Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the gilgamesh in 9 is also not the same gilgamesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No one considers just cutting down the poison grass with their numerous swords they have?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

FF14’s ivalice is close but it’s not the same ivalice. More of a “based on a true story” than the actual ivalice story

Yeah, this is accurate. Like there are a lot of similarities but the events mentioned in FFXIV’s Ivalice don’t match up with FFT’s plot in anything other than the names involved.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad the XIV team knows that Ba'Gamnan and his crew are cool and brought them into it. Also let him transform into the dragon that's named after Matsuno for some reason.

Too bad they didn't let him keep his chainsaw staff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The best signifier that XIV's Ivalice isn't the Ivalice games Ivalice is that the timeline is backwards. FFXII takes place before Tactics, with Vagrant Story after that. But XIV's Ivalice has the War of the Lions be several thousand years ago, with Rabanastre and the characters of XII in the present day and implication that Vagrant Story's setting is somewhere off-screen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The best signifier that they're not the same is that the stories and characters are totally different even if they share some names.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The garula look like the mamoswine looking thing Jack releases from the evil short people in Samurai Jack.

Not my boy Syldra, man hate to see a sea serpent die

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 19, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF14 is the real Ivalice, and FFT and FF12 are fan fiction. They're even framed as books.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think, without them having gone into detail about the entire journey, but having representatives of Ramza's crew showing up at the end of the story, that you can assume the broad strokes of Tactics occurred in a similar fashion in XIV to its original game, but particulars have shifted to allow for the different metaphysics of the setting, the motivational dynamics being altered, and simply different histories and geography - XIV Mustadio is from the predecessor to Garlemald, magic is an intrinsic part of daily life and technological advances, and moogles, viera, seeq, and bangaa would all have still been chilling (nu mou are not yet in evidence on the Source and moogles are not lopporits with wings and poms) at the time.

Like, you can assume Ramza worked with Gaffgarion for a while, there was a Alphonse Delacroix who used one of the auracite (possibly becoming Cúchulainn, as in the Dalriada version), defeat Dycedarg's elder brother, etc.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gaius Marius posted:

No one considers just cutting down the poison grass with their numerous swords they have?

Gaius Marius posted:

The garula look like the mamoswine looking thing Jack releases from the evil short people in Samurai Jack.
I for one am enjoying the ongoing saga of "Gaius Marius shits on every FF game".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Elric, Erekose, Daker, Hawkmoon, Jerry Cornelius, Cid, Cid, Cid, Cid, Cid, Cid, Cid, Cid, Cid, Cid, Cid, Cid, Cid, and Cid, the Eternal Champions

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The best signifier that they're not the same is that the stories and characters are totally different even if they share some names.

Seeing the official FFXIV lore subforum twist themselves into knots to declare Venat to be history's greatest monster mostly by ignoring the actual story, I've learned that there are people who are illiterate to things like 'character motivations', 'personality' and 'tone' and can only understand concrete, stated facts. So with this one I go for the most concrete and stated fact.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The best signifier is the disrespect to the best moogle

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can't believe the official FFXIV lore subforum would do such a thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the gilgamesh in 9 is also not the same gilgamesh

You are all mistaken and I, Jokes Garland, will knock you all down!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Little pro tip people probably don't know. If you hit R when targeting a magic spell in VI it'll target the whole enemy party.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i knew.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

Not my boy Syldra, man hate to see a sea serpent die

Ok I'm all aboard the V ride you're taking us on.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Gaius Marius posted:

Which brings us to Kefka. Absolute Garbage tier villain.

I do not agree with a lot of your FF6 opinions, but I have your back on this one. Kefka is the worst final villain in the series (well okay, I didn't play 13, so I suppose there could be a worse one there).

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kefka owns actually

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
ff14 graphical update

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’m think I’m going to play FF1 PR. Any job classes I should avoid picking? I’ve never really played I or II. Beat the fan translated NES version of III and I’m down for an even more simple and stripped-down dungeon crawl adventure.

Someone made a pretty detailed and knowledgeable post that compared the different bugged stats, hosed up skill growth curves, broken builds, etc of the various versions of I through VI a while back and I think they said that I PR was pretty well balanced, had lot of the janky things from the original fixed, and had the best sound. I can’t find it now, but this is the version to play, right? I could scrounge a copy the the GBA version too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
All classes are good in all FFI versions beyond the first since a lot of the shortfalls came from bugs, so generally speaking, if your team doesn't look like the dumbest combo it could be then it'll be fine. Even if it is the dumbest combo, you could still do fine.

And yeah, pixel remaster is a real good one, don't feel the need to hunt down the GBA version.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I found Red Mage kinda underwhelming in FF1 PR, but not in a way that necessarily held the party back or anything.

Meanwhile White Mage was dead weight for most of the game and then incredibly useful for the final boss so when I play it again I will probably bring a White Mage along again.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Harrow posted:

I found Red Mage kinda underwhelming in FF1 PR, but not in a way that necessarily held the party back or anything.

Meanwhile White Mage was dead weight for most of the game and then incredibly useful for the final boss so when I play it again I will probably bring a White Mage along again.

+1 on both points. I ran fighter/thief/rdm/whm in my last play through. WHM was deadweight except for a couple of boss fights. I think the next party I’d want to try is fighter/thief/monk/rdm. Rdm is at least somewhat useful for clearing trash and is a buff bot in boss fights

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Not a standout but red mage was never holding anyone back, an excellent jack-of-all-trades

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Red mage has a cool hat so do four of those

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

kefka owns actually

:yeah:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kefka is nowhere near my favorite JRPG or even FF villain but the final confrontation with him was totally perfect.

This is how he's introduced, with this fitting clown music. He's just some goofball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGvzrNoEtY

But then this song returns when we confront him at the end. He isn't just some goofball now. And yet the song is still fitting because this is all so funny to Kekfa. He's a mad god who takes amusement in the casual, unstoppable destruction and misery he rains down on the world.

There's an interesting topic about the exact relation between music and emotion, if a song can be said to convey anything universally. Well, Kefka's theme is an intriguing example of how the same song in two different contexts can make you feel such wildly different things.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 19, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kefkas song sounds like the resident evil basement song that was made by a deaf guy

https://youtu.be/iJYvCHm3Ov4
Dancing mad redux version

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
FFVI is Uematsu's favourite soundtrack, so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Gaius Marius posted:

Kefkas song sounds like the resident evil basement song that was made by a deaf guy

https://youtu.be/iJYvCHm3Ov4
Dancing mad redux version
Jesus Fuckin Christ you did NOT just compare one of the best villain themes in FF to that abomination. But you do you, we are all entitled to our terrible opinions!

Tbh I did enjoy your writeups on your FF6 playthrough, I just don’t agree with most of them. It would be great if you could put a little more care in getting the names right for the next set of commentaries though!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

FFVI is Uematsu's favourite soundtrack, so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

I don't respect Uematsu he's a bad composer who makes bad use of his medium. VI is filled with songs too deeply layered for the soundchip on the SNES making all the songs sound like muddled garbage, and instead of taking inspiration from appropriate sources he takes inspiration from orchestral music, a medium inherently based on numerous layered instruments and long performances something antithetical to the RPG battle system. It's no surprise that when he fucks around in different Genre's i.e. Hula de Chocobo, the Jecht Fight song, that the music sounds much better.

Uematsu should be thanking the heavens the Japanese Nationalist who does dragon quest is his main competitor cause otherwise he'd be in the lowest tier.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't respect Uematsu he's a bad composer who makes bad use of his medium. VI is filled with songs too deeply layered for the soundchip on the SNES making all the songs sound like muddled garbage, and instead of taking inspiration from appropriate sources he takes inspiration from orchestral music, a medium inherently based on numerous layered instruments and long performances something antithetical to the RPG battle system. It's no surprise that when he fucks around in different Genre's i.e. Hula de Chocobo, the Jecht Fight song, that the music sounds much better.

Uematsu should be thanking the heavens the Japanese Nationalist who does dragon quest is his main competitor cause otherwise he'd be in the lowest tier.

:goofy:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

mama mia thats-a spicy take

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't respect Uematsu he's a bad composer who makes bad use of his medium.

Just an endless font of bad opinions. It's amazing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
either gaius is trolling or just has terrible opinions or more than likely both and I don't understand why you all keep taking the bait like you're going to be the one to convince them that their takes are stupid

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This is a forum. It is for discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i call him ewwumatsu

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 19, 2022