Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I have no why Azov is tolerated. If I had to guess, no one in government wants to spend their time and money fighting Kolomoiskyi over a few hundred national guardsmen.

As for the language, Russian has regional language status in all areas where it’s spoken by 10% of the population, as I recall it.

I’d love to read more about this.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I have no why Azov is tolerated. If I had to guess, no one in government wants to spend their time and money fighting Kolomoiskyi over a few hundred national guardsmen.

As for the language, Russian has regional language status in all areas where it’s spoken by 10% of the population, as I recall it.

I’d love to read more about this.

Azovs bankrolled by a top oligarch. oligarch Igor Kolomoiskyis. Who basically is a result of Ukraine turning capitalist. The man is so rich he buys US real estate in the mid west as a way to expand his formerly ukrainian wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Maybe you should get better sources.

Maybe you should as you were apparently unaware of both the Crimean referendum and that Russia was an official language in Ukraine

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

This thread lost its drat mind overnight

every thread or post on the internet about important geopolitical events does this cyclically because the internet is important and real now, and it sucks

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Conspiratiorist posted:

I think it's starting.
https://twitter.com/oalexanderdk/status/1495169215980097542?s=21
https://mobile.twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1495122053116145667
This is a combat movement. Formation numbers obscured. It's most definitely started.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 20, 2022

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is a combat movement. Formation numbers obscured. It's most definitely started.

I'm asking completely honestly here. This isn't something that could be done while doing an exercise?

Edit: You changed the tweet? I was referring to the "Z"

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I hope Ukraine orders a general mobilization like, yesterday. They won't have much time to get boots to the front once Russia starts its sorties.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trump posted:

I'm asking completely honestly here. This isn't something that could be done while doing an exercise?

You'd cover them to mask troop counts and unit sizes. In exercise you want to know which units are where and when so you can effectively rub the exercise.

Could be happening.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Trump posted:

Nope.

https://mobile.twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1495172211002466311

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Why do the videos have a soundtrack?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I hope Ukraine orders a general mobilization like, yesterday. They won't have much time to get boots to the front once Russia starts its sorties.

If they do so publicly, Russia would probably just use it as the pretext to invade the remainder of Ukraine immediately. Theres still a chance for peace to prevail. They've been training territorial defense units in any case and lets not forget that a lot of the Ukrainian army is mobilized and in defensive positions because they literally are already at war with the separatist republics.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Minenfeld! posted:

They are tiktoks, OP.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Red and Black posted:

Russia was an official language in Ukraine

It never was an official language of independent Ukraine.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/eco_communist/status/1494523621620224000

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Paladinus posted:

They are tiktoks, OP.

I was really just hoping for confirmation that the tanks were blasting music.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It is against thread rules to deploy psychological weaponry that is WaPo TikTok. :colbert:

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It is against thread rules to deploy psychological weaponry that is WaPo TikTok. :colbert:

It atleast made myself laugh :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Melo posted:

It atleast made myself laugh :(

I’m there with you, I’m just complaining how loving dire it is, because I’ve, regrettably, seen several other pieces of their *cough* content.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This one post has been most distressing than the past weeks of rending psychological torture over a war looming next door.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Ukraine V Russia: Graphic warcrimes on pg 45

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""
Multiple explosions heard in centre of Donetsk: Reuters
""

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

OctaMurk posted:

If they do so publicly, Russia would probably just use it as the pretext to invade the remainder of Ukraine immediately. Theres still a chance for peace to prevail. They've been training territorial defense units in any case and lets not forget that a lot of the Ukrainian army is mobilized and in defensive positions because they literally are already at war with the separatist republics.

The problem is strategically Ukraine is extremely vulnerable; if intelligence presents a "Clear and Present Danger" of an imminent full scale invasion by 200,000 Russian Category A troops then those territorial defence units will be swept aside and it will be too late to mobilize; it's a "use it or lose it" situation and they need to push the button that says "Use it" or risk terms being dictated to them at the barrel of an Armati.

The Franco-Prussian War has showed us what happens when one modern nation mobilizes quickly and invades before the other nation can and it isn't pretty; as soon as you know the balloon is going up you gotta get people into uniforms, give them rifles and into trains immediately.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Why can't Russia invade the Washington Post?

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Minenfeld! posted:

Speaking for the first one, because KINO whips rear end.

Felt a real sense of melancholy watching that one

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Budzilla posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Budzilla posted:

Done.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
The Washington Post is no angel.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Democracy Dies in Dankness.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Red and Black posted:

Maybe you should as you were apparently unaware of both the Crimean referendum and that Russia was an official language in Ukraine

Man I wish the Gravel Institute would post a video saying you should stop posting poorly researched nonsense.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I hope that Ukraine dabs on the Russian military.

That's what I honestly think will have to happen for this to be a non question. They must utilize their aid. Ukraine has a professional army that is actually pretty well off. The force that defended donbass was not their best. They were mostly militia and some prog army units. But I'd think with what we know now, the Ukrainians we're right to keep the armed forces all over the country instead of centering up on the border.

More news:
""
Russia prepared places for displaced people in Krasnodar, Kursk, Voronezh, Belgorod, Moscow and Bryansk regions
""

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 20, 2022

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I hope that Ukraine dabs on the Russian military.

That's what I honestly think will have to happen for this to be a non question. They must utilize their aid. Ukraine has a professional army that is actually pretty well off. The force that defended donbass was not their best. They were mostly militia and some prog army units. But I'd think with what we know now, the Ukrainians we're right to keep the armed forces all over the country instead of centering up on the border.

there is zero way ukraine can stand up to russia. if there is an invasion, they'd be bombed into submission. and then the russian position in belarus is basically a knife at ukraine's throat, they can't resist in two places at once.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I'm scared about what happens when the world tries to stop a belligerent nuclear super power.

At some point do they just say "Ukraine is ours, and if you don't drop your sanctions, we're nuking an aircraft carrier?"

There are just so many ways this could spiral out of control.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

coelomate posted:

I'm scared about what happens when the world tries to stop a belligerent nuclear super power.

At some point do they just say "Ukraine is ours, and if you don't drop your sanctions, we're nuking an aircraft carrier?"

Russia's not going to nuke anyone over sanctions, calm down.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

coelomate posted:

There are many ways but I don't think threatening a nuclear strike against a specific target even if it is military would be a good negotiation tactic.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
please avoid Clancychat which I know is a vague umbrella term but let's not get into wild speculation about nuclear war and Russia invading the Baltics or whatever.

there's plenty to talk about that's grounded in factual reality and the situation on the ground

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Concerned Citizen posted:

there is zero way ukraine can stand up to russia. if there is an invasion, they'd be bombed into submission. and then the russian position in belarus is basically a knife at ukraine's throat, they can't resist in two places at once.

Ukraine is a huge country, and you can't occupy a country by bombing it. While I agree Ukraine will lose a military confrontation, they will inflict heavy casualties and it will draw out longer than Russia will be willing to accept.

Unless Russia can grap Kijev quicly, decapite the leadership and install someone Russia friendly that can legitimize a surrender.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Olympics are ending tomorrow. Men's ice hockey final is Finland v Russia. I recall Putin being a hockey fan, so we'll have to wait and see what his mood will be after the game.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

BigRoman posted:

Man I wish the Gravel Institute would post a video saying you should stop posting poorly researched nonsense.

It would be more productive to point out the specific nonsense (I believe the Paladinus post on the bottom of the last page addressed language status). If a user repeats claims that have already been well debunked or disproven in the thread, that is actionable, please report it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trump posted:

Ukraine is a huge country, and you can't occupy a country by bombing it. While I agree Ukraine will lose a military confrontation, they will inflict heavy casualties and it will draw out longer than Russia will be willing to accept.

Unless Russia can grap Kijev quicly, decapite the leadership and install someone Russia friendly that can legitimize a surrender.

Yeah, and even then, that pro-Russian leader would probably get overthrown pretty quickly, especially since any uprising would likely be funded and supplied by NATO. (I don't mean that as a slam against NATO; it's what I would do if I were trying to advance the alliance's interests) So if they're going to actually invade (and even now, I'm not convinced that they will), it's probably going to be another Georgia '08.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BoldFace posted:

Olympics are ending tomorrow. Men's ice hockey final is Finland v Russia. I recall Putin being a hockey fan, so we'll have to wait and see what his mood will be after the game.

No pressure, team Finland.