Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Captain Log posted:

Such glorious outrage.

How dare you touch me without your gloves, peasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Some good news on my farm today, Rose has gone broody! I gave her 7 eggs from a local Cream Legbar breeder :3:

I’m shocked she went broody right now, there’s been so much drama in the flock.

Drama: Probably because of the dog attack, Big Cheese decided he should be top roo and he attacked Clarence. Clarence lost and spent 2 days being bullied by Big Cheese. He wasn’t allowed to leave a corner of the yard and BC was not easing up at all. I decided Clarence is the keeper, and not Big Cheese, so my flock is down to 23: 13 hens, 8 pullets, 1 rooster, and 1 cockerel.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's official, TBD is a hen. Renaming her to GTC (General Tso's Chicken).

Closeup of the green egg.

Anybody have any ham?

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
what good girls!

colorful eggs are a lot of fun, I can't wait to see our October pullets start to lay

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nice!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

beautiful eggs

today is our first 4 egg day, because Pearl started laying. i caught her in the nest box right after she laid her egg. she looked dazed. i'm looking forward to Beans laying so we can have a 5 egg day

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'll have to remember to get a pic of our egg rainbow next time we have a good selection, the girls have been taking it easy with the cold and the early nights. Georgie briefly found a sure fire way out of the coop, clever little poo poo figured out how to worm her way under a loose bit of the fencing. She was pleased as punch until she realized she couldn't fit back in.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

City of Glompton posted:

beautiful eggs

today is our first 4 egg day, because Pearl started laying. i caught her in the nest box right after she laid her egg. she looked dazed. i'm looking forward to Beans laying so we can have a 5 egg day

we also have a Pearl! this is her on the right.

and congrats on the eggs, the different shades really give them character.

big Thank You to all the hard working ladies in their boxes/holes/"gently caress how did you even get the eggs in here?!?" locations

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

congrats to all the new egg layers

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

Aww, Gambel's Quail :neckbeard:

I'd always wondered if they made good pets. Apparently they do. Had a hard time deciding between those and bobwhites for pet quail. Probably going to end up with deely-bopper quail anyway.

There are bobwhites complaining in the background; Buddy made his feelings known: Very Upset.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
so much awful stuff happens to poultry in the world, this thread is an oasis of kindness and peace. thank you all for loving your birbs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

We lost one of our chickens to a hawk strike a few days ago. We have a lot of red-tail activity around here, but we also have a lot of squirrels and rabbits, and the chickens are good about staying under cover -- plant cover in the summer, and in the winter they hate the snow so they just say in the (covered) run 99% of the time, occasionally leaving for a few minutes to drink from the birdbath. So we've had chickens for a few years now without any trouble.

Well, it looks like they were out drinking when a Cooper's Hawk swooped down and attacked them; as best we can tell, it injured one of them and then chased her into the run on foot to finish her off, while two of the others fled into the coop and the last one fled across the yard to perch on top a rock in the middle of the snow and then stare vacantly into the distance. We came home to find the hawk sitting in the run eating.

When I went out to check on the chickens it (reluctantly) abandoned its kill, but it's come back every day since. We've been keeping the run closed, and the chickens seem to be content to stay not just in the run but in the coop for now.

From talking to friends with cooper's hawk experience, it sounds like it's mostly the young hawks that go for chickens, so it'll probably age out of it, but until it does it's going to be very interested in our yard and probably keep coming back regularly. I really hope it loses interest before spring, because once the snow melts the chickens will be ready to flip their poo poo if we have to keep them in the run all the time.

On the plus side, we have plans to build a new, larger coop in the spring, with a larger attached run, so maybe we can get that done before the chickens go completely nuclear?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m sorry to hear that. I caught a Cooper’s hawk barehanded last year and it was an odd experience. Something was wrong with it so I took it to a bird rescue and it apparently rehabilitated no problem. Didn’t get any of my chooks.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

that is one poignant-looking hawk

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 9, 2022

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We had a coopers hawk take out one of our chickens before. They are very aggressive! No issues with the red shoulders that nest on our property even eyeballing them.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

the only cooper's hawk who scoped out my birds was young and quite stupid about it

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
rest in peace, toxicfrog's chicken :( she died in battle so the rest of the flock could live, a valiant hen.
that sweet baby :qq: raptors have such lovely faces to me. small hawks and kestrels are just adorable. it makes them easy to forgive

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Sorry Toxicfrog :sympathy:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FalseKnees/status/1488262825512480769

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Lil' Pep is not too sure about her new apron

she's out with the flock and still has it on so maybe it will work? i hope so since her poor lil wings are bare :(

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

She is so precious :qq:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation

City of Glompton posted:

she's out with the flock and still has it on so maybe it will work? i hope so since her poor lil wings are bare :(
don't worry lil pep, you look amazing and they'll all be jealous

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

rest in peace, toxicfrog's chicken :( she died in battle so the rest of the flock could live, a valiant hen.

that sweet baby :qq: raptors have such lovely faces to me. small hawks and kestrels are just adorable. it makes them easy to forgive

I know! I love raptors to bits. It's just...we have so many rabbits and squirrels and rats and squirrels and more rabbits around here! Please leave my chickens alone!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation

ToxicFrog posted:

I know! I love raptors to bits. It's just...we have so many rabbits and squirrels and rats and squirrels and more rabbits around here! Please leave my chickens alone!
they're delightful :negative: it's the eternal battle between human and beast, trying to find a way to let them live peacefully in your area without encouraging them enough that they get comfortable and cause carnage.

i have two young ravens who are menacing my yard right now. one is more amenable to humans than the other. they've got surprisingly expressive faces with their big blue eyes - they'll both dive on my quail right in front of me, when i interrupt them the wild one goes :catstare: and the tamer one goes :kiddo:. it's so hard not to reward their bad behaviour just for being so cute.

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 16, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Completely different species but when I had a woodpecker constantly banging on my chimney I’d throw a tennis ball straight up in the air (far away from the bird) and it would leave.

Maybe we all need to take up juggling.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Corvids :kimchi:

We don't have ravens around here (there's a pair nesting downtown, but like, the fact that there's a pair nesting anywhere in the city is news) but we have a bunch of crows and hella bluejays. They don't bother the chickens, though.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

There is a bird flu outbreak. Please be safe if you are near it :(

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

City of Glompton posted:

Lil' Pep continues to be all kinds of adorable.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
The state of Georgia just said no poultry shows, swaps, sales due to bird flu. It was found in some wild ducks in the state.

I am ordering a pen for the ducks, and I will decide what to do about the chickens this weekend. I really hate penning them up, of course, but I lost most of my rabbits to rabbit disease last year and I really don’t want to lose my birds now. :cry:

This sucks.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

freeedr posted:

There is a bird flu outbreak. Please be safe if you are near it :(

Sorry to hear it's arrived in the US. We got it here in the UK in November last year.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Fauna has decided to be broody on the nest after a month of being half broody all day. If she’s on the nest one more day I will give her some eggs.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Storm Eunice has hit the UK, so the hens are sitting comfortably in the hall. They don't like the sound of the winds or our old conservatory roof banging.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Looks like we're getting some chickens, anybody have opinions on automatic doors, waterers, feeders?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Best feeder I've had is a Spiral Spring Feeder, you can get em cheap off ebay with or without attached bucket, and wild birds can't do anything with it. I tried the SUPER DUPER CHICKEN DRINKER which was a bucket with water nipples attached and they refused to drink until I gave them their regular bowl back.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Here's what I got:

Grandpa's Feeder
Homer bucket and Chicken Nipples
I bought a linear actuator and hooked it up to a smart plug to open and close the coop door, but it's rather complicated. Happy to go into more detail if you want.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

Here's what I got:

Grandpa's Feeder
Homer bucket and Chicken Nipples
I bought a linear actuator and hooked it up to a smart plug to open and close the coop door, but it's rather complicated. Happy to go into more detail if you want.

I'd be curious to know more, but smart plug sounds like it's connected to grid, which I probably can't do in my yard.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have a couple pullet shut doors. They are very substantial. (My large goats went through the door repeatedly and didn’t break it, but they did chew the wiring.) Mine have a daylight sensor and I have it open at daylight and shut 1/2 hour after sunset. It has a battery that I remove and charge in the house twice a year. You can also get a solar panel for it.

https://chickendoors.com

And I have 1 chicken guard opener with a home made door. It can be set to sunrise/sunset or on a time clock. It runs on AA batteries and I haven’t had to replace them in the month I’ve had it.

https://www.chickenguard.us/product/chickenguard-extreme/

I prefer the Pullet Shut because it feels more predator proof and there’s no chance of squishing a chicken but the chicken guard has more flexibility on settings.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Oh boy! I don't think my wife will be thrilled to spend $200 on a door, ha ha.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'd be curious to know more, but smart plug sounds like it's connected to grid, which I probably can't do in my yard.

Yep it's on grid. I ran an extension cable off a gci plug in Weatherproof outdoor plug box out to the coop. I also put WiFi cameras out there to watch the run gate and nesting boxes.

Basically I bought a 12v linear actuator, 2x120v to 12v power supplies a 8pin 12v relay, and a smart plug. I put it all in a weatherproof box. Smart plug is set to voice commands "Hey Google open|close the chicken coop" and also will open at sunup and 30min after sundown.

One 12v power provides power to the actuator (with reverse polarity on another pair of pins to close) and another acts as the trigger.

It's very complicated and if I designed the coop again I'd get one if the slider things like Joburg mentioned instead of an opening door, but it works pretty good for the coop design I have.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
As long as I'm here I might as well ask how people keep water from freezing.