Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
https://www.etuovi.com/kohde/h23949

Well that is a way to get lake view..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Looks like a construction project in progress quite far from the lake, but what is the crappy construction? It is not obvious to me.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

EssOEss posted:

Looks like a construction project in progress quite far from the lake, but what is the crappy construction? It is not obvious to me.

I think it's more of a design choice gripe.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I hope they don't get hurricanes in Finland

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

EssOEss posted:

Apparently the floor is so sloped that the photographer couldn't even try to have a level shot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lmao those asymmetric hand rails

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
It's me. I'm the crappy construction.

Overspackled before painting, ended up with a wall having a full-on hives allergic reaction to the paint.

Now I scratched the hives away with sandpaper but took too much so there's a bunch of open sores on the wall that I'm having to backfill with spackle before repainting them and doing coat 2. :doh:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I think I've told this story in here before, but

I was helping mud a friend's house once, and was doing really careful smoothing, as my father taught me. another guy there wouldn't stop making fun of me. he'd worked as a drywaller and according to him the only way to do it is to slop poo poo on there and then let the sanders deal with it. he was leaving absolute piles on the wall.

when the homeowner came back to sand later it was not me he was yelling at in absentia.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
It's also wasteful and more likely to develop cracks when it's laid on too thick.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
A good coat of mud is the one you barely need to sand. Watch how professionals work. They will sand with a yellow sponge sometimes, because the finish is so fine

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
yeah, it was an unconscionably stupid point of view. I didn't listen to him

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just throw your trash on the ground, it provides employment!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

peanut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDIvzDGBLWU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

peanut posted:

A Finnish classic:

KORSO CENTRE
VANTAA

How do you recycle your waste?

Each of us produces around 315 kg of waste a year. Because taking care of our shared environment is everyone's business, recycling waste is also everyone's responsibility.

Markku Rajala
- I throw garbage in nature there. Some elderly person will come along to gather it up.

e: These have nothing to do with the conversation at hand, or the thread in general, but gonna post them here anyway so sue me:

THE QUESTION What do you wish[...]

Helmer Larsson, 71
Pensioner, Crime Mountain:
- Peace in Aleppo and more liquor for the pensioners.

Evert Jonsson, 61
Private entrepeneur, Castle Garden:
- Free Christmas schnapps and wider sidewalks.

Sirpa Ojala:
- I don't care one bit what happens here. I have had religion for 20 years, and I don't even fear death.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 15, 2022

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol and lol

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Most exciting game of Operation you'll ever play!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A Finnish classic:
THE QUESTION What do you wish[...]

Helmer Larsson, 71
Pensioner, Crime Mountain:
- Peace in Aleppo and more liquor for the pensioners.

I have questions

VVVV
3D Megadoodoo has answers!

Although it would not surprise me in the least that, somewhere, a Crime Mountain exists. I hope.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 15, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

I have questions

It's probably "quarry" as the word in Swedish is the same. I was just trying to be silly. A jokester. A fun guy.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's probably "quarry" as the word in Swedish is the same. I was just trying to be silly. A jokester. A fun guy.

You're a Finn, guy. Common mistake.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
An attempt was made.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Wait, this one is even better...

Somehow I don't think this house is in an HOA.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

kid sinister posted:

An attempt was made.

No see that’s for the skateboarders.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

kid sinister posted:

Wait, this one is even better...

Somehow I don't think this house is in an HOA.

A plumbed outdoor toilet has always been a dream of mine, and this guy made it a reality. Whoever it is, is my hero or the day. Granted it's probably not plumbed, but I love a good toilet in the yard, must go back to when I moved to Tennessee.

At this point I want a plumbed outhouse with a split farmhouse door so I can leave the top open and wave at the neighbors as they drive by for work during my morning constitution.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

A plumbed outdoor toilet has always been a dream of mine, and this guy made it a reality. Whoever it is, is my hero or the day. Granted it's probably not plumbed, but I love a good toilet in the yard, must go back to when I moved to Tennessee.

At this point I want a plumbed outhouse with a split farmhouse door so I can leave the top open and wave at the neighbors as they drive by for work during my morning constitution.

At the last warehouse I lived at, I installed a second shower, and I joked with my housemates that we could install one open air on the roof, livestream it, and use that to pay our rent.

Now, though, open-air plumbed toilet in the front yard is my suburban fantasy.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's the best idea the Scrubs writers ever came up with, the roof toilet episode.

I feel like it'd be a power move to put a plumbed shitter in your yard if you lived in an HOA neighborhood. As though they would have to crown you king of the street.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Hell I'm just thinking about it now, like really considering it, and as long as you've got a sewer cleanout stack capped in your yard, all the plumbing you'd really need to do is a garden hose to fill the flush tank. Or just fill a bucket to take out with you.

The cleanout for my place is right next to the AC compressor, which is cool, because then I've already got a place to put my coffee mug.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I reckon the height of the worst storm in the UK for years is just about the worst time to do (unsecured!) roof work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
In a hotel in the Florida Keys

5 feet of blinds for 8 inches of window :haw:

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think there's a Chinese phrase for this often used in particular examples of terrible construction that translates to something like 'good enough' or 'not my problem anymore'.

"Chabuduo", which I was told means "difference not much" and is used as a synonym for "gently caress it, good enough". I learned it from this thread!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

NoWake posted:

Hell I'm just thinking about it now, like really considering it, and as long as you've got a sewer cleanout stack capped in your yard, all the plumbing you'd really need to do is a garden hose to fill the flush tank. Or just fill a bucket to take out with you.

The cleanout for my place is right next to the AC compressor, which is cool, because then I've already got a place to put my coffee mug.

Tell me you live somewhere that doesn't freeze without telling me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

StormDrain posted:

Tell me you live somewhere that doesn't freeze without telling me.

This is why I like the idea of a plumbed outhouse. I live at 7500 feet. Odds are I'd want R30 walls, an R50 roof, and heated floors, because I would run power to it (and who doesn't like warm feet while they poop). I'd probably have to put a storm door on it for the winter, so the split farmhouse door would have to open inward. It got down to about -25°F here this winter, but nightly lows are more like 0°F for a few months. And pipes have to go down 5 feet here, frost line is 3 feet.

The mountain views here are probably worth it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just put a bay window in your bathroom then? Why does it have to be outside?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Shits and giggles.

I don't know. I'm just drawn to the idea, like geodesic greenhouses and A-frames and hempcrete.

Someday I'll make someone in a county office here reach for a large bottle of aspirin.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Just put a bay window in your bathroom then? Why does it have to be outside?

It isn't the same without a breeze tickling your privates.

I'm not kidding.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Warmachine posted:

I'm not kidding.

In the non-winter months, yes, that's a big draw. Ideally my outhouse door will be on the east facing side, so I'll need windows for ventilation on north and south faces.

If I keep it under 100 sq ft, technically I wouldn't need a permit for it in this county, or any of the ones directly around me.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Warmachine posted:

I'm not kidding.

As someone who has in fact pooped in a toilet in the middle of a big field, this is true, but I'm not sure it's preferable.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

As someone who has in fact pooped in a toilet in the middle of a big field, this is true, but I'm not sure it's preferable.

I suppose the type of breeze matters.

Breeze coming up from a pit toilet? Bad.

Breeze when you're squatting over a fresh hole? Good.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I feel like a view helps. Better than staring at drywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

The real question is would you have a fancy Korean/Japanese bidet seat? I think you gotta go with yes.