Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

Haven't seen this posted here yet, but it looks like NATO is gearing up.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1497280435612758017

Uhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TulliusCicero posted:

NATO sure seems to be doing a lot of troop movements right now onto the border.

Is this just a show of force to Putin? Just a tripwire if he decides to get antsy and go after Poland or something?

The only thing anyone here knows for sure is that NATO is working with far more information than anyone on SA has - and more importantly, even if anyone here does have confirmed information, it would be a massive mistake to post it publicly. If NATO is saying they believe Russia has further ambitions than Ukraine, odds are they know what they're talking about.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

Statement on CNN from former Ukranian President Poroshenko in Kyiv. You can tell he's emotional

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1497189957395488778?t=nSm9oXSJDnpkmK54y4M30w&s=19

Anyone still clinging to 'Zelensky has to worry about getting couped' should probably reflect a bit on this story.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Young Freud posted:

A lot of people are saying their disposable like a AT4.

They're semi-disposable: the Javelin consist of a preloaded launch tube and a Command Launch Unit (CLU), a set of sights and launcher controls. When fired, the tube is disposed of but CLU comes off and a new launch tube is attached.

They were asking about the NLAW, not a javi. But good info!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Young Freud posted:

A lot of people are saying their disposable like a AT4.

They're semi-disposable: the Javelin consist of a preloaded launch tube and a Command Launch Unit (CLU), a set of sights and launcher controls. When fired, the tube is disposed of but CLU comes off and a new launch tube is attached.

I think they were asking specifically about the NLAW, which is a newer man-portable anti-tank missile built by the UK and Sweden. It came out around 2009, I think? The Javelin is a bit older. Similar concepts and capabilities, though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Inner Light posted:

Is that really MRLS though? Why are the explosions so tiny, like tinier than 1 frag grenade each?

Seems like a strange ineffective weapon.

firing cluster rounds apparently?

TheRat posted:

This is just fantasy. A bottle of gasoline isn't going to heat up a massive slab of steel significantly, and you have no basis to say that active warzone tanks have no air filters because some russian sold them all.

eh people were using them to significant effect in syria, particularly along with oil soaked rugs

not something anyone wants to be using probably and if you are close enough to enemy armor that you can use it, you've got a bunch of bigger issues.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 25, 2022

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Just want to quote this to confirm that based on personal experience most Russians are extremely cool and fun people and it sucks that they are ruled by war mongering gangsters.

What if I told you that polls seem to indicate that Putin has ~70% approval from Russians in the country?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cr0y posted:

Uhhhhhhhh

To reassure EE NATO members, that's it. Not going into Ukraine.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

NATO sure seems to be doing a lot of troop movements right now onto the border.

Is this just a show of force to Putin? Just a tripwire if he decides to get antsy and go after Poland or something?

Putin has shown himself to have become increasingly irrational and likely high as hell on huffing his own farts, so it's probably due dilligence to make sure you're ready if he decides to have his troops veer westwards into poland on megalomanical urge or in a fit of narcissistic rage.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

quarantinethepast posted:

What if I told you that polls seem to indicate that Putin has ~70% approval from Russians in the country?

Most Russians don't vote. They've been largely apolitical for decades now.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

"Not limited to Ukraine" was my 😳

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The US MLRS rocket launchers primarily fire rockets that contain several hundred small submunitions, I presume the same is true of the Russian systems.

MLRS systems used by Russia vary, from the Grads which are pretty small truck mounted systems not really comparable to US systems and just throwing up pretty conventional munitions and cluster munitions, to much larger systems that are more comprable systems to what the U.S. uses. We'd really have to narrow it down what the sources of the fires was to get any clearer idea of what the munitions involved were.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

For any one willing to chip in gas money, you can paypal me @kylofon . Don’t need much but it’d help. Thanks!

Just learned the two girls Im waiting for are 12 and 15 and also there’s a cat. Still waiting though, apparently their mom will hand them off and shes going back to the dad waiting on the other side.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 25, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Do you trust polls from a country that largely harasses if not kills its critics? I don't mean drone strikes like the US: Straight murdering people who speak up against Putin.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Young Ukrainian MP on Sky News walking around while being interviewed. Says he is staying in Kyiv even though his family is in the west because it is the "honorable thing to do."
Ukrainians are incredible under pressure.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Majorian posted:

And to prevent Putin from getting any (not) smart ideas about going beyond the borders?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Inner Light posted:

Is that really MLRS though? Why are the explosions so tiny, like tinier than 1 frag grenade each?

Seems like a strange ineffective weapon.

Ineffective against mostly unarmored targets spread thin? Yes, like civilian cars. Best would be to use high explosive rounds.

But they won't work against true armored targets, unlike cluster submunitions, which on the other hand aren't good at just making big booms.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

cr0y posted:

"Not limited to Ukraine" was my 😳

Didn't Biden say US intelligence believes the Russians are not limiting this attack to Ukraine? And tbf the US has got this one right so far?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grouchio posted:

And to prevent Putin from getting any (not) smart ideas about going beyond the borders?

Yeah, tripwire force and all that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I want someone to ask Putin what the hell is going on with his freaky inflated head. I swear he didn't look like that just a year ago. I'm a putin head truther, it must be connected somehow

Also, apologies if this was posted I did skip a few pages to get to the new stuff

https://twitter.com/JamesAALongman/status/1497112266138869779

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

you have to pay money to see the source on this

my bet is on it being like, "99% of people voted for Saddam"

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Majorian posted:

Most Russians don't vote. They've been largely apolitical for decades now.

The last presidential election in 2018 had 67.5% turnout. People don't vote in the US either, but Trump never got anywhere above like 40%.

What are the sources for your claim?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Dog Friday posted:

Didn't Biden say US intelligence believes the Russians are not limiting this attack to Ukraine? And tbf the US has got this one right so far?

If they do attack a NATO member, how soon should we expect nukes to fly?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

My main concern for all of this is has anyone considered that Putin may have just lost his loving mind?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah this is gonna get bad. There's no way there isn't some international uproar over this. Its one thing to block Ukraine's airspace and the immediate coast, you are now launching missiles at international shipping. Its like shooting down a civilian aircraft outside the conflict.

I’ve boarded the Namura Queen before for work.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

The living standards of Russia have gone up dramatically under Putin, why wouldnt he be popular

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Is it clancychat time again?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If they do attack a NATO member, how soon should we expect nukes to fly?

Nukes are not going to fly. NATO will not get involved in Ukraine, and Russia will not push further.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

UN Security Council meeting in about one minute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfzvRN3FYDA

e: initially surprised by so many people making so many called definitive shots itt, 'this will happen', 'this will never happen' but then I remembered I'm posting on the internet

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

you have to pay money to see the source on this

my bet is on it being like, "99% of people voted for Saddam"

Literally if you look under "More information":

quote:

The source specified the following information: "Until March 2020, the survey was conducted via personal interviews in the respondents’ homes (face-to-face). In April – June 2020, the survey was conducted via phone interviews (CATI)."

Reminder that Xi also has majority support among the Chinese people.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Do you trust polls from a country that largely harasses if not kills its critics? I don't mean drone strikes like the US: Straight murdering people who speak up against Putin.

Is a drone strike no straight up murdering someone?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I could definitely see the "Not limited to Ukraine" thing as a PR move to push NATO & allies to circle the wagons, drum up support for sanctions, and just generally move more reluctant allies off the fence. The broader global audience needs SOME sign that NATO et al. aren't just sitting on their asses and making strongly-worded statements, even if it's clear that they're not throwing down for Ukraine.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The NATO military is designed to deter Russia and there have been critics (including people on this forum today) saying there's no way the US/France/Germany/UK etc would defend their allies if push came to shove.

This is literally what it was designed for, has been maintained for and why troops are moving today. We're showing our allies that it doesn't matter if you're Estonia or the USA, an attack on one is an attack on all.

It would be much more worrying seeing troops leave the Baltic and Poland etc right about now

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Peanut Butler posted:

e: initially surprised by so many people making so many called definitive shots itt, 'this will happen', 'this will never happen' but then I remembered I'm posting on the internet

Is Russia at the table for this meeting?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Polls from a dictatorship are worse then useless

Edit:

The source of this particular poll seems to sit in Moscow. Tells you everything about the reliability.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mia Wasikowska posted:

The living standards of Russia have gone up dramatically under Putin, why wouldnt he be popular

It's hard to say. I think the big spike in prosperity happened in the earlier part of his tenure and the country's gotten stagnant in the past decade. Russia's GDP has been on a steady decline since 2013.

From what I understand of Russia's political scene, there also isn't a shining, obvious alternative to Putin.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I don't think sanctions, at the least the ones we've seen now and in the past, are going to matter whatsoever with regards to the current situation. Putin isn't dumb, he knew this would happen and decided his goals were worth it. Something like SWIFT would certainly matter but I don't think that will happen. Ukraine isn't 'worth' it.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Literally if you look under "More information":

oh I see, you have to register, I just noped out when it popped up a 'choose a plan' screen

I don't want to make an account, what's the source? what's CATI?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

The meeting is postponed apparently :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Mia Wasikowska posted:

I don't have any hard numbers to back this up, only anecdotal evidence. My understanding is that living standards improved in the 2000s, but in the recent decade have been on the decline. Recently the pension age was raised and the price for goods continues to rise.

I'm really skeptical about the turnout numbers, results, and approval ratings.