them from start to finish. Currently trying to figure out if I have the stomach for post game superboss fights and hard mode - a lot of the bosses were fairly tough even on normal, although I did roll into plenty of them poorly equipped.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

umaro owns actually

You can take him into the Fanatics Tower and he'll ignore the gimmick and stuff all these magic nerds into lockers.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I thought FF3 PR was really fun but it's mostly all about the bosses, the story is quite dumb. I was always a little underlevelled so almost all boss fights ended with 3 guys dead and my knight delivering the finishing blow with me sweating bullets, just like the old days. The boss fight music is so good! Cloud of Darkness doesn't gently caress around but I got him first try.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Party Boat posted:

FF7 Remake and Intergrade completed, and I really enjoyed them from start to finish. Currently trying to figure out if I have the stomach for post game superboss fights and hard mode - a lot of the bosses were fairly tough even on normal, although I did roll into plenty of them poorly equipped.

It bears repeating that "hard" mode feels more like a slightly different playstyle than actually being a more difficult version of the base game. Make sure you have the two Pray materia, and remember you can start casting them so they'll finish as, or even after, the fight ends. With that, plus the MP restoration you sometimes get from busting boxes, I'd say hard mode did not feel significantly more difficult than normal.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Which part are you stuck on? The games much simpler than II, and every problem is just a key and lock thing.

I'm stuck on it being boring

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think FF14 made me appreciate FF3 more than playing FF3 itself and that's largely because FF14 borrows so much from FF3 and puts it to much better use. It absolutely has the best gameplay of the original trilogy and it's the game which codifies and sets in stone the series staples like Moogles and summons. But it's also less interesting than the knock off D&D that is FF1 or the weird proto-SaGa game that's FF2.

Eternal Wind is absolutely in the top 3 world map themes in the series though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still used magic to some degree of consistency for anything that mattered and hard mode still really wasn't that tough. Fun version of the game tbh, some of those later end simulator fights are fuckin nonsense though.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

You use a team of Umaro, Mog, Gau and Cyan so you can charge Cyan's Swdtechs in the original while the other three do their thing anyway.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I cleared Chapter 10 of VIIR on Hard a couple weeks ago and the only fights that have given me much trouble so far have been Rude and Hell House.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 16, 2022

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I feel like with a bit of familiarity with its gimmicks and weaknesses Hell House wouldn't be too bad, but when I just rolled into the fight it ate up a good chunk of my phoenix down stockpile. Can't think of another boss that did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Mr. Fortitude posted:

But it's also less interesting than the knock off D&D that is FF1 or the weird proto-SaGa game that's FF2.

I'm not sure if I've played anything else quite like FF1 which keeps me going back to it. I'm a fan of the combination of d&d-lite mechanics with a presentation that avoids the sort of grimy Conan inspired western RPG settings of its time while predating the JRPG approach of dunking itself in purestrain anime trappings (though it's kind of funny to see Nintendo of America scratch their heads on how to present FF in Nintendo Power and just lean into the grimy fantasy dime novel aesthetic anyway)

The NES port of Ultima 3 gets close but the combat in that game doesn't do it for me