Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Rinkles posted:

just fyi this appears to be a bad translation.

from Reuters

"As a result of Bolshevik policy, Soviet Ukraine arose, which even today can with good reason be called 'Vladimir Ilyich Lenin's Ukraine'. He is its author and architect. This is fully confirmed by archive documents ... And now grateful descendants have demolished monuments to Lenin in Ukraine. This is what they call decommunisation. Do you want decommunisation? Well, that suits us just fine. But it is unnecessary, as they say, to stop halfway. We are ready to show you what real decommunisation means for Ukraine."

tbf same message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You are correct-ish.

Looking at this before my first cup of coffee, I got stuck on the word GUAM for about 10 minutes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

vindman's family is ukranian, he means a hot war in ukraine, not a hot war necessarily with the US

I wouldn’t interpret “a hot war in Ukraine” as semantic opposite of “a [global] New Cold War”, but that read would make much more sense.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Conspiratiorist posted:

tbf same message.

I don't agree. The first makes him sound like a proponent of decommunisation, while the proper translation/context makes clear he was mocking Ukraine's efforts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I don't agree. The first makes him sound like a proponent of decommunisation, while the proper translation/context makes clear he was mocking Ukraine's efforts.

I would personally read the first one like that, but I admit that with him, much like any other Russian speech in English, I reverse translate it to Russian before absorbing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I love the historical allusion that Ukraine was Lenin's fallacy when Ukrainian nationalists went to Brest-Litovsk, much to his chagrin.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Only if you don't read the last sentence.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Rinkles posted:

Ah, I see what you mean.

It's still a threat though - he's talking about dismantling Ukraine.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I wouldn’t interpret “a hot war in Ukraine” as semantic opposite of “a [global] New Cold War”, but that read would make much more sense.

oh yeah, I just mean that I think he's speaking from a more personal perspective than from any kind of official perspective. I'd agree that at this point you probably just get both, sooner or later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ah, I see what you mean.

It's still a threat though - he's talking about dismantling Ukraine.

I mean duh, I just didn't expect him to say "We like We like Decommunization".

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1495916564272590852?s=20&t=P7LwMezpqaY7p4a2_Ye_gw

Really can't express how surreal this feels with having friends in Ukraine. I also get sad thinking about all my students who are either in Slovakia or czechia for school or in Kyiv.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1230998887298564096

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

IMO Biden has been doing alright. Leaking Putin's every move and rallying Europe is about all you can do until he crosses the line.

Today it feels like we came close to 100% certainty the line will be crossed, soon, but... until then, what more would you expect of the U.S.?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This does check out, I guess. As far as we can tell, US did only ever entertain admin stuff like arms control, in this discourse.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
With all the push to head east; maybe a buffer/NFZ is one of the options their weighing?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

UN Security Council meeting came together fast, starts in an hour:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1495921121979469829

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/ignis_fatum/status/1495923250534223880
Still not the Fire Preparation stage but fighting appears to have picked back up.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1495915929074606089

Downplayed every escalation and played right into each disinformation episode until it was an emergency. Wonderful.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 22, 2022

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/1495926609194500104

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

freeasinbeer posted:

With all the push to head east; maybe a buffer/NFZ is one of the options their weighing?

Potentially, the question is: Where then?

I've highlighted all major urban areas of Ukraine - if this ends up expanding beyond areas currently under Russian control, they'd have to do several times more urban warfare (going by city population) than in the sum of wars Russia has seen since the fall of the USSR.

And they're not good at urban warfare to begin with.

If we zoom in:

Teal and pink is what they can probably get "easily", since they would "only" need Mariupol' and half of Zaporizhya, but at that point the entire planet is sanctioning you potentially, and you've gotten yourself precisely gently caress all, besides water supply for Crimea.

I don't belive Russian strategic planners would like this trade either, but what will they do remains to be seen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't belive Russian strategic planners would like this trade either, but what will they do remains to be seen.

What the Russian strategic planners would like and what Putin seems to want are apparently two different things.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Teal and pink is what they can probably get "easily", since they would "only" need Mariupol' and half of Zaporizhya, but at that point the entire planet is sanctioning you potentially, and you've gotten yourself precisely gently caress all, besides water supply for Crimea.

The pink line in particular has been my guess as to where this is going, while I'm agnostic about the teal line and think the extent of a territorial incursion in the event of a major invasion will be partially up to when Ukraine cries uncle. I don't think Russia intends to occupy anything approaching the whole country, or even just the eastern half, but punching hard enough to break Ukraine's will to resist and impose whatever conditions Russia likes as a condition for peace might be the plan, whether Ukraine plays along or not.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1495930277469769729

What is the strategic advantage of having Zelensky retreat from the capital?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Count Roland posted:

Since when is Putin anti-communist? Didn't he famously say the collapse of the USSR was one of the great tragedies of history?

I mean, dude's massively wealthy and runs a country full of oligarchs and poverty.

He's certainly not anti-capitalist.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

The pink line in particular has been my guess as to where this is going, while I'm agnostic about the teal line and think the extent of a territorial incursion in the event of a major invasion will be partially up to when Ukraine cries uncle. I don't think Russia intends to occupy anything approaching the whole country, or even just the eastern half, but punching hard enough to break Ukraine's will to resist and impose whatever conditions Russia likes as a condition for peace might be the plan, whether Ukraine plays along or not.

I agree with that - pink link is the minimum viable expansion of land conquest that makes it at least somewhat worth their effort. If that goes through, it's a reasonably safe guess to expect problems elsewhere - cyberwarfare, diversions, air sorties, who knows what else.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BoldFace posted:

Harder to throw out a window the farther he is from Russian troops.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

When I was looking at a map earlier I figured pink made some sense, though I didn't know how Zaporizhya would factor in. Sticking to the coast makes a lot of sense for easier support.

I don't know what Russia would even do with Kiev if it decided to take it.

BoldFace posted:

Not getting killed?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/mj_lee/status/1495892464053501953

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Willo567 posted:

Sorry if this was asked before, but since Russia is trying to improve it's strategic relationship with Cuba, how likely is it that they place missiles in Cuba and we get a repeat of the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Not likely as you can hit anywhere in the US from a submarine these days.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

When I was looking at a map earlier I figured pink made some sense, though I didn't know how Zaporizhya would factor in. Sticking to the coast makes a lot of sense for easier support.
I was just charting around oblasts' borders. Not going to Zaporizhya would be only logical if they just want a Crimea land bridge with water supply to the peninsula, since Mariupol' could be plenty already - it is a fortified frontline city with a half a million people. Zaporizhya is almost twice larger.

Count Roland posted:

I don't know what Russia would even do with Kiev if it decided to take it.
Given the speech, hunting down people on their list of "undesirables".

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Potentially, the question is: Where then?

I've highlighted all major urban areas of Ukraine - if this ends up expanding beyond areas currently under Russian control, they'd have to do several times more urban warfare (going by city population) than in the sum of wars Russia has seen since the fall of the USSR.

And they're not good at urban warfare to begin with.

If we zoom in:

I’m not really thinking the limits of Russian advances, more-so if you start air strike-ing past this are around Lviv, where NATO will shoot you down. Something to what Turkey did in N. Syria.

Basically a place for the Ukrainian government to hang out and not get decapitated.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

freeasinbeer posted:

I’m not really thinking the limits of Russian advances, more-so if you start air strike-ing past this are around Lviv, where NATO will shoot you down. Something to what Turkey did in N. Syria.

Basically a place for the Ukrainian government to hang out and not get decapitated.

NATO won't shoot down anything over Ukrainian territory, and Turkey doesn't shoot down planes for flying in northern Syria either. Turkey shot down one plane that briefly flew into Turkish airspace, and later apologized for it, partially because everyone else in NATO was like wtf do you think you're doing? Even when Russians straight up bombed Turkish military in Syria, Turkey just ended up taking it out on the Syrian government forces.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

freeasinbeer posted:

Oh, like that. Realistically yes, if only Lviv. NATO wouldn't shoot anyone, but NATO SIGINT could potentially give the government a room to breathe out.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Majorian posted:

I acknowledge that I inserted the word "concentration" because that is what the letter clearly is meant to imply.

But that is still not what the letter is claiming. The letter strongly suggests that Russia intends to occupy a significant portion of Ukraine (because it seems incredibly unlikely that Russian and Belarussian dissidents in exile are finding refuge in the Russian-sponsored breakaway regions), and outright claims that there is a very real, very literal list of LGBTQ+ people and dissidents to either kill or ship off to camps. The suggestion that Russia intends to invade and occupy more than just the Donbas is already a significant stretch that needs substantiation, and yet there is none to be found anywhere.

bolding mine
Why would you think this was false? Putin's Russia (and it is Putin's Russia, clearly, whatever the oligarchs think) hates LGBT people with a passion because he's a deeply patriarchal authoritarian.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

freeasinbeer posted:

As always bears repeating, the actions of NATO members doesn't immediately = NATO actions.
Super especially in the case of Turkey.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

bolding mine
Why would you think this was false? Putin's Russia (and it is Putin's Russia, clearly, whatever the oligarchs think) hates LGBT people with a passion because he's a deeply patriarchal authoritarian.

Almost every country hated gay people until very recently, but most didn't start rounding them up and exterminating them like Nazi Germany, and Russia isn't going to either.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Not getting killed?

If this was Chess, then, yes, that would be important. But what kind of a signal does it send to the Ukrainian military if their commander already starts to retreat to the west?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Sinteres posted:

Almost every country hated gay people until very recently, but most didn't start rounding them up and exterminating them like Nazi Germany, and Russia isn't going to either.

*looks sidelong at Chechnya*

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Just FYI for everyone worried about the weakness of western sanctions being discussed: my read of the situation is that they hit the hard stuff if Russian hardware moves on the current line of conflict. If western sanctions are fully committed now, no further credible deterrent to keep Putin from grabbing all of Donetsk and / or the coast to Crimea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sinteres posted:

they do that already? have you not been paying attention to what the various putinista groups do to people who are queer in Russia or do you not think it's happening or what? it's state policy that it's open season on lgbt people, that it's inherently anti-russian