Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Public livestream of the UN Security council meeting starting soon. Video up, no talking yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfzvRN3FYDA

Time to see if Russia's still the chair

He is, quite unbelievably. They shouldn't be allowed anywhere near that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Tezzeract posted:

I have to say I was bamboozled by Vladmir Pozner's nonsense too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X7Ng75e5gQ

I actually watched that before all this happened. What about it do you think was nonsense? (not implying it was or wasn't, just curious)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

To those of you wanting tags, though it's not necessary, do please consider a donation to a charity or organization helping out over there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

NYC councilmember coming in hot with some really bad takes:
https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233928310173698

Putting together outfits for Ukrainian militia by collecting one clothing item from each NATO country like those multipart Hasbro action figures.

I'm woefully under informed about the geopolitics of this issue. Can someone point me to information on why/if this is a bad take.

I have friends on fb reposting similar stuff and I'm not sure what to take seriously because of general US imperialist history

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I'm finding the continued narrative that Zelensky thought NATO would do more to be a little infantilizing. Everyone with an internet connection knew they wouldn't, but somehow the heads of state in Ukraine missed that memo.

I think it's more likely, instead of NATO leading them on, that they just really didn't want to be a puppet state and sought allies. This is not excusing any NATO shittiness, but it's not like Ukrainians lacked access to information in this thread.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I've added you to the list, its done.

May I have one as well?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
UNSC meeting just started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdY7t5VKIY

Ironically, Russia is the current rotating president of the Security Council

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

quarantinethepast posted:

Dude the number of US leftists fooled by Russian disinformation campaigns is blowing my loving mind

Americans on all sides can be gullible as gently caress to this stuff

Source: I'm an American

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Me too, please!

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Zotix posted:

May I have one as well?

Also me

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

CommieGIR posted:

For those who want it or those who donated to the relief thread, we are working on a gangtag by goon Loden Taylor

is there a link to the relief in here? would love this tag

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

Security council meeting just started - Russia still presiding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfzvRN3FYDA

They will be presiding for all of February.

I suppose you can take solace in the fact it is the shortest month of the year.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

I'll take one!

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

CommieGIR posted:

Yes please! I would love one as well.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Paracausal posted:

is there a link to the relief in here? would love this tag

Next thread up.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

TheRat posted:

A way out of what? Putin probably see's the current situation as winning.

Probably the right answer you know. If Xi is using such direct pushback in public, he must be fuming to Putin in private surely. How does Putin not know he done goofed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I'm woefully under informed about the geopolitics of this issue. Can someone point me to information on why/if this is a bad take.

I have friends on fb reposting similar stuff and I'm not sure what to take seriously because of general US imperialist history

NATO expanded eastward because the countries demanded they do it. Specifically for the very reason this thread exists. To argue NATO is a destabilizing force ignores that NATO is not an offensive force, and also ignores that, in nearly every case she highlights, Russia either assisted or was responsible for ethnic cleansing in the events she highlights.

There are verified and cataloged fields of bodies and burned towns that Russia not only allowed to happen, but encouraged. And the 2014 Maidan revolution, regardless of its connection to possible US influences, doesn't really matter in the context of current Ukrainian leadership who were duly elected after the revolution.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

These buses coming in now are full of kids

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So reading Slava Malamud's 2-year old write up on Zelensky's pre-presidency career (https://www.slavadoesamerica.com/a-ukrainian-jon-stewart-who-may-bring-down-trump/), I was struck by one of the comedy sketches --- a look at Russia's stereotyping of Ukrainians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hj0Gic5irg
"Ukrainian family in the eyes of Russians" (in Russian)

A scary thought is that Putin may be operating at about that level right now...

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Yes please! I would love one as well.

Me too please and thank you!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Well for starters the whole "The US overthrew the government in 2014 and its also staffed by a bunch of Nazis" is a literal Russian talking point and is false.

Also, its a horrid take to have when people are actively dying by an Imperial Power attempting to force regime change. These dipshit takes do nothing to help the people she represents.

Also I'll be donating and will take a tag too please

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tomberforce posted:

He is, quite unbelievably. They shouldn't be allowed anywhere near that position.

It’s in alphabetical order. It switches in march

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I donated to the British-Ukrainian Aid charity- does that qualify me for a tag? Happy to provide proof

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Gros Tarla posted:

They will be presiding for all of February.

I suppose you can take solace in the fact it is the shortest month of the year.

I was hoping perhaps there would have been a vote to remove them from presiding for the balance of the month, or more unlikely but possible the Russian representative would have had some sense of shame and stepped down

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
This UNSC meeting is even more futile than usual, since this resolution will need to be passed unanimously, right?

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Same please

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

I was hoping perhaps there would have been a vote to remove them, or more unlikely but possible the Russian representative would have had some sense of shame and stepped down

The entire point of this thing is that everyone is involved.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Paracausal posted:

https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233932605079553?t=OpkJ2nYltI79loomXykmeg&s=19

Oh baby, Milosevic apologia folded into justifiable cause for Putin revanchism.

Hopefully somebody runs against her dumb rear end and she's kicked out of office. What a dolt.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

If possible can I get in too? Because russian warships can go gently caress themselves

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Paracausal posted:

https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233932605079553?t=OpkJ2nYltI79loomXykmeg&s=19

Oh baby, Milosevic apologia folded into justifiable cause for Putin revanchism.

Interesting, the Yemeni shopkeeper on the corner told me NATO bombed Serbia because they didn't want Muslims in the center of Europe. And here I thought it was because of genocide.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497335352520019969?s=20&t=cMny9hyd9aE-rmNwr2S3JA

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Can we move the tag requests to another thread?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

This UNSC meeting is even more futile than usual, since this resolution will need to be passed unanimously, right?

UNSC is almost always futile since Russia or the US will usually veto anything remotely useful.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

NATO expanded eastward because the countries demanded they do it. Specifically for the very reason this thread exists. To argue NATO is a destabilizing force ignores that NATO is not an offensive force, and also ignores that, in nearly every case she highlights, Russia either assisted or was responsible for ethnic cleansing in the events she highlights.

There are verified and cataloged fields of bodies and burned towns that Russia not only allowed to happen, but encouraged. And the 2014 Maidan revolution, regardless of its connection to possible US influences, doesn't really matter in the context of current Ukrainian leadership who were duly elected after the revolution.

Do you think it’s fair, in hindsight now especially, that the previous blame laid at NATO could justifiably be called preemptive appeasement?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

basically it is blaming Ukraine for not accepting Minsk -- something that was never feasible. Also claiming Ukraine is fascists is laughable. Ukraine has insane fringe groups -- like every country. They're part of politics in the same way the proud boys are in the US. Only difference is the Russian aggression makes to hard for politicians to publicly repudiate these groups, due to them being a focal point of Rus propaganda.

It's distressing. I at times researched and wrote on issues like Ukrainian nationalism, not because I think Ukraine is a Nazi country, but because I believe like many central and eastern european states it has deep issues with historical memory that are unresolved. In Ukraine specifically it was bad as historical figures essentially became politic identifies, which basically facilitated a mass mutual assault on history. To hear Putin trod out the Nazi line made me sick to my stomach. I wondered if I had become a kremlin stooge by writing lit crit on Ukrainian war movies.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 25, 2022

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

TheRat posted:

UNSC is almost always futile since Russia or the US will usually veto anything remotely useful.

Yeah, thought so. Thanks.

e: Though I guess it's vaguely useful to see how everyone else votes.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 25, 2022

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Keisari posted:

If possible can I get in too? Because russian warships can go gently caress themselves

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
This entire process has been a real loving continuous education in tankies, let me loving tell you.

I honestly didn't believe in tankies until a few years ago, but WOW.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Fart Amplifier posted:

Can we move the tag requests to another thread?

Please, the stickied relief thread might be a better fit. Given the nature of this thread the sudden flurry of dozens of posts was a bit alarming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

For those who want it or those who donated to the relief thread, we are working on a gangtag by goon Loden Taylor

This is incredible.