Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

This is the largest ever war between two countries that contain McDonalds, incidentally

What about Burger King?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlaK98w9jJE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
We moved to Nova Scotia a couple years ago, well three I guess, right at the beginning of Covid. Our best friends, our realtor as well, are Ukrainians and they are all tough as nails and are also loving, generous, and genuine friends and family to us now. I guess it's anecdotal, but from what I've seen this week from the war, it seems true overall that Ukrainians are resilient and give no fucks.

When we first moved here, we met the wife's (of the couple's) parents, and they were awesome. We had many bonfires over the course of the last couple summers, and "Pops" her dad would drink cheap whiskey and taught us to say Budmo for Cheers while making sure we had shot glasses and they were consistently full. After Covid restrictions lightened, Pops and his wife went back to Ukraine this past fall, and I worry about them and hope they get out safe--same for the husband's parents.

Anyway, Budmo and gently caress Putin.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Dante posted:

Reading this thread and some other stuff on the internet I do think some are taking the isolated tidbits of good military news as evidence of something more than it is. Even though Ukraine has had some success, the strategic situation is untenable. Russia has invaded an absolutely huge country in both land area and population, and are fighting in the capital by the 48 hour mark. Within the next few days Ukrainian air assets will be gone and Russia will have completely air superiority. Ukrainan forces will be exhausted from fighting, while Russia can rotate in fresh troops. While I hope there's an insurgency, Ukraine is a very flat country. The topography is pretty much the opposite of Afghanistan or Switzerland, and the climate is very different from Vietnam. It would not be an easy place for the guerilla side of an insurgency. The Nazis did have issues dealing with insurgencies, but they also successfully occupied most of europe and were beaten by conventional armies - not partisan revolts. The Ukranian people are incredibly brave, but Russia can and will grind Ukranian military forces down. Molotovs and civillians sniping from windows won't stop Russia in Kiev anymore than it did in Grozny. An iron curtain around Russia that makes Putin's war domestically incredibly unpopular to the point where it destabilizes the regime is probably Ukraines best hope. That responsibility should weigh very heavy on the shoulders of all western governments. The seeds that were sown in 1968 caused tremendous problems for USSR later on, and we can only hope this invasion spells out the same fate for Putin's regime.

Yeah, unfortunately this feels like 300. They are doing an amazing job inflicting pain against a vastly larger invading force, but ultimately they probably can’t win without backup.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Peanut Butler posted:

this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teF2f1DkeEQ

maybe the audio icon is on the wrong panel, idk

I heard maybe one bullet, and 986 ravens. Even that bullet could have been someone dropping a crate.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

OddObserver posted:

They were too busy bombing a civilian industrial equipment plant for that. That's one angle that I think people may be missing --- a lot of the country's industrial capacity may be gone.

Also infrastructure. The Ukrainians have been blowing their own highway bridges to stop advances, while the Russians have been targeting power stations. Those are large, expensive pieces of key infrastructure to have to replace afterwards.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Every time I hear "There will never be an insurgency because there's no jungles or mountains" like, do you think that stopped Iraq? Baghdad isn't exactly a mountainous jungle.

Also Ukraine has something Iraqi insurgents could only dream of, trees and brush

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Grape posted:

I heard maybe one bullet, and 986 ravens. Even that bullet could have been someone dropping a crate.

it was like an hour+ ago; ended with what sounded like a plane flyover

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Germany is pussyfooting a few helmets to the border whereas Poland is loving shoving convoys of ammo right down Ukraine's throat.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Small White Dragon posted:

Yeah, unfortunately this feels like 300. They are doing an amazing job inflicting pain against a vastly larger invading force, but ultimately they probably can’t win without backup.

Probably. But they held through the night. Their flag still flies over their capital despite every possible thing being against them. That's not nothing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sanguinia posted:

Probably. But they held through the night. Their flag still flies over their capital despite every possible thing being against them. That's not nothing.

Yeah and surprisingly I don't see any Russian armor in the webcams. And power is on. And internet it up.

Ukraine made it to another morning.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

video games taught me that the best place to hide is tall grass and you have a country riddled with sunflowers and wheat and you tell me they can't hide?!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

AFAIK Russia hasn't taken a single city.

I think they were hoping that Ukraine would fall without them having to fight door to door anywhere.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

video games taught me that the best place to hide is tall grass and you have a country riddled with sunflowers and wheat and you tell me they can't hide?!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

One Russian MP (KPRF) tweeted against the war
https://twitter.com/tweet_matveev/status/1497393053035810817?s=20&t=xLyOqFw32Rir377LSbHiPg

Doesnt seem like a super good guy, senses the winds changing?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Randarkman posted:

I wonder if the fact that they've reached the capital has anything to do with the capital being you know, not very far at all from the Belorussian border, where the Russians are invading from. It doesn't say as much as I think you believe it does.

Uhhhh it says a lot about the level of defensive preparedness and capability of the Ukrainian military. Find it difficult to see how an advance into a capital city isn’t a big deal regardless of where it is.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Germany is pussyfooting a few helmets to the border whereas Poland is loving shoving convoys of ammo right down Ukraine's throat.

Poland is also taking some steps to mend fences with the EU over the right-wing government's more authoritarian moves. The Polish President is apparently trying to restore some judicial independence to make nice, saying, "We don't need this fight." Here's hoping Putin's crusade alienates more of the sympathetic ears he'd built up in Europe.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/02/23/poland-ukraine-russia-crisis-nato-strategic-role-military-diplomacy-war/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1497403127955402756?s=20&t=vs0IkmU64CfflV03lAF90A

Caros
May 14, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I think they were hoping that Ukraine would fall without them having to fight door to door anywhere.

Kick the door in and the whole rotten structure will fall.

Oh gently caress, my leg.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1497377174789103619

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I understand that attempting to hold a position is bad odds when one can't afford to sustain aerial superiority given the vast gulf in what Russia can bring to bear, so giving up ground to pick advantageous fights was always a given

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

they were just trying to go to the multimall

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russians on the ground in Melitopol.

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1497427184729923584?t=evAqO8VJGVTbOUfW4vdpAQ&s=19

And bombing is heating up in more cities again this morning

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497427989922996226?t=vn4icE2LZTstgkyjSTYGWw&s=19

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZebYm-nenY

lmao it started playing jazz

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1497428052988641281?s=20&t=l7_XhFHDyXpdyYOHBhn3QA

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
These tik tokkers are insane.

We definitely haven't been visited by aliens, because folks would be live streaming their abduction

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

my morning jackass posted:

Uhhhh it says a lot about the level of defensive preparedness and capability of the Ukrainian military. Find it difficult to see how an advance into a capital city isn’t a big deal regardless of where it is.

I think they genuinely weren't ready for the attack from Belarus, yes. Russia does have an advantage in terms of equipment, especially aircraft, but haven't really been able to push it decisively yet as quickly as they seem to have been hoping.

I am not saying it's not a big deal, but I fail to see how it's something that would be a surprise considering where the capital is.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also infrastructure. The Ukrainians have been blowing their own highway bridges to stop advances, while the Russians have been targeting power stations. Those are large, expensive pieces of key infrastructure to have to replace afterwards.

They are, but this is an existential fight being fought by a developed nation. We have not really seen one of those since the Second World War to be frank, at least not on this scale.

And blowing up bridges and key infrastructure to stop the enemy when the very existence of your nation is on the line is just doing what you have to do.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

This is interesting, and while it's hard to believe anything one way or another at the moment the audio on various live cams etc from Kyiv seems to back up this version of events. I suppose we will see.

... on the topic of cams it seems one of the more well-trafficked ones (DW) just got hacked with .... smooth jazz audio?

E: no more jazz. Lasted maybe 4 minutes

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Randarkman posted:

I think they genuinely weren't ready for the attack from Belarus, yes. Russia does have an advantage in terms of equipment, especially aircraft, but haven't really been able to push it decisively yet as quickly as they seem to have been hoping.

It's literally a hundred kilometers from Chernobyl to Kiev.

Not much they can do when they're that close.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Does Sumy still stand?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Refugee from cspam here, going to order some mcdonalds for solidarity with the ukrainians

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Deploying smooth jazz.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Grape posted:

For all your authoritative doom tone you seem unaware that Kiev is very close to the Belarusian border.
This is like acting shocked that an American invasion of Canada would quickly reach Ottawa.

I'm very aware, Kiev is about an 8 hour drive from my familys hometown. Capturing the capital is of massive symbolic and strategic importance, that's why Russia is pushing so hard for it and equally why Ukraine is defending it so hard. I think it's hard to make the case that the Russian forces feels the invasion is going poorly military. It's probably the scale of domestic protests that worry the Kremlin more.

Randarkman posted:

I wonder if the fact that they've reached the capital has anything to do with the capital being you know, not very far at all from the Belorussian border, where the Russians are invading from. It doesn't say as much as I think you believe it does.
Russia pretty clearly structured their invasion around reaching the capital quickly, precisely because it is strategically important. I'm tired so I probably should have phrased that sentence better: Russia has invaded a huge country in both population and size, that means it's going to take time to advance across all of it and there's going to be setbacks. That said I don't think you can look at where Russia are at the 48 hour mark and think that Putin considers this a military failure.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Every time I hear "There will never be an insurgency because there's no jungles or mountains" like, do you think that stopped Iraq? Baghdad isn't exactly a mountainous jungle.
Do you consider Baghdad an example of a successful insurgency? There was plenty of active insurgencies going on in occupied Europe, with many successful operations that aided the war effort. That's quite a bit different from expelling the occupier though.

Dante fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 26, 2022

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

freeasinbeer posted:

There is a crazy Molotov video in the GBS thread.

It's drat cool to see the push back against the Russians but I've heard that modern transports are designed to shrug off molotovs.

The occupants are inconvenienced but not even mission killed.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

E. Revenant posted:

It's drat cool to see the push back against the Russians but I've heard that modern transports are designed to shrug off molotovs.

The occupants are inconvenienced but not even mission killed.

I think that video was from 2016.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

Refugee from cspam here, going to order some mcdonalds for solidarity with the ukrainians

mcdonalds is the official fast food of those who stand with ukraine!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497430637166407686?s=20&t=blN2NnkHT7kQ3GSG_DsAsw

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

"I need ammunition, not a ride," said Ukraine's analogue to Stephen Colbert.

This man had better live through this because I want to go to Ukraine and shake his goddamn hand someday.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

tracecomplete posted:

"I need ammunition, not a ride," said Ukraine's analogue to Stephen Colbert.

This man had better live through this because I want to go to Ukraine and shake his goddamn hand someday.

If he survives this, that man is going to be able to drink anywhere for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

ronya posted:

I understand that attempting to hold a position is bad odds when one can't afford to sustain aerial superiority given the vast gulf in what Russia can bring to bear, so giving up ground to pick advantageous fights was always a given

The funny thing is, as of yesterday, Russia could not really sustain air superiority either. It was closer to an air parity situation. I think it helps that new AA weapon systems are crossing into Ukraine from Poland.