Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are there any good US-based stores shipping to the UK? I really want to get a 00 Command Qan[t] or two from seeing the Mecha Gaikotsu review and I think I'll be waiting a while for it to come back into stock in Japan. Am looking at eBay but want to check all options. I actually have an order with HLJ that still not been fulfilled from October.

Shop near me has a bunch of these but I have to warn you, shipping to the UK from the US is expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
MGEX Number 2 on the way!

Experience its "gold"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijddqgCXg88

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Midjack posted:

Shop near me has a bunch of these but I have to warn you, shipping to the UK from the US is expensive.

Any idea how much? How much are the kits themselves there? I'm assuming more than Japan.

I dunno, didn't the US get them way early, did they actually come out in Japan yet? HLJ says the Command Qan[t] came out in January. Just super frustrating no knowing when HLJ will fulfill the order

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Any idea how much? How much are the kits themselves there? I'm assuming more than Japan.

I dunno, didn't the US get them way early, did they actually come out in Japan yet? HLJ says the Command Qan[t] came out in January. Just super frustrating no knowing when HLJ will fulfill the order

26 bucks in the US. Came out in October.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I'm kind of happy Canada cannot use P-Bandai because I do not want to fight for an Efreet Nacht. OTOH I really really really want an Efreet Nacht and but I will not pay $120 CAD for it. Where's all the intermediate scalpers?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

chiasaur11 posted:

26 bucks in the US. Came out in October.

Yeah it was this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

I'm kind of happy Canada cannot use P-Bandai because I do not want to fight for an Efreet Nacht. OTOH I really really really want an Efreet Nacht and but I will not pay $120 CAD for it. Where's all the intermediate scalpers?

Right now, that might be the intermediate scalper. I'd assumed that US distribution would bring down P-Bandai prices, but the global Gunpla shortage has more than counteracted that.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
What are people's experiences with Frame Arms kits?

I've seen a few at my local shops but never really bit on any of them; I did order the SX-25 Cutlass RE2 just now because for what reads as a "grunt" suit, the thing looks remarkably slick, and hopefully a good build

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

What are people's experiences with Frame Arms kits?

I've seen a few at my local shops but never really bit on any of them; I did order the SX-25 Cutlass RE2 just now because for what reads as a "grunt" suit, the thing looks remarkably slick, and hopefully a good build

They're fine. Koto's plastic is a little more brittle than Bandai's and their engineering isn't quite as good so they sometimes are a bit more prone to things falling off than a Gundam or 30MM with similar complexity, but they've been making Frame Arms for long enough to be good at it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Just Dan Again posted:

MGEX Number 2 on the way!

Experience its "gold"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijddqgCXg88

I could take or leave the Unicorn as I've built a ton of them recently, but I'm all over this one. Looks great.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hope this means the other SEED Destiny suits are getting remake MGs soon. They're getting a bit elderly, and we did get the Freedom, Justice, and Providence pretty recently. A reimagined Destiny could be neat, seeing as they're so happy to go adventurous with the 2.0 designs.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Next MGEX will be Age, mark my words.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Puddin posted:

That seems unlikely.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

G-Self. X or DX could have some pretty impressive light shows too.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

The p-bandai MGEX reflector pack would be pretty amazing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Napoleon Nelson posted:

The p-bandai MGEX reflector pack would be pretty amazing

That's exactly what I'm envisioning.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
MGEX seems to be for all-time mega-popular classics, so maybe the Nu? I'd suggest the Wing Zero, but the Ver.Ka came out far too recently.

Alternatively, it'll be the Exia, because all the other S1 Celestial Being suits just got MGs and the kit is quite elderly.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Darth Walrus posted:

Alternatively, it'll be the Exia, because all the other S1 Celestial Being suits just got MGs and the kit is quite elderly.

That's the safe bet.

That's the lol bet.

Puddin posted:

That's the ROFLCOPTER bet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The question is, what will be the EXTREME POINT? Unicorn was Light Emitting. With the Strike Freedom it's Metallic Expression. So you'd have to consider what new EXTREME POINT a given suit could bring to the table.

I feel like Exia would just be light up again, like the PG. The AGE is a very standard Gundam, not sure what they could use as it's EXTREME POINT that wouldn't apply to any other standard Gundam

The G-Self is interesting, I could see light piping or reflectivity or something like that being it's EXTREME POINT.

Another thought would be God Gundam, with poseability as an EXTREME POINT. They've been doing a ton of stuff recently with parts that move out of the way to allow for freedom of movement.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The question is, what will be the EXTREME POINT? Unicorn was Light Emitting. With the Strike Freedom it's Metallic Expression. So you'd have to consider what new EXTREME POINT a given suit could bring to the table.

I feel like Exia would just be light up again, like the PG. The AGE is a very standard Gundam, not sure what they could use as it's EXTREME POINT that wouldn't apply to any other standard Gundam

The G-Self is interesting, I could see light piping or reflectivity or something like that being it's EXTREME POINT.

Another thought would be God Gundam, with poseability as an EXTREME POINT. They've been doing a ton of stuff recently with parts that move out of the way to allow for freedom of movement.

Extreme poseability would also work for the Exia. In the show, it's canonically the only one of Celestial Being's initial front-line Gundams that has a full range of humanlike movement, so that would itself justify it being a MGEX while all the others are MGs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

I don't think so, because the God Gundam's getting the RG with flexibility as its big gimmick in June.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's gonna actually go trans am and teleport around your house

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's going to be Barbatos with a 40 percent chance of causing crippling nerve damage.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Gaius Marius posted:

I already do this by dunking my PG Exia in Kool Aid and chucking it at the walls

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Incidentally, I do sometimes pause and consider what a stunningly bad idea it was to have the protagonist machines turn into blurry red smears whenever it was their time to do something cool. 00 wasn't anywhere near as heavy on the artistic missteps as SEED, but hoo boy, that was a doozy.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

MGEX seems to be for all-time mega-popular classics, so maybe the Nu? I'd suggest the Wing Zero, but the Ver.Ka came out far too recently.

Nu will be the next PG Unleashed, or the one after the Zaku. I think the Exia is much better bet.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

The next MGEX will be the Leo. Its extreme point will be its combustability.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MGEX Neo Zeong. Extreme Point is size.

MG Sinanju not included.

A4 Steak Sauce
May 9, 2016
Got a question for you lot. My IT training program is getting the head for a Makerbot Replicator in either today or tomorrow. Will a .4 nozzle be sufficient for printing some custom weapons for HG Gunpla?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I tried with a MP mini V2 which has a 0.4 and it's doable, just you will need a lot of cleanup and finishing to get rid of the layers definitions.

FDM printers just require a lot of work, you'll be making the small details manually.

Resin printers are the way to go if you're serious.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Should I really get a Godhand one-bladed snipper or similar to get really clean kits done? Are there any out there that aren't crazy expensive? I think I see them for a little over £20 on Amazon, but I don't know what Godhands could be doing to justify that price.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 22, 2022

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
paint question: im using tamiya acrylics and have painted a dark blue base coat. i need to do white and orange highlights over the blue. these lighter colors have poor coverage and also seem to dissolve the underlying blue, mixing the colors. i assume the best way to avoid these issues it to spray a clearcoat over it first?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Kuvo posted:

paint question: im using tamiya acrylics and have painted a dark blue base coat. i need to do white and orange highlights over the blue. these lighter colors have poor coverage and also seem to dissolve the underlying blue, mixing the colors. i assume the best way to avoid these issues it to spray a clearcoat over it first?

Are you hand brushing or air brushing?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should I really get a Godhand one-bladed snipper or similar to get really clean kits done? Are there any out there that aren't crazy expensive? I think I see them for a little over £20 on Amazon, but I don't know what Godhands could be doing to justify that price.

you can totally get away with using some generic two blade snipper. the godhands are nice tho as the blade is thinner and the bottom is flat so it cuts down on the amount of sanding and xacto knife touchups you need to do

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Suzaku posted:

Are you hand brushing or air brushing?

hand brushing

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Kuvo posted:

hand brushing

I'm that case yeah, you'll need a clear coat in between. Tamiya acrylics aren't true water-based paints. You can easily layer them while air brushing, but hand brushing will lay enough paint and solvent down that it can start lifting or dissolving the previous layer.

Alternatively, you could use Vallejo or another water based acrylic for the highlighting and go right over the top of the Tamiya.

It will also help color-wise to paint a layer of white first, and then put your bright colors over that. It will take you forever to get a good color over the dark blue.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Gimme a link to £20 godhands please!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Finished my second dude, the HG Livelance Heaven. It's my first go at panel lining!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Looks really nice! That's some clean lining!

On the subject of nippers, I've had great results with my Godhands, but before that I was using the much more modestly-priced Tamiya nippers and they were still very effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I've used godhands a bunch and went into a bit of a nipper buying spree when I was inbetween godhands so I'll have this to say.

Godhands can reduce a lot of work from having to clear nubs by just producing a cleaner cut. Unfortunately, you will often just need to do less work rather than no work cleaning up the nub. It varies by kit design, plastic quality, etc. There are plenty of single-bladed nippers out there that can do a good enough job to replace a godhand. However, godhands are by far the sharpest ones I've used. Hell, even my normal two-blade godhand nipper is sharper than the rest of its cousins. They just make them sharper and it shows. The price premium is going to be a pain though because they are not worth the mark up at all.