Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks for this. My only problem with FF5PR and FF6PR has been screen tearing which is mildly annoying but I can live with. I hope this fixes it.

If you have an Nvidia card you can force vsync using the Nvidia control panel. AMD might have a similar option, but I'm not familiar with their software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Halloween Jack posted:

I really, really wish that Ultima IV would get a Dawn of Souls/Advance style remaster.
While being Ultima V, if you can get it working the fan-made total conversion Project Lazarus for Dungeon Siege I was pretty impressive.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
was watching a buddy play through and they got destroyed by tunnel armor in the locke scenario. the tunnel armor was casting two spells per celes turn, so it was impossible to runic all of them. i told them to grind out three levels and try again, and that was enough, but wow i don't remember that being so difficult originally.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I always just ignore the chests my first time through the cave, because one of them turns into a lightning rod if you wait until the Locke scenario. Breaking that rod will one shot the tunnelarmor.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all the trash battles seem way easier and the bosses seem harder

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Super No Vacancy posted:

I can't prove that this is the case but if it is then it's the way it should be.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't think the Impresario had to worry about whether Celes sounded like a professional opera singer or not considering that your party members are the only people watching it. :v:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

dolphinbomb posted:

I always just ignore the chests my first time through the cave, because one of them turns into a lightning rod if you wait until the Locke scenario. Breaking that rod will one shot the tunnelarmor.

yeah they were a first time player so i didn't want to nitpick their choices

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't think the Impresario had to worry about whether Celes sounded like a professional opera singer or not considering that your party members are the only people watching it. :v:

There's a ton of people in seats behind the orchestra.

Difficulty wise the game seems exactly the same. I was blitzing through it with minimal enemy encounters and wasn't having any more trouble than normal.

Tunnel armor was always kind of hard if you fought it normally and didn't do any extra levelling so it's not surprising that it's still smashing people, especially first timers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Here's an interview with Uematsu about redoing the opera scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEmCUph3XNw

main highlights that have been translated are that redoing it with vocals was his idea and Celes' voice actress in every language being an untrained singer was intentional

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Coffee Jones posted:

It could be that the same thing happened for FF6; a big coherent story bible was written but what makes into the game is another matter altogether,
I don't know if it was coherent but we know from interviews that there were grander ambitions that didn't fit, even beyond the cut characters (Strago's wife and an "older sister" foil for Cyan post-Doma (not actually related, just the kind of personality she'd have)). The various characters had different design leads - the woman who wrote Edgar and Sabin had pretty in-depth backstories, motivations, and quirks made up for them (she was also a lead on Xenogears and the Fatima clan is... basically Figaro 2.0. Bart's even a descendant of Rene and Roni!) There's a doujin by her called Figaro no Kekkon (The Marriage of Figaro) for which she gives a disclaimer to not treat as canon, but a lot of names and details are the same as she'd given in a prior interview for VI. It's full of details, like Edgar not growing up with a mother informing his fascination with women, and how the princes' middle names are culturally private and only given to non-family they feel especially close to (Sabin gives his to Gau and Cyan).

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Final Fantasy Tactics: Simplified Rules Edition
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1496919795849117707?s=20&t=za1iaF6b9a8ExpWtw5Kchg

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEmCUph3XNw

main highlights that have been translated are that redoing it with vocals was his idea and Celes' voice actress in every language being an untrained singer was intentional

Wow I can't believe Uematsu is bad now. The George Lucas of video game music.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I really, really wish that Ultima IV would get a Dawn of Souls/Advance style remaster.

If they're going to do one, it'd be awesome to do the entire avatar trilogy, complete with serpent isles. Man I'd love to play those games, but it's just so hard to go back to them

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Frida Call Me posted:

was watching a buddy play through and they got destroyed by tunnel armor in the locke scenario. the tunnel armor was casting two spells per celes turn, so it was impossible to runic all of them. i told them to grind out three levels and try again, and that was enough, but wow i don't remember that being so difficult originally.

I didn’t have any weapons for Celes (I was sure I could find one on the way, but whoops) so I was largely having her heal each round while Locke knifed it down.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

I’m gonna kick ur fuckin butt

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

He couldn't achieve his ideals with the technology available at the time.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Elvis_Maximus posted:

If they're going to do one, it'd be awesome to do the entire avatar trilogy, complete with serpent isles. Man I'd love to play those games, but it's just so hard to go back to them

All of this, absolutely. I particularly can't get into the groove with 6 with the squashed field of view. 7 at least has Exult to help out a bit, but I'd love a remaster of those. (And get the people who did the Lazarus soundtrack to work on this, because their arrangements were *excellent * and I still listen to them today)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I can't find an Oversoul on the Phantom Train for the life of me. :cripes:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vichan posted:

I can't find an Oversoul on the Phantom Train for the life of me. :cripes:

You can only find them in the 6th car of the train, which unfortunately happens to be the one that you disconnect. So if you've already done that you've missed them for good.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can find in the interior cars with seats, not just the one car.

I found it after disconnecting the previous cars.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Fister Roboto posted:

You can only find them in the 6th car of the train, which unfortunately happens to be the one that you disconnect. So if you've already done that you've missed them for good.

I've been running around inside trying to get the encounter to spawn but no luck, I already reloaded because I figured it had to be that car... :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Leal posted:

He couldn't achieve his ideals with the technology available at the time.

As an aside, this is actually why I've always felt 8 was one of his strongest works.

1-7 and 9, almost all the music feels like it was written with the intent of mimicking actual instruments, (and from 10 on we're at the point where synth instruments sound drat close to the real thing).

With 8, a lot of the tracks have this really unique synthy sound that I never felt would really translate well into real instrumentation. This was actually reinforced by the Eden raids in 14. One example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqlRxsCBXyk

Obviously you can hear that the instruments tend toward some synth organs and synth strings, with some electric guitar synths later on, but they're very clearly all synths. Compare that to the 14 version, which is orchestrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pd0ALPOhnQ

It just doesn't work nearly as well, IMO.

I can't prove it was intentional, but it really feels like 8 (and 10 also) were where Uematsu went "you know what? I'm going techno on this one instead of trying to mimic orchestration as usual" and as a result I think it really stands on its own among the FF soundtracks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Vichan posted:

I've been running around inside trying to get the encounter to spawn but no luck, I already reloaded because I figured it had to be that car... :(

I just got an Oversoul encounter in, like, the second random battle in the car with the save point after the disconnect event.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

50 Rage Trophy earned. Now I never have to interact with this dumb character's mechanic ever again.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Evil Fluffy posted:

Autobattle is absolutely not a guaranteed steal even with the thief bracer. I think the first merchant took 6 or 7 attempts to steal their stuff. I forgot to fight a Heavy Armor though so I couldn't learn it as a Rage on Gau but that doesn't matter because Gau still comes with Brawler (or whatever it's called now) as one of his starting Rages and that can still do 2000+ damage with Stone even on a level 10 Gau. :black101:
I wasn't saying autobattle was a guaranteed steal, I was saying that playing the original game I don't remember ever failing to steal from the soldier or merchant, I thought those steals were basically guaranteed.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Coffee Jones posted:

still, it's nice not having the all the character sprites constrained to the same rectangle, like they have to make the old SNES get the most out of the 3MB of ROM they allotted it

The rectangle thing is probably unrelated to ROM size, I haven't worked on the SNES specifically but most of these systems are setup to display tiles in sizes a multiple of 8 (8x8, 16x8, 8x16, 16x16, .etc). You can compress these pretty heavily on cart but uncompressed it eats more VRAM or you have to display extra sprites.

Anyway, I was suprised to see that the actual underlying resolution of these games seems to be 180p, which is less than the SNES (256x224). I figured they would have gone higher.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I got to the Opera Scene (in English), my immediate thoughts:

1. Is the singer for Draco literally just the person from the Distant Worlds performances?
2. Uematsu's choice to have Celes be kind of an amateur tracks; in the immediately preceding scene, she's flustered to the point where she crashes into the dressing room door forgetting to open it, and is frantically practicing her singing; she knows she's not great but god drat is she trying to give it her all
3. The opera soundtrack being muffled when you leave the area is absolutely amazing
4. Ultros stop being so thirsty

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Harrow posted:

If you want Celes to sound like she can actually sing for the opera scene, switch to Italian, I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1TQOdBsYdI

This version strikes a much better balance than the English one I think. She still doesn't sound like a professional opera singer on most notes but she does sound like she has an uncommonly good singing voice and puts a lot of emotion into the performance.

can you switch language mid-game?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Adeptus posted:

If you have an Nvidia card you can force vsync using the Nvidia control panel. AMD might have a similar option, but I'm not familiar with their software.

this is what I've had to do on my nvidias and it works well

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Bosses don't seem any harder. I think when I killed Phantom Train Sabin/Cyan/Shadow were still level 10-11 and had low enough HP that the bombs could one-shot any of them with Blaze (and did so multiple times to Shadow :argh:). Even after beating up Kefka at Narshe I don't think anyone in my party has over 300hp without equipment but the fights arr still about the same as they were on the SNES version.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Harrow posted:

If you want Celes to sound like she can actually sing for the opera scene, switch to Italian, I guess?

*snip*

This version strikes a much better balance than the English one I think. She still doesn't sound like a professional opera singer on most notes but she does sound like she has an uncommonly good singing voice and puts a lot of emotion into the performance.

Blockhouse posted:

*snip*

For reference with what Uematsu was going for for the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGl4FqUeFS0

Also game is good ya'll.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can you play this "two player" like how back in the day you could use another controller to let someone else input commands in battle?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Frida Call Me posted:

Runic eats every spell they throw at you until the next time Celes gets a turn, unless they changed it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Runic is active until it absorbs a spell or you input another action, at least in this version. I also got killed by the Tunnel Armor because it cast a spell before Celes got her turn, which was cool.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah Tunnel Armor kept getting off a poison right before Celes could re-up Runic for me. Thankfully I had the Ribbon on her so it wasn't too bad.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there a way of playing the Dawn of Souls remakes of FF1 and 2 other than on the GBA/PSX?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Is there a way of playing the Dawn of Souls remakes of FF1 and 2 other than on the GBA/PSX?

There is not, but just because I can't resist being pedantic: the PSX version of FF2 is not the same as the Dawn of Souls version (the same is true for FF1). Notably, the PSX version of FF2 still allows stats to decrease, and doesn't have the extra post game dungeon of the Emperor taking over Heaven. The Final Fantasy Origins versions of 1/2 are basically just upgraded graphics/sound/music and a new translation with no new content from the original, though I think FFI did have a toggle for easy mode and to change between the MP style of casting and the spell levels system, whereas Dawn of Souls didn't have those options.

e: Basically the Pixel Remaster versions of 1/2 are functionally identical to Final Fantasy Origins, just with much better music and slightly different graphics.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
PSP has them. Mobile used to but they probably got pulled in favor of the PR releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh, poo poo, yeah, I forgot that I and II got PSP editions to celebrate the 20th anniversary that do have the Dawn of Souls content. Also way better music than the Dawn of Souls versions.