Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
it's.. unlikely.. that a flat floor has anything to do with your printer suddenly not maintaining level.

I have ~quite litterally~ picked up my printer and carried it around by the top bar. I happily move it around, and neve rhas moving it caused me to re-level it. (ender 3 pro..)

So, your post supposes that it's the printers geometry that's at fault, and that the surface it's on, is the cause of print failure. I can only answer ~that~.

Why don't you describe the print issues you're having, and the failures you're having. I think we'll get further with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
So ultimately I am no longer getting past the first layer. The first layer has large gaps between each extrusion path. This causes the first layer to not adhere and make a big ole booger on the hot end.

My z-offset is unchanged from my successful printing.
I did a few cold pulls, though I am not great at this.
I'm going to re-level the bed. But I would like to avoid re-leveling again.

What other things should I be looking at for coming out of level? Some wear items? I don't have all that many hours on the machine...

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

An appropriate response to reality

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

So ultimately I am no longer getting past the first layer. The first layer has large gaps between each extrusion path. This causes the first layer to not adhere and make a big ole booger on the hot end.

My z-offset is unchanged from my successful printing.
I did a few cold pulls, though I am not great at this.
I'm going to re-level the bed. But I would like to avoid re-leveling again.

What other things should I be looking at for coming out of level? Some wear items? I don't have all that many hours on the machine...

Definitely relevel using a test that fills most of the bed and includes some solid infill (all of Superslicer's tests are good). Glue or what have you will make it easier. Adjust while it's running and aim to get perfect adhesion with easy removal and mirror like fills with no defects with a 0 z offset just by using the knobs. When that's good you should never really have to fiddle with knobs (I've never had much trouble with even stock ender springs staying level). The only time you might gently caress it up is really prying off prints, which you should never have to do if you're level/zoffset is good. You may have to adjust z offset if you change nozzle size or filament type. If you're still having issues I guess the house is haunted.

Zedri Edfly fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 20, 2022

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

Talorat posted:

It is extremely funny how everything Prusa makes has to have “Developed by Joseph Prusa” on it but hey I guess when you have a reputation for quality you get the right to show it off.

I'm sure they're nice machines but I fuckin hate the egomania that's so deeply baked into the brand/aesthetic.

It would be fun as hell to troll boy genius, especially through rude STL remixes of his various idols to himself

Here's my "even more to love" remix of Jo's bust! Still learning how the blob tool works so excuse any odd face geometry. Also the whole thing needs supports now cuz of the tits. Sorry it's hard to read "Prusa" now that it kinda got lost in the rolls. Is there an "unblob tool"? Prusa slicer kept telling me the model is not manifold so I kept adding folds till it shut up.
*release includes 50 75mb terrible meshes with slight tit geometry variations*
*make picture is terribly printed and even blobbier than the STL but proudly states it was printed on the fanciest prusa with prusamint*
*Posts to thingiverse, thangs, cults, my mini factory when promptly banned from prusa repo*
:dumb:

Zedri Edfly fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 20, 2022

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Wait did they really ban you for uploading that? If so that's hilarious

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Could we not do personal attacks and body shaming in this thread? Thanks.

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

Theoritical personal attacks / body shaming on noted SA forums poster and 3d printing underdog Josif Pruscamints

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I don’t give a good goddamn whether someone posts on SA or is famous. This isn’t 2005 and this isn’t GBS.

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

Here's my first draft! The print failed because I think my prusamints were fake. It turns out that it didn't need supports and in fact the skin flap overhangs resulted in a cool pube stubble effect! Printing a bigger one now, will report back to harvest PrusaPoints.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is such a weird fuckin thread.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress even brought this up.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

withak posted:

Someone's personal grudge against a guy who makes printers, apparently

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
:stare:

Isn't this supposed to be one of the more chill forums?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

withak posted:

Some edgelord shitbird thinks we should give a poo poo about them trying to pick a personal fight on someone else's website and failing.

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

withak posted:

Just reading some recent (kind, civilized, inclusive) Prusa posts made me think about what's always annoyed me about him/the company's position in the scene. I don't know what happened in RepRap days but I'm assuming Prusa is a brilliant engineer and we're all benefiting off his research (for real).

He's also clearly an egomaniac and goes out of his way to plaster his dumb name and face on everything possible. My biggest real gripe is I feel he's to some extent muddling the open source nature of the hobby with egotism. The Slic3r/PrusaSlicer/SuperSlicer disparity is a the best example of this. I don't actually care that much but I think he's a doofus. Also, one time I had grant money lined up to buy a printer for a middle school science class and everyone said Prusas were the most reliable so I looked into it and there was like a 6 month lead time and lol if you think prusamints.com is a vendor that anyone would authorize an educational grant to without jumping through hoops. This is largely due to Josif Prusa reasons like insisting on 'farming' all the parts. Again, I don't care that much and just ended up printing poo poo for the class on an ender.

TLDR I'm a troll and I would have done the same for all the stl busts of Dr. Voron or Professor Cura Ultimaker but uhhhh....

edit: plus it's funny

Zedri Edfly fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 20, 2022

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Zedri Edfly posted:

edit: plus it's funny

Citation needed

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

Ego Trip posted:

Citation needed

My friend said 'lmao'

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Zedri Edfly posted:

I don't actually care that much

Calling bullshit on this right here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

okay well now you've done it and made me turn on my computer to type a longer reply.

Zedri Edfly posted:

I'm assuming Prusa is a brilliant engineer and we're all benefiting off his research (for real).

You're right but you're wrong. Prusa printers are some of the best-engineered printers out there, certainly. This does not mean they are the fastest, or have the fanciest parts, or can print the craziest materials, or any of that. They are well engineered because even a dummy who's never turned a screwdriver before can put the thing together from a box of parts, press a button, and have the machine print a plastic thingy with no complaints, and it will keep on doing that indefinitely. Achieving that level of friendliness and reliability takes a shitload of good engineering, which I think is a concept that gets lost in the more hackery sides of the community that focus entirely on how fast they can print a benchy or whatever.

However, Josef Prusa himself isn't the brilliant engineer. His original innovation was just taking the RepRap Mendel and making it a little cheaper and easier to set up by cutting the central frame out of sheet material. He should also get credit for plugging away at this one basic design and optimizing the hell out of it, rather than jumping from cartesian to delta to corexy to whatever, always chasing the hottest new thing. Prusa printers are not the most modern design but I would confidently say that they are the most bug-free design. That's good engineering. BUT -- all of this optimization has taken place over years, with dozens of engineers working for him. It's a group effort.

Zedri Edfly posted:

He's also clearly an egomaniac and goes out of his way to plaster his dumb name and face on everything possible.

Yeah, can't argue that. It's a harmless sort of egomania, but it is a little eye-rolling at times. In addition to the stickers of Prusa's face, the printers come with stickers of his dog, which I think is a much better mascot.

Zedri Edfly posted:

My biggest real gripe is I feel he's to some extent muddling the open source nature of the hobby with egotism. The Slic3r/PrusaSlicer/SuperSlicer disparity is a the best example of this.

This isn't muddling the ecosystem. It went like this:

- slic3r dates way back to the early days of desktop 3D printing, and the single developer wasn't keeping up with new developments, either because he was unable to or didn't want to or didn't care.
- Prusa wanted to bundle a slicer with their printer so that newbies wouldn't have to deal with software headaches, and they forked slic3r for whatever reason. (instead of Cura or KISSlicer or whatever).
- Since Prusa is a relatively large company with more resources than one guy doing it in his spare time, PrusaSlicer is now much better than slic3r. There's no reason to use plain slic3r anymore.
- Some people further forked PrusaSlicer into SuperSlicer because they wanted additional features. I still prefer PrusaSlicer because none of those extra features matter to me. Nor should they to the majority of printer users. It seems like the big SuperSlicer feature that people talk about is its ability to automatically generate calibration and leveling patterns, which -- surprise -- Prusa printers don't require.
- summary: Use PrusaSlicer if you just want things to work. Use SuperSlicer if you feel the need to read forum posts and hack around with things. 95% of people don't need it. I don't think this is especially confusing.

Zedri Edfly posted:

I don't actually care that much but I think he's a doofus.

okay

Zedri Edfly posted:

Also, one time I had grant money lined up to buy a printer for a middle school science class and everyone said Prusas were the most reliable so I looked into it and there was like a 6 month lead time and lol if you think prusamints.com is a vendor that anyone would authorize an educational grant to without jumping through hoops.

Don't exaggerate -- an i3 currently has about a 2-3 month lead time. And, like, just plan ahead? If you order at the beginning of the summer you'll have it in time for fall. This is a normal level of planning-ahead for the educational field. Also, I also work in education and I know how educational technology acquisition systems work. If I want something in my class this semester, I needed to start purchasing it at the beginning of the last one, if not earlier. That's just to get through all the paperwork for the grants and approvals and poo poo you're referring to.

When they announced the XL, which I want for our lab, I immediately put down $200 of my own money to reserve a place in line. There is absolutely no structure that allows us to place deposits or make preorders, and by the time our purchasing cycle rolls around and Prusa has a "buy now" button on the site, there will probably be a year of backorders. So I am counting on everything lining up so that when our purchasing cycle rolls around, the printer is officially for sale and we can get approved for the remaining $3300, hopefully get one before 2023, and then maybe I can go through enormous hoops to get my $200 refunded from the schol, or maybe I just eat it because it was never approved in the first place so they have no reason to pay me back. Or maybe I do get my money back by refunding it from Prusa because the school decides not to approve the purchase at all! Again, welcome to education.

Zedri Edfly posted:

This is largely due to Josif Prusa reasons like insisting on 'farming' all the parts.

This is still a totally reasonable move for a company at their scale. Printing the parts instead of molding them allows the company to make rapid adjustments to the design with essentially zero additional cost. If you look at Prusa parts you'll see a letter/number code designed into it somewhere -- this is the part revision. The constant revisions are a big part of why the machines are now so reliable, and if they were molding things, there is no way they could do that. Yes, this adds to lead time and cost -- but neither of those factors seem to be affecting their ability to sell every machine they make, either.

Compare this to the Ender 3, which has known weak points in e.g. the extruder arm and the fan duct. But, like, they already paid for the mold and they've got a contract for 100,000 extruder arms already so gently caress it. It's good enough.

Zedri Edfly posted:

Again, I don't care that much and just ended up printing poo poo for the class on an ender.

And yet it seems like you care....very much!!!

Zedri Edfly posted:

TLDR I'm a troll

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 20, 2022

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

Thanks for the first thoughtful reply. Like I said, I'm not much aware of the history but those were my impressions, so I do appreciate the lesson.

You touched on the other thing that bothers me, the usurpation of collaborative research / effort by a single personality. I don't think Musk is a fair comparison but it kinda reminds me of that.

I don't really care about using multiple slicers if I find out Prusa has some feature I want but I'm the nerd SuperSlicer is for I guess (for what it's worth, I downloaded some Voron profile by a github nerd and it just worked perfectly on an e3 with minimal fiddling.) It's always been unclear to me whether PrusaSlicer is "for" Prusa printers or not, but that explanation makes sense.

I don't know much about educational procurement and I should have done more legwork... but it was a "hey some nice flighty moneybags guy says he wants to buy a reliable 3d printer from a DonorsChoose source for the class!" situation and he lost interest. This was a couple years ago and I think the lead time was like 6 months but I can't say for sure. I am ultimately very glad I didn't inherit an unpaid job janitoring any middle school printer though.

My beefs are mainly unfounded I guess but the main thing is I intensely dislike that form of egomania and think it solicits haters (yeah yeah, trolling is egotistical in its own right).

Also, I didn't actually post any of these models anywhere but here and I thought the original post telegraphed that it was a SA poo poo post. I expected like a couple "lols" and maybe some minor Prusa bashing.

To ~prove~ that I'm not obsessed I'll drop it after this remark:

I've struggled with weight, associated bullying, etc. as much as any lard lad and I'm currently like exactly as fat as Prusa. I could prolly scrunch up my belly and chest to look exactly like that model, which I consider "a grotesque mockery of Prusa's ego" more than direct fat shaming. I would prolly also wear like 5 medium "There are many makers but only I am a printer" underarmors if I was posing with my arms crossed for PR shots/3D bust scans. "Top solid layer"

Zedri Edfly fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 20, 2022

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The 3d printing community is full of trash idiots who probably shouldn’t be trusted with 3d printers.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Dr. Despair posted:

The 3d printing community is full of trash idiots who probably shouldn’t be trusted with 3d printers.
And many of them have inexplicably become highly popular YouTubers.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

3D printing! I made this over the weekend, trying out some new skin tone filament. :c2b:

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

Lincolnstein posted:

3D printing! I made this over the weekend, trying out some new skin tone filament. :c2b:

Hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhaha great work, I love it.... what is it?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Lincolnstein posted:

Oooooohooo... You picked quite a time to post lumpy characters, my friend.

It's great though, love it

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Zedri Edfly posted:

You touched on the other thing that bothers me, the usurpation of collaborative research / effort by a single personality.

Love them or hate them, Prusa printers are still open source, so if you want you can go make a “your name here” and stick your face on it if you want. Do it better and bury the guy if that’s your thing, or bottom dollar a clone together and sell it on aliexpress.

I think this is most of/all you need.

https://github.com/prusa3d/Original-Prusa-i3/tree/MK3?files=1

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I managed to finally get a zero 2W kit and set up octopi. Took a bit more than a couple hours but I wanted to solder header pins, so I don't have to later.

It's super cool. Having a folder where I can stage the next print rather than having to play with the SD is very nice.

I should get a camera so I can do more than just monitor temp.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
My V0 is .. uh... complete? It's printed it's own tophat. It's printed a nevermore. It's got roughly 40 hours on the motion system. Next up, is tuning. Maybe a cereal request? I should print a bowl for that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Trip report with the Revo 6: Holy mother of god this thing smells like poo poo when it heats up the first time. Calibrating and doing a first print right now, so far so good. Just using the 0.4mm nozzle it came with for the first print, but I'm so pumped to try 0.25 and 0.8mm printing.

The hardest part of installation on my mk3s was the wiring. Hopefully with the quick-disconnect wires they provide I won't have to do that again.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I take back all I said about abs printing. All signs point to overextrusion (super slicer profile defaults to > 100% ?) As my parts don't work in critical dimensions. I'm not going to tune the printer for stuff it's not meant to print as I need one more part then I am done the voron.. I already have the motors moving and klipper getting tuned,. So I'll print good replacement parts on that

My wiring bay is a mess because I keep reorienting stuff. Once I have a final wire run ill clean and wrap it all and make it pretty.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Having an issue where a random layer will get weird. Here is a benchy showing it on the hull and then again on the cabin. It goes all the way around so the entire layer was affected. I found some stuff about the infamous benchy hull line but mine does not look like those photos and mine also repeated the problem on certain cabin layers as you can see so I don't think that is what is happening. Currently printing another to see if it shows up again in the same places. Any ideas I'm still pretty new at this?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

D-Pad posted:

Having an issue where a random layer will get weird. Here is a benchy showing it on the hull and then again on the cabin. It goes all the way around so the entire layer was affected. I found some stuff about the infamous benchy hull line but mine does not look like those photos and mine also repeated the problem on certain cabin layers as you can see so I don't think that is what is happening. Currently printing another to see if it shows up again in the same places. Any ideas I'm still pretty new at this?

I have had this issue with printing via USB (need to increase speed/buffer) and when the nozzle has been clogged partially.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I got some TPU and have had no trouble so far printing it w/ a bowden tube at 15mm/s with superslicer's default TPU filament settings. I had the idea to hack out a non slip sock for my new bong, and it's not quite silicone and it's a little stringy but I'm really happy with how it turned out on the first try & I think it'll work exactly as imagined.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 22, 2022

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

poverty goat posted:

I got some TPU

Hell yes. I definitely want to try out tpu soon and given that my studio is also my 3d print and weed room, this all tracks.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Anybody have a good reference for Klipper tuning with an Ender 3 Pro w/ CR (or BL) Touch? I've got Klipper/KlipperScreen/Fluidd/Octoprint working together just fine, but the settings definitely need tweaking across my Klipper, SuperrSlicer, and Cura.

Any advice would be appreciated.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So looking at the Mars 3 and reading that there is/was a big kerfuffle about it being locked to Chitu, but that maybe it will change/was changed? I'm guessing based on the age of all the stuff I read that it has changed because there's mountains of media about it being a thing at the time of release and then just kind general silence on the topic afterwards.

Assuming that's not a problem I've got the Mars 3, screen protector and some kapton tape, resin, PPE and the 2 in 1 Elegoo wash/cure station in an Amazon cart. Anything obvious I'm missing? Will be hitting up Lowe's for some plexiglass, 2x2's, dryer vent hose and probably foam/foil insulation boards to build an enclosure for fume venting once I have the stations to layout and get some dimensions.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

As far as I know that hasn't changed and one of the reasons I didn't go with Elegoo.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Gay Retard posted:

Anybody have a good reference for Klipper tuning with an Ender 3 Pro w/ CR (or BL) Touch? I've got Klipper/KlipperScreen/Fluidd/Octoprint working together just fine, but the settings definitely need tweaking across my Klipper, SuperrSlicer, and Cura.

Are you looking to getting your prints consistent, or just eek out that little bit of niceness with PA and other settings ?

This has been my goto for both. Its for vorons, but the methods and all of the logic is applicable to any printer and slicer :
https://github.com/AndrewEllis93/Print-Tuning-Guide

Why both cura and superslicer ?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

bird food bathtub posted:

So looking at the Mars 3 and reading that there is/was a big kerfuffle about it being locked to Chitu, but that maybe it will change/was changed? I'm guessing based on the age of all the stuff I read that it has changed because there's mountains of media about it being a thing at the time of release and then just kind general silence on the topic afterwards.

Assuming that's not a problem I've got the Mars 3, screen protector and some kapton tape, resin, PPE and the 2 in 1 Elegoo wash/cure station in an Amazon cart. Anything obvious I'm missing? Will be hitting up Lowe's for some plexiglass, 2x2's, dryer vent hose and probably foam/foil insulation boards to build an enclosure for fume venting once I have the stations to layout and get some dimensions.

Last I heard Chitu had made their API available to other software manufacturers so you're not locked into their software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

Gay Retard posted:

Congrats on using God's own printer, E3 Pro, with God's own firmware, Klipper, with God's own slicer, SuperSlicer, with God's own webUI, Fluidd!
(FWIW I've never felt the need to run Octo on top of Fluidd and there's some posts by Klipper guys that say it can overwhelm the PI and make you lose steps or something - anyway, I think it's semi-officially not recommended)

I've posted about E3 Klipper poo poo (among other topics) extensively in recent weeks, see post history.

Also, your name is very mean and nastayy. NOT NICE!!!!!

Zedri Edfly fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 22, 2022