Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got the tude now posted:

Ah I’ve heard about this. Circle Strafing

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

this

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

JURASSIC PARK GIRL: This is circle strafing. I know this.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
dario casalli, who made the best commercial doom release plutonia w/ his brother 500 years ago, has been playing a bunch of mega wads including plutonia, plutonia 2, and valiant. today he uploaded a blind playthru of sunlust map 25 on uv w/o having played any of sunlust ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuOFq_-OCo4

pretty cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

dario casalli, who made the best commercial doom release plutonia w/ his brother 500 years ago, has been playing a bunch of mega wads including plutonia, plutonia 2, and valiant. today he uploaded a blind playthru of sunlust map 25 on uv w/o having played any of sunlust ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuOFq_-OCo4

pretty cool

kewl

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1OaNcnonrk wow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

icon of sin is a huge pos. Eat poo poo you scion of hell!!!!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

sometimes even hell can be a little heaven

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CACOZONE.WAD

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

icon of sin is a huge pos. Eat poo poo you scion of hell!!!!

sandy petersen ftw

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Blaming lord peterson for the icon of sin is a little dishonest. Furthermore everyone remembers tricks n traps, barrels o fun, dead simple, the tiny bridge map etc. NO 0ne ebers any specifics bout tenements excets its bad. Sinple as.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

barrels o fun was cool for the first two rooms but the 2nd half is weirdly lame. Wow a hallway with 400 pinky demons and then a teleport into a big empty circle with a spiderdemon. Where do they come up with stuff

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

the cacos say reeee when they aggro

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fiddling around with doom builder and making a level is really fun but I think I bit off more than I could chew by trying to do an outdoor one first. It seems hard to make it not look ugly as gently caress

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
to be fair everyone's first map is going to be ugly as heck. cheers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheers. heres my day 2 WIP update. been taking lots of gamer notes as I work on it, the outdoor sections look better now that i understand how the sky ceilings work. at the beginning I tried to make encoutners and rooms at the same time but tweaking monster patterns and balancing pick ups and poo poo will take a long time, so i wanted to focus on just making geometry that would be fun to move through and explore for now. then ill tweak imp vertex placements for 7 hours ftw.

this is rly fun. next step is build the indoor area that will be more straightforward hallways and rooms and doors.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Training posted:

cheers. heres my day 2 WIP update. been taking lots of gamer notes as I work on it, the outdoor sections look better now that i understand how the sky ceilings work. at the beginning I tried to make encoutners and rooms at the same time but tweaking monster patterns and balancing pick ups and poo poo will take a long time, so i wanted to focus on just making geometry that would be fun to move through and explore for now. then ill tweak imp vertex placements for 7 hours ftw.

this is rly fun. next step is build the indoor area that will be more straightforward hallways and rooms and doors.

this looks fuckin cool

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Now Entering The Turtle Chamber

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

Sick.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

drat that's sick for day 2. I'm still making boxes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

im about to stream some map making for any advice and tips.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

drat that's sick for day 2. I'm still making boxes

same lol, i got really into learning how the triggers worked and so now i can make a bunch of stuff activate but only in square crate rooms

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In Training posted:

Nice work. Now plaster that poo poo with Cyberdemons and Chaingunners.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kongming posted:

Nice work. Now plaster that poo poo with Cyberdemons and Chaingunners.

I'm limiting myself to hell Knights and weaker, since I want room to expand this thing in case I go full psycho and try to make a larger map pack. Not even sure if im gonna include any weapon beyond a shotgun and a chain gun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

same lol, i got really into learning how the triggers worked and so now i can make a bunch of stuff activate but only in square crate rooms

if you know how triggers work you can do w/e, sectors don't have to be square shaped

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

spent an hour figuring out how to make a door work and still not really understanding it ftw. Maybe tomorrow

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

if you know how triggers work you can do w/e, sectors don't have to be square shaped

yeah, but they're easier to not make look like absolute poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

end of day 3. all level geometry and door/platform/key flow completed.

next step: encounter design. which is gonna take forever. after that, texturing and aesthetics, which is also gonna take forever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

end of day 3. all level geometry and door/platform/key flow completed.

next step: encounter design. which is gonna take forever. after that, texturing and aesthetics, which is also gonna take forever.

Looks dope

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Doomguy's Ups and Downs

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

spent an hour figuring out how to make a door work and still not really understanding it ftw. Maybe tomorrow

You should install another source port like dsda and / or crispy doom for.testing stuff like that as well

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

matti
Mar 31, 2019

that looks sick

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

mysterious loyall X posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdJQjkwrzDI

speedrun thats as long as mullholland drive d00ds

he posted map19 today :getin:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

P-Mack posted:

Doomguy's Ups and Downs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

streaming some level designing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

alright the first pass of enemy design is done...would anybody wanna playtest this level. i need to do hella texturing work but i think gameplay wise its where i want to be. click here to check it out.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i could play it later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

looking forward to when IT has a few more maps so that he can claim the trophy for "greatest video game made by a poster for the imp zone" currently held by lurdiak.