Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Grape posted:

None of that is anywhere near the Belarus border.

Change "world" to "Europe". Because otherwise this is just adorable in the most depressing way.

No, I know what I said. I wouldn't expect a prolonged conflict with a bodycount comparable to decades-spanning conflicts in Africa and ME, but this is the largest concentration of frontline fighting forces the world has seen since the 2003 Iraq invasion and it'll be commensurately immediately destructive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Big Beef City posted:

Yes however it may be possible that the current events happening right now are influencing these actions, yeah??

In the sense of impending possible invasion of the whole country yes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Belarus, though? Usually Oligarch's wives would prefer something like Paris.

The puppets don't want to get caught in the crossfire nor be subject to "coercion" by the West.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

E: wrong thread

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Has the pipeline explosion been confirmed?

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Majorian posted:

Everyone's favorite lil' neocon is beating the war drums:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1494788172626202629
Pointing out that Russia is manufacturing the pretext for an invasion is "beating the war drums"?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

buglord posted:

Caro is one of the SA stories I tell friends and family about because ifs both ridiculous enough to defy belief but also has enough coverage supporting it’s validity. I didn’t know there was still *more news* to the story. Thanks D&D.

Didn't the New York Times do a profile about him after he finally was freed from the Syrian prison?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

D-Pad posted:

Didn't the New York Times do a profile about him after he finally was freed from the Syrian prison?

Wtf was there to profile? Unless it was a psych evaluation

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Trump posted:

Something big blew up

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1494784247248433160

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

I'm just not seeing it anywhere else, nothing on the wires either.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Abongination posted:

Something big blew up

https://twitter.com/L_ThinkTank/status/1494825417991147524

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1494833278653714434

"big"

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
So a local utilities line blew up spectacularly just as Biden was about to give his adress.

I mean, it's good if it's only a small line, but the timing is still odd as hell.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I have difficulty believing that Putin’s false flag would be something that actually costs Russia money but I guess that’s what would make it a good false flag

ah. now the pieces are fitting together.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Trump posted:

So a local utilities line blew up spectacularly just as Biden was about to give his adress.

I mean, it's good if it's only a small line, but the timing is still odd as hell.

i know. Its weird how it's happening at the same time that there's been an enormous increase in shelling, Donetsk and Luhansk announced evacuations to russia in videos filmed two days ahead of time, the wife of Putin's biggest Ukrainian ally flees to Belarus, the Russian embassy has been completely evacuated and has mysterious unexplained smoke coming from inside, and Ukraine's oligarchs and politicians with Russian ties flee the country.

A fella might get suspicious!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Trump posted:

Yeah, it’s been properly geolocated via crowdsource videos. Someone said that it’s a pipeline spot that had a similar accident last year, but I haven’t confirmed the claim (the incident report used area name, the geolocation data I saw reported coordinates only).

Ah okay. Lmao.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I mean it's not that unusual when you consider that relatively mundane occurrences are going to be magnified due to the extreme level of tension

what actually happens matters far less than what people perceive to happen

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A fella might get suspicious!

I think Putin would dial up the drama just a tad more than 100 people losing gas during the night.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""Russia has also put forward a large new helicopter deployment of at least 50 rotorcraft at Lida airfield, in northwestern Belarus, according to satellite images from Feb. 16. camera: @Maxar""

"

@Maxar satellite images show 32 Su-25 ground attack aircraft helicopters, an S-400 air defense unit, ground force equipment & UAV/drone unit at Luninets airfield in Belarus, just 30 miles north of Ukraine border. from Feb. 14

""

""
Senior defense official tells @JenGriffinFNC About 40- 50% of Putin's troops have moved into attack position, about 10 - 15 km from Ukraine border. The destabilization campaign that we have been told would precede an invasion for several days "has begun," they said
""

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Would be interested to know more about this "destabilization campaign". Does that mean cyber attacks? SpecOps doing covert things like sabotage and such?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Trump posted:

I think Putin would dial up the drama just a tad more than 100 people losing gas during the night.

They were previously making a big deal about an old not-jeep exploding in an empty parking lot. And "pipeline" sounds important.

(100 people? Columbia Gas salutes your competence)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What exactly is the point of Biden et al coming out and saying they’re “pretty” sure that Ukraine is going to be invaded? This is something I never understood throughout this whole ordeal.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Boris Galerkin posted:

What exactly is the point of Biden et al coming out and saying they’re “pretty” sure that Ukraine is going to be invaded? This is something I never understood throughout this whole ordeal.

Constantly calling out Putins bullshit. Silence would be worse.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

People in Russia have internet. Putin's trying to create a narrative to sell it to his citizens, and calling him out constantly disrupts that. Biden's audience is the same as Putin's.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Deteriorata posted:

People in Russia have internet. Putin's trying to create a narrative to sell it to his citizens, and calling him out constantly disrupts that. Biden's audience is the same as Putin's.

Yep. It's smart - stops Putin from controlling the narrative.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

Would be interested to know more about this "destabilization campaign". Does that mean cyber attacks? SpecOps doing covert things like sabotage and such?

The fact that all the "covert" actions so far have been in Russian-controlled Donbass and Luhansk, so it sounds like they're not getting the intended penetration to do rear echelon attacks on Ukraine proper, at least not yet.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I do much prefer it to the 2014 approach of ostriching and letting the media bothsides everything (though they still do plenty of that), but I think more of a "just the facts" approach may have been better as it doesn't rely on "trust me, the CIA told me this". And facts are pretty damning, and in this day satellite imagery isn't a domain exclusive to governments.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Young Freud posted:

The fact that all the "covert" actions so far have been in Russian-controlled Donbass and Luhansk, so it sounds like they're not getting the intended penetration to do rear echelon attacks on Ukraine proper, at least not yet.

I don't think they're trying to penetrate Ukraine right now, that would be just immediately before and during any potential military action. Right now they are working on the casus belli

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

They've done an awful, terrible, disgustingly bad job of it but the intent was to make it clear that Russia is being the aggressor, consequently making it easier to impose cost on any potential moves they make through soft power alone, and hopefully disabusing the idea of attacking entirely.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

They've done an awful, terrible, disgustingly bad job of it but the intent was to make it clear that Russia is being the aggressor, consequently making it easier to impose cost on any potential moves they make through soft power alone, and hopefully disabusing the idea of attacking entirely.

What would you have them do differently?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Stop providing hard timetables that they have no way to back, stop flipflopping on the language they use when providing said timetables, stop sensationalizing likely Russian invasion objectives (they are targeting Kyiv, Kyiv will fall in 72 hours!), and should actually coordinate on messaging with the Ukrainian government rather than sidestepping them entirely.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
https://twitter.com/DougHenwood/status/1494740272227536896

Good point raised by an emeritus member of the Washington blob

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Conspiratiorist posted:

Stop providing hard timetables that they have no way to back, stop flipflopping on the language they use when providing said timetables, stop sensationalizing likely Russian invasion objectives (they are targeting Kyiv, Kyiv will fall in 72 hours!), and should actually coordinate on messaging with the Ukrainian government rather than sidestepping them entirely.

Why do you assume that these announcements isn't coordinated with Ukraine?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Folks the dog Nazi the Ukraine has destroyed small domestic pipelines in an attempt to deny 98 members of the luhansk people of gas. This attack is or such a magnitude that Moscow has no choice but to eradicate Ukrainian sovereignty.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Trump posted:

Nearly three months of the White House declaring Russia will attack imminently, immediately, in 3 days, yes, no, maybe concurrently with the Zelensky administration says that they have no reason to believe they're about to be attacked beyond the existing bounds of the conflict.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Trump posted:

because Zelensky has openly disagreed with the CIAs assessment of the situation

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah from my point of view (someone who isn’t really following this news other than passively hearing about it) all I’ve read/heard is Biden or someone under him crying wolf, then reading/hearing Ukraine saying wait a minute hold up, repeat ad nauseam.

It’s not a good look. It reminds me of a petulant kid who isn’t relevant or involved in something but screaming as if they were.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
At the very least, zelenskiy should be taking a front and center role on par with Biden. it would do much to dispel the notion that the us was the one in the driver's seat.

Unfortunately I fear the us does not care to allow zelenskiy to take a leadership position

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Ukrainian government only started showing signs of alarm, both in messaging and action, during the last week.

NATO has been beating on this drum since November.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Bathtub Cheese posted:

https://twitter.com/DougHenwood/status/1494740272227536896

Good point raised by an emeritus member of the Washington blob

Hopefully he's right and Biden just looks like a real dummy for predicting an invasion that never happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Trump posted:

Because Ukrainian government officials, including the president, explicitly say they are not happy with America's messaging. Maybe it's all coordinated to make Russia think there is a drift between America and Ukraine, and somehow provoke a mistake from Russia, but it sure doesn't look like it to a casual observer.