Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Mmmmm, lemony lemoncakes 🍋

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Book Bran > ASoIaF: ...I died a little inside. ● 8 yr. ago

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The book is finally coming out!

https://twitter.com/JamesHibberd/status/1494751444079108102?s=20&t=cHyc2HdZy0Ye8Y7uXjrPfQ

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lmao

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Is is so loving weird that Dynamite Entertainment makes the GoT comics but Marvel is settling for Wild Cards

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Is is so loving weird that Dynamite Entertainment makes the GoT comics but Marvel is settling for Wild Cards

presumably this is a case of Gurm licensing something out before the books really blew up

like how Green Ronin of all people got the RPG rights

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

quote:

Not only would this explain what's taking so long, I think it would fit with how GRRM writes and illustrate one of the primary flaws with his style. This is how he's described it, as I'm sure everyone here has seen before:

“I think there are two types of writers, the architects and the gardeners. The architects plan everything ahead of time, like an architect building a house. They know how many rooms are going to be in the house, what kind of roof they're going to have, where the wires are going to run, what kind of plumbing there's going to be. They have the whole thing designed and blueprinted out before they even nail the first board up. The gardeners dig a hole, drop in a seed and water it. They kind of know what seed it is, they know if planted a fantasy seed or mystery seed or whatever. But as the plant comes up and they water it, they don't know how many branches it's going to have, they find out as it grows. And I'm much more a gardener than an architect.”

The thing about TWOW is that it's the second-to-last book, so this is really it. Several huge reveals and conclusions must take place, and we'll be set on a path toward ADOS. There's no more room to grow his garden, it's time to reap, and I think that's gotta be hard for him. He has to decide where this is all going once and for all.

So, I think he's writing two versions of the story. I have a personal idea of what the primary decision he has to make would be, but that's not important. There's hundreds of plot points he's brought up and he finally has to decide where they're going. I think what he's doing is writing at least two different versions of the story, to see which scenario he likes best.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He ain’t writing poo poo.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Invalid Validation posted:

Wrong, he's writing Wild Cards

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is not impossible that he is "writing " 2 TWOW

What we know is impossible is that he would finish either of them

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

why not 3 books? or 4?

perhaps gurm has an infinite landscape of books within his mind

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

“GRRM’s problem is he’s working too hard to give us the best books ever and it’s cruel we torment the poor man. Also he isn’t working because he’s depressed that all of his friends are dying (of Old) have some sympathy.”

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Schrodinger's GRRM: There is a potentially limitless amount of content that exists until it is published and the waveform collapses.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Invalid Validation posted:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GRRM posted a new Blog

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/02/20/the-pens-behind-the-swords/

quote:

(And me, you ask? No, I did not write a script for the first season of HOUSE… part of me would have loved to, but I have been kind of busy with WINDS OF WINTER, the other THRONES successor shows, various WILD CARDS books, the WILD CARDS tv pilot for Peacock and UCP, DARK WINDS for AMC, ROADMARKS for HBO, NIGHT OF THE COOTERS and a couple other really cool Howard Waldrop projects, and… well, yeah, okay, I bought a railroad, never mind. I did co-create the series with Ryan and help give it its shape, and he and I have been in constant contact ever since).

Lmao how do fans still defend this man

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

If they support him hard enough that spilt milk from 20 years ago will turn to cheese.

To be honest in a world with loving NFTs being a big deal, believing a morbidly obese extremely old lazy fantasy writer who is obviously well past his prime is going to pick up his wordstar and bang out 2 more books in a beloved series seems only mildly naive at this point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y'know it says a loving lot that in the 10 years or so where GoT was the hottest poo poo on the planet and the MCU became a Leviathan propping up an entire corner of the global film industry... GRRM still couldn't get any kind of real WILD CARDS adaptation going.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Y'know it says a loving lot that in the 10 years or so where GoT was the hottest poo poo on the planet and the MCU became a Leviathan propping up an entire corner of the global film industry... GRRM still couldn't get any kind of real WILD CARDS adaptation going.

That's because there's no easy port of access into it. There is no Iron Man to ease people into the universe. Trying to explain WILD CARDS to someone is like trying to explain the plot of Homestuck. No rational person would make it past the first minute.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

nine-gear crow posted:

That's because there's no easy port of access into it. There is no Iron Man to ease people into the universe. Trying to explain WILD CARDS to someone is like trying to explain the plot of Homestuck. No rational person would make it past the first minute.

This is true.

I knew a guy who was a big Wild Cards fan, who kept trying to get other people to read Wild Cards and who always wanted to run a Wild Cards campaign of the Official Wild Cards roleplaying game (originally GURPS and then latter Mutants and Masterminds). At the height of the Game Of Thrones fandom he finally convinced some people to sit down and make characters, so we cracked open the Official Wild Cards roleplaying game supplement and instantly bounced off it like a brick wall.

It's not even bad, it's just forty years of the type of convoluted nonsense and in-jokes and huge tonal clashes that you'd get if a dozen friends tried to make all their weird loving RPG characters try to fit in the same universe. Like, one guy is a floating armored Volkswagon Beetle? And another guy is a magical pimp with sex magic powers? And those were apparently two of the most relatable, forward-facing characters the book wanted to feature.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Y’all are seriously selling me on Wildcards, I might need to check it out!

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Like, one guy is a floating armored Volkswagon Beetle? And another guy is a magical pimp with sex magic powers? And those were apparently two of the most relatable, forward-facing characters the book wanted to feature.

The VW beetle guy is one of the most interesting characters by leaps and bounds. He was written by GRRM, so of course he barely appears in the books I read. The magic pimp is incredibly off putting. Whatever you're imagining, it's worse. He's a sleazy tantric sex guru who pimps out his (all female) followers. This is always portrayed as being a good thing. It's weird. Once he's introduced he just becomes more and more prominent. He's involved in almost every major event eventually. I stopped reading the series after one character's teenage runaway niece was turned out by the guy. Of course that was portrayed 100% as a good thing and a happy ending. I can't imagine how the TV series is going to handle him if it ever gets off the ground.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mind the walrus posted:

It's not that surprising. After the series finale finished, GoT went from cultural phenomenon to most people just walking away. Its most lasting impact will be the numerous girls whose idiot parents decided to name them after Lady Dragon Hitler.

nine-gear crow posted:

Even before the MCU existed, many of those characters had been very widely known for decades. Event excluding the Sony Spiderman movies or Fox's X-Men movies you had various Marvel cartoons for decades. Gen X and Millennial kids had some idea of who those characters were and their parents knew either from being old fans themselves or from buying the toys and clothes for their kids in the 80s and 90s. Or the Hulk TV show from the 70s in addition to him showing up in some of the other animated shows occasionally.

The wild thing is just how well Iron Man did and how effectively RDJ played the role at a time when nobody really expected much of him and IIRC he was in a real bad place at the time. When that movie was being made there was plenty of "RDJ, that trainwreck of a person is the movie's hero?" It wasn't like when Patrick Stewart was announced as Professor X and the world went "yes of course he is why would you use anyone else?"

e: Samuel L. Jackson as Ultimate Nick Fury doesn't count as a perfect pick because the character's design was based on him. :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

The VW beetle guy is one of the most interesting characters by leaps and bounds. He was written by GRRM, so of course he barely appears in the books I read. The magic pimp is incredibly off putting. Whatever you're imagining, it's worse. He's a sleazy tantric sex guru who pimps out his (all female) followers. This is always portrayed as being a good thing. It's weird. Once he's introduced he just becomes more and more prominent. He's involved in almost every major event eventually. I stopped reading the series after one character's teenage runaway niece was turned out by the guy. Of course that was portrayed 100% as a good thing and a happy ending. I can't imagine how the TV series is going to handle him if it ever gets off the ground.

:kstare:

You have to be loving with me. Magic pimp sounds absolutely loving nightmarish, even by the extremely sleazy lows of US superhero books.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

mind the walrus posted:

:kstare:

You have to be loving with me. Magic pimp sounds absolutely loving nightmarish, even by the extremely sleazy lows of US superhero books.

His magic comes from the fact that he never ejaculates. All his magic sperm is stored in his forehead

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

The wild thing is just how well Iron Man did and how effectively RDJ played the role at a time when nobody really expected much of him and IIRC he was in a real bad place at the time. When that movie was being made there was plenty of "RDJ, that trainwreck of a person is the movie's hero?" It wasn't like when Patrick Stewart was announced as Professor X and the world went "yes of course he is why would you use anyone else?"

yeah nobody gave a single gently caress about iron man or RDJ at the time, the movie was just a real next-gen spectacle. the only movie i've ever been to where people were actively saying "holy poo poo!!!" in the theater the way i imagine happened with star wars and some of the other late 70s blockbusters

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

whowhatwhere posted:

His magic comes from the fact that he never ejaculates. All his magic sperm is stored in his forehead

I’m sorry, again? (Get it?) I’m sure it’s magic, but how does semen get into his forehead?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

chaosapiant posted:

I’m sorry, again? (Get it?) I’m sure it’s magic, but how does semen get into his forehead?

It's some kind of Tantric sex magic power. He stores the power that would be "lost" by cumming in his head. I don't think it's supposed to be a bunch of cum sloshing around in there but who the hell knows how the horny author/TTRPG player interpreted it

mewse
May 2, 2006

RudeCat posted:

It's some kind of Tantric sex magic power. He stores the power that would be "lost" by cumming in his head. I don't think it's supposed to be a bunch of cum sloshing around in there but who the hell knows how the horny author/TTRPG player interpreted it

To be fair, Cum Vase was my favourite watchmen character

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

chaosapiant posted:

Y’all are seriously selling me on Wildcards, I might need to check it out!

The wildcards thread is an awesome read https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501532

e: It's too bad the images don't work anymore.

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 23, 2022

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

whowhatwhere posted:

The superpower statblock on that character’s wiki contains the phrase “If he ejaculated into a dead body….” Which is everything you need to know about why Wild Cards never took off as an IP.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Wild Cards, you say?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's not that surprising. After the series finale finished, GoT went from cultural phenomenon to most people just walking away. Its most lasting impact will be the numerous girls whose idiot parents decided to name them after Lady Dragon Hitler.

I think the opposite is happening here. Dynamite started publishing the GoT comics the same year the first season came out, so there probably was a deal in place before it became a massive hit. It’s not like Marvel had the choice and chose the less famous book series (as opposed to, you know, neither)

Marvel is publishing Wild Cards for the same reason a GoT prequel is in the works and a Wild Cards series is being attempted: all of these people are hoping lighting strikes twice. GoT may not have much cultural cachet after the disastrous last season, but Wild Cards has even less. In other words, if you thought GoT was a total joke, what would you say if someone was like: “okay, but what about a worse series that’s not even written entirely by the same author??”

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I think the opposite is happening here. Dynamite started publishing the GoT comics the same year the first season came out, so there probably was a deal in place before it became a massive hit. It’s not like Marvel had the choice and chose the less famous book series (as opposed to, you know, neither)

Marvel is publishing Wild Cards for the same reason a GoT prequel is in the works and a Wild Cards series is being attempted: all of these people are hoping lighting strikes twice. GoT may not have much cultural cachet after the disastrous last season, but Wild Cards has even less. In other words, if you thought GoT was a total joke, what would you say if someone was like: “okay, but what about a worse series that’s not even written entirely by the same author??”

So in 11 years the comics have gotten as far as mid-way through the second book.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Obviously George is waiting for them to catch up so he can publish the new book as a tie-in.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Lots of praise coming GRRM's way today as the Elden Ring reviews come out, so he'll have to knock out a couple sequels to that (not actually do anything but keep taking the credit) before he can get back to TWOW.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Allegedly GRRM’s involvement in Elden Ring consisted of a short world overview written in 2017. That’s about it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Allegedly GRRM’s involvement in Elden Ring consisted of a short world overview written in 2017. That’s about it.

Pretty sure we know he was involved due to some intrepid journalism: https://tinyurl.com/bdfzf4hb (Work safe) and that's the end of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean other people won't just say it but I'm already a pariah so I can-- GRRM did jack and poo poo for Elden Ring and we all know it. Not gonna stop him from collecting the checks or credit though.