Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Reminder: tomorrow marks Rush Limbaugh being sober for one year.

Knew you could do it, big guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FMguru posted:

Reminder: tomorrow marks Rush Limbaugh being sober for one year.

Knew you could do it, big guy!
Time flies when you’re just constantly laughing for a year

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just when I couldn't get an erection going for valentines day, up she pops.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Happy new Rush-free year

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was actually very happy today listening to Hannity because Rush Limbaugh's brother was on, and was talking about how people don't know how much Rush was suffering in the year before he died, and how much pain he was in. Hearing that made me smile, if only it could have been worse.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I guess this fits here.

Ben Shapiro is gonna start making "conservative" movies because because, as we know, conservatives need their own version of everything (wikipedia, FB, Twitter, News outlets, etc.) since reality is too liberal. WEll...everything is too liberal for them.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akv4ye/the-daily-wire-maga-conservative-movies-are-here-does-anybody-care

quote:

The Daily Wire is a hugely popular conservative media company fronted by the joyless internet personality Ben Shapiro. Through a torrent of podcasts and blog posts, the site embraces a set of familiar takes: “Cancel culture is destroying Hollywood,” Joe Biden is running a “radical leftist administration.” They host stand-up comedy videos lampooning “all-woke no-joke douchebags.” They run a book club focused in part on titles “which the Left have chased out of classrooms.” They sell illustratively specific merch, like a replica bomb stamped with the word “TRUTH.” Now, they also sell movies.

In a January 2021 op-ed published on the site, Shapiro announced The Daily Wire was getting into show business, shouting that he was tired of losing the culture wars. "There is a reason millions of people believe lies about conservatives," he wrote. "They’ve been trained to do so by a culture that despises conservatives." So now, he said, "it’s time to blow up the Death Star that is the left-wing monopoly on entertainment."

Anecdotally, at least, it seems true that many people who make TV and movies have vaguely-liberal personal politics. Self-avowed lefty artists talk about veganism at the Oscars and fighting the patriarchy at the Met Ball. Some documentarians make truly subversive movies highlighting structural inequity, and gain real mainstream platforms. But is the underlying ideology of Hollywood sincerely leftist?

The hero’s journey is well represented in the history of Hollywood: A lone individual faces adversity and overcomes it with grit and determination. Your circumstances are up to your own making; you alone have the power to change your life. The American Dream is yours if you work enough. That basic story is told again and again.

Curious to see if the quality can measure up to work like Dinesh Dsouza, Kirk Cameron, God is Not Dead and that Atlas Shrugged movie. Not really sure what to expect though because all I can think of are hard scrabble loners and outside the rules cops fighting back hoards of (mostly) minority bad guy sterotypes but Hollywood is already jam packed with that stuff; even going way back (Bronson/Death Wish, Eastwood/Dirty Harry, John Wayne, Stallone/Rambo, Chuck Norris).

I guess we'll get our fair share of persecuted straight white Christians, women athletes being destroyed by trans women and teachers getting bounced for teaching about God or some poo poo like that. I can see a movie about rigging an election I guess. But how can material can really be mined from the persecution complex?

EDIT:

read a little further and it gets into the plots of some of these things. They are what you'd expect them to be.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 18, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

There's plenty of conservative entertainment, yeah. Even outside of 80s action movies where the heroic white guy murders all the criminals and saves the city, you have innocuous seeming stuff like Paw Patrol which very much push the "Cops are heroes and exist to protect you, politicians are bad and can't be trusted" right wing messaging. As well as the stuff like Law and Order which is much more overt in portraying cops as just good natured people who want to do good in the world, maybe there's a bad apple or two but all the other good cops recognize how bad they are and do everything they can to get rid of the bad one. And that's not even getting into stuff like Last Man Standing.

So yeah ultimately in the end all Ben means is "There aren't enough TV shows that straight up say 'Dems and atheists are bad and are responsible for all evil in the world," which means that it's just going to be the same lovely kind of right wing entertainment that they've been making for years already.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess this fits here.

Ben Shapiro is gonna start making "conservative" movies because because, as we know, conservatives need their own version of everything (wikipedia, FB, Twitter, News outlets, etc.) since reality is too liberal. WEll...everything is too liberal for them.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akv4ye/the-daily-wire-maga-conservative-movies-are-here-does-anybody-care

Curious to see if the quality can measure up to work like Dinesh Dsouza, Kirk Cameron, God is Not Dead and that Atlas Shrugged movie. Not really sure what to expect though because all I can think of are hard scrabble loners and outside the rules cops fighting back hoards of (mostly) minority bad guy sterotypes but Hollywood is already jam packed with that stuff; even going way back (Bronson/Death Wish, Eastwood/Dirty Harry, John Wayne, Stallone/Rambo, Chuck Norris).

I guess we'll get our fair share of persecuted straight white Christians, women athletes being destroyed by trans women and teachers getting bounced for teaching about God or some poo poo like that. I can see a movie about rigging an election I guess. But how can material can really be mined from the persecution complex?

EDIT:

read a little further and it gets into the plots of some of these things. They are what you'd expect them to be.

Like, none of the Conservative movies do well at all, I don't even know if they even make back their budget? Like, Left Behind is a huge Christian oriented movie targeted to Right Wing/Christian groups and while it made back its budget, it was a box office bomb.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://1900hotdog.com/2021/06/upsetting-day-last-ounce-of-courage/

Seanbaby covered one of the more famous ones well, and this one was fined 10 times what it made in the box office alone

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
It is so wild to see Seanbaby posting cool stuff nowadays. When I was a kid nearly 20 years ago I would flip to his bad game review section of EGM first thing!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
A lot of these are also known for trying to bring in A list actors, and anybody who does tends to have their career sidelined by these awful films. Nick Cage was in Left Behind and iirc while his career was already suffering, Left Behind made it more difficult for him.

bobjr posted:

Seanbaby covered one of the more famous ones well, and this one was fined 10 times what it made in the box office alone

The level this film went to ENDORSE WAR was outright insane. Two Reagan pro-war quotes bracketing the entire film.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess this fits here.

EDIT:

https://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/yes-mr-elwes-that-is-the-face-we-made-on-seeing-the-trailer-for-the-hyperions.php

They’re also going to just start buying Z-tier Hollywood-made slop that’s so lovely it fails to find a distributor for years on end. They bought the distribution rights to a film called The Hyperions staring Carey Elwes, by all accounts an utter abysmal film that was made 3 years ago and has just been sitting there forever because no one wanted to release it. …Until Ben Shapiro stepped in and added it to The Daily Wire’s threadbare film catalog.

So that’s gonna be Benny’s MO from here on out: buying and releasing buried films no one wanted to see in between making and releasing original films no one wants to see.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/yes-mr-elwes-that-is-the-face-we-made-on-seeing-the-trailer-for-the-hyperions.php

They’re also going to just start buying Z-tier Hollywood-made slop that’s so lovely it fails to find a distributor for years on end. They bought the distribution rights to a film called The Hyperions staring Carey Elwes, by all accounts an utter abysmal film that was made 3 years ago and has just been sitting there forever because no one wanted to release it. …Until Ben Shapiro stepped in and added it to The Daily Wire’s threadbare film catalog.

So that’s gonna be Benny’s MO from here on out: buying and releasing buried films no one wanted to see in between making and releasing original films no one wants to see.

Good to see Ben is taking on the mantle of a lovely MST3k bad guy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bobjr posted:

This is one of the funniest things I have ever read. I'm saving this:

quote:

And so you’re clear on how I feel, this is insanity beneath anyone’s contempt. If you think the billion dollar industry with its own season, music genre, movie genre, TV genre, drug store aisle, and cuisine is “under attack” you’re as wrong as a person can be. You’re stupid as poo poo, on purpose, and anyone indulging your opinion on anything should be getting paid as a mental health care worker or beating you back through a portal to the backwards universe you came from. gently caress you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Like, none of the Conservative movies do well at all, I don't even know if they even make back their budget? Like, Left Behind is a huge Christian oriented movie targeted to Right Wing/Christian groups and while it made back its budget, it was a box office bomb.

My former in laws went to see one of the D'Souza movies at the theater prior to one of our holiday visits. I forget which one (I think it was Obama's America) and recall laughing that they paid money and took the time to go see that piece of poo poo but they said it was no different than me and my ex wife going to see Fahrenheit 9/11 or Roger and Me. I disagree but maybe they're right. I dunno.

Also, it's entirely possible to make a GOOD "conservative movie" and film history is rife with them (I've enjoyed several) where the down to earth, outside the lines, loner playing by his own rules stands up to the bureaucracy, lawyers, politicians and pencil pushers and catches the killer/drug dealer/warlord, usually by using extreme violence.

Typically, it's a straight white guy with a gun who believes in "the simple things in life", honoring our troops, worships "common sense" and gets laid a lot but every decade of cinema is littered with high ranking films that follow this formula and paint the alpha male as the hero. I might go as far as to say it's the rule and not the exception.

But that's not enough, no sir, and we now have to make any teacher who believes in god or celebrates Christmas the victim of a vast liberal takeover of their lives and careers in a world where people spit on our troops and make our children gay. A world where some law abiding citizen had his gun taken away or had a lock mandate and then had his home invaded by angry hoards of gang members that raped his wife and stole his TV. But the lock/gun safe prevented him from defending himself.

It's gonna be just THIS CLOSE to making Derek Vinyard the real victim in American History X

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I started listening to a podcast which makes fun of Christian movies...boy are there a lot of them and boy are a lot of them American. And they're all universally awful.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Good to see Ben is taking on the mantle of a lovely MST3k bad guy.

Now I don't really think that's a fair comparison.

Dr. Forrester could at least sexually satisfy a woman :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

I started listening to a podcast which makes fun of Christian movies...boy are there a lot of them and boy are a lot of them American. And they're all universally awful.

But...

Aren't they all being silenced and cancelled?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

Now I don't really think that's a fair comparison.

Dr. Forrester could at least sexually satisfy a woman :v:

True, I stand corrected.

BiggerBoat posted:

My former in laws went to see one of the D'Souza movies at the theater prior to one of our holiday visits. I forget which one (I think it was Obama's America) and recall laughing that they paid money and took the time to go see that piece of poo poo but they said it was no different than me and my ex wife going to see Fahrenheit 9/11 or Roger and Me. I disagree but maybe they're right. I dunno.

Also, it's entirely possible to make a GOOD "conservative movie" and film history is rife with them (I've enjoyed several) where the down to earth, outside the lines, loner playing by his own rules stands up to the bureaucracy, lawyers, politicians and pencil pushers and catches the killer/drug dealer/warlord, usually by using extreme violence.

Typically, it's a straight white guy with a gun who believes in "the simple things in life", honoring our troops, worships "common sense" and gets laid a lot but every decade of cinema is littered with high ranking films that follow this formula and paint the alpha male as the hero. I might go as far as to say it's the rule and not the exception.

But that's not enough, no sir, and we now have to make any teacher who believes in god or celebrates Christmas the victim of a vast liberal takeover of their lives and careers in a world where people spit on our troops and make our children gay. A world where some law abiding citizen had his gun taken away or had a lock mandate and then had his home invaded by angry hoards of gang members that raped his wife and stole his TV. But the lock/gun safe prevented him from defending himself.

It's gonna be just THIS CLOSE to making Derek Vinyard the real victim in American History X

Oh no I don't mean the typical Right Wing action flick, I mean stuff like this: The whole "justify Christian teachings in popular culture" crap like Left Behind and some of the other lovely ones like 'A Measure of Faith' which was a Creationism film.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I thought Ben was already making conservative movies back when that one person got kicked off the Mandalorian and almost immediately pivoted to hawking subs for his site.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

It is so wild to see Seanbaby posting cool stuff nowadays. When I was a kid nearly 20 years ago I would flip to his bad game review section of EGM first thing!

It doesn't usually concern itself too much with politics, but his weekly podcast with Robert Brockway is usually worth a listen.

https://podbay.fm/p/the-dogg-zzone-by-1900hotdog

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'll check it out! I liked the episode he did on Behind The Bastards.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

True, I stand corrected.

Oh no I don't mean the typical Right Wing action flick, I mean stuff like this: The whole "justify Christian teachings in popular culture" crap like Left Behind and some of the other lovely ones like 'A Measure of Faith' which was a Creationism film.

Oh. I wasn't arguing with you or anything and I also don't know any of those films you mentioned.

I was just projecting outward and trying to figure out what a "Conservative Movie Studio" whose business model is "gently caress liberal Jews in Hollywood" might look like, what sorts of films they want to make and then remembering hundreds and thousands of acclaimed mainstream films that already follow what I assume might be their precise template which were already successful and critically acclaimed. Many of which I like and are already on the IMDB Top 100.

I'm expecting some "Saving Christmas" and "Hillary's America" more than "Dirty Harry" or "Death Wish" but, since more than anything, they'll produce whatever makes money and, since most people don't like religious or political films, I also think I'll be wrong about that and it'll be a ton of armed teachers, good guys with guns and/or people of faith saving the day for america. Probably a Rush Limbaugh bio film mixed in there as well along with a lot of Muslim bad guys. Bad reviews and Academy Awards snubs of objectively bad movies will just be further proof of liberal reviewers at the NYT and poo poo like that.

I don't know what this thing is. The article says that making money isn't a prime objective but that makes no loving sense to me for several obvious reasons.

toa5t
Apr 12, 2004

Of course I am.

BiggerBoat posted:

But...

Aren't they all being silenced and cancelled?

I mean they have Pure flix, with all the David A.R. White stuff. God Awful movies covers all that. You have Behind the Bastards and crew reading all the terrible short stories and fiction books written by Ben Shapiro. This is just Ben trying to get back to his roots of being a fiction writer and wanting to make some movies instead of monologuing into a mic as his primary source of income.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

bobjr posted:

LMAO

The "hero" of this trash is the "I used to gently caress guys like you in prison" guy from Roadhouse.

Admittedly, this is pointed out later in the review, but I kept seeing the pics and was like, why does this idiot look familiar?

Annual watching of Roadhouse lays off for once.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 18, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Didn't Daily Wire come out with some ripoff of Panic Room recently?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
What is the meaningful difference between an explicitly "conservative" movie and a movie like Skyfall? Or Taken? Or even John Wick?

The "sell stuff to your dad" genre is pretty well represented in Hollywood.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The difference is basically a lack of skill or over focus on the agenda. So there’s tons of films out there that essentially advance conservative ideas or politics. Cop stuff. Revenge vigilante justice stuff. Military stuff. Foreign threat stuff. Etc etc etc. What separates those films from “Conservative Films” is that the makers of the latter are too clumsy or heavy handed with their message. And they all think that’s bias because there’s always liberal message movies out there but there also something like The American Sniper. Left Behind isn’t a part of Hollywood because it’s bad.

But we’re also talking about people who think that like the inclusion of a gay character is the extreme to the other end. So people like that just can’t be satisfied. I have family members who simply won’t watch anything with family because everything is offensive to them in some way except for their conservative films.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 18, 2022

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Zeroisanumber posted:

What is the meaningful difference between an explicitly "conservative" movie and a movie like Skyfall? Or Taken? Or even John Wick?

Same difference between "Christian music" and regular music with Christian themes - the primary concern is making it "conservative", everything else comes a distant second

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
These people also tend to have awful media literacy, they probably can't recognize conservative themes without someone shouting it at them

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

That was my take as well and you brought up some more modern good examples that I flaked on.

I think it's just this constant downward spiral of being more conservative, things not being conservative enough and to keep conservative...ing(?) even harder. USA USA USA poo poo.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 19, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Don't forget the vetting of the actors, ideally casting people cancelled by the libs. They don't want to look at people that don't agree with them. First I heard about this was an announcement that Gina Carrano was gonna be part of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, maybe Rob Schneider, Tim Allen, Kevin Sorbo, Kirstie Alley and Victoria Jackson can find some work.

I'm OK with James Woods getting some roles if this is what it takes because at least he's actually good most of the time. Jon Voight too.

Wonder how this film company might feel about Woody Allen or Roman Polanski being "cancelled'?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

This has been going on for a little while now.

https://www.dailywire.com/videos/run-hide-fight

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

I mean poo poo like dozens on dozens of 80's and 90's flicks were super conservative, if you even bother thinking about it for 5 seconds, Ben's full of poo poo and this is just a the newest grift.

I'm not 1/2 as liberal as most of the goons here, but I even saw some of the MM movies and the reason he wins awards is b/c his movies are actually good. The recent runs of "God's not Dead" or whatever is poo poo.

That being said, I think these movies are making TONs of money. Even when the "lose" money, they are making the filmmaker TONs of money. After all, he had to pay himself a salary to make it...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Tarezax posted:

These people also tend to have awful media literacy, they probably can't recognize conservative themes without someone shouting it at them

Die Hard is right wing as gently caress and it's a fantastic movie and almost everyone loves it. And you're right that Ben and people like him wouldn't consider it conservative because it doesn't have a scene where Bruce Willis looks at the camera and says "This all happened because of Obama and HIllary" (or well the movie was released in 1988 so uh...Mondale? Dukakis?)

Now I'm thinking about like, an explicitly right wing superhero movie with a bargain bin Justice League who are told by the community that they don't have enough minority representation in their group so they accept more women who turn out to be useless in stopping villains (because women aren't as strong as men you see). Then it ends with it being revealed that forcing them to be more diverse was actually the plot of a supervillain and it ends with them saying that this is proof that racial/gender quotas are destructive and cause harm.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Piell posted:

Same difference between "Christian music" and regular music with Christian themes - the primary concern is making it "conservative", everything else comes a distant second
There is an entire shadow economy of Christian knockoffs of products and services from the regular economy. You name it, there is a crummier and more expensive (but covered with bible verses and little fish icons) version of it.

I wonder if I still have my cards for that lovely Christian knockoff of Magic: The Gathering around somewhere?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Christian movies are well-known as guaranteed money makers because pastors will use church money to book group trips to the theater or pay to screen it at church functions and since it’s “functional” as long as the message is good nothing else needs to be. I think the Narnia movie was when Hollywood realized this.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how the people who think Hollywood is run by an elite cabal of Jews will react to a movie studio founded by Ben Shapiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Christmas ones tend to be more of a mess only because most of the time they can't decide if Christmas should be about the glory of Capitalism and buying things, or if it should be about Jesus and how Atheist suddenly have the power to destroy him once and for all.