Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Please guys, do me a solid and give me some context who this Feldman lunatic is, and how relevant the site it's posted on is.

Feldman is a photo editor for Meduza and not immediately relevant.

The article itself is on RIA, one of the main domestic-facing Russian state-owned media outlets- the domestic version of Sputnik (I'm not clear on the formal structure of the organizations, accounts vary and it's changed several times over the years). It's directly owned by and controlled by the government and is part of the more direct, open propaganda apparatus; if RIA says something, it's primary audience is domestic and it's very nearly exactly what the Kremlin wants them to say, and the public will understand it as something coming from the government.

The author is Petr Akopov, who the outlet apparently uses frequently for international politics subjects; I'm not familiar with him, but his name appears as a byline on other foreign-facing propaganda, including stuff that's english-first and direct response. Akopov likely has a relatively senior role in the development of this sort of language, enough that he is trusted to operate independently in prominent articles; beyond that I'm not clear on his role.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Long twitter thread of observations from the last 24h https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1497716025604771842

my tl;dr - according to this guy, the Russian invasion has been somewhat plodding and cautious, they seem to want a low-cost win. Fair bit of logistical issues, Russians overall haven't been super successful. Ukrainian leadership is doing well. Kyiv is going to be bloody.

i suspect putin or some higher up is gonna get pissed and try to rush poo poo and end up doing some real awful war crimes poo poo with bombs(not nukes obviously) i feel like anything the russians do at this point will stiffen the resolve of the Ukrainian people. like hot take, i think they are gonna through a couple Puppet presidents.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Can anyone validate this in any way?

Mustard Iceman posted:

Feldman is a journalist who fled Russia due to the danger he was faced with for being linked to Navalny. He now lives in the Baltics and was sharing the article as a warning of what Russia is focused on with Ukraine.

Yeah I was referring to the actual author, not Feldman

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I plan to apply for a Master's in Holocaust and genocide studies this fall so I'll get back to y'all on it in a few years.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nessus posted:

Sounds like they could expect purges, at the very least

Yeah, probably. It's definitely bad, and like I said, the Ukrainians should resist as best they can. It's not the sort of thing one wants to leave to chance, or to the better angels of someone like Putin.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's important to remember that a lot of Putin's propaganda in the lead-up here focused on how Ukranians are actually a funny prank Lenin came up with to own the Tzar's ghost and that they're actually just Russians in denial

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Concerned Citizen posted:

if chinese banks violate the sanctions, they are going to lose access to dollar transactions. it's not a favor, we are compelling them to do it. if we didn't, there would be no point in imposing sanctions at all.

I think there's a lot of complexity to unpack in the SWIFT and CBR action, that probably won't be clear until tomorrow. As far as I can suss, and please, help me out:

- Russian energy will still move through the pipeline.
- States can buy Russian oil and gas.
- Other SWIFT transactions are blocked, ie, exports, imports
- The CBR block targets only already sanctioned banks (and there may be more).
- In effect, the CBR block prevents the central bank from providing liquidity to the sanctioned entities. This prevents the sanctioned entities from evading the sanctions by depending on the CBR to bail them out.

China can do whatever the gently caress it wants, it's not sanctioned from doing business with Russia. And it doesn't have to use SWIFT to do it.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

It's important to remember that a lot of Putin's propaganda in the lead-up here focused on how Ukranians are actually a funny prank Lenin came up with to own the Tzar's ghost and that they're actually just Russians in denial

Yeah. He's basically trying to revert back to the Tsarist era idea of a "tri-partite Russian nation" consisting of Great Russians, White Russians (Belorussians) and Little Russians (Ukrainians). They all are part of the same Russian nation. This whole "Ukraine" thing of the past hundred years or so, nevermind that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Someone get me a gif of that guying going "gently caress Russia" with a Bulls hat on. he's the greatest Bull since MJ.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Willo567 posted:

So it isn't about genocide then?

Grouchio posted:

I would really like to know if it's death camps genocide or forced cultural assimilation.

It’s about cultural genocide.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Can I pull money from my russian bank account?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Pook Good Mook posted:

gently caress I love these people.

The Ukrainians have really impressed me. I wish Americans had this kind of resolve.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

surf rock posted:

I remember visiting an art museum a few years ago where, in the gift shop, there was a line of dolls described as "historic girlbosses." There were something like 20 different ones, but these are the ones I remember:

- Angela Merkel
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Hillary Clinton
- Beyonce
- Oprah
- Coco Chanel
- Cleopatra
- Joan of Arc
- Madam C. J. Walker
- Rosa Parks
- Amelia Earhart

Anyway, for all of the respect Merkel garnered during her time leading Germany, her legacy seems pretty troubled. Between leaving Germany so vulnerable to Russian pressure (economically and through its terrible military) and the austerity measures during the great recession, it's pretty rough. Given her tenure I'm sure there was a lot (good or bad) that I don't know about, though.

Anyway, the clips of the oil depot fire in Vasilkova coming out right now are insane.

Her weird hatred of LGBT people is up there as well. She voted against marriage equality even after it was destined to become law, just to leave her stamp.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Fritz the Horse posted:

Long twitter thread of observations from the last 24h https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1497716025604771842

my tl;dr - according to this guy, the Russian invasion has been somewhat plodding and cautious, they seem to want a low-cost win. Fair bit of logistical issues, Russians overall haven't been super successful. Ukrainian leadership is doing well. Kyiv is going to be bloody.

I'm coming from a place of absolutely zero expertise and insight, but this kind of thing:

https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1497716047733948417

That doesn't seem to speak well for morale, nor does it seems to indicate that the Russian soldiers have been heavily indoctrinated to think of Ukrainians as "the enemy." It could be bullshit, of course, or an outlier in terms of hostilities. Either way, it's either strangely encouraging for how little heart these Russians have for the fight, or depressing because it may only be a matter of time before war crimes escalate (as they've long passed the threshold of actually committing them) regardless.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah it's this.

He'll start screaming that the Ukranian leadership are pedophiles once someone pokes his ego the wrong way.

Starlink isn't going to be meaningfully useful anyways. It requires specialized hardware to use, which is already backordered for customers who have preordered his stupid poo poo. IT is just him taking the easy win knowing that absolutely no one is going to remember or care that he never followed through.

See Also: Fixing the water supply in Flint.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KitConstantine posted:

Anyone who thinks that should

a) think about what would happen to the seeming majority of Ukrainians who don't want to live under a puppet government

b) read this thread about how racism against Ukrainians is super common in Russia

https://twitter.com/AlexBNewhouse/status/1497722503317254150?t=lhrGf2wDhhbl7n-ERsj71Q&s=19

Yeah, it really seems like one of Putin's blind spots here was that

1) he's personally super loving racist against Ukrainians, and

2) he probably doesn't realize that Europeans and Americans perceive Ukrainians as just other white western Europeans and were thus likely to react very differently than they did when Putin blew up a bunch of, say, Syrians, or Chechens.

There's obviously a lot more to it than just that but I don't think we can pretend that it isn't part of what's going on, in both directions.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Guess who issued a call for peace, an hour after the flow of money from Russia was cut off by the SWIFT sanctions?

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1497721454250508288

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

Can I pull money from my russian bank account?

Why don't you give it a try and let us know?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mustard Iceman posted:

Guess who issued a call for peace, an hour after the flow of money from Russia was cut off by the SWIFT sanctions?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

No more Rubles for you Tulsi

Eat poo poo

Wonder what ole Glenn Greenwald's hot take is? :allears:

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

the popes toes posted:

China can do whatever the gently caress it wants, it's not sanctioned from doing business with Russia. And it doesn't have to use SWIFT to do it.

China could also eat Russia’s lunch in exchange for whatever tiny bits of support and relief they need. This all puts them into a very advantageous position. They could also probably get some deals out of the US and Europe in exchange for staying in line. I expect they’ll do whatever limits the instability and unpredictability of their nuclear northern neighbor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mustard Iceman posted:

hahahaha i bet she did

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mustard Iceman posted:

Muh Putin buxx

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

This says that Russia is denying them access to social media, but that Russia article that was posted a few posts up has all the commenters claiming that the 'West' has cut them off.

Hmmm

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Tulsi, pray tell. What point was Mr. Putin trying to make?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, it really seems like one of Putin's blind spots here was that

1) he's personally super loving racist against Ukrainians, and

2) he probably doesn't realize that Europeans and Americans perceive Ukrainians as just other white western Europeans and were thus likely to react very differently than they did when Putin blew up a bunch of, say, Syrians, or Chechens.

There's obviously a lot more to it than just that but I don't think we can pretend that it isn't part of what's going on, in both directions.

Ah yes but some Ukrainians are racist against russians! Did you know that since Crimea some russian speakers in Ukraine feel slightly uncomfortable or that they are unfairly lumped in with putin? Both sides you see...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Wonder what ole Glenn Greenwald's hot take is? :allears:

We'll never know because his news segment was immediately interrupted by a rambling Trump diatribe

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1497732901886119939

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1497730572659134469

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1497733342086647809

lol

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

This goes back days now, but legitimately, wtf did Putin expect. Did his own propaganda delude him into thinking Ukrainians would just give up and let the government get deposed? That they would declare Kyiv a free city?

I'm so perplexed by this whole affair.

I think he hoped 'till the last minute before starting the war that this whole crisis could be avoided, since he knew for sure that it would make him look like the new coming of Satan on earth.
The real question that we should ask ourselves is right the opposite: what our western leaders thought it would happen if we deceive Ukraine that it could enter NATO or the European Union and and let it become the western bastion against the evil evil russians?
and expect the evil Russia to not intervene?
Crazy thoughts for sure, but all the fault is on our western leaders hands for the incoming bloodbath (don't even think you've seen yet the real destructive power of the russian warmachine).

Knightsoul fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 27, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

We'll never know because his news segment was immediately interrupted by a rambling Trump diatribe

That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen happen on TV. I would love it if the irony were not lost on him and it caused him to reflect on what paths his life has taken, but that's probably hoping for too much.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Putin: take Kharkov or Kiev by Monday, I don’t care how many bodies it generates.

https://twitter.com/euromaidanpr/status/1497720822953353222?s=21

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Before this all began I was expecting something closer to the fictional performance of the Soviet Army as depicted in the novel Red Army by Ralph Peters which is a cool and interesting book.

One thing that comes to mind is historically the Russian army was able to recover from military misfortunes, reverse course and come back strong. During the Napoleonic Wars for instance, the 19th century was a series of Russia fumbling the ball and kinda getting better and modernizing; WW1 is a bit of an exception but the Brusilov Offensive is pretty exceptional in terms of a success and it broke the back of Austria-Hungary. The border conflicts with Japan and Finland and then of course the Great Patriotic War all showed that Russia could sustain extremely lopsided defeats, reassess, make the right decisions to fix things, and drag themselves to the finish line.

But I wonder if between Covid and Putin's regime and the post-Soviet breakup in general costing them access to skilled leaders has potentially damaged their ability to correct course to solve the various issues that are now plaguing their operations. Or if Putin, like Hitler, is micromanaging his generals to the point that they can't course correct?

Crazy to think that Russia might actually fail in its invasion; but maybe they might still correct their mistakes in which case I hope for the best for Ukraine.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

very cool twitter ty for sharing

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ZombieLenin posted:

Putin: take Kharkov or Kiev by Monday, I don’t care how many bodies it generates.

https://twitter.com/euromaidanpr/status/1497720822953353222?s=21

But of course this isn’t an embarrassment for Russia and we’re silly for thinking it

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I've said it before but it bears repeating: there's a good chance that part of Putin's risk assessment when it comes to invading Ukraine is that his lapdog will be back in the White House after 2024 and reversing the worst of the sanctions.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Admin edit: do not ask goons to commit federal crimes.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Former Finnish Prime Minister forcefully dispelling the myth of Finland's neutrality.

https://twitter.com/alexstubb/status/1497619756760895489?t=wG5VjTT1FRhhxaktIx7_Jw&s=19

Interesting interview he had with Sky News

https://youtu.be/GaKrbP3MGqU

Sounds like the Finnish military isn't something to gently caress with

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 27, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Someone who hasn't opened that site should check if rt.com and the Kremlin website is still up, to me it says they are down but then I am probably identified as an attacker.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Please do not click on random suspicious internet links.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
First of all, dds attacks, while I support the motivation are still illegal, so keep that in mind.

Second of all… RT.com is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Can we not post this fuckhole here? He’s irrelevant and I’d rather not see his stupid face.