Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Thank god for semantics lord knows what else we'd post about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rodiel posted:

Ukraine is a pawn. Focusing on Russia is dumb, maybe they thought that the west was a better master but it seams like their leadership at least is realizing they made a deal with the devil. The actual people that have to live and work there are hosed for a long long time.
A pawn of whom?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ukraine was already deterred from attacking Donbass with a force less than half this size in the past. If you could recognize and guarantee their independence with 50~60 BTGs, so why deploy >110?

Ukraine is not the one that needs to be deterred.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Nessus posted:

A pawn of whom?

The US and Russia? Its really hard for me to really think anyone is this stupid

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Rodiel posted:

Pawns usually have sides

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rodiel posted:

Like you mean this is intended to be a proxy war between the US and Russia? I am tuning in fairly recently here.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

CommieGIR posted:

Ukraine is not the one that needs to be deterred.

Right, be pedantic.

What I mean is that Russia has amassed a beyond excessive display of force if their goal was limited to guaranteeing the DPR/LPR up to the current LOC, which I believe is something we're both in agreement with.

Also...

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1495871742014861319
let it be a drone, let it be a drone, let it be a drone

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I’m confused. I was assured that I was being gaslit by the CIA and that Russia would never invade sovereign Ukraine?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Majority of people actively posting here read Russian just fine. That said, since "translate tweet" button is on holiday, here's the short content of each document (identical copies for LNR and DNR):

1. recognize them as a sovereign nation
2. establish diplomatic relationships
3. establish a cooperation agreement
4. send in the army to support peace until (3) is done
5. effective now

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this synopsis. I'm a monolingual American (enough Spanish to travel notwithstanding), but getting information from primary sources is nice.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Conspiratiorist posted:

Right, be pedantic.

What I mean is that this is Russia has amassed a beyond excessive display of force if their goal was limited to guaranteeing the DPR/LPR up to the current LOC, which I believe is something we're both in agreement with.

Also...

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1495871742014861319
let it be a drone, let it be a drone, let it be a drone

this source aint great

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

feels like the obvious next escalation is demanding that ukr forces cease their occupation of
the newly independent republics and withdraw behind some arbitary line much closer to the dnieper

good luck to everyone in Ukraine

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FishBulbia posted:

this source aint great

How so?

brakeless posted:

feels like the obvious next escalation is demanding that ukr forces cease their occupation of
the newly independent republics and withdraw behind some arbitary line much closer to the dnieper

Agreed. They probably want the entirety of the Donbass oblast. Now, we'll see if they try that through force, but they are apparently moving a lot of 'peacekeeper' in place.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

brakeless posted:

I also expect this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Can I suggest that instead of a toxx ban the loser instead donate $10 to Médecins Sans Frontières or something similar? Which would be a little less grim.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

For anyone who cares about the fakes, the burning APC story is being suggested to have been a modernized BTR-70, Russian variant.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

CommieGIR posted:

How so?

Agreed. They probably want the entirety of the Donbass oblast. Now, we'll see if they try that through force, but they are apparently moving a lot of 'peacekeeper' in place.

well, it seems to be based in the US, and I feel like in a volatile situation like this, sources closer to Ukraine are generally a better idea. they seem to have also joined twitter last november, so not really any established source. it looks like a random twitter poster trying to look more important than they are

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

They're just a kinda unreliable OSINT tweep.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This was a great site for keeping track of the war in Syria-- a map that was being constantly updated with incidents and territorial changes. It has a section for Ukraine. Does anyone know if it's any good?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so this probably means that nord stream 2 is gone, doesn't it? big sacrifice for not a lot of gain

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

V. Illych L. posted:

big sacrifice for not a lot of gain
this is the tl;dr of the entire thread frankly

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

brakeless posted:

supposedly they're only recognizing the de facto borders for now, but we'll see

https://twitter.com/JakeCordell/status/1495857833107243010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For anyone who cares about the fakes, the burning APC story is being suggested to have been a modernized BTR-70, Russian variant.

I was wondering about that, I mean not like Russia doesn't have an abundance of APCs laying around to stage with.

FishBulbia posted:

They're just a kinda unreliable OSINT tweep.

Ah, okay, that's fine. Yeah I'm waiting on any other confirmation as well.

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts and what units Russia rolls in with. Assuming they are serious about this, then nothing happens, but even then assuming that, there'd be little reason to move in a lot of Russian units or evacuate civilians.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 21, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

so this probably means that nord stream 2 is gone, doesn't it? big sacrifice for not a lot of gain

I guess? It never even came online. It will be politically difficult for Germany to go ahead with it.

But fuel prices are likely going to spike upwards just based on Putin's speech, never mind actual shooting that may happen. Citizens in Germany and Europe will have their political views but not freezing in the winter is likely going to trump those. I wouldn't totally write of NordStream2 just yet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

This was a great site for keeping track of the war in Syria-- a map that was being constantly updated with incidents and territorial changes. It has a section for Ukraine. Does anyone know if it's any good?

It was launched by Ukrainians in 2014, as far as I recall it. Even if I'm misremembering that, it's quite good to stay up to speed with military incidents in Ukraine. A slightly slower, more filtered, feed is available over on Kyiv Independent's website.

Flavahbeast posted:

This is very bizarre (so far). In this scenario, they literally gain nothing and just expose themselves to economic punches.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

This is me being pessimistic, but once the initial condemnation around the conflict dies down, I fully expect the Germans to activate it.

They haven’t been huge fans of doing anything that even slightly inconveniences them or hurts their economy.

Cough Eurocrisis Cough

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

I'm guessing the pipeline only goes if Russia seizes more territory they didn't already occupy, with bigtime loss of life (which is still pretty likely imo)

leaving things like this would drive a wedge between the US and Germany on the issue though, and Biden was facing gop pressure to sanction the pipeline even before all this went down

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I guess? It never even came online. It will be politically difficult for Germany to go ahead with it.

But fuel prices are likely going to spike upwards just based on Putin's speech, never mind actual shooting that may happen. Citizens in Germany and Europe will have their political views but not freezing in the winter is likely going to trump those. I wouldn't totally write of NordStream2 just yet.

We have enough for this winter, and EU government did just recently cancel a regulatory probe into Qatar gas market crimes for reasons totally unrelated to the "geopolitical situation".

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Give us the [parts of the] Sudetenland [that we already control].

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1495877460944203777?s=20&t=HHhb0vcFaEjb0SunyE9Z_A

Footage of Russian troops being bussed in to Donbas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb_3FT5DgEo&t=4s

The Buzzer stopped buzzing and transmitted a code for the first time I can ever remember hearing

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jarmak posted:

Because ignoring direct replacements if you commit new military formations to an invasion it's a new, additional, invasion.

D-Day was a new invasion of Europe, despite the allies having already landed at Anzio. When we invaded the Arghandab River Valley in 2011 that was a new invasion despite being in a country we had invaded and occupied a decade prior.

When your troops enter a place that is ostensibly controlled by another party, uninvited, we call that an invasion. If you do it again it's still an invasion.

I don't think adding additional troops to an area you have de facto held for years counts as a new invasion, no. Your D-Day analogy doesn't seem to apply at all, because that was invading an area held by the Nazis.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 21, 2022

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Count Roland posted:

weird thing is that it was ready, and without an excuse it's unclear how long they could've delayed it. it seems as though the russians would've had a much stronger hand had they waited it out, but maybe they felt that the present energy price situation strengthened their position. it really is unclear to me what the russians were expecting here - NATO has never been terribly interested in compromises, and they haven't exactly made things easy for zelenskij even if he'd wanted to play ball. or maybe this whole thing just spun out of control.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Long and short, here's what I'm estimating:

- This doesn't just stop at DNR/LNR, Russia already had those. This is seeking some sort of provocation. Russia is seeking to gain something by doing this, and they have not really gained anything yet
- The peacekeeping force is going to either try to draw in Ukrainian forces into a stalemate or provoke them into something or keep them occupied.

Either way, I do not think this is going to get better.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

CommieGIR posted:

Long and short, here's what I'm estimating:

- This doesn't just stop at DNR/LNR, Russia already had those. This is seeking some sort of provocation. Russia is seeking to gain something by doing this, and they have not really gained anything yet
- The peacekeeping force is going to either try to draw in Ukrainian forces into a stalemate or provoke them into something or keep them occupied.

Either way, I do not think this is going to get better.

the tea leaves here are hard to read - this could be positioning ahead of the summit they've been muttering about with the americans, or it could be a face-saving display for the home front. but yeah it's a major escalation and they must have *some* plan with it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

weird thing is that it was ready, and without an excuse it's unclear how long they could've delayed it. it seems as though the russians would've had a much stronger hand had they waited it out, but maybe they felt that the present energy price situation strengthened their position. it really is unclear to me what the russians were expecting here - NATO has never been terribly interested in compromises, and they haven't exactly made things easy for zelenskij even if he'd wanted to play ball. or maybe this whole thing just spun out of control.
My own impression is that Putin smoked himself stupid thinking he would surely get the West to walk down and maybe authorize him to carve off the chunks he's moving troops into now and for once this didn't happen, and there's no actual plan on what to do in this case on his part.

I can certainly understand having a poor estimate of American foreign policy resolve but it was the last guy he was on good terms with.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't think adding new troops to an area you have de-facto held for years counts as a new invasion, no. Your D-Day analogy doesn't seem to apply at all, because that was invading an area previously held by the Nazis.

The fact is we are closer to a major global war right this second with Putin’s move from covert occupation of Eastern Ukraine to overt occupation of Eastern Ukraine than we have been since probably the 1960s.

Furthermore, the language of Putin’s speech today names all of the Ukraine, in so many words, as rightfully Russian.

Rather than a d-day analogy I think it’s closer to German reoccupation of the Rheinland and Hitler’s language about “Greater Germany” than anything.

And while I don’t expect nuclear war to engulf the world, it would be pretty remiss of us to ignore what is happening right now, or to not contemplate how in July of 1914, no major European power thought they were standing on the precipice of the congratulation that was the First World War.

So, by all means, do not spread panic or fear monger, but do not pretend this “situation” did not just become orders of magnitude more serious than it was this morning.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nessus posted:

My own impression is that Putin smoked himself stupid thinking he would surely get the West to walk down and maybe authorize him to carve off the chunks he's moving troops into now and for once this didn't happen, and there's no actual plan on what to do in this case on his part.

I can certainly understand having a poor estimate of American foreign policy resolve but it was the last guy he was on good terms with.

Haven't seen the West do anything beside vaguely wag their fingers.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nessus posted:

sergei lavrov is a very well respected diplomat who's widely considered one of the sharpest foreign policy minds active in geopolitics these days. this seems like a huge miscalculation for someone with that reputation. it also seems contrary to the russians' generally prudent* military policy previously

on the track of the energy crisis, they may feel their position slipping as the weather gets warmer and energy prices go down. if this is the case then they're on a timer.

*they've been intervening and flexing, but they have been pretty careful not to overextend or to do really dumb stuff. this kind of mission creep is pretty uncharacteristic of their recent history

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I thought Zelensky was supposed to speak tonight, as of about an hour ago. I wonder if that's still happening.

Officially cancelled just now, apparently.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Nessus posted:

Remind me of what happened in Crimea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

The fact is we are closer to a major global war right this second with Putin’s move from covert occupation of Eastern Ukraine to overt occupation of Eastern Ukraine than we have been since probably the 1960s.

Furthermore, the language of Putin’s speech today names all of the Ukraine, in so many words, as rightfully Russian.

Rather than a d-day analogy I think it’s closer to German reoccupation of the Rheinland and Hitler’s language about “Greater Germany” than anything.

And while I don’t expect nuclear war to engulf the world, it would be pretty remiss of us to ignore what is happening right now, or to not contemplate how in July of 1914, no major European power thought they were standing on the precipice of the congratulation that was the First World War.

So, by all means, do not spread panic or fear monger, but do not pretend this “situation” did not just become orders of magnitude more serious than it was this morning.

Russia could invade Ukraine tomorrow and NATO, EU, and US would do nothing. There's no path to global war out of this. Other than sanctions and 'wagging of fingers' nobody is going to move any units to defend Ukraine.