Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mackensie posted:

Surprised there is no blackout, especially of the steeples which are awesome aiming points.

Russians have night vision equipment and GLONASS, might not help much. A total blackout might even encourage attacks on civilians, "eh nobody's home, gonna bomb those houses!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Black black humor. Ukranian soldier with a message to Russian soldiers. Click through and scroll up for original source, posting the version with a translation

https://twitter.com/peedutuisk/status/1497310882069581824?t=713PBy7C1IHj9bLDKd1WQw&s=19

That's a hell of a look he's got in his eyes

I hope this guy gets to tell his kids about how he went headfirst at the invader, was first in line to protect his people, whatever the end of this war looks like.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Independent of the actual conflict, these past 2 days have been home to some of the loving stone cold hardest statements known to man.

The Ukranian ambassador saying to the Russian ambassador "there is no purgatory for war criminals, you're going straight to Hell."
The 25 year old girl responding to "what are you doing after this" with "making molotovs."
The whole Ghost of Kyiv thing.
"Ukranians, surrender." "Russian warship, go gently caress yourselves."
"How long can you hold out?" "Forever."
And now the reoccuring "welcome to Hell, Russians." Just absolute galvanizing poo poo, beyond inspirational. Good luck to Kyiv tonight.

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

Play posted:

I mean, just as a general truisum, a military alliance totally unwilling to be pushed into war seems somewhat... useless. It's basically exactly that sentiment which Putin is and has been taking advantage of.

Of course I do understand that sentiment as well. It's just sticky all around.
I mean, it works until it doesn’t. No NATO countries have been hosed with — god help us all when and if that finally happens

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

TulliusCicero posted:

Ooohhh

Any interesting details in there or emails about "why yes this politican is an asset to us in this Western country"?

Can't read Russian unfortunately

I feel like even the highest ranking generals would see embedded assets as "Operative Blue" or something since that's a different department.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Play posted:

I mean, just as a general truisum, a military alliance totally unwilling to be pushed into war seems somewhat... useless.

It's not a military alliance, it's a mutual defence alliance. The entire point is to avoid war.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

My favorite video of the day

https://twitter.com/sumyurban/status/1497289351276998657?t=sZ4tc5c-cCA4HuUfpv1AAg&s=19

Local from Sumy explains the situation to a Russian kid: "If you feel that you cant go on and want to live, leave your guns and clothes on the road and get here, I'll take you in until our guys come and I'll hand you over. If you dont want to - gently caress off. If you shoot - I'll shoot back. Understood?"

The kid just rattling off how many of them are here and where they are to a dude filming him is :laffo:

We're going to need a gravitational wave observatory to study that guy's balls. :discourse:

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
There was also a woman who handed some seeds to a Russian soldier and told him to put them in his pocket so at least some sunflowers would grow when he died.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Ask Bibi where he's got the nuclear weapons
E: it's Naftali Bennett now

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Play posted:

NATO should've brought in Ukraine a while back, before troops were ever massing at the border. Easier to say in retrospect but was the only thing preventing that not wanting to make Russia mad? Or were there other reasons?

There are probably good logistical and practical reasons why this isn't possible but how about instead of freezing his assets, just straight up loving take them.

Because they aren't there, substantially.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

TheRat posted:

There's been hostile troops in Ukraine since at least 2014

I have a loose understanding of this, but that loose understanding entails that Ukraine's leadership vassalated back and forth unable to commit to the NATO process. Diplomatic military and economic pressure from their neighbor to the east probably made commitments to getting that started rather difficult for any leader with polonium sensitivity.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

von Vicious posted:

Does invoking article 5 mean anything but help with defense against the cyberattacks in this context?
Oh I sure better hope so because cyberattacks have happened in the past in NATO states and article 5 for WAR was not triggered. arrrh

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Nazzadan posted:

Independent of the actual conflict, these past 2 days have been home to some of the loving stone cold hardest statements known to man.

The Ukranian ambassador saying to the Russian ambassador "there is no purgatory for war criminals, you're going straight to Hell."
The 25 year old girl responding to "what are you doing after this" with "making molotovs."
And now the reoccuring "welcome to Hell, Russians." Just absolute galvanizing poo poo, beyond inspirational. Good luck to Kyiv tonight.

100% agreed, great list

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

You forgot "At least take these sunflower seeds so they'll grow where you die."

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

TheRat posted:

It's not a military alliance, it's a mutual defence alliance. The entire point is to avoid war.

A mutual defense alliance is a military alliance. This is like saying something is a square not a rectangle.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497319363946319872

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DarklyDreaming posted:

I feel like even the highest ranking generals would see embedded assets as "Operative Blue" or something since that's a different department.

Something tells me there was some actual Kompromat poo poo in there because twitter blipped it out of existence just now

"This tweet violated the rules"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

TheRat posted:

And I'm saying that if Ukraine had been added to NATO at a more opportune time, for example when they first requested it fifteen years ago, things might be different now.

Or maybe not! That's the fun with pointless hypotheticals.

mdemone posted:

Because they aren't there, substantially.

Yeah I get that but 'freezing' implies it could/would be unfrozen at some future time. I guess it is a further tool of diplomacy, however much use that might be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Unless combat stops I'll believe its still Putins goal to continue. There's no ceasefire.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Isn't this the exact thing that Putin would do on a peacetime day never mind during wartime - and the exact thing that would trigger article 5 and draw in NATO??

If the Russians attack the defense force from across the border as a provocation does that also lead to war??

"Article 5 provides that if a NATO Ally is the victim of an armed attack, each and every other member of the Alliance will consider this act of violence as an armed attack against all members and will take the actions it deems necessary to assist the Ally attacked."

Quote taken from NATO's website, bolding is mine. Article 5 doesn't necessarily lead into war, the type of response depends on the members.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

CommieGIR posted:

Unless combat stops I'll believe its still Putins goal to continue. There's no ceasefire.

Absolutely. If anything this is most likely an attempt to keep them off guard and hoping for a diplomatic solution which will never come.

The Russians have done this before. Almost too many times to name.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://www.economist.com/europe/2022/02/25/russian-forces-advance-on-kyiv

Good breakdown of recent developments

"Indeed, Russian (like Soviet) military doctrine calls for multiple “echelons” of forces, with heavy forces kept in reserve. Russia has committed only around 60 battalion tactical groups out of the 110 or so it had massed on Ukraine’s border, according to a Western official. There has been little use of cyber- or electronic-warfare or drones. Some officials suggest these have not been used because of Russian deficiencies; others suspect they are simply being held in reserve. "

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wait, consent to what amounted to unconditional surrender? Is there some other proposal on the table at this time?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Play posted:

And I'm saying that if Ukraine had been added to NATO at a more opportune time, for example when they first requested it fifteen years ago, things might be different now.

Or maybe not! That's the fun with pointless hypotheticals.

Yeah I get that but 'freezing' implies it could/would be unfrozen at some future time. I guess it is a further tool of diplomacy, however much use that might be.

From here.

Wikipedia posted:

Relations between Ukraine and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) started in 1992.[1] Ukraine applied to begin a NATO Membership Action Plan (MAP) in 2008.[2][3] Plans for NATO membership were shelved by Ukraine following the 2010 presidential election in which Viktor Yanukovych, who preferred to keep the country non-aligned, was elected President.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Nenonen posted:

"Article 5 provides that if a NATO Ally is the victim of an armed attack, each and every other member of the Alliance will consider this act of violence as an armed attack against all members and will take the actions it deems necessary to assist the Ally attacked."

Quote taken from NATO's website, bolding is mine. Article 5 doesn't necessarily lead into war, the type of response depends on the members.

Yeah but suffice to say if Russia attacks a NATO member and they get the same treatment from their allies as Ukraine is right now, there will very quickly be no NATO.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

Wait, consent to what amounted to unconditional surrender? Is there some other proposal on the table at this time?

I assume he means meeting proposal rather than terms proposal

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Everyone is getting the definition of "tankie" wrong. In modern usage, it's just a lazy pejorative thrown at literally anyone who criticizes Western democracies when you just want to snipe at people. It has no consistent definition and is typically used to give the impression that MLs are irrational without having to explain why, because it lets you lump them in with authoritarian dickholes with no ideology.

Tell me you are a tankie without telling me you are a tankie

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Something tells me there was some actual Kompromat poo poo in there because twitter blipped it out of existence just now

"This tweet violated the rules"

I still had it loaded, and gently caress I should have screenshotted it. Oh well, downloaded the file tho.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Both sides are jockeying for position. The closer Russia is to military victory the less negotiating room Ukraine has.

I suspect Putin's calculus is that it's in the bag and unconditional surrender is on the table, but it's possible he judges things costly enough that he will accept limited war objectives (especially if the international community is willing to play ball with sanctions.) Not holding my breath though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah same. But if they can negotiate a ceasefire and buy themselves time to entrench more or somehow get a favorable peace, then we see.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah same. But if they can negotiate a ceasefire and buy themselves time to entrench more or somehow get a favorable peace, then we see.

That's why the offensive wont stop until a ceasefire is already negotiated.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

That's a scared kid sent to intimidate fathers willing to die and kill.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

quarantinethepast posted:

Yeah but suffice to say if Russia attacks a NATO member and they get the same treatment from their allies as Ukraine is right now, there will very quickly be no NATO.

Well sure, but it was more about whether the quote meant cyber attacks automatically lead to WWIII.

Also everyone, note it said cyber attacks could lead to article 5 response.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I suspect Putin knows that and if he felt a ceasefire would get him closer to his goals, he'd already have done that.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

I still had it loaded, and gently caress I should have screenshotted it. Oh well, downloaded the file tho.

Yea, I have the download link in history and it's still up (also got the file). It's some accounts and passwords from Russia's MOD (some passwords feel like they were made up by a 12 year old - 'asasin2014') .

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nenonen posted:

What's different about this declaration against cyber-attacks from Russia from the ones Russia has done in the past when Ukraine wasn't getting invaded? Isn't this going to lead to war when Putin goes through with cyberattacks anyway??

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mmkay posted:

Yea, I have the download link in history and it's still up (also got the file). It's some accounts and passwords from Russia's MOD (some passwords feel like they were made up by a 12 year old - 'asasin2014') .

Ukraineplans2022updated.docx

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Grouchio posted:

What's different about this declaration against cyber-attacks from Russia from the ones Russia has done in the past when Ukraine wasn't getting invaded?

I think it's more if Russia does something dramatic in response to sanctions and whatnot. Like, not just ransomware here or some infrastructure disruption there. But like a massive coordinated loving with power plants or something. That kind of big poo poo could be seen as an act of war.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

If Russia tried to do what they're doing to Ukraine to a NATO member the big problem they'd have would be all the American military bases in the way full of American troops, and if any of those troops at all got a hangnail as a result of hostile action it would be the next 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Point was that Jens Stoltenberg talking about a cyber attack possibly invoking art.5 doesn't have to mean massing tanks around Kaliningrad, it just means that the allies will work together to respond. Probably it would mean increasing their cyber warfare capabilities but other options aren't explicitly barred. And that seems wise, warfare has changed a lot from the 1950's.