Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

It would suck to be russian on the ISS right now

Not as much as it would suck to be kicked off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Will Lous CK be captured by the Russians? Is this our secret weapon?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1496904933014216711

Just sounds like a PR attempt than a serious offer of negotiation.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

we will see. stuff is too early. i can see it happening. biden is giving a speech about all of this in a half hour.

Cyprus is drat near literally a floating Russian bank in some regards. Also culturally/historically Russophile.

But they're also tiny and malleable so I dunno, Greece itself isn't part of this so maybe they can talk with them on this.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

IMO the real problem is the NATO encroachment argument is that it's become overcome by events. Even on its own terms it's a justification for Russia pressuring Ukraine. It's wholly inadequate in the face of Putin actually launching a war, and it also just doesn't matter at all. The war's started, people are dying, and trying to peer at the tea leaves feels like an ivory tower exercise at best.

Thom12255 posted:

Demilitarized, lol. A state can't function like that. I'm sure the Russian military will offer to secure the borders and critical sites like Chernobyl, out of a sense of generosity and Slavic unity.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

It's the best terms they're going to get. But yeah I don't see how they could possibly accept.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Thom12255 posted:

uwu we'll stop invading if you become more invadeable

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Thom12255 posted:

Lol, Russia is willing to accept unconditional surrender. Sounds great.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Thom12255 posted:

If you lads just want to, like, unconditionally surrender right now, that would be swell.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/FrankFigliuzzi1/status/1496905315064766466

I don't think he'll do it honestly.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Preoptopus posted:

It would suck to be russian on the ISS right now
It would definitely be great for the hypothetical Ukranian astronaut though, relatively anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

He certainly shouldn't.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Thom12255 posted:

"We will stop shooting at you if you just give up all your stuff to shoot at us with and also if you could promise never to shoot at us ever, pinkie swear!"

gently caress that poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If he did that would open the US up to cyber retaliation.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Sinteres posted:

My emphasis on NATO culpability or lack thereof has definitely decreased now that the war has actually begun, but discouraging discussion of one of the two main reasons mentioned for invasion by the leader of the belligerent power (the other being flat out revanchism on his part) in the name of discouraging boring posts while gems like 'Putin is doing this because he has a small penis' or 'Putin wants to kill 40 million Ukrainians' seem to be acceptable feels a bit like it's positions that are being moderated rather than low content/boring posts.

If you're sure you have some new info or arguments about one of those ideas after reading the discussion that's already happened, you're welcome to post it. That's why those things are only being discouraged rather than outlawed. Also, if you see posts on the other side that are low content, please report them.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Russia has been 'cyber attacking' the West for years with very little cover.

Like, obviously the US government shouldn't come out and say 'we are cyber attacking Russia.'

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

One other options this could be is damage control in response to the domestic protests. Sporadic as they are, they're still noticeable.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

He shouldn’t. Russia would hit back and hit back hard in a way that would gently caress a lot of poo poo up. That’s best case. Worst is escalate into being in a shooting war with them now.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Thom12255 posted:

This is like the ultimatum presented to Serbia by Austria-Hungary, in that an acceptance would effectively take away their sovereignty.

Only this time around, the ultimatum is handed out after the war is declared.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kaddish posted:

Like, obviously the US government shouldn't come out and say 'we are cyber attacking Russia.'

Really? Or are you just talking about the facebook stuff from the 2016 election?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

True this feels like the US Gov't telling Russia we have the ability to do this, are you sure this is the path you want to go down?

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Kaddish posted:

This. We have been attack each other for a long time. This just makes it official.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He shouldn’t. Russia would hit back and hit back hard in a way that would gently caress a lot of poo poo up. That’s best case. Worst is escalate into being in a shooting war with them now.

Eh, pretty sure any cyber warfare assets Russia has are focused 100% on Ukraine right now.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Really? Or are you just talking about the facebook stuff from the 2016 election?

Yes, really.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Are you kidding?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

One other options this could be is damage control in response to the domestic protests. Sporadic as they are, they're still noticeable.

It's more like what Putin insisted on having all along. A neutral Ukraine without the possibility of NATO troops and weapon systems on its borders.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Short of doing what they do best and sell Ukrainians weapons, US needs to stay out of this one please God.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Thom12255 posted:

Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances II

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Thom12255 posted:

I hope Zelensky tells them to go gently caress themselves.I'd prefer if he used those exact words, but... that is admittedly less likely.

Gripweed posted:

As if Russia hasn't been launching cyber-attacks on the US for years already.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

I mean, Russia DID hack the DNC, so it's not just facebook stuff in 2016. But Russia cyber attacks are done by "independent" contractors who ARE IN NO WAY ASSOCIATED with the Russian government *wink wink*.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Especially for day 1 in a war. Usually it takes a bit for exhaustion to get going. This is supposed to be the patriotic fervor stage.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

This really sounds like something they should do in retaliation for a Russian cyber attack on the US. If we do it first well... I hope everyone likes living without electricity for god knows how long.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Could also be an attempt to end this thing quickly if it's not going well as the projections hoped, as well as try to mend some rep on the world stage by going "See we can be reasonable we just want them to not be able to defend themselves anymore!"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SwimNurd posted:

This. We have been attack each other for a long time. This just makes it official.

It would be a dramatic escalation, depending on the option chosen. One of the options was turning off power, and if we start attacking each other's power plants, that obviously has some pretty big ramifications. Of course you'd hope our defenses are adequate, but who's betting on that? And as with physical warfare, once escalation begins, you don't choose where it ends.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Earlier this morning the exiled president of Belarus seemed to make a claim for the government and said she's forming a transitional cabinet (source: her Instagram account). I haven't seen this discussed here, but is she going to try to flip this on Lukashenko?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

Are you kidding?

I mean, the power is still on, the water is still flowing, I'm currently posting online, I haven't noticed any cyberattacks

edit: If the DNC hack is the kind of cyberattack they're talking about, who cares. I don't care if Russia and the USA leak each other's dirty secrets. I thought cyberattacks meant, like, actually damaging infastructure.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Sinteres posted:

It would be a dramatic escalation, depending on the option chosen. One of the options was turning off power, and if we start attacking each other's power plants, that obviously has some pretty big ramifications. Of course you'd hope our defenses are adequate, but who's betting on that?

Our infrastructure defenses are definitely not adequate. Neither are Russia's (that's an assumption)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Will Lous CK be captured by the Russians? Is this our secret weapon?

His disgusting penis showing antics will repulse and repel the Russian aggression back to Moscow. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Grape posted:

Cyprus is drat near literally a floating Russian bank in some regards. Also culturally/historically Russophile.

But they're also tiny and malleable so I dunno, Greece itself isn't part of this so maybe they can talk with them on this.

Since when, did the Cypriots actually listen to us?

And rightfully so!..if you know the history.