Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

We all need to be ready to move on. I don't know when, but it will be soon enough.

The upshot is that these days, that'll probably be a five minute process of deploying a new docker container and running something to just bulk-import the Plex databases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I would probably pay like $50 a year to keep plex up and running, as much as I use it.

Plex Prime!

It’s ridiculously easy to just have emby running concurrently on the same library even so I dunno what Plex could possibly charge for. I do agree a $50/year charge would not be unreasonable but no way they’re gonna get the genie back in the bottle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I would probably pay like $50 a year to keep plex up and running, as much as I use it.

Absolutely me too. But they didn't do that and instead completely screwed up their "business model" while chasing capital. It's pretty tragic for such a formerly good project.

priznat posted:

Plex Prime!

It’s ridiculously easy to just have emby running concurrently on the same library even so I dunno what Plex could possibly charge for. I do agree a $50/year charge would not be unreasonable but no way they’re gonna get the genie back in the bottle.

E: I've done this for a while......and it was a while ago. The biggies issue locally is syncing watched/unwatched. I have no idea how any of this works for sharing your server out and past that their watched/unwatched.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I would pay $50-60/year if they integrated TVe streaming into the DVR product.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What’s TVe? Google is bringing up a whole different bunch of stuff when I look it up.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Motronic posted:

Absolutely me too. But they didn't do that and instead completely screwed up their "business model" while chasing capital. It's pretty tragic for such a formerly good project.
Where are you pulling this assumption from?
People do this all the time, and it's usually because they can't understand sales will be ongoing, even from lifetime passes.
They've been cash-flow positive since 2014, and on the strength of that trend pulled in further investment last year to expand their buying power for rights with their webTV/film offerings.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Khablam posted:

Where are you pulling this assumption from?
People do this all the time, and it's usually because they can't understand sales will be ongoing, even from lifetime passes.
They've been cash-flow positive since 2014, and on the strength of that trend pulled in further investment last year to expand their buying power for rights with their webTV/film offerings.

I'm "pulling this assumption" from the very things I've quoted from your post.

If that's the project you think will continue to serve your needs in that trajectory great.....you can ignore my post entirely. You're all set.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Motronic posted:

Well, I'd say that they actually just planted a flag in terms of where they want to make money from. The plex passes (subscription or lifetime) were abandoned as a business model and they made a hard pivot towards being a yet-another streaming platform, selling ads, and harvesting data for sale. If they ever get users who go to plex for the free garbage they've licensed to stream then they'll start injecting rentals and premium pay for content alongside the freestuff.

Eventually (or the moment a big company acquires them) the ability to even host your own libraries will die-off because it's no longer their model.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

they made a hard pivot towards being a yet-another streaming platform, selling ads, and harvesting data for sale. If they ever get users who go to plex for the free garbage they've licensed to stream then they'll start injecting rentals and premium pay for content alongside the freestuff.

Eventually (or the moment a big company acquires them) the ability to even host your own libraries will die-off because it's no longer their model.

That's the core of how I see it. And not how and why I started using this thing. So, as I said, it will be time to move on at some point in the future.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Motronic posted:

I'm "pulling this assumption" from the very things I've quoted from your post.

If that's the project you think will continue to serve your needs in that trajectory great.....you can ignore my post entirely. You're all set.
It's extremely common for companies to seek later investment to try to develop a new revenue stream whilst leaving the profitable core business cash-positive. The assumption they need their TV/movie deals to work or their "business model" has failed is your own, and is not backed by the companies financials.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Khablam posted:

It's extremely common for companies to seek later investment to try to develop a new revenue stream whilst leaving the profitable core business cash-positive. The assumption they need their TV/movie deals to work or their "business model" has failed is your own, and is not backed by the companies financials.

Yes, it absolutely is.

You still don't' understand what I'm saying and I'm not sure how to rephrase it in a way that makes you understand.

To be clear: I don't care about Plex as a company. I care about what it does for me personally. What is happening is steadily getting worse for my purposes and use case. If you just want an ad-supported roku/fire channel then stay tuned because this is absolutely going to meet your expectations soon.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Motronic posted:

You still don't' understand what I'm saying and I'm not sure how to rephrase it in a way that makes you understand.
I understand you fully. You're suggesting plex is "doomed" as a way to watch your own media, because they're seeking revenue beyond selling plex-pass on features you don't personally want to use.
I disagree anything they've done suggests the above.
I'll note you've been saying some variation of the above for 3 years so perhaps you can also divine when Soon™ is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Khablam posted:

I understand you fully. You're suggesting plex is "doomed" as a way to watch your own media, because they're seeking revenue beyond selling plex-pass on features you don't personally want to use.
I disagree anything they've done suggests the above.
I'll note you've been saying some variation of the above for 3 years so perhaps you can also divine when Soon™ is.

What I'm watching is a creeping of unwanted features that I have to select out of on each device in an increasing pace, removal of plugins, etc.

Not sure why you're so offended by this. But maybe your use case is different. And if that's the case great: none of this is going to affect you so you don't have to worry about it.

I'll repeat: I have no inside knowledge of Plex so I have no idea how long it will take before it's something that is no longer useful to me. But this is the trajectory that is just well trodden and pretty obvious to anyone who has spent any time working bay area style tech companies.

Can they pull out of this? Maybe? I don't know....because I know nothing about them other than what I observe as an end user. And what I observe is not at all good.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh hey someone mad a OSS plug-in that does the Plex Arcade stuff but gooder. https://retroarcher.github.io/

There are also a few other “stream ur romz” solutions out there as well, just sans Plex integration.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Plex 2023 update includes pre- and interstitial video ads based on your library content! Opt out monthly!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Blah blah blah you don’t like it don’t use it. End.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

What’s TVe? Google is bringing up a whole different bunch of stuff when I look it up.

"TV everywhere". It's the auth system that pretty much every cable company uses to let their subscribers access live TV from their branded apps. I'm still that guy with a linear TV sub and a house of tivos and it would be nice to have a migration path.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I share my Plex server out to a dozen or so friends who wouldn't be using Plex if they didn't have access to my server, and you'd all be surprised at how many of them actually watch the sponsored Plex content channels.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Qwijib0 posted:

"TV everywhere". It's the auth system that pretty much every cable company uses to let their subscribers access live TV from their branded apps. I'm still that guy with a linear TV sub and a house of tivos and it would be nice to have a migration path.

Ah gotcha! I have cable too but hoping to dump the tv side in a few months.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah gotcha! I have cable too but hoping to dump the tv side in a few months.

While it wasn't the case even a few years ago, at this point I'm getting the Linear cable for almost "nothing"-- the TV bundle discount cuts enough off the internet service, and the cable logins work for peacock, HBO, paramount, and ESPN to the point where cord cutting and living the app life wouldn't save me enough to deal with the multiple interfaces. I know this is tangentially the stuff that fell off a truck thread and that is a solution, but for a lot of throwaway TV I like the DVR recording workflow. Momentum is a hell of a drug etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I mainly keep mine around for the NHL season, as while streams exist I'm happy to pay for a working solution. However, if I can sort out blackout issues with ESPN+ (using DNS services I thought I'd be able to watch without issue, but it's been 50/50 so far) then that costs me about 1/10 what the cable package is costing me, and I don't need it at all throughout the summer. Then it's just the odd live sporting event that if it's big enough is often covered by the BBC I can watch using DNS and SNL which I can just use an antenna for once I get a decent one installed. The dog has currently hidden the cable remote too, which is very useful.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah, DNS services with ESPN+ are not nearly as seamless as they were with NHL Game Pass. At least, the couple I’ve tried have been kinda bad.

Let me know if you find a good solution!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...-of-Growth.html

I can’t imagine there is much growth left.

Personally I have switched to Infuse with plex backend. I can easily swap to Nas shares or jellyfin within 30 minutes. Will be interesting to see how hosed up plex gets.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's been deleted but this doesn't bode well for that growth guy they hired:

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

EngineerJoe posted:

It's been deleted but this doesn't bode well for that growth guy they hired:

WTF. Looks like they deleted that post.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I don’t see this as the same thing as “muffins for the twin towers.” CNNs twitter links to their streams. Plex was linking to actual news?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I don’t think saying ‘hey you probably don’t know this because nobody uses our channels, but we have rolling coverage’ is that bad. Word it a little better, but not everyone has cable news and I’m sure some would find it useful.

I don’t know the channel personally, so just assuming they aren’t dodgy.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I actually turned on that channel tonight due to that post. I didn't know Plex had it and wanted a way to catch up.

So, yeah, I appreciated it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah honestly that doesn't seem like a real bad thing. People are just in a rush to be outraged sometimes.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
now if they were promoting the Arnold-Jim Belushi classic "Red Heat" being free to watch in that tweet, I could see the concern

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Also, isn't this literally how CNN took off by having coverage of the Gulf War? This just seems like people wanting to get outraged at something. More like what people in this thread are saying. Plex isn't the place to be "Netflix, but with your own media" but yet another streaming platform.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

gariig posted:

This just seems like people wanting to get outraged at something.

Well, yeah. I thought this was the primary way to score points in Twitter?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I only have internet and no access to live TV (...legally) so to see Tweet like that I'm more likely to check to see whats going on. Twitter outrage is greatly exaggerated and is best ignored.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The issue is that plex isn't a news service and that was more of an ad. The "Breaking" didn't help either. FWIW after the invasion started I saw a pretty gross CNN promo spot about their coverage of all the exciting war stuff so it's not like CNN is any better.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It's not outrageous, it's just tacky

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Anyone know why this happens in my Photos?

It will divide some albums taken on the same day and spread them out as if they were separate days.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got Downloads to work. All it took was sshing into my router, learning how to use Vi, editing /etc/hosts, and reinstalling every plex client. wtf.

I'm no superhacker, but this post sent me in the right direction: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/t9lbvv/plex_wont_download_to_my_phone_on_the_same/hzw86h1/

It still fails like half the time.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 10, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

eddiewalker posted:

The Sex Panther of Plex features.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

eddiewalker posted:

I got Downloads to work. All it took was sshing into my router, learning how to use Vi, editing /etc/hosts, and reinstalling every plex client. wtf.

I'm no superhacker, but this post sent me in the right direction: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/t9lbvv/plex_wont_download_to_my_phone_on_the_same/hzw86h1/

Oh hey look at that, it works now. Goddamn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I'm running a Plex server on a Linux laptop and streaming to my XBOX via Ethernet. 99% of the time they're MKV files. The issue I'm having is the initial streaming tends to stutter for the first 30-45 seconds because I guess it is trying to buffer. Is there any way of configuring Plex to spend more time buffering during the initial playback? I will happily click play on a new video and wait 15 seconds if it means playback will be smooth for the entirety of the video. I am using the "Optimize for TV" option and it definitely helps a lot, but there are still stuttering issues that occur. I've read some articles online but they all address general buffering or stuttering problems, whereas for me my concern is just at the beginning of playing a video. Once after those 30-45 seconds of initial buffering, it's smooth sailing for me and I have no issues whatsoever with playback.