Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Grimthwacker posted:

So I'm guessing these FFXIV "graphical updates" are going to be like taking your character from Phantasy Star Online 2 to PSO2 New Genesis? Same basic model, just more detailed and with better shaders/effects? That's what I get from looking at these pictures. (I don't play FFXIV, just making a comparison to something I do play).

Yeah, but not too detailed cause that be weird as hell.

The NPCs too, but their improvements aren't happening at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Grimthwacker posted:

So I'm guessing these FFXIV "graphical updates" are going to be like taking your character from Phantasy Star Online 2 to PSO2 New Genesis? Same basic model, just more detailed and with better shaders/effects? That's what I get from looking at these pictures. (I don't play FFXIV, just making a comparison to something I do play).

That's what they said, yeah. We don't know exactly how far they're aiming to push it, since those shots were only after a month of dev work and the scenery was over-exaggerated, so we don't know if it'll be as big of an upgrade as the PSO2 one was.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They literally said that the graphics will never match the quality of other main line titles. They also said that because the improvements will happen in stages that some NPCs will improve before others and that if the two NPCs are in the same cutscene please don't make fun of the lesser quality one. I'm personally hoping for a "Squall the most handsome guy here" moment.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Part of what makes Kefka endearing is seeing him grow in parallel with the heroes. He starts as a Saturday morning "curses foiled again" type, but over the course of the World of Balance you see him doing more and more overtly heinous stuff, and finding ever greater sources of power until he's smoking magicites like crack, all culminating in killing the previously established evil emperor main villain and assimilating the powers of God.

A lot of the other big villains that came before him are pretty established characters. They're fairly static. Yeah they have big plans to destroy the world, but there's not a sense that they're going through their own villainous hero's journey. The closest equivalent are stuff like Garland becoming Chaos or Emperor Palamecia conquering Hell, where it's more like they flip a switch and go from regular villain to anime supervillain with no in between. Kefka is a bit more gradual, you fight him a good few times and each time he's got a few more tricks and is a little bit less of just a joke.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Kuja completely destroyed the world of Terra. And if you're going to count the World of Ruin as "destroyed" when many towns like Jidoor are totally fine and there's plenty of people around, then Emperor Mateus and Yu Yevon destroyed the world just as much.

In fact if you're going by the metric of "succeeded at their plan" for best villains then Yu Yevon is better than Kefka since not only did he succeed at his plan, he's literally immortal and can't be killed, Kefka got killed by an eight year old girl and a moogle. Oh yeah and when Mateus died he decided "gently caress you Satan" and took over Hell and Heaven. What did Kefka do after he got killed? Oh yeah. Nothing. Because he's a punk rear end loser bitch. Terrible villain.

Honestly I think Yu Yevon might be at the top because not only did he succeed in reducing the world to rubble, he also managed to keep the survivors from rebuilding their world for a thousand years of constant misery and suffering.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is it fair to call Yu Yevon a villain at all when he ceased being a conscious, thinking being long before we even see him?

The fact Kefka won definitely isn't enough to make him special anymore but how his victory is presented is pretty impressive to this day. We get to see and appreciate the World of Ruin in FFVI, unlike in FFXV.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As fair as it is to call evil cloud or evil tree a villain I guess

There was already a game that let you stew in your failure to save the world before VI. SmtI

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NikkolasKing posted:

Is it fair to call Yu Yevon a villain at all when he ceased being a conscious, thinking being long before we even see him?

The fact Kefka won definitely isn't enough to make him special anymore but how his victory is presented is pretty impressive to this day. We get to see and appreciate the World of Ruin in FFVI, unlike in FFXV.

I consider the villain of X to be Yevonism itself rather than any single entity. So killing Yu Yevon is less like killing the villain themselves, and more landing a direct hit on the villain's glowing weak spot.

It's like of your solution to dealing with the overarching power of the Catholic Church was to find Jesus' dead body and cut his head off.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Honestly I think Yu Yevon might be at the top because not only did he succeed in reducing the world to rubble, he also managed to keep the survivors from rebuilding their world for a thousand years of constant misery and suffering.

He was also an active threat that constantly showed up to destroy things. Kefka uses the Light of Judgment once, guess he's too busy being a complete loser to do anything.

NikkolasKing posted:

Only because Kefka did a poo poo job at destroying the world.

Meanwhile the Ten Wise Men in Star Ocean 2 completely loving obliterate Expel, it's gone completely, an entire planet reduced to space dust. That's how you destroy a world, but hey maybe Kefka just wasn't powerful enough to actually destroy it, he was just playing at being a god. Meanwhile actual gods look at how pathetic he is and laugh.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
didn't kefka just mostly move things around

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It wasn't so bad under Kefka, at least the Phantom Trains ran on time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kefkas apex bad guy moment being pushing statues around was highly lol. All the threat and menace of a Zelda dingeon

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

roomtone posted:

I think the only thing Kefka managed to successfully destroy was uh...Tzen? Like every other town from the World of Balance still exists and is doing fine.

So yeah mostly he just moved some land masses around and put the Serpent Trench above water and called it a day, he didn't destroy a loving thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Shadow moved the statues to pin Kefka between them so really Shadow is also responsible for ending the world and thus saving him makes your party the villains.

Then again this is the game where people actively promote poisoning Cid so they can watch Celes attempt suicide so maybe FF6 is just a game for sick fucks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

Kuja completely destroyed the world of Terra. And if you're going to count the World of Ruin as "destroyed" when many towns like Jidoor are totally fine and there's plenty of people around, then Emperor Mateus and Yu Yevon destroyed the world just as much.

In fact if you're going by the metric of "succeeded at their plan" for best villains then Yu Yevon is better than Kefka since not only did he succeed at his plan, he's literally immortal and can't be killed, Kefka got killed by an eight year old girl and a moogle. Oh yeah and when Mateus died he decided "gently caress you Satan" and took over Hell and Heaven. What did Kefka do after he got killed? Oh yeah. Nothing. Because he's a punk rear end loser bitch. Terrible villain.

This is difficult to argue with. I concede.

Kefka still owns though. I love my melted brain magitec clown wizard.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She was cliff diving to cheer herself up

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think the only thing Kefka managed to successfully destroy was uh...Tzen? Like every other town from the World of Balance still exists and is doing fine.

So yeah mostly he just moved some land masses around and put the Serpent Trench above water and called it a day, he didn't destroy a loving thing.

Vector is gone gone, and Narshe has one person in it but I don't know if that's him judging it or monsters just killing everyone.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Kefkas apex bad guy moment being pushing statues around was highly lol. All the threat and menace of a Zelda dingeon

Hey bud the OoT forest dungeon was pretty threatening when I was 8

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

roomtone posted:

half of dominating the world is just showing up

the other half is moving things around

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Veldt City is also pretty hosed. Figaro Castle spends a year underground and everyone almost suffocates.

Jidoor's fine because it's a bunch of rich people.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Arist posted:

It wasn't so bad under Kefka, at least the Phantom Trains ran on time

:chanpop:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Twelve by Pies posted:

there's some orphans in mobliz that would like to speak to you

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
And yeah by the time Kefka misaligns the magic statues he has completely lost all sense of sanity. He's the Joker doesn't want to kill everyone, he wants to crush all their hopes and ambitions and force them to live in constant fear and chaos. After he destroys the World of Balance he's mostly just hanging out making sure none of the regular people rebel.

And he also does kill a shitload of people. Yeah most of the towns still exist but they're definitely not "fine". They're living in constant terror and tons of their loved ones fell into the cracks in the earth caused by the world getting all hosed up.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Vector is gone gone, and Narshe has one person in it but I don't know if that's him judging it or monsters just killing everyone.

Ah yeah I forgot about Vector. Narshe doesn't have the "destroyed building" tiles like Tzen does so I think it's just everyone there got killed by monsters, rather than Kefka judging it.

DrPossum posted:

there's some orphans in mobliz that would like to speak to you

Sorry I'm too busy getting fame and fortune in the coliseum.

Elephant Ambush posted:

After he destroys the World of Balance he's mostly just hanging out making sure none of the regular people rebel.

Well he sure did a terrible job of that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah but again, Kuja caused huge casualties in every major settlement of FF9 and Yu Yevon caused the entire world to worship a death cult and live in fear of dying at any moment for a thousand years. Caius managed to ruin the world beyond all repair to the point that God has to remake the world, while Kefka's defeat managed to make the world slowly heal almost instantly.

Kefka just isn't that impressive beyond haha funny clown man turning out to be the main villain. People say Sephiroth is the most overrated villain in the series but I'd argue Kefka is a close contender for that position.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think we're running into the simple technological limitations of the era.

And besides, while not everything is destroyed, that's only because Kefka wants people to live in fear and terror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtWRnI_fhuM

The only option is that or they end up like the Fanatics at the tower, joining him in his nihilistic madness.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I think we're running into the simple technological limitations of the era.

I was hoping nobody would call that out but yeah I'm well aware that there's only so much ruin they could show given the size of SNES carts and palette requirements. :v: I do think that Narshe lacking the "destroyed building" tiles that Tzen has is enough to say that Narshe didn't get fried, though. I forget, does Narshe have random encounters in the town area in the WoR?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well he sure did a terrible job of that.

I said regular people!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Narshe had encounters

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The main character of X is actually the Fayth

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah but again, Kuja caused huge casualties in every major settlement of FF9 and Yu Yevon caused the entire world to worship a death cult and live in fear of dying at any moment for a thousand years. Caius managed to ruin the world beyond all repair to the point that God has to remake the world, while Kefka's defeat managed to make the world slowly heal almost instantly.

Kefka just isn't that impressive beyond haha funny clown man turning out to be the main villain. People say Sephiroth is the most overrated villain in the series but I'd argue Kefka is a close contender for that position.

Kuja only did that because he was explicitly thwarted in everything he actually wanted. He threw a giant temper tantrum. Not exactly intimidating or impressive in a villainous sense.

As for Yu Yevon, meh. That wasn't his intention at all so again I'm reluctant to call him a villain.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Asterite34 posted:

Part of what makes Kefka endearing is seeing him grow in parallel with the heroes. He starts as a Saturday morning "curses foiled again" type, but over the course of the World of Balance you see him doing more and more overtly heinous stuff

The first time you see him at all is him using the slave crown on Terra and proceeding to have her slaughter a shitload of soldiers to see how strong she is. Then the first time you meet him in person he tries to burn a castle to the ground to force compliance, with his second appearance being when he kills an entire castle's population. He acts like a goofball while repeatedly committing/attempting mass murder and genocide.

I never did get the whole "moving the statues alters the world" thing though. The statues were living beings for an undefined people of time and I doubt the world constantly had massive tectonic shifts every time one of them moved here or there.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mega64 posted:

Jidoor's fine because it's a bunch of rich people.

The most real life accurate event in ff6

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the idea is that in some sense the statues were a pillar of reality. Keeping them in balance kept everything together but once they get moved around it starts messing with the fabric of reality, represented with the tectonic shifts.

That doesn't exactly gel with anything else in the story except that scene but I don't think the metaphysics of VI's world are particularly well thought out.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I thought it was just the huge amount of magic they put out, and the way they were positioned balances it out. Like on the floating continent you can see blue swirling going in between the statues and when they're moved it all goes nuts.

Edit: that's what the wiki says, maybe I'll look in the ultimania later.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 19, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think that's about it. they don't get too in depth about it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even the floating continent itself gets no explanation. Just gets a pass cause sky islands are cool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sky islands are cool though

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

I thought it was just the huge amount of magic they put out, and the way they were positioned balances it out. Like on the floating continent you can see blue swirling going in between the statues and when they're moved it all goes nuts.

Edit: that's what the wiki says, maybe I'll look in the ultimania later.

RIght, as I remember it their deal was they were warring gods and the battle between them and all their espers and magician servants almost destroyed the world, so they put themselves in basically an eternal detente, turning themselves into inanimate statues so nobody could back out of it and start the world destruction all over again. The power of any one of them would be contained by the power of the other two.

And then Kefka hosed up the feng shui and did what jesters always do: stumble into a delicate situation where nobody wants to act or say the wrong thing, and acts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I'll grant Caius but c'mon, Kefka did much more damage than Yu Yevon. Beyond killing so many people and bombarding entire settlements, moving landmasses around probably badly affected animal and plant life, plus i always got the impression that the land itself became sickly, WoR is very rocky wasteland and sickly yellow grass everywhere. So i imagine agriculture isn't doing so good as well.

Yes, he didn't stay active for as long but it's not hard to convince yourself that Kefka hosed civilization for centuries, maybe thousands of years with his stunts. Yu Yevon and Sin killed people but they never did that kind of damage to the land itself (Even the calm lands are very verdant)

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 19, 2022