Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gaius Marius posted:

This is a forum. It is for discussion

Your opinions are dumb. I mean FF6 is kind of bad, it shits it's pants super hard in the WoR because it goes from this pretty well balanced ensemble story to this stagnant series of vignettes that are mostly kind of bad but most of your complaints are just incredibly dumb.

So in short. FF6 bad, you're bad, FF5 tho...that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
final fantasy 6 owns actually

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 6 owns actually

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Uematsu should be thanking the heavens the Japanese Nationalist who does dragon quest is his main competitor cause otherwise he'd be in the lowest tier.

*was

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yeah. I wonder who they get for the next one. Weird situation to be in.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Your opinions are dumb. I mean FF6 is kind of bad, it shits it's pants super hard in the WoR because it goes from this pretty well balanced ensemble story to this stagnant series of vignettes that are mostly kind of bad but most of your complaints are just incredibly dumb.

So in short. FF6 bad, you're bad, FF5 tho...that's good.

I post with my heart friend, It's all I can do.

WOR is also better cause it's got an ounce of focus for it's narrative instead of jumping all over the loving place.

I love how much more freedom V gives you. You get a ship before and hour, and then a Dragon in Two. Obviously the world is designed so you can't really go too far, but it makes the story feel so much grander in scope when you can already move from kingdom to kingdom so early. Faris also straight up owns, the whole script feels like they had it punched up a dozen times, and She really benefits. Watching the Seadragon die hit me man. Getting arrested buying weapons was pretty cool little twist too.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The only good track in the entire Dragon Warrior franchise is the first's world theme.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The only good track in the entire Dragon Warrior franchise is the first's world theme.

Koichi Sugiyama was a hack. His lovely views reflect his garbage compositions.

Nobuo Uematsu is a legendary composer. His work is timeless across all the early Final Fantasy games. FFIV has such a powerful soundtrack.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Blockhouse posted:

either gaius is trolling or just has terrible opinions or more than likely both

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Koichi Sugiyama was a miserable old bigot who peaked artistically about 30 years before his death.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Bongo Bill posted:

Koichi Sugiyama was a miserable old bigot who peaked artistically about 30 years before his death.

At first I thought Dragon Quest's sound design was nostalgic, then I realized he was just an extremely lazy composer. Its an enormous :aloom: that they rereleased the newest Dragon Quest with an option to turn on Dragon Quest 7 (8? I think 7s) overworld track.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

Kefka is nowhere near my favorite JRPG or even FF villain but the final confrontation with him was totally perfect.

This is how he's introduced, with this fitting clown music. He's just some goofball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGvzrNoEtY

But then this song returns when we confront him at the end. He isn't just some goofball now. And yet the song is still fitting because this is all so funny to Kekfa. He's a mad god who takes amusement in the casual, unstoppable destruction and misery he rains down on the world.

There's an interesting topic about the exact relation between music and emotion, if a song can be said to convey anything universally. Well, Kefka's theme is an intriguing example of how the same song in two different contexts can make you feel such wildly different things.

I was just listening to dancing mad to compare the two and, I might have the wrong one, but the songs have nothing in common except maybe the key they are in, so I dunno what you mean here.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

roomtone posted:

I was just listening to dancing mad to compare the two and, I might have the wrong one, but the songs have nothing in common except maybe the key they are in, so I dunno what you mean here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-cdwDnryY0

At 2:37 it transitions to Kefka's original theme that NikolasKing is referencing, right after the party made their case for why he's insane and he tells them all they sound like theyre chapters from a self help book (thanks Ted).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-cdwDnryY0

At 2:37 it transitions to Kefka's original theme that NikolasKing is referencing, right after the party made their case for why he's insane and he tells them all they sound like theyre chapters from a self help book (thanks Ted).

Yes, thank you. It's the perfect theme of madness, going from silly madness to terrifying madness in his first and last scenes.

Also it just made me think of one of the best songs in FMA 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX8kiPLIG0E&t=53s

I dunno what it is....I don't have any real technical knowledge of music. Just feels like it's insanity in audio form, this and Kefka's theme.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes, thank you. It's the perfect theme of madness, going from silly madness to terrifying madness in his first and last scenes.

Also it just made me think of one of the best songs in FMA 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX8kiPLIG0E&t=53s

I dunno what it is....I don't have any real technical knowledge of music. Just feels like it's insanity in audio form, this and Kefka's theme.

To your point it's a really great musical dichotomy where the first time you hear it you have a silly clown man being mad at sand and the last time you hear it that same person has become a terrifying god of a ruined world. It's a very well done scene.

Also yea, that FMA track echoes it heavily.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I hate to go to bat for a garbage fire dumpster person, but Adventure is at least on par with the other FF world map themes, and DQV’s battle theme is better than like half the Final Fantasy series. Still means he peaked early, but it’s his own fault every one looks past the fact that he’s been old as poo poo for a lot of the series he’s composed. :v:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

I found Red Mage kinda underwhelming in FF1 PR, but not in a way that necessarily held the party back or anything.

Meanwhile White Mage was dead weight for most of the game and then incredibly useful for the final boss so when I play it again I will probably bring a White Mage along again.

Red Mage is really held back now that spells (including spell-casting equipment) scales off of Int. It's not the end of the world, but I'd think I'd rather run with a dedicated spell caster in the PR so they're actually useful at what you want them to do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NikkolasKing posted:

Kefka is nowhere near my favorite JRPG or even FF villain but the final confrontation with him was totally perfect.

This is how he's introduced, with this fitting clown music. He's just some goofball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGvzrNoEtY

But then this song returns when we confront him at the end. He isn't just some goofball now. And yet the song is still fitting because this is all so funny to Kekfa. He's a mad god who takes amusement in the casual, unstoppable destruction and misery he rains down on the world.

There's an interesting topic about the exact relation between music and emotion, if a song can be said to convey anything universally. Well, Kefka's theme is an intriguing example of how the same song in two different contexts can make you feel such wildly different things.

Something else is that it also still works in the later context because you quickly see Kefka just devolve, proving that all his nihilistic big-talk is just coming from someone with the mind and outlook of a child, and he very quickly reverts to tantrums and name-calling. He's not enlightened and he hasn't grown, he's exactly as childish as his simplistic theme suggests.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Omega is not the same character. The omega in 14 is incredibly self contained in 14.

Omega is the same character. midgar tells you hes from another star, doesnt go into it and omegas whole thing is recording stuff its SEEN and recreating it for its scape fight club. That info alone clearly means omega super boss in the games it shows up in is the same one in ff14.

Ivalice is up to interp i guess

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Gologle posted:

ff14 graphical update

Npcs trusts in real reborn to stormblood dungeons, the one thing i wanted this whole time and its finally here as i head to shadow bringers :negative:

Good for new players wont need to deal with that god awful duty finder community and for future proofing. I might ng+ it now

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl3lMyyMzas

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PneumonicBook posted:

At first I thought Dragon Quest's sound design was nostalgic, then I realized he was just an extremely lazy composer. Its an enormous :aloom: that they rereleased the newest Dragon Quest with an option to turn on Dragon Quest 7 (8? I think 7s) overworld track.
It's 8's.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

:hmmyes:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Omega is the same character. midgar tells you hes from another star, doesnt go into it and omegas whole thing is recording stuff its SEEN and recreating it for its scape fight club. That info alone clearly means omega super boss in the games it shows up in is the same one in ff14.

Omega isn't recreating what it's seen on other worlds, it's recreating things that exist in fiction. The dialog confirms it, he's pulling from a bunch of disparate stories that were clearly not actual accounts; I remember off the top of my head that Halicarnassus is from a fairy tale, and Exdeath was from a probably-allegorical poem that Omega misunderstood and took literally. The one exception is Kefka, who appears to somehow be an imitation of the real deal across worlds because the characters can't tell what the gently caress. (And if you count 'translation gag' as evidence, the Kefka minion description is considered curiously familiar by Y'shtola, suggesting Dissidia NT is canon and it's based on Actual Kefka.)

That's not to say that XIV Omega can't be the V Omega, or a number of others, because we know XIV Omega got extremely lost and has severe unaccounted-for patches, while V Omega has no known origin, but there is no evidence confirming this. This also means that XIV Omega can plausibly be any of the other 'unknown origin' Omegas in the series, including I, IV After Years, XII (although this has a very different design), XIII-2, and plausibly the Chocobo series although Alpha makes that weird.

The ones XIV Omega can't be are the ones with in-universe origins of their own: XI by way of a Proto-Omega existing, and XV where Omega is connected to ancient Solheim. In fact, all three of these have approximately equal claim to being the other Omegas, but cannot be each other.

And of course, we know XIV Omega's origins better now too, since Endwalker showed us the origins of his people.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 19, 2022

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Omega isn't recreating what it's seen on other worlds, it's recreating things that exist in fiction. The dialog confirms it, he's pulling from a bunch of disparate stories that were clearly not actual accounts; I remember off the top of my head that Halicarnassus is from a fairy tale, and Exdeath was from a probably-allegorical poem that Omega misunderstood and took literally. The one exception is Kefka, who appears to somehow be an imitation of the real deal across worlds because the characters can't tell what the gently caress. (And if you count 'translation gag' as evidence, the Kefka minion description is considered curiously familiar by Y'shtola, suggesting Dissidia NT is canon and it's based on Actual Kefka.)

That's not to say that XIV Omega can't be the V Omega, or a number of others, because we know XIV Omega got extremely lost and has severe unaccounted-for patches, while V Omega has no known origin, but there is no evidence confirming this. This also means that XIV Omega can plausibly be any of the other 'unknown origin' Omegas in the series, including I, IV After Years, XII (although this has a very different design), XIII-2, and plausibly the Chocobo series although Alpha makes that weird.

The ones XIV Omega can't be are the ones with in-universe origins of their own: XI by way of a Proto-Omega existing, and XV where Omega is connected to ancient Solheim. In fact, all three of these have approximately equal claim to being the other Omegas, but cannot be each other.

And of course, we know XIV Omega's origins better now too, since Endwalker showed us the origins of his people.

im only in stormblood. but im going by the dialog that was pretty matter of fact cos i did it earlier in the week. omega is creating things hes seen throughout his entire world hopping life. sounds like they retcon it tho. nero says hey, ffv is a fairy tale but that could be applied to the way real things turn into fairy tales and get passed down and changed.

like ivalice. cos a dude on the ship straight up tells you so.

i know its a long game and the big advice for ff14 is to skip dialogue but maybe people shouldnt be ignoring every npc who doesn't have a blue shield.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 19, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Thank you - I was feeling a little lethargic at work this morning but this picked me right back up.

Blue Dragon Steam release when?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vikar Jerome posted:

i know its a long game and the big advice for ff14 is to skip dialogue but maybe people shouldnt be ignoring every npc who doesn't have a blue shield.

...the gently caress are you listening to, that's the worst advice for exactly these reasons.

And no, nothing around this is retconned, it's just elaborated on later.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Eternity is an amazing, amazing song but I didn't post it because Gaius specifically said Uematus is only good when he goes out on a limb and does weird stuff like Eternity.

Of course, I think Uematsu's great at most everything he does, including his more "conventional" or overlooked work. Back when FFVIIR was first announced I made a list of the Top 7 Most Underrated FFVII Songs which were:

7. Chasing the Black-Caped Man
6. Who Are You
5. Sandy Badlands - Corel Prison Theme
4. Descendant of the Shinobi - Yuffie's Theme
3. Forested Temple - Temple of the Ancients Theme
2. Jenova Absolute
And first place, a song which which I think is phenomenal and almost never gets the credit it deserves despite being associated with arguably the most emotionally powerful moment in the game
1. Off the Edge of Despair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2F38WvhMOU

Uematsu is a legend.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't respect Uematsu he's a bad composer who makes bad use of his medium. VI is filled with songs too deeply layered for the soundchip on the SNES making all the songs sound like muddled garbage, and instead of taking inspiration from appropriate sources he takes inspiration from orchestral music, a medium inherently based on numerous layered instruments and long performances something antithetical to the RPG battle system. It's no surprise that when he fucks around in different Genre's i.e. Hula de Chocobo, the Jecht Fight song, that the music sounds much better.

Uematsu should be thanking the heavens the Japanese Nationalist who does dragon quest is his main competitor cause otherwise he'd be in the lowest tier.

Uematsu gets bonus points for still being alive

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blockhouse posted:

either gaius is trolling or just has terrible opinions or more than likely both and I don't understand why you all keep taking the bait like you're going to be the one to convince them that their takes are stupid

He's an incredibly boring troll who makes the most zero effort 'that thing you like is actually bad' posts though to be fair this is the first thread I've seen actually bite instead of ignoring him so I can see why he's going ham suddenly

Mega64
May 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Eternity is an amazing, amazing song but I didn't post it because Gaius specifically said Uematus is only good when he goes out on a limb and does weird stuff like Eternity.

Makes sense since I don't read their posts.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

He's an incredibly boring troll who makes the most zero effort 'that thing you like is actually bad' posts though to be fair this is the first thread I've seen actually bite instead of ignoring him so I can see why he's going ham suddenly

I think there's a fun conversation to be had there - Uematsu isn't my favorite FF composer tbh, but he's pretty talented. His style is super broad and while his sound has certain themes, every Final Fantasy he's composed has it's own distinct sound to it and I think that's a huge achievement. It's all very recognizable in a good way.

I agree with what you're saying though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If it weren't for Uematsu we wouldn't have the definitive Best Final Fantasy Game, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think FF9 is Uematsu's strongest work. Or at least most varied amd interesting work. It also helps that by all accounts, Uematsu is a pretty nice old guy who goes cycling and is a fan of pro wrestling which makes him infinitely more relatable than Koichi Sugiyama.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I listened to the FF9 OST yesterday during work and imagined the entire game if all the playable characters were replaced by different Steiners. Zidane would be Courage Steiner, Amarant would be Evil Steiner, Quina would be Primal Steiner and their dialogue would just be them screaming "STEINER", and Main Steiner would refer to his team of Steiners as the Steiner Squad.

...I really need to learn to hack FF9.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Cleretic posted:

...the gently caress are you listening to, that's the worst advice for exactly these reasons.

And no, nothing around this is retconned, it's just elaborated on later.

Oh im not listening to anyone lol i agree its bad advice but gets pushed out as defacto in places like the mmo starter thread here. I think it comes from WoW conditioning where that trash is max level is considered the real game so get there asap. Real dumb. My enjoyment of ff14 skyrocketed when i ignored everything that thread was telling me, my own fault tbh, mmos in my view tend be obtuse and the playerbase... well.

But then you start playing and its like ohhh this is just a final fantasy with dumb online bullshit you can safely ignore for the most part. And now yoship is making so you can ignore it for the whole part, loving great news.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 19, 2022

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If someone were to fart through a trumpet they would tap into the same creative well Sugiyama did.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 19, 2022

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mega64 posted:

I listened to the FF9 OST yesterday during work and imagined the entire game if all the playable characters were replaced by different Steiners. Zidane would be Courage Steiner, Amarant would be Evil Steiner, Quina would be Primal Steiner and their dialogue would just be them screaming "STEINER", and Main Steiner would refer to his team of Steiners as the Steiner Squad.

...I really need to learn to hack FF9.

I would play Into the Steinerverse

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If someone were to fart through a trumpet they would tap into the same creative well Sugiyama did.

"Farting through a trumpet" is exactly what he did for DQXI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Levantine posted:

"Farting through a trumpet" is exactly what he did for DQXI.

Please, he farted through a trumpet preset on a 1992 cheap Casio keyboard.

There's a couple of DQ compositions I like (DQ4's battle theme, DQ8's tower of Alexandria and the flying theme) but..man I'm glad he's gone and hopefully someone who isn't a complete loving hack (regardless of everything else) can come in now