Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Nenonen posted:

What I'm saying is if you want to know the answer then wait a few days or weeks.

I will probably just do this instead of trying to ask what’s going on in this thread because that’s an invitation to get your head bitten off apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo I never realized the sheer scale of the size of Ukraine before. The Russians are trying to occupy that? Good luck

There's also slightly over 44 million people living in Ukraine. Which makes it a bit less then than the third of the size of Russias 144ish million population.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 24, 2022

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
It appears that the Ukrainian Armed Forces failed to listen to Putin and did not put down their arms; and it also seems that people of the Ukraine are, as advertised, willing to fight.

Not only does it seem the lead up to this invasion did not go as Putin planned, but I don’t think the invasion is going how he expected it either.

Not that I don’t think he wasn’t warned, from what I understand US intelligence indicates Putin got some push back from Russian military intelligence all month leading up to this.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Paracausal posted:

There's already videos of kids getting blown up.

:smith: I’m glad (?) to not have stumbled into this then

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Is Russia “slaughtering” innocent civilians right now? Honest question

Yes.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

What did it say? Tweet was deleted.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

To be clear, Sweden and Finland regularly sit round the table at NATO meetings until the conversations get into proper 'allies only' mode. It's actually more the exception that they get asked to leave the room.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is Russia “slaughtering” innocent civilians right now? Honest question

Not that I've seen, but the fog of war makes this difficult. Pro-Russian elements on twitter will deny any civillian deaths, while anti-Russian elements will amplify or fabricate such deaths.

Don't believe anything you see on twitter until it is very well confirmed. But an invasion of this scale is bound to kill innocent people. And god knows what will happen if/when Russia tries to take a major city.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ZombieLenin posted:

It appears that the Ukrainian Armed Forces failed to listen to Putin and did not put down their arms; and it also seems that people of the Ukraine are, as advertised, willing to fight.

Not only does it seem the lead up to this invasion did not go as Putin planned, but I don’t think the invasion is going how he expected it either.

Not that I don’t think he wasn’t warned, from what I understand US intelligence indicates Putin got some push back from Russian military intelligence all month leading up to this.

Did he actually think this lol. I’m not mocking you I heard the speech. I genuinely want to know.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

ZombieLenin posted:

What did it say? Tweet was deleted.

Footage of a wrecked armoured column. Disputed if Russian or Ukrainian

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I will probably just do this instead of trying to ask what’s going on in this thread because that’s an invitation to get your head bitten off apparently

It's alright. This thread and OSINT Twitter is full of videos of people and even kids getting blown up this morning. Russians so far have shelled at least one huge apartment building and public streets. And the urban fighting hasn't even started yet.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It really depends on what you mean by slaughtering civilians. Will some civilians die in any war? Of course. Is Russia known for waging war in a particularly brutal way? Also yes. Are they going to round people up like Germany in World War 2 and start exterminating villages? Of course not. So there's a lot of room in between nobody dying, which isn't realistic, and open massacres, which also isn't realistic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

It really depends on what you mean by slaughtering civilians. Will some civilians die in any war? Of course. Is Russia known for waging war in a particularly brutal way? Also yes. Are they going to round people up like Germany in World War 2 and start exterminating villages? Of course not. So there's a lot of room in between nobody dying, which isn't realistic, and open massacres, which also isn't realistic.

To be fair: Exterminating villages is the only way the Russian army knows how to succeed at urban combat. So take that for what you will.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Not that I've seen, but the fog of war makes this difficult. Pro-Russian elements on twitter will deny any civillian deaths, while anti-Russian elements will amplify or fabricate such deaths.

Don't believe anything you see on twitter until it is very well confirmed. But an invasion of this scale is bound to kill innocent people. And god knows what will happen if/when Russia tries to take a major city.

Yeah this is where my head is at, when someone says “slaughtering civilians” I’m thinking of like, rounding civilians up and putting them up against the wall. Not to downplay the human cost of what’s going on, I just can’t tell what’s going on when people are maybe hyperbolic or loose with their phrasing (which is fair! It’s a crazy situation)

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

Sinteres posted:

Will you just shut the gently caress up? Ban me please. I don’t want anything to do with this place.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

It's alright. This thread and OSINT Twitter is full of videos of people and even kids getting blown up this morning. Russians so far have shelled at least one huge apartment building and public streets. And the urban fighting hasn't even started yet.

hearts and minds! Occupations going to go great!

Elizabeth Cluppins
May 12, 2009

It is an honest question. I see lots of reports and updates about strikes on military bases and after math videos of disabled vehicles or abandoned techies, jets flying over etc, but I have not seen anything other than these sort of sterile moments or reports of open fire on random civilians. Not saying it’s not happening, I’m just trying to catch up. It’s an honest question.

You can find videos of shelled apartment buildings and dead civilians, but I'd rather not dig them up for the sake of own sanity.

It's only day 1 of the conflict so it's not mass deaths yet, but any offensive warfare in urban environments will have civilian deaths.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The Russia apologists have moved on from denying that any invasion will take place to denying that the Russian army will target civilians in the invasion that is definitely happening, ignoring decades of experience of the Russian army's behavior in places like Grozny and Aleppo.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Also yes. Are they going to round people up like Germany in World War 2 and start exterminating villages? Of course not.

It didn't necessarily reach Germany on the Eastern Front level, but you might want to read up on their strategy and conduct during their stint in Afghanistan.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
What is the chance that we will have UN peacekeepers in Ukraine in a "useful" amount of time? Would this be effective at discouraging an invasion without escalating the conflict?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ZombieLenin posted:

It's a bit too early to declare Russia beaten yet. Or Ukraine for that matter. The invasion started 12 hours ago, nothing of consequence has happened yet. Only coming days will tell how it will go.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ZombieLenin posted:

I don't think the image of the "Invincible Russian Army" Putin has put forward over the years is remotely loving true

They easily overran Georgia and have no problem when it comes to shelling/ bombing civilians in Syria/ Crimea, but I remember a few years ago Russian "PMCS" tried to engage a relatively small force of Americans and got absolutely loving clobbered in Syria.

The reports were that the Russian army was young, drunk, and morale was low in Belarus due to widespread Covid before the war even got started. They're constantly bragging about their new miltech but it seems like NATO has never once worried they could take them in an armed conflict. Me thinks the Gnome doth pontificate too much

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Morrow posted:

The Russia apologists have moved on from denying that any invasion will take place to denying that the Russian army will target civilians in the invasion that is definitely happening, ignoring decades of experience of the Russian army's behavior in places like Grozny and Aleppo.

I’m not a politics wonk and I legitimately don’t know what’s going on so I was responding to an implication of a specific kind of war crime occurring but am also upset with civilians dying for any reason in a conflict and think Russia is doing a bad thing. I hope this helps.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

That Italian Guy posted:

What is the chance that we will have UN peacekeepers in Ukraine in a "useful" amount of time? Would this be effective at discouraging an invasion without escalating the conflict?

The invasion's underway and there's no prospect of it stopping at present.

Also Russia's the President of the UN Security Council with veto power over any UN actions.

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 24, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1496818762464788481

Do it bitch. Nationalize the oligarchs' property. Seize chelsea for the people. Or are you just going to freeze bank accounts like a coward?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/theragex/status/1496836155429556235

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1496830739035439109

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It is an honest question. I see lots of reports and updates about strikes on military bases and after math videos of disabled vehicles or abandoned techies, jets flying over etc, but I have not seen anything other than these sort of sterile moments or reports of open fire on random civilians. Not saying it’s not happening, I’m just trying to catch up. It’s an honest question.

We have footage of missile hits on apartment complexes. Some of it was posted earlier in the thread, so I’ll abstain from posting more of it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Morrow posted:

But- but- ukrainains are the nazis. Putin has denazification as a war goal!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That Italian Guy posted:

Zero.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

That Italian Guy posted:

UN peacekeeper presence doesn't do poo poo to prevent war or civilian deaths. and I'm telling you this as someone who wore a blue helmet once.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Tankies should be forced to watch every single gory piece of media from this conflict Clockwork Orange style.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Gort posted:

The invasion's underway and there's no prospect of it stopping at present.
Yeah, I meant "would this reduce the volume/scope" of the invasion, sorry.

Edit vvv well then.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 24, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That Italian Guy posted:

You can't have peacekeepers unless both sides agree to have them there. Russia obviously doesn't want that and would veto any such suggestion in United Nations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah this is where my head is at, when someone says “slaughtering civilians” I’m thinking of like, rounding civilians up and putting them up against the wall. Not to downplay the human cost of what’s going on, I just can’t tell what’s going on when people are maybe hyperbolic or loose with their phrasing (which is fair! It’s a crazy situation)

I mean, they ARE doing honest to God war crimes on the civilian population. They are not slaughtering them in the literally sense of a jolly butcher in a butcher shop taking Ukrainians apart with a cleaver. Sorry for the confusion

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1496818762464788481

Do it bitch. Nationalize the oligarchs' property. Seize chelsea for the people. Or are you just going to freeze bank accounts like a coward?

Plus, for once, there's a concrete Brexit upside: his hands are free for whatever sanctions they deem appropriate, no need to get 27 other countries to agree.

Obviously, it's not quite as easy since he owes his position to donations from born-in-the-UK-relations-of-oligarchs-but-not-oligarchs-themselves, but in theory...

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

lol pathetic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

TulliusCicero posted:

They easily overran Georgia and have no problem when it comes to shelling/ bombing civilians in Syria/ Crimea, but I remember a few years ago Russian "PMCS" tried to engage a relatively small force of Americans and got absolutely loving clobbered in Syria.

iirc, what actually happened was that the russian PMCs attacked US-backed local forces, thinking that the US wouldn't act directly against them in return. They discovered their miscalculation when their position was carpet-bombed by B-52s, or something of similar scale.

It's not so much a mark against the capability of russian forces, as it was just a single instance of gross strategic miscalculation

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

BoldFace posted:

Tankies should be forced to watch every single gory piece of media from this conflict Clockwork Orange style.

Their response -- "It's good. All of these were nazis actually and I love watching nazideath"

Propaganda-influence campaigns have shown you can justify anything as long as you frame it right, especially in a largely virtual world with people with strong opinions about what's happening to people thousands of kilometers away

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Did he actually think this lol. I’m not mocking you I heard the speech. I genuinely want to know.

Yes, there was another unhinged speech published around 3am my time today, where he rambled a bit about Ukrainian nukes and then made a “heartfelt plea” that Russian military just wants to quickly “denazify” Ukrainian government, and Ukrainian military can just go home and have hot sex with their wives, and resume friendship with Russia once the “tumour” has been “surgically removed”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BoldFace posted:

i mean why would you show them stuff that's their fetish.