Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Ola posted:

Over the past 30 years, the West has tried in good faith to include Russia in trade, in science, in politics low and high, in global society at every level. The degradation of Russia can be blamed squarely on the corrupt leadership. Maybe the West wasn't harsh enough soon enough, but that's what comes with good faith.

The West isn’t a monolith, and while this is probably true of Europe it is less true of America. Russia is in a horrible state in part because Yeltsin made a good faith effort to ally with the West at a time when that meant implementing the “Washington Consensus”, a series of neoliberal reforms that - and I genuinely don’t think this was understood by anyone at the time, conspiracy theories notwithstanding - are a recipe for disaster. Other countries learned from the catastrophe that was the collapse of the Russian economy in the 90s so it clearly is avoidable.

As of now I’m not sure where this leaves Russia when this all resolves except as Chinese junior ally / client state. They get to be East Germany to China’s USSR, maybe.

One thing about energy: renewables are slowly but surely changing geopolitics. When I was a kid the UK got about 3% of energy from renewables: last year it was 43%. Not everywhere is so extreme but it’s got to have an impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ukrainian 24 Hour Field Ration Review Pork Tushonka & Kasha MRE Meal Ready to Eat Tasting Test by everyone's favorite MRE expert Steve1989MREInfo

Nice. Now lets get this out onto a tray.

Makes you want to join the fight, just to get a piece of that food.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

NATO expanded eastward because those countries didn't want to be reinvaded by Russians seeking to resurrect the USSR.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Baronjutter posted:

Russia's GDP is about on par with Canada's. They just have nukes and know how to play the west.

Since I have a feeling that this was a response to a question with the subtext "Russia was more influential economic wise, why do they seem so relevant in history?"

Much of the former iron curtain STILL hasn't recovered their economies from the fall of communism.

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/957901889500303360

Until it's dissolution the USSR's economy was near that of the US (PPP) and second place nominal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_largest_historical_GDP

The crash and the gradual recovery has resulted in them being lesser of a share of the economy than their heydays. There are countries that seemed to have handled the transition great such as Estonia, but many haven't been so lucky.

Russia unfortunately has gone down a dark path of trying to regain it's glory days instead of modernizing it's economy. Whether that's from a pro or anti Washington consensus.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 25, 2022

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ola posted:

Over the past 30 years, the West has tried in good faith to include Russia in trade, in science, in politics low and high, in global society at every level. The degradation of Russia can be blamed squarely on the corrupt leadership. Maybe the West wasn't harsh enough soon enough, but that's what comes with good faith.

do you actually believe your own incredibly vague handwavey summary of the past thirty loving years as ''the west" tried in good faith but bad leaders, oh well, bring out stick?' do you think, possibly, you might need more than two facile sentences? maybe three?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Hold on, this claims Ukrainians did hit a Russian airfield with ballistic missiles, inside Russia.

Apparently, it triggered a radar intrusion.

*concern intensifies*

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I fail to see how conservative tagging may cause issue with anyone. Did you get recoil in horror from not seeing intestines of a dozen Ukrainian children spilled out in the first photo?

I mean it's not a huge deal dude but generally in such threads NMS gets saved for when there's gore or bodies or whatever and imo if this thread is going to go all in on content warnings, might as well use them consistently and in a prudent way. I appreciate that stuff is tagged personally because I have a very low limit for the amount of war tragedy footage I can handle at a time and I limit the amount of it that i'll click on accordingly.

not my call tho, so do as you will

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
https://twitter.com/Frances_Coppola/status/1497105223180980226

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/...ingawful.com%2F

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Sounds like infantry/special forces are moving into Kyiv outskirts now.
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497117472830332933

Also, more aftermath footage in Kherson
https://twitter.com/no_itsmyturn/status/1497116494660046852

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fuligin posted:

do you actually believe your own incredibly vague handwavey summary of the past thirty loving years as ''the west" tried in good faith but bad leaders, oh well, bring out stick?' do you think, possibly, you might need more than two facile sentences? maybe three?

I think I need more yes. Do you think the post I was responding to was sufficient? I'm not going to go on about it in here anyway. And anyone who belives the West (whatever you want that to mean) are the biggest bad guys aren't going to be convinced anyway, so why bother?

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Ola posted:

I think I need more yes. Do you think the post I was responding to was sufficient? I'm not going to go on about it in here anyway. And anyone who belives the West (whatever you want that to mean) are the biggest bad guys aren't going to be convinced anyway, so why bother?

If your analysis of geopolitics involves bad guys and good guys, then it is deficient.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Lets slow down here by this giant huge burning gas tank...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dick Ripple posted:

yeah, that uhh, yeah

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WorkerThread posted:

If your analysis of geopolitics involves bad guys and good guys, then it is deficient.

mlyp

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

WorkerThread posted:

I don't think you can characterize the west's intervention in the post Soviet economy as good faith. We came in and wrecked the place.

edit: researching for shock therapy is a good starting point

Sadly, for many it was in good faith. It was just a bad religion.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Smeef posted:

Yeah as far as I can tell the high priests of shock therapy genuinely believed in it, they were just wrong, with hideous consequences.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I just saw some APCs rolling down the street in Kiev on one of the live streams. I'm pretty sure they were Ukrainian considering they were just rolling along with civilian traffic.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Dick Ripple posted:

propane tanks are cool and are engineered to be basically impossible to blow up from merely a fire on the side. If there's a very sustained heat source underneath you can get a bleve, but from that kind of fire they'll just offgas at a steady rate like that

anyways considering that there is a piece of artillery pointed down the bridge for direct fire :stare: that propane tank is probably the least of anyone's worries

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I mean it's not a huge deal dude but generally in such threads NMS gets saved for when there's gore or bodies or whatever and imo if this thread is going to go all in on content warnings, might as well use them consistently and in a prudent way. I appreciate that stuff is tagged personally because I have a very low limit for the amount of war tragedy footage I can handle at a time and I limit the amount of it that i'll click on accordingly.

not my call tho, so do as you will

Now I’m even more confused. You say that you like to limit your exposure to war tragedy, and which is why it was an issue that I tagged a blown up residential building?

Sorry, maybe I’m being thick here or need to wake up, but I’m utterly confused.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, not to doompost too much, but, what happens if Russia announces that they've secured proof that the Ukrainian government was interfering in the US elections against Donald Trump? Does this further fracture US support, or, hopefully, does it help further the schism in the Republican Party between the anti-Putin factions and the Trump-worship factions?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Now I’m even more confused. You say that you like to limit your exposure to war tragedy, and which is why it was an issue that I tagged a blown up residential building?

Sorry, maybe I’m being thick here or need to wake up, but I’m utterly confused.

Save the most extreme tag for the most extreme stuff is what I'm saying.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

So, not to doompost too much, but, what happens if Russia announces that they've secured proof that the Ukraine government was interfering in the US elections against Donald Trump? Does this further fracture US support, or, hopefully, does it help further the schism in the Republican Party between the anti-Putin factions and the Trump-worship factions?

At this point the Russian government could announce the sky is blue and I would still wait for like 5 more reliable sources in addition to my own eyes to confirm. Trump's faithful are certain that there was zero foreign influence and everyone else already lost whatever trust they had in Putin.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Aljazeera is reporting that the russians may have reached Obolon in Kiev city:-

https://twitter.com/AJABreaking/status/1497123808989298690?s=20&t=00Ur-pPPn2sfeeonNYkkCg

Here it is on the map:-

Definitely not good news for the Ukranians

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Smeef posted:

It's not in the least difficult to believe that diehard neoliberals genuinely believed in shock therapy rather than it being some covert operation to permanently thwart Eastern Europe from ever rivaling their Western counterparts again.

While a Russia mirroring China's state capitalism or doing a gradual stride toward a more open market like Vietnam would have likely been far better for the country, it's understandable why a nation saying "we are done with communism, we want what you have, what's the best way to do it?" and they received the answers that they got.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’ll try, but I’ll err on the conservative side, since in literally grew up in the same kinds of building that I’m seeing shelled, etcetera.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

punk rebel ecks posted:

Since I have a feeling that this was a response to a question with the subtext "Russia was more influential economic wise, why do they seem so relevant in history?"

Much of the former iron curtain STILL hasn't recovered their economies from the fall of communism.

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/957901889500303360

Until it's dissolution the USSR's economy was near that of the US (PPP) and second place nominal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_largest_historical_GDP

The crash and the gradual recovery has resulted in them being lesser of a share of the economy than their heydays. There are countries that seemed to have handled the transition great such as Estonia, but many haven't been so lucky.

Russia unfortunately has gone down a dark path of trying to regain it's glory days instead of modernizing it's economy. Whether that's from a pro or anti Washington consensus.

Should be noted that even among post-USSR states Ukraine has done particularly bad economically since the 1990s. When you are lagging behind an isolated landlocked puppet state like Belarus you've doing pretty badly, and unfortunately that has made them all the more susceptible to Russian invasion.

https://noahpinion.substack.com/p/why-is-ukraine-such-an-economic-failure?utm_source=url

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Think it's best is to just accurately state what it is.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

propane tanks are cool and are engineered to be basically impossible to blow up from merely a fire on the side. If there's a very sustained heat source underneath you can get a bleve, but from that kind of fire they'll just offgas at a steady rate like that

anyways considering that there is a piece of artillery pointed down the bridge for direct fire :stare: that propane tank is probably the least of anyone's worries

Yes, I am aware. But still not going to hang out by the drat thing.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

This was probably posted somewhere already, but I feel it's worthy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHfxen6Jplg
No graphic content, just a radio transmission

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Twitter is aflame with news of Russian or stolen Ukrainian tanks in the north side of Kiev.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Supposed saboteurs got got
possible casualty?
https://twitter.com/AbraxasSpa/status/1497131591230971922

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 25, 2022

szary
Mar 12, 2014
You should probably spoiler/NMS that tweet.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Russians are making another go at hostomel airport

https://twitter.com/liveuamap/status/1497114586725687297?s=21

unconfirmed video from dubious source of russian paratroops at hostomel

https://twitter.com/asbmilitary/status/1497126208319938563?s=21

this is really embarrassing for the ukranians if they managed to lose the airport twice

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
That or they never really retook it. If they did so, one could expect to see the prisoners they took.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
As some have pointed out in the twitter threads, if Russians are dressing as Ukraine and civilians are armed, things may get messy.

Or it could of course all be Russian propaganda.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Al-Saqr posted:

this is really embarrassing for the ukranians if they managed to lose the airport twice

Ughhhhhh what the heck

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dick Ripple posted:

That or they never really retook it. If they did so, one could expect to see the prisoners they took.

Yeah I was very suspicious that if the ukranians had managed to win such a great victory and kill 200 VDV troops they would’ve released any footage about the fact that they didn’t makes me think that great victory was just propaganda

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

Showing prisoners of war on camera is a war crime, so that’s not really an expectation fair to hold.

Recoome posted:

Ughhhhhh what the heck

Let’s not overreact on a basis of video showing one trooper in a generic side street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

No. It's inevitable that they are going to lose it, it was heroic that they didn't lose it first time around.