Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Paracausal posted:

Yes? Doesn't mean you can't be happy about the reality that Russia is about to enact a brutal a bloody occupation? I just hope Ukraine makes Putin bleed.

Russian blood would be paid for with Ukrainian blood and that's a rotten trade any which way you look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Russian blood would be paid for with Ukrainian blood and that's a rotten trade any which way you look at it.

We'll it's lucky the Ukrainians have a choice!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Well I hope they don't choose too hard because I've seen what Russian thermobarics do.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""
Russia has thrown out the diplomatic playbook for peace in Ukraine with recognition of breakaway regions, top U.S. diplomat to United Nations tells Security Council. "Today, President Putin has torn the Minsk agreements to shreds," Amb. Linda Thomas-Greenfield said
""

""
WH spokesperson: "We plan to announce new sanctions on Russia tomorrow (Tuesday) in response to Moscow's decisions and actions today. We are coordinating with allies and partners on that announcement
""

Can we get a Biden Photoshop of the "sanctions are coming" with Putin going "I will resist you"

Hoping Putin is also stabbed with an obsidian blade.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bashez posted:

Didn't we already punt on the issue when a move from advisors to troops was the explicit trigger and we said we'd decide later?

It's actually really interesting to see such a low stakes issue get waffled on to avoid upsetting some people while a major crisis unfolds with the same dynamic in the west trying to not step on anyone's toes until necessary.

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. I should probably just go to bed, since it’s almost 5am.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Paracausal posted:

Yes? Doesn't mean you can't be happy about the reality that Russia is about to enact a brutal a bloody occupation? I just hope Ukraine makes Putin bleed.

I for one would be happy if people didn't have to die to appease Putin's anachronistic idea of what should constitute a Russian sphere of influence in the year 2022.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Kenya's UNSC speech is actually really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMfmwMp2yk&t=2934s

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 22, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Very.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Great speech by Kenyan speaker here, https://twitter.com/AmbMKimani.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I was just thinking the same thing. Calling out Russia for being stuck in it's imperial past and if anyone would know a thing or 2 about being the victim of imperialism it's Kenya (and all of Africa in general).

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I missed it, is there a way to go back and watch?

Edit:
1:14:07 I think
https://youtu.be/oRP3OC1EoN0

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 22, 2022

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

DeadlyMuffin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMfmwMp2yk

Currently -17 minutes or so from present, YT doesn't do timestamps while it's still live I guess.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I believe it will be archived and available from the same site; at a minimum, transcripts will be available.

e:f;b. Ireland was the previous speaker, if that helps.

edit 2: Lmao, so weird to see China issue a nonstatement; they love to go full bloodcurdle.

edit 3: by which I mean even more so than the opposite-of-reality coming from Russia rn.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 22, 2022

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

every african nation speaking has come out strongly in support of ukraine and condemned russia's actions

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

"Not our problem CHINA NUMBER 1" *drops mic*

I didn't expect much but they beat my expectations, drat.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Russian rep is speaking now https://media.un.org/en/webtv

Making justifications for recognizing the breakaway republics.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I believe it will be archived and available from the same site; at a minimum, transcripts will be available.

e:f;b. Ireland was the previous speaker, if that helps.

edit 2: Lmao, so weird to see China issue a nonstatement; they love to go full bloodcurdle.

edit 3: by which I mean even more so than the opposite-of-reality coming from Russia rn.

China was never going to outright condemn Russia or give a green light to encouraging separatism, so that's exactly what I'd expect them to do in that position.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

coelomate posted:

UN Security Council meeting came together fast, starts in an hour:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1495921121979469829

Wake me up when they cut off access to the London real estate market

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
If this turns into full blown shooting I hope the bloodshed is minimal and it's over quickly. Modern warfare is horrible and dehumanizing. Being killed without hope by remorseless robots fired from 50 miles away is a terrible way to die. Armenia and Azerbaijan was awful. Syria is awful it's all awful.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
This is a lot to summarize but basically the Russian rep is blaming Ukrainian aggression for this move and vowing Russia will protect the breakaway republics.

Ukraine speaking now.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Ukrainian representative is speaking.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMfmwMp2yk

Currently -17 minutes or so from present, YT doesn't do timestamps while it's still live I guess.

That worked thank you. Excellent speech.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

celewign posted:

If this turns into full blown shooting I hope the bloodshed is minimal and it's over quickly. Modern warfare is horrible and dehumanizing. Being killed without hope by remorseless robots fired from 50 miles away is a terrible way to die. Armenia and Azerbaijan was awful. Syria is awful it's all awful.

Let me tell you, previous eras of warfare were not less horrible and dehumanizing.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

putin does speaks about the soviet era in a sentimental way sometimes (eg the famous 'anyone who doesn't miss the soviet union has no heart, anyone who wants it back has no brain'), but nothing really about his decisions or the power structures or economic decisions he's involved with suggest any favorable sentiment towards communism. Very much the opposite, if anything.

I'd say many Russians of his generation who weren't actively dissidents have a similar attitude to the USSR.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Wake me up when they cut off access to the London real estate market

The quickest way to end this would be for England to nationalize the assets of Russian oligarchs in England.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Russia, who is serving as president, saying "I, as the president of the Council, I am obliged to say this: I thank the representative of Ukraine for his statement" got a dark laugh out of me.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Have any countries sided with Russia on this at the UN? Or I guess abstained from commenting?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Have any countries sided with Russia on this at the UN? Or I guess abstained from commenting?

China basically did the latter.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

No explicit support. However, India and China were two siding it, which is as close to support as it got.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Does Ukraine have any intelligence assets that can throw a banana peel at Putin’s feet and whoops that’s taken care of suddenly Putin forgot the last 20 years

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Gatts posted:

Does Ukraine have any intelligence assets that can throw a banana peel at Putin’s feet and whoops that’s taken care of suddenly Putin forgot the last 20 years

Putin is not even letting his inner circle within 30 meters of him so I doubt it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Who is Vladimir Soloviev, just a tv crank?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Here's the Kenyan statement in text form.
https://twitter.com/KenyaMissionUN/status/1495963864004976645

peej
Apr 10, 2009
Nice round of fist bumps between Kyslytsya, Thomas-Greenfield, and Woodward at the end there.

Where was the discussion in Putin's speech about the lists of undesirables? I remember some language about hunting people down but I thought it was referring to the Odessa fire.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nonsense posted:

Who is Vladimir Soloviev, just a tv crank?

One of the biggest in Russia. Putin's exclusive long-form interviewer for like a decade.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1495977790017253380?t=--JFR7F4JVn9sfjeZuEqLQ&s=19

US warnings about a large scale operation against Ukraine continue, US personnel evacuated to Poland and some unconfirmed reports about more troop buildups around Ukraine

Really wish this was over, but it probably isn't

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

lol at the diplomatically delivered "Oh gee, you say there are people who share your language and ethnicity across a border? Gosh, here's the tiniest African violin in the loving universe Russia".

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Here's the speech in video sourced from some YouTube rando
https://youtu.be/soNBEjzWY08

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Paracausal posted:

Here's the speech in video sourced from some YouTube rando
https://youtu.be/soNBEjzWY08

She's an author at rawstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This all seems like a minor incursion to me