Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
When MaoMao is suprised, she gets those Jack Kelly hands...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

I remember that mission in Earth Defense Force

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

haha what kooky and creative creature designs

there are some advantages to living in the anthropocene

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Ryuu to Yuusha to Haitatsunin

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Whats this?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

girls und panzer (ribbon warrior)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

haha what kooky and creative creature designs

there are some advantages to living in the anthropocene

Actually, those are mechanical designs! Joshi Kohei takes places in an alternate theoretical dimension where absolutely every weird thing can make sense. Such as piloting giant mechs that are actually Evangelion-like anatomically correct high school girls.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
sibling_guilt.png:

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

I thought I read somewhere that flails were never actually used as weapons and are basically fake.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Nebrilos posted:

I thought I read somewhere that flails were never actually used as weapons and are basically fake.

When it comes to weapons history, as always, that's people going too far in the other direction. It's true that some of the existing ones referred to as such were likely things like horse goads instead, but one-handed military flails definitely existed. They're too frequently depicted in art, and there's a couple of extant examples.

What we do know about them is that they were really rare, though. The larger two-handed varieties that were based on threshing flails were much more common.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

mdct posted:

When it comes to weapons history, as always, that's people going too far in the other direction. It's true that some of the existing ones referred to as such were likely things like horse goads instead, but one-handed military flails definitely existed. They're too frequently depicted in art, and there's a couple of extant examples.

What we do know about them is that they were really rare, though. The larger two-handed varieties that were based on threshing flails were much more common.
There's some interesting discussion about it in this article, second-to-last segment; results are pretty much as you said, though. Apparently scholars are still rather divided on the topic.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Most people don't want to see everyone using pointy sticks, which is what the reality would be.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: After Reuniting with my Childhood Friend, It Turned Out Both of Us had Become Tiddy Monsters

...honestly, I was just amused by the manga title itself.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Suleman posted:

...honestly, I was just amused by the manga title itself.
That accounts for a not-insubstantial amount of manga that I link.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That accounts for a not-insubstantial amount of manga that I link.

hell, same

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Source plz

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I feel like if you're gonna ride a talking dragon through the sky, then both of you are obligated by some unspoken univerasl law to be singing gangsta rap at top-volume the whole ride, and I mean with ALL of the words uncensored, even the really bad ones... but that's just me.

Like if you're not symbolically flipping off the whole earth in that situation then it's a wasted opportunity, and not in an okay way.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

This one is Exterminator which features a dude who's isekaied but still works in pest control.

It's bit too horny and too accepting of slavery to go into the wholesome thread, so be advised if those things bother you.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Shout out to the translator of Witch Watch, who probably had to do a lot of research about denim they will never use again for this one off chapter.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jiken Jaken!
If you can manage to ignore the fanservice, of which there is a bit too much, it's got some surprisingly good gags at times.
Haven't finished it yet though, so who knows where it ends up. I'll keep reading it for the gags unless the fanservice becomes too much.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That last sentence, drat.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:thejoke:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Reminder that Himitsu no Reptile is good and has good art

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

This manga has too many good panels.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Archer666 posted:

This manga has too many good panels.

yes. yes it does

Danberu anime season 2 when?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is that the dumbbells manga?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I. M. Gei posted:

yes. yes it does

Danberu anime season 2 when?

Sports failures are my favorite type of comedy

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is that the dumbbells manga?

It is. And there's plenty more panels where that came from. I've posted at least 5 or 6 other panels from there in this thread already and that's still just barely scratching the surface.

I actually found those two things while searching for another different thing.

EDIT: This thing.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 27, 2022

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

It's a pity I can only find four out of the nine chapters.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/87916ec3-c080-491c-bc37-a6912d2c29ac/1

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 27, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
really gotta make it a thread rule to link or name the thing you're posting panels from. yes I know I'm guilty of it too

also the loving hunter from jumanji is a hell of a pull

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Making the images clickable links that just go to the image rehosting site was especially cruel.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Captain Invictus posted:

really gotta make it a thread rule to link or name the thing you're posting panels from. yes I know I'm guilty of it too

also the loving hunter from jumanji is a hell of a pull

Imitation Crystal's chapters from these anthologies.

https://mangadex.org/title/72e989a1-9d8d-44f6-b8a6-1f2ff8b79d99/rakugaki-gakugeikai-2017

https://mangadex.org/title/32b281ae-98d0-4cdb-8152-d6f7798eca1e/rakugaki-gakugeikai-2019

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry. I've read this story a total of three times now. I know exactly what happens, so why does it still make me cry?

Source: Hotel, by Boichi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hotel is still among my all-time favorite short stories, even with the weird as poo poo names

I would absolutely love a big budget movie based on it