Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

What if the Devil Fruits are Shandians? King is I think the first living being we have seen displaying abilities similar to a Logia fruit, plus his race is nearly extinct and has been heavily experimented on. It adds up, at least for Logia and maybe Paramecia fruits. Although it would mean there used to be an Ice shandiand, a mochi shandian, a candlewax shandian, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Elfgames posted:

people can just really easily generate fire in the one piece world, luffy, sanji, kinemon

My theory is a bunch of people in the world have Lunarian ancestors several generations back (i.e. before the void century), and some of them can develop the power to generate flames under moments of strong emotion or concentration.

Sanji likely has some extra stuff going on with him, given how his genetics were messed with by both his parents.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Bisse posted:

What if the Devil Fruits are Shandians? King is I think the first living being we have seen displaying abilities similar to a Logia fruit, plus his race is nearly extinct and has been heavily experimented on. It adds up, at least for Logia and maybe Paramecia fruits. Although it would mean there used to be an Ice shandiand, a mochi shandian, a candlewax shandian, etc.

I don't think that's it exactly, though I've wondered about something like this in regard to Toki. It's strange that her name is identical to her ability. It feels too deliberate a decision on Oda's part to be nothing.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i forgot how beautiful the fishman island art was

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
like i know this era of the manga gets a lot of poo poo for its art direction and composition but the quality itself is wild

but i think if that was anything it was more that something had to give with his traditional style getting jammed into more and more ambitious horror vacui with more and more assistants to satisfy that ambition

i see it bandied about that things got a lot more cohesive when he shifted his style and brought back the best of both worlds with impactful use of empty space and hyper-detailed environments that you could discern the locus of action through, but the art itself from fishman island in a vacuum has some really sick setpieces and some of his best perspective use, especially with noah bearing down on the island which gives me the same cool mood at the existential threat as the climax of skypiea

Violen fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 21, 2022

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
probably the best of both worlds for the wrist too lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Violen posted:

like i know this era of the manga gets a lot of poo poo for its art direction and composition but the quality itself is wild

but i think if that was anything it was more that something had to give with his traditional style getting jammed into more and more ambitious horror vacui with more and more assistants to satisfy that ambition

i see it bandied about that things got a lot more cohesive when he shifted his style and brought back the best of both worlds with impactful use of empty space and hyper-detailed environments that you could discern the locus of action through, but the art itself from fishman island in a vacuum has some really sick setpieces and some of his best perspective use, especially with noah bearing down on the island which gives me the same cool mood at the existential threat as the climax of skypiea

who gives oda poo poo for his art? they will taste my blade.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
to be clear i think it owns across the whole journey honestly lol but that's because i like the philosophy behind its entire overarching look

but that journey has definitely been a real thing in terms of art evolution both in use and aesthetic

Violen fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 21, 2022

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
over the length of the story i think we'd have been worse off if he wasn't as interested in changing his art over 20 years. i miss the goofy cartoon look sometimes but sometimes i miss cutting highschool and playing dota in my friends basement for twelve hours.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I like every stage of Oda’s art but I did randomly
read a little garden era chapter recently and it was nostalgic seeing the way the crew used to look

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Bisse posted:

That's my current thought too. I don't really have much to back it up but inheriting someones powers would go with a series that loves inherited will. It requires a way to turn people into devil fruits or some magic tree that grew from the blood of a bunch of executed void century rebels or something similar.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Elfgames posted:

this is called a book

books.......... are good

Paper Lion posted:

ive been reading one piece since the OG monthly shonen jumps. had every issue. its been 20 years this past month. christ

I got a shonen jump from a scholastic book fair in middle school at abt the same time. had the naruto chapters with the original zabuza kakashi encounter and then naruto+sasuke chakra training, with the one piece chapters being the zoro v kabaji then luffy v buggy fights. I hunted down naruto first but I remember like a third of the thread posts every week being like "hm. this chapter was fine. ONE PIECE HOWEVER, IS OWNING" and god drat they were right to say it lmao

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Merphy is now fully caught up! 😭❤️

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
I just figured out who Joy Boy is:

it's you, the viewer/reader

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh no

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

looks great OP, keep it up

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:yikeseroo:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

OK, that one had to be intentional.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

a pirate's dream will never die

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I got the tude now posted:

dont call him Italian again or we'll have trouble, kapeesh?

ooh his aching hand....

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Death Bot posted:

books.......... are good

not in the middle of a comic

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
need... one piece.... lore....

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Stay quenched knowing there is not a break week after this next chap.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

The World Inferno posted:

Stay quenched knowing there is not a break week after this next chap.

The best spoiler.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Brandfarlig posted:

That's my current thought too. I don't really have much to back it up but inheriting someones powers would go with a series that loves inherited will. It requires a way to turn people into devil fruits or some magic tree that grew from the blood of a bunch of executed void century rebels or something similar.

the shandians believe that their spirits return to the trees at death, so its definitely an idea in the story.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/429/one-piece-chapter-1041

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
one piece... good? good!

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I think the order to kill Luffy is from Ims crown thing, not necessarily because of the devil fruit.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Looking forward to CP0 trying to interrupt the end of the fight only to get flattened by both Luffy and Kaido.
Also, I'm still hopeful we'll see Hiyori execute Orochi by beheading him with her dad's other sword.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pudding is cool.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Anyone wanna take bets on how long till the battle ends for good? I’m not talking Kaido vs Luffy, but the whole floating island bomb being resolved.

Im betting 7 chapters to resolve it all

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
One Piece? One Piece!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
One Piece...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

man at this rate it feels like the island itself is just going to fall apart before it even has a chance to crash land. The whole place really is collapsing in on itself between the battle on the roof, against big mom, the spreading fire, the bomb going off, etc.

Also in case anyone was curious like me, Big Mom is ~9 years older than Kaido so she's 24 right in the flashback

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

thoughts on reading this chapter:

- pudding and sanji will get married
- I really don't care for Momonosuke being The Chosen One
- I didn't expect the masked CP0 guy to be a jobber
- it's still jarring to see tama's mind-control dango fruit be played for laughs
- 20-something linlin was a hottie
- the Five Elders are scared of Luffy's fruit awakening, which sucks since it makes Luffy The Other Chosen One
- Zoro ain't getting back up again, and if he does he'll have taken some kind of permanent damage

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

One Piece rules and Pudding rules. And it's just lovely seeing Hiyori with Orochi right now.

Siliziumleben posted:

thoughts on reading this chapter:

- I didn't expect the masked CP0 guy to be a jobber

uh, how many people did that duo take down before ONE of them finally went down???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

KAIDO FLASHBACK KAIDO FLASHBACK KAIDO FLASHBACK

Asuron posted:

Anyone wanna take bets on how long till the battle ends for good? I’m not talking Kaido vs Luffy, but the whole floating island bomb being resolved.

Im betting 7 chapters to resolve it all

Depends if if/how long a flashback is if we get it.