Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The Grundle freaked me out as a kid. Looking back at it I can tell why. :pedo:

I really don't want Viggo or Gozer in the next movie. Somebody new, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Personally I want to watch them deal with another well-meaning agency. Perhaps a 35 minute montage dedicated to finding forms, filling the forms out, and maybe filing forms. You can put Louis in there too even.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I have a feeling that an Afterlife sequel will be a follow up to stuff from GB2, and that's why it wasn't really touched on in the movie. Maybe have a grownup Oscar be involved.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Pitwar posted:

I have a feeling that an Afterlife sequel will be a follow up to stuff from GB2, and that's why it wasn't really touched on in the movie. Maybe have a grownup Oscar be involved.

Jason Reitman teased this on the Happy Sad Confused podcast last year

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/jason-reitman-vol-ii/id827905050?i=1000542195093

He also said he would "love to see a Diablo Cody Ghostbusters movie" which sounds awful. Get her to write more scripts like Young Adult and just forget about making Ghostbusters into some massive franchise.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WonkyBob posted:

just forget about making Ghostbusters into some massive franchise.

They will never, ever do this, it's simply too tempting a business opportunity for them. I've posted about it before in greater detail but the original Ghostbusters was one of the biggest box office hits of the 80s and Sony/Columbia have been chasing that dragon ever since

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They will never, ever do this, it's simply too tempting a business opportunity for them. I've posted about it before in greater detail but the original Ghostbusters was one of the biggest box office hits of the 80s and Sony/Columbia have been chasing that dragon ever since

Except, for better or for worse, they're doing a poo poo job about it compared to Marvel or even DC.

I can't stand the deluge of superhero movies but like... goddamn, that's how you set up a massive franchise.

Edit: talking about this reminded me of this video, which I treasure and is lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lItkr3MR1I4

Where movies, tvs, uhh... come together... to make ends meet. But just like... movie... movie magic! Am I right?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 25, 2022

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Such a shame that they can't grasp the fact that those comedians, with that script, in a New York that was still kind of scummy are what made it such a good film and not just the ghosts...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Except, for better or for worse, they're doing a poo poo job about it compared to Marvel or even DC.

I can't stand the deluge of superhero movies but like... goddamn, that's how you set up a massive franchise.

Edit: talking about this reminded me of this video, which I treasure and is lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lItkr3MR1I4

Where movies, tvs, uhh... come together... to make ends meet. But just like... movie... movie magic! Am I right?

They have a huge stable of characters to use so it makes sense that they can just keep milking it. Not much you can do with GB except "well it's Gozer Day... Again". TRGB had some funky stuff, would it be more difficult to work those elements into a film than a cartoon show?

Good old Kyle Mooney.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

deoju posted:

The Grundle freaked me out as a kid. Looking back at it I can tell why. :pedo:

So scary they brought him back for Extreme Ghostbusters.

There we go, they could just adapt the episode 'Deadliners' and have it be a stealth Hellraiser tie-in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't think the main goal is necessarily to create a massive cinematic universe ala Marvel, although I'm sure they'd love it if that happened. But really the #1 priority is to keep Ghostbusters at a certain baseline level of relevance so they can continue to sell merchandise, both to kids and the 30/40 year olds who grew up with it. That's where the consistent, reliable long-term money is.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

The prominent appearance of eyeball ghost (which has been reissued for £20) and that £360 pack show that continuing to sell merch is a very important goal for them.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

WonkyBob posted:

Such a shame that they can't grasp the fact that those comedians, with that script, in a New York that was still kind of scummy are what made it such a good film and not just the ghosts...

They have a huge stable of characters to use so it makes sense that they can just keep milking it. Not much you can do with GB except "well it's Gozer Day... Again". TRGB had some funky stuff, would it be more difficult to work those elements into a film than a cartoon show?

Good old Kyle Mooney.

Actually, I disagree a little. I think the concept is really pliant and actually really well suited to serialization. I think the best place for the future of Ghostbusters is a streaming TV show. That way you can have characters that the audience can build a long relationship with and you can have loads of different and cool ghosts. Outside the big stakes of a movie not every ghost has to be a world ending threat, and you could get more inventive with it, throw in a werewolf or something.

Set it in the GB1, 2 and Afterlife continuity, but also as gates between dimensions are already a thing in Ghostbusters you could easily bring in the 2016 Ghostbusters for guest appearances.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 25, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think the main goal is necessarily to create a massive cinematic universe ala Marvel, although I'm sure they'd love it if that happened. But really the #1 priority is to keep Ghostbusters at a certain baseline level of relevance so they can continue to sell merchandise, both to kids and the 30/40 year olds who grew up with it. That's where the consistent, reliable long-term money is.

Follow the Transformers model!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think the main goal is necessarily to create a massive cinematic universe ala Marvel, although I'm sure they'd love it if that happened

It's been one of Ghost Corps' goals for a while now, I remember an interview from back in 2016 where they were talking about the spinoffs and TV shows and games they were hoping to get off the ground after the reboot film came out

E: they've got a few animation projects in the works
https://sonypicturesanimation.fandom.com/wiki/Untitled_animated_Ghostbusters_movie
https://sonypicturesanimation.fandom.com/wiki/Ghostbusters:_Ecto_Force

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Karloff posted:

Actually, I disagree a little. I think the concept is really pliant and actually really well suited to serialization. I think the best place for the future of Ghostbusters is a streaming TV show. That way you can have characters that the audience can build a long relationship with and you can have loads of different and cool ghosts. Outside the big stakes of a movie not every ghost has to be a world ending threat, and you could get more inventive with it, throw in a werewolf or something.

Set it in the GB1, 2 and Afterlife continuity, but also as gates between dimensions are already a thing in Ghostbusters you could easily bring in the 2016 Ghostbusters for guest appearances.

I've thought this for a while, but yeah, I'd absolutely watch a weekly Ghostbusters show. We had the cartoon (3x, really), let's go live action.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

WonkyBob posted:

The sheer number of things that had to converge for the original to turn out as good as it did is kind of staggering. The fact that the exact same people working together again just five years later couldn't recreate it should have made that clear. The recipe was so specific that deviating from it in any way just takes all the flavor out of it. They'll keep trying, of course, but there's no way they ever succeed on that level ever again.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The only way to manage, I think, is to retain the “campaign” structure. Both within a movie—dealing with individual ghosts and gradually uncovering a larger threat—and within the franchise. The MCU had a clear “campaign villain” they planned to deploy, who they could tease in more focused movies and whose plots could intersect with smaller villain plots that crossed movies. That’s the “U” part of the MCU, which allows for more than one story to be happening at once, so that there’s a larger tale being told across multiple movies.

GB has to do that to work as a franchise, but I haven’t seen much effort to develop the setting in a way to make that happen. Four guys bustin’ ghosts can’t support that weight.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Karloff posted:

The idea that the RLM guys had in their Afterlife review would have worked well for 90s sequels and eventual serialisation. At this point it just feels a bit too late to try to make a "grand cinematelevisual universe" out of Ghostbusters.

Seeing a lot of people talk about Afterlife being "the most emotional Ghostbusters" and how much they cried at the end was odd to me because maybe it's just me, but for me, Ghostbusters is a film where a terrified con artist suggests that the best way to appease a giant marshmallow sailor is to get him a hooker.

Splint Chesthair posted:

The sheer number of things that had to converge for the original to turn out as good as it did is kind of staggering. The fact that the exact same people working together again just five years later couldn't recreate it should have made that clear. The recipe was so specific that deviating from it in any way just takes all the flavor out of it. They'll keep trying, of course, but there's no way they ever succeed on that level ever again.

For all of its faults, GB2 has Egons "Let's see what happens when we take away the puppy" line and I just cant hate it due to that.

The_Doctor posted:

Follow the Transformers model!

Oh boy

Oh boy

Oh boy...

Oh boy. It looks like it's suicide again for me

WonkyBob fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 25, 2022

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The Ecto 1 transformer should have been female. :colbert:

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

With Janines voice.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

WonkyBob posted:

With Janines voice.

Cartoon Janine's voice.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Cartoon Janine's voice.

With an Egon-Containment Unit transformer voiced by Maurice LaMarche?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I always assumed crossing the streams in the first movie destroyed Gozer's dimension (and with it Gozer) not that it just closed the portal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“I have a radical idea. The door swings both ways, we could reverse the particle flow through the gate.”

I took that to mean it would just suck Gozer and Co back through the dimensional gateway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh yeah I don't mean it can't be taken that way but with them setting up that crossing the streams would destroy the universe earlier I'd always assumed that crossing them into/through the portal would do that to Gozer's home dimension. And protects us from a lazy reuse of the villain from the first film in a much later sequel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol gozer still isn’t dead so she can still come back again.

Ray: “somehow, gozer escaped”

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I never took crossing the streams to mean destroying the universe, just that it would kill the person and people in the area, "all life as you know it stopping". Otherwise busting ghosts is a psychopathic exercise if you're risking 6 billion lives each time you do it, and the final act sacrifice is not worth it. If they're risking their own lives when they cross the streams fair enough, if they're risking everyone's lives it's a bit of a different proposition.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Karloff posted:

I never took crossing the streams to mean destroying the universe, just that it would kill the person and people in the area, "all life as you know it stopping".

This means everything to me not just "you'll die". When someone says "the world as you know it will change" doesn't mean the world is changing just for me personally.

The world is over now that Gozer is in our dimension so they had to do anything to stop it no matter the risk.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean they are already nervous about switching on the proton packs because they are tiny nuclear reactors strapped to their backs. Also "...every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light" sounds like, at minimum, we are talking about setting off a nuclear blast in downtown Manhattan, so even if it's not "this destroys the entire universe" bad, it's still worse than just risking their own lives.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I mean, isn't that part of the joke that was lost in the translation from smart comedy to relentless money making machine? That Peck was correct about the Ghostbusters and the threat posed by them to everyone else, but is the antagonist in the story.

I was a late comer to RLM and only saw their GB2 commentary video recently. I loved GB2 but it was completelt aimed at me as a kid, my parents recorded it from the tv on VHS for me and I wore the tape out. Despite that I never noticed until that commentary that Murray barely wears the suit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I was a late comer to RLM and only saw their GB2 commentary video recently. I loved GB2 but it was completelt aimed at me as a kid, my parents recorded it from the tv on VHS for me and I wore the tape out. Despite that I never noticed until that commentary that Murray barely wears the suit.

I remember a quote by Murray that said he felt the franchise peaked about an hour into the first movie (or whenever they finish busting Slimer, thereabouts).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has Bill Murray ever enjoyed making a movie?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Garfield.

Garfield 2

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He was super into making The Razor's Edge as I recall, which was not great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Doesn't he generally enjoy his time on Wes Anderson's sets, maybe aside from when he had to act as an emotional bodyguard from Gene Hackman?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'll bet he enjoyed Stripes, Groundhog Day and Quick Change (very fun and funny movie... watch it if you haven't, or maybe not if you don't like Murray). I also bet he really hated What About Bob... I know I sure did.

Also, re: The Razor's Edge, I had no idea his first serious feature length role was that long ago. Gonna check it out.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

He famously did not enjoy Groundhog Day

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I read that it was in his contract that he wouldn't film during Cubs' games during production of The Life Aquatic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pete Venkman: "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the prehistoric bitch that killed my friend and destroy her. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome."

Also "I'm the only one who got slimed? No one else got hit? What's the deal?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alan_Shore posted:

He famously did not enjoy Groundhog Day

Yeah, that's where he got into it with Ramis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He probably enjoyed making ghostbusters, but he just thought the best part was the middle. Which it is.