Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Seems like it'd be a good time to double check if extreme claims you post here have literally any corroboration

Maybe for some reason Al Sura News learned this before any of the people reporting from Kyiv, but I hope not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zotix posted:

There's no way this is true. To airdrop and take Kiev airport would take dozens of airplanes. We'd see videos of antiaircraft fire of which we're seeing none.

Unless they've been in the city for a couple days flying in under civilian airliners.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Youth Decay posted:

So is everyone going to let Russia take a country? Not saying the US should get involved but gently caress. I don't think Putin's going to stop at Ukraine.

Yep/Well thats why we have NATO

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Zotix posted:

There's no way this is true. To airdrop and take Kiev airport would take dozens of airplanes. We'd see videos of antiaircraft fire of which we're seeing none.

Maybe a big defection or sabotage? I remember reading that pro-Russian elements had infiltrated a lot of the military and Ukraine's government institutions over the years.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

KillHour posted:

It's one of those things where it only takes one military to miscalculate what "lesser" means and hit the wrong country before poo poo blows up literally in our faces. There is no "good" outcome here - the soft power checks on Russia have failed. I'm still not expecting WWIII, but I'm less convinced it won't happen than at any point when Trump was in office and that's saying something.

This reminds me of that "Stabbed man: What are you going to do, stab me?" meme.

I wonder if this is Russian troll farms trying to dilute the conversation as much as possible - they're all posting the same things.

Fake Edit: Wow 10 minutes is a long time

Preventing political conflicts from inadvertently escalating into world wars is a swiss cheese defense sort of thing. It doesn't happen automatically or because of some hard line. It's enforced by a whole lot of little norms and safeguards that all have to fail. It's exceedingly unlikely this war does that. But it's likely to take out a lot of slices from that cheese, and those will take years to put back.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Youth Decay posted:

So is everyone going to let Russia take a country? Not saying the US should get involved but gently caress. I don't think Putin's going to stop at Ukraine.

I mean due to NATO there's not much else he could realistically go for like this, Moldova? Belarus? Georgia?
And going after Finland would be uh.... tantamount to invading Western Europe in Western Europe's eyes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
FWIW this is what NPR is saying:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1496690701723176966

So I'll believe the thing about the airport when we get more corroboration.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Ukraine rep up on UNSC right after Russia just informed everyone "Yeah, we're going in." This is not going well.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Youth Decay posted:

Poland is probably feeling a bit apprehensive. If he pushes past Ukraine it gets very ugly very quickly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

I mean, Putin kind of put everyone in the position of deciding whether to get involved or let him have Ukraine - that was his plan. So if you're saying we shouldn't 'let' Russia have a country, you're also implying we should get 'involved.' There's no magic wand that reconciles those two things.

Killer robot posted:

Preventing political conflicts from inadvertently escalating into world wars is a swiss cheese defense sort of thing. It doesn't happen automatically or because of some hard line. It's enforced by a whole lot of little norms and safeguards that all have to fail. It's exceedingly unlikely this war does that. But it's likely to take out a lot of slices from that cheese, and those will take years to put back.

The analogy to swiss cheese, something famous for being full of holes, does not fill me with confidence in these norms.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1496691720569896964?t=sue03hAN6rvr4JTQzgsqfQ&s=19

I feel sick.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Chances are it's someone hearing about the airport getting "attacked" (bombed) and just started making some leaps from there.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ6VtEs9c8E
ABC news coverage online

If you have a local Fox station with news they're still broken into programming. NBC just went back to programming

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Unless they've been in the city for a couple days flying in under civilian airliners.

Or just driving in. Russia has had troops and supporters in occupied Ukraine for years now. If true they could of been there quite a while without anyone noticing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

eke out posted:

Seems like it'd be a good time to double check if extreme claims you post here have literally any corroboration

Maybe for some reason Al Sura News learned this before any of the people reporting from Kyiv, but I hope not

This seems like some corroboration even if it's not confirmation:

https://twitter.com/briarstewart/status/1496691759572791296

Marco Rubio also tweeted that Russia was making the attempt.

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1496689463761817600

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
loving Rubio, but:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1496689463761817600?s=20&t=Vb_uFadgzxGoOjTnFgcBBA

e: beaten

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Kammat posted:

Ukraine rep up on UNSC right after Russia just informed everyone "Yeah, we're going in." This is not going well.

He started with "Well, my prepared speech is useless" and is seemingly transitioning into requesting the expulsion of Russia from the U.N.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Ukraine has an army. If Russia "took" the airport at 5am Ukraine could, ya know, go there and take it back. Or shoot things at it! There's no way it's already done and final aw shucks, and everyone needs to slow their read-tweet, post-tweet roll. Double true from unverified accounts, but I'd take a deep breath even from the verified ones as we enter the fog of war.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

What is the Ukranians actual chance of holding a successful defense against Putin for a while?

I'm assuming not good?

gently caress I wish that rear end in a top hat died of a stroke right now

In an up-down battle I'm guessing essentially zero. But you could say the same about Iraq and Afghanistan.

Not making any predictions here, just saying that there's a lot more to it than whether Russia's conventional military defeats Ukraine's.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I have to wonder, given that he seems to be invading the whole country, what was the point of the whole “national security council” meeting and officially recognizing DPR/LPR?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zotix posted:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1496689463761817600?t=QCEHV8Mum8sq4VffjuukUg&s=19

E; fb

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

coelomate posted:

Ukraine has an army. If Russia "took" the airport at 5am Ukraine could, ya know, go there and take it back. Or shoot things at it! There's no way it's already done and final aw shucks, and everyone needs to slow their read-tweet, post-tweet roll. Double true from unverified accounts, but I'd take a deep breath even from the verified ones as we enter the fog of war.

ukraine has an army, it is not clear yet if that army is willing to fight russia. i am a bit doubtful the airport has been seized but it's not out of this world.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grape posted:

I mean due to NATO there's not much else he could realistically go for like this, Moldova? Belarus? Georgia?
And going after Finland would be uh.... tantamount to invading Western Europe in Western Europe's eyes.

Again, looking at him as a Russian neocon is probably instructive here. He's going to Monroe Doctrine the gently caress out of Eastern Europe. Expect constant economic/political pressure and far-right/'centrist' coups with lots of suspicious funding, not outright invasions (except when any given nation is sufficiently isolated to be easy prey).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

smug n stuff posted:

I have to wonder, given that he seems to be invading the whole country, what was the point of the whole “national security council” meeting and officially recognizing DPR/LPR?

The purported pretext is proxies’ plea for assistance versus government forces.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Kammat posted:

he's gone off-book because of course he has, and it's the kind of thing I haven't really ever seen

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
The Ukrainian ambassador to the UN is calling for the Russian ambassador to relinquish presidency of the security council if they can't announce they are not taking military actions in UA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

smug n stuff posted:

Propaganda for internal political poo poo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

smug n stuff posted:

It was for internal Russian consumption, to make it appear that military action was justified.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

smug n stuff posted:

Because those are the parts Russia will annex. They're not going to annex the entire Ukraine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Zotix posted:

Not necessarily.

• Air strikes and short-range ballistic missiles take out a few key AA emplacements.
  • Helicopters transport Spetsnaz units to the airport.

The goal of an operation like that isn't to hold the airport forever, but serves a few purposes:

• Prevent Ukrainian leaders from escaping.
  • Prevent Western aid from landing. (Perhaps unnecessarily - it looks like various aircraft were exiting Ukraine's airspace very quickly.)
  • Deny an airfield to the Ukrainian air force.
  • Force Ukraine's military to react to a force behind their lines. This takes soldiers, time, and--especially important early in an attack--decision cycles.

A relatively small group of motivated soldiers could hold an airport for a few days - more than long enough for mechanized forces to reach the airport.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I can’t see how we can confirm that this is current footage.

there were more or less identical launches visible on streams

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You’re right, but I think it’s a fair ask of the thread to do some minimal due diligence for whether if footage can be reasonably attributed to the conflict. This thread will keep moving fast enough for a while, and so we don’t really want to have potentially random footage of MRLS fire in pitch black night.

this is also what the actual footage looked like, too though

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I loving hate war but gently caress at this point Putin's clearly unhinged and Russia is a rogue state:

I'm fine with some viruses affecting their pipelines and infrastructure and a blockade at this point, maybe some funding encouragement of any rebel groups in the Russian Federation

This guy has to be given a black eye or he will keep doing stupid poo poo until he starts something he can't stop

Russia should lose its seat on the Security Council and hell from the UN entirely

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 24, 2022

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

orange sky posted:

Lol what are you kidding? I don't believe at all that Putin will do it but it's true he keeps hinting at it or explicitly mentioning it

https://twitter.com/sahouraxo/status/1491563974839705602?t=27GwII7r-_mMaOheJOkjaw&s=19

He's loving insane.

We don't need people posting Twitter poo poo claiming that Putin's threatening nuclear attacks when he never specified what they would do in the first place

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

idempodunk posted:

The Ukrainian ambassador to the UN is calling for the Russian ambassador to relinquish presidency of the security council if they can't announce they are not taking military actions in UA.

It's almost like giving every member of the security council an un-overridable veto was a dumb idea. Who could have thought.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

ukraine has an army, it is not clear yet if that army is willing to fight russia. i am a bit doubtful the airport has been seized but it's not out of this world.

I don't see how they would plan on attacking and holding it as it may be a while before reinforcements can get there, but I could see them going in with a smaller force (possibly already there just waiting?) and blowing up everything they can to make it unusable for the foreseeable future.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

KillHour posted:

It's almost like giving every member of the security council an un-overridable veto was a dumb idea. Who could have thought.

The security council would be useless in a different way w/o it, too. At least some of the secondary UN functions have value.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1496692707753963524

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
No one is going to war with Russia over Ukraine. The western front alone would be something like 4000 miles long, and the US wouldn't be able to fight that war without abandoning all other security commitments and pulling the trigger on conscription, and probably it would go nuclear long before it reached that point.

The UN security council will not act on this, at most we get a resolution against the attack, which Russia veto's, same as 2014.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Have far is the airport from any built up place, as Ukraine should still have a shitload of Javelins and NLAWS floating around.

Like feel like a helicopter full of special forces troops would be a pretty big priority target for someone with one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

I loving hate war but gently caress at this piint Putin's clearly unhinged and Russia is a rogue state:

I'm fine with some viruses affecting their pipelines and infrastructure and a blockade at this point, maybe some funding encouragement of any rebel groups in the Russian Federation

This guy has to be given a black eye or he will keep doing stupid poo poo until he stsrts something he can't stop

Our infrastructure is at least as vulnerable as his, so that sounds like a bad idea unless you want grandma in the covid ward to die when the hospital loses power. Nobody really knows what happens if a cyber war goes hot, but it's really not a good idea to test it out against a country with the capabilities Russia has. Especially if bodies start actually dropping over it, that's a very dangerous escalation for the world.

KillHour posted:

The UN wouldn't exist if they hadn't. All five permanent members are the five officially permitted nuclear powers too, so in effect they have vetoes either way.